20110428

Revision 15 as of 2011-03-31 04:06:52

Clear message

March 10th, 2011, 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Agenda

Action Items from last meeting

  • ogra to determine if mono still crashes on tegra

Standing Items

Meeting Outcome

[15:02] <NCommander> #startmeeting
[15:02] <ogra_> GrueMaster, can you poke him ?
[15:02] <MootBot> Meeting started at 10:02. The chair is NCommander.
[15:02] <MootBot> Commands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]
[15:02] <ogra_> ah :)
[15:02] <NCommander> Had to retrieve my laptop charger from underneath someone
[15:02] <ogra_> someone eh ?
[15:02] <ogra_> who is she ?
[15:03] <NCommander> ogra_: random bodies on the couch
[15:03] <ogra_> oh, more than one
[15:03] <GrueMaster> I had a bunch of rain soaked campers show up late last night.
[15:03] <rsalveti> hahah
[15:03] <NCommander> [link] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Meeting/2011/20110324
[15:03] <MootBot> LINK received:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Meeting/2011/20110324
[15:03] <NCommander> [topic] Action Item Review
[15:03] <MootBot> New Topic:  Action Item Review
[15:04] <NCommander> [topic] ogra to determine if mono still crashes on tegra
[15:04] <MootBot> New Topic:  ogra to determine if mono still crashes on tegra
[15:04] <janimo> hi
[15:05]  * NCommander pokes ogra_ 
[15:05] <ogra_> NCommander, c/o
[15:05] <NCommander> ogra_: k
[15:05] <NCommander> [topic] Standing Items
[15:05] <MootBot> New Topic:  Standing Items
[15:05] <NCommander> [link] http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/natty/ubuntu-armel.html
[15:05] <MootBot> LINK received:  http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/natty/ubuntu-armel.html
[15:06] <NCommander> [link] http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/natty/ubuntu-armel-ubuntu-11.04-beta-1.html
[15:06] <MootBot> LINK received:  http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/natty/ubuntu-armel-ubuntu-11.04-beta-1.html
[15:06] <rsalveti> just moved one WI from edid bp to done, the others will wait until beginning of next week, then if not yet done will move it
[15:07] <rsalveti> had to spend more time than I wanted with the pvr drivers
[15:07]  * ogra_ wishes ff4 wouldnt lock his machine all the time
[15:08] <NCommander> anything else or can I move one?
[15:08] <GrueMaster> I will have my task completed next week.
[15:08]  * ogra_ didnt have a chance to look at the tracker yet
[15:08] <ogra_> one sec
[15:09] <ogra_> ff4 is really unhappy on arm wrt RAM usage
[15:09] <ogra_> move, looks fine
[15:09] <ogra_> (sorry for delaying)
[15:10] <rsalveti> NCommander: move! :-)
[15:10]  * ogra_ will kill the serial tty stuff, wont go into upstart, is better in jasper now
[15:10] <GrueMaster> He's having network issues.
[15:10] <ogra_> and the kbd bug will be postponed
[15:10] <NCommander> [[to[topic] Unity 2D Status
[15:10] <ogra_> GrueMaster, tell the guys on the sofa to move off the network cable then
[15:11] <NCommander> [topic] Unity 2D Status
[15:11] <MootBot> New Topic:  Unity 2D Status
[15:11] <ogra_> we have 3.8 since yesterday :)
[15:11] <ogra_> closed over 60 bugs
[15:11] <rsalveti> \o/
[15:11] <ogra_> please test as soon as netbook builds again
[15:11]  * ogra_ really likes it
[15:11] <NCommander> ogra_: can we have changelog messages that are useful to glance at without referencing a lot of LP bugs? kthxbye :-P
[15:11] <GrueMaster> I'll do a dist-upgrade today.
[15:12] <ogra_> NCommander, nope
[15:12] <ogra_> not if i have to manually add >60 entries myself :P
[15:12] <GrueMaster> ogra_: I few of the others here in pdx were also commenting on that.
[15:12] <GrueMaster> Apparently there is a tool to do this.
[15:12] <ogra_> GrueMaster, i'm trying to teach upstream to use dch but they arent there yet
[15:13] <ogra_> the list of bugs was necessary for the lp janitor
[15:13] <ogra_> else i would have left that one out too like i usually do
[15:13] <ogra_> anyway, move
[15:13] <NCommander> ogra_: your the maintainer, when I look at changelogs, I expect sometihng useful :-P.
[15:13] <NCommander> [topic] Kernel Status (cooloney, rsalveti)
[15:13] <MootBot> New Topic:  Kernel Status (cooloney, rsalveti)
[15:14] <ogra_> NCommander, look at the treee then
[15:14] <rsalveti> Ubuntu-2.6.38-1206.8 just uploaded for omap4
[15:14] <ogra_> will need a rebuild though
[15:14] <rsalveti> this kernel should have better support for wifi, full hdmi support and SGX compatible
[15:14] <ogra_> new gcc was uploaded too ... right afterwards
[15:14] <NCommander> ow
[15:15] <rsalveti> ogra_: after this kernel hits the archive you can remove the cmd arguments for dvi
[15:15] <ogra_> rsalveti, yep, on my list
[15:15] <ogra_> the question is if images are buildable again *before* the new kernel is there :)
[15:16] <rsalveti> :-)
[15:16] <ogra_> i doubt the kernel has settled before saturday
[15:16] <rsalveti> probably
[15:16] <rsalveti> I also updated the SGX kernel module to be compatible with 38, so it should just work now if you install the sgx packages from tiomap-dev/trunk ppa
[15:17] <ogra_> btw, given that ppisati does SRUs and the like, he should probably be added to this topic too :)
[15:17] <rsalveti> after it's properly tested I'll move the sgx stuff to the release ppa, and we can start testing the ti icon again
[15:17] <ogra_> in case he has to report anything
[15:17] <rsalveti> ogra_: yeah, makes sense
[15:18] <ogra_> and to give GrueMaster a chance to whine at him for having to test all these old releases ;)
[15:18] <rsalveti> NCommander: can you also add ppisati to the topic?
[15:18] <janimo> rsalveti, no sgx drivers into restricted/multiverse this cycle?
[15:18] <GrueMaster> I get plenty of whineing in on #ubuntu-kernel.  :P
[15:18] <rsalveti> janimo: not yet, still waiting some more updates from TI (and IMG)
[15:18] <NCommander> [topic] ARM Porting/FTBFS status (NCommander, janimo)
[15:18] <MootBot> New Topic:  ARM Porting/FTBFS status (NCommander, janimo)
[15:18] <rsalveti> janimo: so not to a point that we'll get just bugixing
[15:18] <NCommander> bah
[15:18] <NCommander> damn lag
[15:19] <lag> NCommander: Grrrrrrrrrr
[15:19] <GrueMaster> heh
[15:19] <ogra_> he is in linaro now
[15:19] <GrueMaster> That makes it worse.  :P
[15:19] <NCommander> lag: not you, referring to latency
[15:20] <NCommander> anyway
[15:20] <ogra_> that linaro has the lag ?
[15:20] <NCommander> ANYWAY
[15:20] <ogra_> :)
[15:20] <ogra_> is mono fixed ?
[15:20] <NCommander> I stumbled upon a workaround for mono last night that allows us to disable SMP for it
[15:21] <rsalveti> ogra_: 2.6.38-1206.7 finished building already, but don't know yet if it's in the archive
[15:21] <NCommander> I need to code a patch to make this the default behavior on ARM, but f-spot and banshee appear to work properly
[15:21] <janimo> NCommander, you mean mono to only use one core?
[15:21] <GrueMaster> I tested this on panda last night.  It does work, and better than panda running nosmp.
[15:21] <janimo> good news!
[15:21] <ogra_> awesome !
[15:21] <NCommander> janimo: yeah, which sidesteps the whole Mono on ARM dies horribly on SMP machines
[15:21] <NCommander> I poked upstream .
[15:22] <janimo> it's a good workaround I guess
[15:22] <rsalveti> awesome
[15:22] <NCommander> but they haven't responded with a good way to debug the ARM specific code for SMP safety, and nothing obvious jumps up
[15:22] <janimo> rsalveti, but the SGX stuff is planned for inclusion into the archives just blocked right now?
[15:23] <janimo> NCommander, and the issue is present on 2.10 as well?
[15:23] <NCommander> Question: since we have *gasp* a working mono*/gasp*, are we going to change our seeds to now resemble the desktop versions of Ubuntu
[15:23] <janimo> once the mono package is updated I'd say yes
[15:23] <ogra_> we will drop RB and pull in banshee
[15:24] <NCommander> janimo: yes still screwing around with it, but I'm seeing if theres a way to run mono under valgrind which one would hope find the damn SMP headache
[15:24] <ogra_> not sure what other mono apps are in desktop
[15:24] <GrueMaster> f-spot
[15:24] <NCommander> ogra_: f-spot + tomboy
[15:24] <ogra_> huh ?
[15:24] <ogra_> f-spot is gone since maverick
[15:24] <rsalveti> janimo: I'll try to request the inclusion, once we get what will be the final version for this cycle, but the dev is still going heavily atm
[15:24] <GrueMaster> I thought they brought it back.
[15:24]  * GrueMaster checks.
[15:24] <ogra_> i dont think so
[15:25] <ogra_> but i'll compare the seeds if i have to make the changes
[15:25] <ogra_> as soon as i get a go for it
[15:25] <NCommander> I'll cook up something today or tomorrow and upload
[15:25] <ogra_> no hurry
[15:25] <rsalveti> banshee should be our best test case
[15:25] <ogra_> qeueu is    so full it will take days anyway
[15:25] <NCommander> rsalveti: unfortnately without workign sound on Panda it is a tad difficult to know if it works fully
[15:26] <ogra_> NCommander, though dont forget we're frozen
[15:26] <rsalveti> as f-spot is out for shotwell
[15:26] <ogra_> beta-1 freeze kicks in later today
[15:26] <NCommander> ogra_: I'll poke the release team
[15:26] <GrueMaster> Just checked x86 manifest.  Still shotwell.
[15:26] <janimo> NCommander, aren't there some pulse audio trick to redirect sound to another machine?
[15:26] <ogra_> not sure they want to take the risk for other arches
[15:26]  * NCommander whimpers in fear at janimo's suggestion
[15:26] <NCommander> ogra_: its going to be a patch wrapped with #ifdef ARM
[15:27] <ogra_> great
[15:27] <ogra_> -that should work
[15:27] <NCommander> anyway
[15:27] <NCommander> moving on
[15:27] <NCommander> [topic] ARM Image Status (ogra, NCommander)
[15:27] <MootBot> New Topic:  ARM Image Status (ogra, NCommander)
[15:27] <ogra_> headless is perfect !
[15:27] <ogra_> all our preinstalled images are fully preseedable on cmdline now
[15:27] <NCommander> ogra_: cool, I didn't know you found a way to run without your head!
[15:27]  * NCommander ducks
[15:28] <ogra_> (will add preseed file support in OO)
[15:28] <ogra_> NCommander, google for stoertebeker ;) we northern gearmans are famouos for running without head
[15:28] <NCommander> ogra_: I won't know :-)
[15:29] <ogra_> i havent looked at netbook for about two weeks, GrueMaster do you know what happened to the gnome-settings-daemon issue ?
[15:29] <ogra_> i havent seen a bug for it and didnt file one either
[15:29] <GrueMaster> It was still there on the 0321 image, but updating fixed it.
[15:29] <ogra_> but if it still happens i'd call that a beta blocker
[15:29] <ogra_> oh, and our omap3 builder seems to be broken
[15:30] <ogra_> i pinged lamont in -release earlier today and also generally pinged in #is but didnt get any answers yet
[15:30] <GrueMaster> Not sure if an update actually fixed it or something shook loose.  May still happen on fresh image.
[15:30] <ogra_> yeah, we need to check that asap
[15:30] <GrueMaster> Hard w/o a fresh image.
[15:30] <ogra_> but with the archive as it is now itr will still take a while until we can build again
[15:31] <ogra_> GrueMaster, dont tell me
[15:31] <ogra_> working on headless was real fun :)
[15:31] <ogra_> nothing holds up rebuilds
[15:31] <ogra_> anyway, NCommander move
[15:31] <NCommander> [topic] QA Status (GrueMaster)
[15:31] <MootBot> New Topic:  QA Status (GrueMaster)
[15:32] <GrueMaster> Testing SRU kernels for dove seems to be the highlight of the week.  3 kernels at one time in proposed.
[15:32] <ogra_> fun
[15:32] <GrueMaster> Made sure the latest kernel had all of the previous fixes prior to testing.
[15:33] <GrueMaster> Also started looking into some other more obscure bugs that are still open.
[15:34] <GrueMaster> Installed unity-2d-latest on maverick from daily ppa.  Works much better so far.
[15:34] <ogra_> natty would be more intresting though
[15:34] <GrueMaster> I wish they would add natty to their daily builds.
[15:34] <ogra_> since -2d uses bits and pieces that are only in natty
[15:35] <GrueMaster> They keep telling me to retest with daily on maverick when I run into bugs.
[15:35] <GrueMaster> They only build natty daily for x86 I think.
[15:36] <ogra_> well, it doesnt help much to test on maverick if the bug is in interaction with other    desktop pieces
[15:36] <GrueMaster> Don't tell me.
[15:36] <ogra_> indicator, bamf and the dash protocol are completely different
[15:36] <ogra_> but we have the latest in natty now
[15:37] <GrueMaster> So, should I pull my own bzr tree and do my own daily builds?  I really don't have the resources to do that.
[15:37] <ogra_> i also expect development to slow down a bit with the freezes getting colder
[15:38] <NCommander> anything else or can I move on?
[15:38] <GrueMaster> move
[15:38] <NCommander> [topic] AOB
[15:38] <MootBot> New Topic:  AOB
[15:40] <ogra_> everyone tell Amaranth to hurry up with compiz fixing for GLES :)
[15:40] <Amaranth> If I could get a working GLES stack somewhere :/
[15:40] <ogra_> yeah, blame mesa :P
[15:41] <ogra_> Amaranth, as discussed above, rsalveti has new drivers that will work with the new kernel :)
[15:42] <ogra_> NCommander, time to close ?
[15:42] <NCommander> #endmeeting
[15:42] <MootBot> Meeting finished at 10:42.

Action Items

Weekly Reports

Michael Casadevall (NCommander)

  • Mono workaround completed, tested, and deployed

Minutes