A common technique for user interface design is to create a set of personas, fictional characters who will be using the software and have different needs. Canonical have a set of personas for the design team of Ubuntu, one of which is a visually impaired user. This area of the wiki is a project by the accessibilty team to expand the set of design personas to include a wider variety of different users with accessibility needs. Some considerations on creating accessibility personas are documented elsewhere. Each one should have a name and a background, they should seem as real as possible, whilst being completely fictional. The description should include what their needs are and what they find difficult to do with the current release of Ubuntu.
To assist in completing personas, a survey was sent out and results compiled. The Accessibility Team was able to use this imformation to compile personas regarding disabled users.
- Principal impairment: Deaf
- Nationality: Australian
- Age: 32
- Job: John runs a small business in Australia making sprockets for whatsits
pad link: http://pad.ubuntu-uk.org/john
- Drafter: dutchie
- Principal impairment: Blind
- Nationality: Argentinian
- Age: 18
- Job: Daniela is studying sociology at university, she is very sporty and represents the university in swimming. She would like to get into the squad for the 2012 paralympic games in London.
- Principal impairment: Partially Sighted
- Nationality: French
- Age: 62
- Job: Simon is a mathematician working on analysis of data from the LHC at CERN, he is approaching retirement and likes to video conference with his grandchildren
pad link: http://pad.ubuntu-uk.org/simon
- Drafter: dutchie
- Principal impairment: Motor skills/dexterity
- Secondary impairment: Colour Blind
- Nationality: Indian
- Age: 28
- Job: Faisal is a primary school teacher for 5-8 year olds.
- Principal impairment: Cognitive (memory, confusion)
- Nationality: American
- Age: 40
- Job: Looking after chickens in the Midwest
pad link: http://pad.ubuntu-uk.org/henrietta
- assignee: MichelleQ