mootbot

Differences between revisions 1 and 14 (spanning 13 versions)
Revision 1 as of 2010-02-07 18:48:17
Size: 453
Editor: alanbell
Comment:
Revision 14 as of 2010-03-26 20:51:50
Size: 22395
Editor: alanbell
Comment:
Deletions are marked like this. Additions are marked like this.
Line 1: Line 1:
just a place for testing a mootbot with moin wiki output
== Meeting started by AlanBell at 18:47 ==
'''AlanBell''' good

'''AlanBell''' our first topic is

'''AlanBell''' [topic] putting a blank line between things people say

'''AlanBell''' so that they dont

'''AlanBell''' get rammed together

'''AlanBell''' and upset the wiki

'''AlanBell''' #endmeeting

----
Meeting ended at 18:47
People Present:
 * AlanBell

Meeting ended
||<tablestyle="float:right; font-size: 0.9em; width:40%; background:#F1F1ED; margin: 0 0 1em 1em;" style="padding:0.5em;"><<TableOfContents>>||
= Meeting opened by akgraner at 21:00 =
{{{#!IRC
[21:00] <akgraner> #startmeeting
[21:00] <Mootbot-UK> Meeting started at 21:00. The chair is akgraner.
[21:00] <Mootbot-UK> Commands Available: [TOPIC], [PROGRESS REPORT], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]
[21:00] <akgraner> hi all!
[21:01] * pleia2 waves
[21:01] <akgraner> time to get started :-) who's here for the UW Project meeting today?
[21:01] <rww> o/
[21:01] <Pendulum> o/
[21:01] <akk> o/
[21:01] <etali> o/
[21:02] <akgraner> while we wait to see who else is joining here's the agenda - [LINK] - http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/March2010/Agenda
[21:02] <akgraner> oops
[21:02] <akgraner> [LINK] - http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/March2010/Agenda
[21:02] <akgraner> [LINK] - http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/March2010/Agenda
[21:02] <Mootbot-UK> LINK received: - http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/March2010/Agenda
}}}
||<#FF5555>'' - http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/March2010/Agenda''||
{{{#!IRC
[21:02] <akgraner> there we go - grrr!
[21:03] <akgraner> 3rd time is the charm right
[21:03] <pleia2> :)
[21:03] <akgraner> we have a packed agenda and I hope everyone had a chance to read the info on the mailing list about about most of the items :-)
[21:04] <akgraner> [TOPIC] - OPEN ITEM - UW PROJECT PR TEAM - Ubuntu Women PR team. Should we have a team responsible for both official project responses to publicized problems within the Ubuntu community relating to women in open source and for publicizing team activities and information.
[21:04] <Mootbot-UK> New Topic: - OPEN ITEM - UW PROJECT PR TEAM - Ubuntu Women PR team. Should we have a team responsible for both official project responses to publicized problems within the Ubuntu community relating to women in open source and for publicizing team activities and information.
}}}
== - OPEN ITEM - UW PROJECT PR TEAM - Ubuntu Women PR team. Should we have a team responsible for both official project responses to publicized problems within the Ubuntu community relating to women in open source and for publicizing team activities and information. ==
{{{#!IRC
[21:04] <akgraner> Any thoughts on this?
[21:04] <pleia2> I would really like to see this - we already sort of have one but it's unclear how to get involved in planning (leading to "wow, international women's day competition announced and I had no idea "we" were planning this?")
[21:04] <Pendulum> I agree
[21:05] <akgraner> *nods*
[21:05] <akgraner> I sent this to the mailing list and didn't get much of a response
[21:06] * pleia2 nods
[21:06] <Pendulum> also, I think there's sometimes some confusion with whether people blogging are speaking for the project or for themselves (this ties into the idea of having a UW blog which I would think could be one of the things the PR team is in charge of)
[21:06] <pleia2> Pendulum: good point
[21:06] <etali> Forgive me if this is a silly question, but what would a formal PR team be responsible for that members don't already do?
[21:06] <etali> I thought people in general already tweeted / blogged, etc to spread the word?
[21:07] <hypa7ia> it might be nice to have an actual uw blog
[21:07] <pleia2> the blog would also be great for prettier links to our stuff - linking to a mailing list archive isn't particularly user friendly, people hate plain test (so they end up linking out *our* individual blogs instead anyway)
[21:07] <akgraner> the blog would not be what we see on the uw planet I wouldn't think but a way to get the word out on what we as a team are doing
[21:08] <Pendulum> I know when I've discussed this with a couple people in UW, one thing we also talked about is having a PR team so that if we ever get asked for some sort of formal "what does UW think?" when something comes up in the community that may be gender related
[21:08] <pleia2> Pendulum: I don't think we want to get into the game of "what do *we* think" when it comes to gender stuff
[21:08] <pleia2> "we" think every opinion on the planet, probably ;)
[21:08] <pleia2> I like that our members still speak individually on those things
[21:09] <Pendulum> fair enough :)
[21:09] <pleia2> etali: sometimes projects like international women's days are much more easily handled by a core group of folks really interested
[21:09] <pleia2> so they can all be Cced on requests to sponsors, etc
[21:09] <akgraner> I know on the NC team with our blog - we are using it like pleia2 suggested above
[21:10] <etali> A central blog does sound like a good idea. A list of people willing to speak on gender issues might be nice too?
[21:10] <akgraner> we just have a section on there for that
[21:11] <akgraner> I would think?
[21:11] <pleia2> yeah
[21:11] <pleia2> or link to geekspeakr's section on it
[21:12] <akgraner> any reason why we can't just set up a wordpress one and see how it does?
[21:12] <akgraner> works, goes etc...
[21:12] <akgraner> we can always roll it to a domain later if it's working out well
[21:13] <akgraner> thoughts?
[21:13] <Pendulum> do we need to figure out who will have access to post to it first?
[21:13] <akgraner> so the Blog will act as the PR point then right?
[21:13] <pleia2> akgraner: I'd think so
[21:13] * etali thinks it is a good idea and would like to help if it goes ahead
[21:13] <Pendulum> makes sense to me
[21:13] <althara> I think that is a good idea
[21:13] <pleia2> and we can just submit an RT ticket to get blog.ubuntu-women.org pointed somewhere
[21:14] <pleia2> I can offer hosting with access for whoever wants it, but I'm sure others can too :)
[21:14] <hypa7ia> pleia2: we should probably try to keep things on canonical inf, no?
[21:14] <pleia2> hypa7ia: canonical doesn't support wordpress afaik
[21:15] <akgraner> and it's slow getting stuff from them at times
[21:15] <pleia2> only old drupal, and the sysadmins aren't particulary responsive (getting our wiki updated took a year or so)
[21:15] <akgraner> so wordpress? yes? no?
[21:15] <pleia2> I like wordpress
[21:15] <Pendulum> so do I
[21:16] <rww> I do also (and like this idea in general; sorry, I was distracted :)
[21:16] <akgraner> it's pretty easy for anyone who wants to contribute to use as well
[21:16] <etali> Most people know how to use it, so probably best choice
[21:16] <akgraner> so access? any suggestions there?
[21:17] <pleia2> I think we can give any established members of the team access to posting
[21:17] <etali> Does .com allow different levels? E.g. the leaders have admin rights, other volunteers get rights to post / edit their own posts as required?
[21:17] <hypa7ia> yeah, i think so etali
[21:17] <akgraner> word press allows you to set permissions like that iirc
[21:18] <rww> I'd say make a list of subjects that are on-topic for it (only event announcements vs. other related stuff, etc...), and then let any established team members post.
[21:18] <pleia2> rww: +1
[21:18] <akgraner> rww, +1
[21:18] <akgraner> ok date to get this in place by?
[21:19] <akgraner> 1 month from now?
[21:19] <akgraner> end of April?
[21:19] <pleia2> I think interested folks should discuss technical details offline and come up with a timeline
[21:19] <pleia2> er, out of meeting :)
[21:19] <akgraner> +1
[21:19] <etali> +1
[21:19] <akgraner> pleia2, can you send something to mailing list?
[21:20] <pleia2> akgraner: sure thing
[21:20] <akgraner> [ACTION] - pleia2 to send information on New Wordpress UW Blog establishment
[21:20] <Mootbot-UK> ACTION received: - pleia2 to send information on New Wordpress UW Blog establishment
[21:20] <akgraner> thanks pleia2 :-)
[21:21] <akgraner> ok moving on - I moved Election ahead of -M goals
[21:21] <akgraner> [TOPIC] - OPEN ITEM -UW PROJECT LEADER ELECTIONS - UW Project Team Election of Leader(s)
[21:21] <akgraner> [LINK] -https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2010-March/002578.html
[21:21] <Mootbot-UK> New Topic: - OPEN ITEM -UW PROJECT LEADER ELECTIONS - UW Project Team Election of Leader(s)
[21:21] <Mootbot-UK> LINK received: -https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2010-March/002578.html
[21:21] <akgraner> Did everyone get a chance to read the proposed details that was sent to the mailing list?
[21:22] <akgraner> if so any thoughts?
[21:22] <akgraner> or do I need to go over the proposal details?
[21:22] <pleia2> it all sounded good to me
[21:23] <akgraner> so anyone have objections for just forgoing one leader and just voting for 3 co-leaders in the elections?
[21:24] <Pendulum> nope
[21:24] <akgraner> that way we can have a great cross-section of the team - hopefully leaders in different time zones - and with different skill sets and interests
[21:24] * pleia2 nods
[21:25] <althara> I think that's a great idea
[21:25] <akgraner> ok I'll get the wiki updated and get the schedule announced
[21:26] <akgraner> [ACTION] - akgraner to get the wiki updated and get the schedule announced for upcoming elections
[21:26] <Mootbot-UK> ACTION received: - akgraner to get the wiki updated and get the schedule announced for upcoming elections
[21:26] <akgraner> [TOPIC] - OPEN ITEM - UDS-M BLUEPRINTS AND OBJECTIVES - Blueprints/goals for UDS-M. Review of UDS-L Blueprint identify what still needs to be done. Start discussion of goals for -M. Suggested Goals for -M (Added to agenda for this meeting to start the conversation about goals for -M. Blueprint to be finalized and in LP on or before April 17th)
[21:26] <akgraner> [LINK] - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2010-March/002569.html
[21:26] <Mootbot-UK> New Topic: - OPEN ITEM - UDS-M BLUEPRINTS AND OBJECTIVES - Blueprints/goals for UDS-M. Review of UDS-L Blueprint identify what still needs to be done. Start discussion of goals for -M. Suggested Goals for -M (Added to agenda for this meeting to start the conversation about goals for -M. Blueprint to be finalized and in LP on or before April 17th)
[21:26] <Mootbot-UK> LINK received: - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2010-March/002569.html
[21:27] <akgraner> again info on this topic went to mailing list - hopefully everyone had a chance to ready this as well - if not I have pasted the link above
[21:28] <pleia2> looks good to me
[21:28] <akgraner> UDS-M is around the corner and to make sure all those who want to be involved in the goals for the next cycle can be we have a list of suggestions
[21:29] <pleia2> I think we do want to have some solid goals attached to some of these things though
[21:29] <pleia2> the first three are a bit "encourage people to" and so don't really have goals
[21:29] <akgraner> the list is pretty long and while we accomplished all the goals for the -L cycle, I would hesitate to add them all to the Blueprint we can also add more as we finish whats on them
[21:30] <akgraner> so any thoughts on which 3?
[21:30] <akgraner> to start with
[21:30] <pleia2> 4-6 are my favorites
[21:31] <akgraner> I agree the 1st 3 are just a matter of setting things up tracking them and encouraging people
[21:31] <althara> Area 3, 4, 6/7 are my favorites
[21:31] <akgraner> let me post the ideas in here
[21:32] <althara> and I think 5 is important because hte website is a bit stale
[21:32] <pleia2> althara: me too
[21:32] <etali> 5 matches well with the blog stuff discussed earlier too.
[21:32] <pleia2> I kind of wince when I link people to it these days :)
[21:32] <akgraner> the are exactly like the mailing list numbers but for sake of getting them in the meeting I'll post the ones from the agenda and link to the mailing list in the notes
[21:33] <etali> Was the mentoring thing one of the goals? (My net connection is acting up and the link won't open so can't look :( )
[21:33] <pleia2> etali: yep
[21:33] <althara> etali: #4 is the mentoring thing
[21:33] <akgraner> [IDEA] - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M - Enrollment - (UW Project on LP, mailing list, and forum participation)
[21:33] <Mootbot-UK> IDEA received: - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M - Enrollment - (UW Project on LP, mailing list, and forum participation)
[21:33] <etali> Thanks! #4 gets my vote then.
[21:33] <akgraner> [IDEA] - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M -Online Team Activity- (Wiki, Website, Blogging, Mailing list discussions, Forum Discussions, LoCo teams, Ubuntu weeks)
[21:33] <Mootbot-UK> IDEA received: - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M -Online Team Activity- (Wiki, Website, Blogging, Mailing list discussions, Forum Discussions, LoCo teams, Ubuntu weeks)
[21:33] <akgraner> IDEA] - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M - Resources - marketing (ie poster, business cards, fliers)
[21:34] <akgraner> [IDEA] - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M - Knowledge Base - review and see what else if anything is needed
[21:34] <Mootbot-UK> IDEA received: - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M - Knowledge Base - review and see what else if anything is needed
[21:34] <akgraner> [IDEA] - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M - Community Activity/Event Participation - (Conferences, LUG, LoCo, Camps, Fests etc)
[21:34] <Mootbot-UK> IDEA received: - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M - Community Activity/Event Participation - (Conferences, LUG, LoCo, Camps, Fests etc)
[21:34] <akgraner> [TOPIC] - OPEN ITEM - MENTORING PROGRAM - Reviving the http://ubuntu-women.org/mentoring.html . Why? Ubuntu has many training programs and yet some folks forget that its sometimes harder to ask silly questions and learn with a room full of strangers on irc. Some points to consider:
[21:34] <Mootbot-UK> New Topic: - OPEN ITEM - MENTORING PROGRAM - Reviving the http://ubuntu-women.org/mentoring.html . Why? Ubuntu has many training programs and yet some folks forget that its sometimes harder to ask silly questions and learn with a room full of strangers on irc. Some points to consider:
[21:35] <akgraner> oops I have Mentoring as seperate topic :-)
[21:35] <akgraner> so for UDS - Mentoring Program, Website and ?
[21:35] <akgraner> well blueprint for the -M cycle goals for the project
[21:36] <pleia2> logo?
[21:36] <pleia2> the t-shirt idea is neat and fun, but I think it needs to wait for the logo
[21:36] <althara> agreed
[21:36] <akgraner> agreed
[21:36] <pleia2> and a site redesign with old logo.. :\
[21:36] * maco likes the old logo
[21:36] <althara> also agreed
[21:36] <pleia2> I love the old logo
[21:36] <akgraner> so old logo new color theme maybe
[21:37] <althara> I agree
[21:37] <pleia2> maybe a discussion is in order about this, does it actually need refreshing with the new branding?
[21:37] <akgraner> use the new orange color and the Aubergine for the words maybe
[21:37] <akgraner> I like it the Logo
[21:38] <akgraner> however I <3 purple er Aubergine - so would love to see words in purple :-) but that is just me
[21:38] <althara> just so we are all up to date. ARe the official ubuntu colors changing?
[21:38] <akgraner> and in new font
[21:38] <akk> I'm confused about the new colors -- the page everyone was showing showed about 6 new ubuntu color themes
[21:39] <pleia2> althara: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand
[21:39] <akk> some orange, some purple
[21:39] <maco> althara: yes, eggplant and orangy
[21:39] <akgraner> according to what I read on Marks blog the circle of friends is going to be the thing that stays the same
[21:39] <maco> akk: the theme is a mix of them together
[21:39] <maco> akk: mark explained that they use more purple on more corporate stuff and more orange on more community stuff
[21:39] <akgraner> and that orange will represent community and purple will represent Canonical
[21:39] <maco> akk: but always both are there
[21:40] <akgraner> so if you see more purple - the it's corporate
[21:40] <akgraner> is you see more orange it's community
[21:40] <akk> None of the logos on that page seem to have purple -- they're all the baby-aspirin orange.
[21:40] <akk> Or a slightly darker orange.
[21:40] <maco> hahahah baby aspirin orange
[21:41] <pleia2> the brainstorm logo is purple, the splash screen at the bottom is purple
[21:41] <akk> Wow, that splash screen at the bottom looks off-black to me.
[21:42] <pleia2> brainstorm is dark, but the splash screen is definitely purple on my screen
[21:42] <akgraner> [LINK] - sabdfl 's post on the new theme - http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/308
[21:42] <Mootbot-UK> LINK received: - sabdfl 's post on the new theme - http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/308
[21:43] <akk> yep, if I use gimp's color picker and boost Value I can see the hue is purple -- but the screen sure doesn't look it here.
[21:43] <akgraner> I should clarify what I said on "official" publications, banners etc - that is how I understood the colors were going to be used
[21:44] <akgraner> Change the logo or no? - I like it :-) but would like to incorporate new font if nothing else (when the font is ready that is)
[21:44] <althara> I think just changing the font is good
[21:45] <pleia2> me too
[21:45] <althara> With the range of colors that the new theme is we could spend months debating on what to change things to
[21:45] <akgraner> so - mentoring, website, logo - and then we can add stuff as needed to blue print from the list of suggestions on mailing list?
[21:46] <pleia2> +1
[21:46] <althara> +1
[21:46] <akk> +1 on changing the font.
[21:46] <akk> and +1 on the akgraner's suggestion too.
[21:46] <akgraner> and we can have someone do a couple different ideas for the logo that we have using new color theme and see what we like then
[21:47] <akgraner> [ACTION] - akgraner to add website, mentoring and logo to blueprints for -M cycle
[21:47] <Mootbot-UK> ACTION received: - akgraner to add website, mentoring and logo to blueprints for -M cycle
[21:48] <akgraner> I'll leave off the names of who is doing what for now - but just get the blueprint created
[21:48] <akgraner> well get those items added - and get the roadmap for -M ready to go
[21:49] <maco> akk: turn up your screen's brightness ;-)
[21:49] <akgraner> is that ok with everyone?
[21:49] <pleia2> souns good
[21:49] <maco> +1 on the font thing too
[21:50] <akgraner> ok we have about 10 mins left - any objection to moving on to new items? or any thoughts on old items before I move on?
[21:51] <etali> no objections here
[21:51] <akgraner> no? ok new items
[21:51] <akgraner> [TOPIC] - New Items - Team Meeting Day and Times - Discuss results from meeting poll and set - reliable, predictable and reoccurring team meetings that alternate between 2 timezones that best meets the needs of the team.
[21:51] <akgraner> [TOPIC] - New Items - Team Meeting Day and Times - Discuss results from meeting poll and set - reliable, predictable and reoccurring team meetings that alternate between 2 timezones that best meets the needs of the team.
[21:51] <Mootbot-UK> New Topic: - New Items - Team Meeting Day and Times - Discuss results from meeting poll and set - reliable, predictable and reoccurring team meetings that alternate between 2 timezones that best meets the needs of the team.
[21:51] <akgraner> (oh that space kills me :-)
[21:52] <akgraner> so the idea is to have 2 meetings a month so team members don't have to attend meetings at 2am or so in there time zone all the time
[21:53] <akgraner> while I had the poll up - only 7 people took the time to fill it out :-(
[21:53] <pleia2> yeah, it's frustrating
[21:54] <pleia2> what the CC does is have one in each 12 hour chunk of the day
[21:54] <akgraner> so the days that we evenly voted for were - Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday
[21:54] <etali> On paper it sounds like a great idea. Are there enough people across the two time zones to sustain two different meetings every month?
[21:54] <Pendulum> I'll admit that I didn't fill out the poll and that's partially because with the time change I currently don't know what's up and since we're in the middle of people changing times, I *really* wasn't sure how it would work out longer term
[21:54] <pleia2> so like 11UTC and 21UTC
[21:55] <pleia2> etali: yeah, that's been the problem in the past
[21:55] <akgraner> etali, I dunno to be honest - it's something to try and see if it works out if not we can just go back to how we have it now
[21:55] <Pendulum> pleia2: the CC way makes sense to me
[21:56] <hypa7ia> i didn't bother with the poll because i don't think a poll is fair in this case
[21:56] <hypa7ia> we're mostly in NA
[21:56] <hypa7ia> a poll will always be skewed towards that
[21:56] <etali> My vote goes for trying it. If it works out, knowing the meeting is always on a Wednesday or whatever would be great. Much easier to keep track of than the doodle polls.
[21:56] <akgraner> hypa7ia, hmm - I didn't even think of it that way - good point
[21:56] <pleia2> I probably will show up even if it's at 2AM, so the poll doesn't matter a ton to me either
[21:57] <akk> Doesn't it make some sense to skew it toward the most members? (No offense to the minority ones, and we indeed should have some meetings in other timezones.)
[21:57] <akgraner> so from the poll - it was 2200 UTC and 0200, 0300, and 0400 UTC
[21:58] <akgraner> but again it was only 7 people - and thank you to all those who filled it out btw :-)
[21:58] <akgraner> ok so two mins left - wow time flies :-)
[21:58] <pleia2> maybe see how 2200 and 1200 work?
[21:58] <akgraner> haha that's what I was going to say
[21:59] <rww> If I remember correctly, I didn't end up filling that survey out because I'm available at very different times on different days, and the poll didn't let me specify that.
[21:59] <akgraner> to 2nd and 4th thursdays
[21:59] <akgraner> an 1200 and 2200UTC
[21:59] <akk> rww: I had that problem too, and avoided timeslots that would have been okay on some days.
[22:01] <akgraner> [ACTION] set future UW Meetings for 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month - 2nd Thurs 1200UTC, 4th Thurs 2200UTC
[22:01] <akgraner> does that sound ok to everyone
[22:01] <Mootbot-UK> ACTION received: set future UW Meetings for 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month - 2nd Thurs 1200UTC, 4th Thurs 2200UTC
[22:01] <etali> sounds good to me
}}}

Meeting opened by akgraner at 21:00

   1 [21:00] <akgraner> #startmeeting
   2 [21:00] <Mootbot-UK> Meeting started at 21:00. The chair is akgraner.
   3 [21:00] <Mootbot-UK> Commands Available: [TOPIC], [PROGRESS REPORT], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]
   4 [21:00] <akgraner> hi all!
   5 [21:01]  * pleia2 waves
   6 [21:01] <akgraner> time to get started :-)  who's here for the UW Project meeting today?
   7 [21:01] <rww> o/
   8 [21:01] <Pendulum> o/
   9 [21:01] <akk> o/
  10 [21:01] <etali> o/
  11 [21:02] <akgraner> while we wait to see who else is joining here's the agenda - [LINK] - http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/March2010/Agenda
  12 [21:02] <akgraner> oops
  13 [21:02] <akgraner>  [LINK] - http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/March2010/Agenda
  14 [21:02] <akgraner> [LINK] - http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/March2010/Agenda
  15 [21:02] <Mootbot-UK> LINK received:  - http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/March2010/Agenda

   1 [21:02] <akgraner> there we go - grrr!
   2 [21:03] <akgraner> 3rd time is the charm right
   3 [21:03] <pleia2> :)
   4 [21:03] <akgraner> we have a packed agenda and I hope everyone had a chance to read the info on the mailing list about about most of the items :-)
   5 [21:04] <akgraner> [TOPIC] - OPEN ITEM - UW PROJECT PR TEAM - Ubuntu Women PR team. Should we have a team responsible for both official project responses to publicized problems within the Ubuntu community relating to women in open source and for publicizing team activities and information.
   6 [21:04] <Mootbot-UK> New Topic:  - OPEN ITEM - UW PROJECT PR TEAM - Ubuntu Women PR team. Should we have a team responsible for both official project responses to publicized problems within the Ubuntu community relating to women in open source and for publicizing team activities and information.

- OPEN ITEM - UW PROJECT PR TEAM - Ubuntu Women PR team. Should we have a team responsible for both official project responses to publicized problems within the Ubuntu community relating to women in open source and for publicizing team activities and information.

   1 [21:04] <akgraner> Any thoughts on this?
   2 [21:04] <pleia2> I would really like to see this - we already sort of have one but it's unclear how to get involved in planning (leading to "wow, international women's day competition announced and I had no idea "we" were planning this?")
   3 [21:04] <Pendulum> I agree
   4 [21:05] <akgraner> *nods*
   5 [21:05] <akgraner> I sent this to the mailing list and didn't get much of a response
   6 [21:06]  * pleia2 nods
   7 [21:06] <Pendulum> also, I think there's sometimes some confusion with whether people blogging are speaking for the project or for themselves (this ties into the idea of having a UW blog which I would think could be one of the things the PR team is in charge of)
   8 [21:06] <pleia2> Pendulum: good point
   9 [21:06] <etali> Forgive me if this is a silly question, but what would a formal PR team be responsible for that members don't already do?
  10 [21:06] <etali> I thought people in general already tweeted / blogged, etc to spread the word?
  11 [21:07] <hypa7ia> it might be nice to have an actual uw blog
  12 [21:07] <pleia2> the blog would also be great for prettier links to our stuff - linking to a mailing list archive isn't particularly user friendly, people hate plain test (so they end up linking out *our* individual blogs instead anyway)
  13 [21:07] <akgraner> the blog would not be what we see on the uw planet I wouldn't think but a way to get the word out on what we as a team are doing
  14 [21:08] <Pendulum> I know when I've discussed this with a couple people in UW, one thing we also talked about is having a PR team so that if we ever get asked for some sort of formal "what does UW think?" when something comes up in the community that may be gender related
  15 [21:08] <pleia2> Pendulum: I don't think we want to get into the game of "what do *we* think" when it comes to gender stuff
  16 [21:08] <pleia2> "we" think every opinion on the planet, probably ;)
  17 [21:08] <pleia2> I like that our members still speak individually on those things
  18 [21:09] <Pendulum> fair enough :)
  19 [21:09] <pleia2> etali: sometimes projects like international women's days are much more easily handled by a core group of folks really interested
  20 [21:09] <pleia2> so they can all be Cced on requests to sponsors, etc
  21 [21:09] <akgraner> I know on the NC team with our blog - we are using it like pleia2 suggested above
  22 [21:10] <etali> A central blog does sound like a good idea.  A list of people willing to speak on gender issues might be nice too?
  23 [21:10] <akgraner> we just have a section on there for that
  24 [21:11] <akgraner> I would think?
  25 [21:11] <pleia2> yeah
  26 [21:11] <pleia2> or link to geekspeakr's section on it
  27 [21:12] <akgraner> any reason why we can't just set up a wordpress one and see how it does?
  28 [21:12] <akgraner> works, goes etc...
  29 [21:12] <akgraner> we can always roll it to a domain later if it's working out well
  30 [21:13] <akgraner> thoughts?
  31 [21:13] <Pendulum> do we need to figure out who will have access to post to it first?
  32 [21:13] <akgraner> so the Blog will act as the PR point then right?
  33 [21:13] <pleia2> akgraner: I'd think so
  34 [21:13]  * etali thinks it is a good idea and would like to help if it goes ahead
  35 [21:13] <Pendulum> makes sense to me
  36 [21:13] <althara> I think that is a good idea
  37 [21:13] <pleia2> and we can just submit an RT ticket to get blog.ubuntu-women.org pointed somewhere
  38 [21:14] <pleia2> I can offer hosting with access for whoever wants it, but I'm sure others can too :)
  39 [21:14] <hypa7ia> pleia2: we should probably try to keep things on canonical inf, no?
  40 [21:14] <pleia2> hypa7ia: canonical doesn't support wordpress afaik
  41 [21:15] <akgraner> and it's slow getting stuff from them at times
  42 [21:15] <pleia2> only old drupal, and the sysadmins aren't particulary responsive (getting our wiki updated took a year or so)
  43 [21:15] <akgraner> so wordpress?  yes? no?
  44 [21:15] <pleia2> I like wordpress
  45 [21:15] <Pendulum> so do I
  46 [21:16] <rww> I do also (and like this idea in general; sorry, I was distracted :)
  47 [21:16] <akgraner> it's pretty easy for anyone who wants to contribute to use as well
  48 [21:16] <etali> Most people know how to use it, so probably best choice
  49 [21:16] <akgraner> so access?  any suggestions there?
  50 [21:17] <pleia2> I think we can give any established members of the team access to posting
  51 [21:17] <etali> Does .com allow different levels?  E.g. the leaders have admin rights, other volunteers get rights to post / edit their own posts as required?
  52 [21:17] <hypa7ia> yeah, i think so etali
  53 [21:17] <akgraner> word press allows you to set permissions like that iirc
  54 [21:18] <rww> I'd say make a list of subjects that are on-topic for it (only event announcements vs. other related stuff, etc...), and then let any established team members post.
  55 [21:18] <pleia2> rww: +1
  56 [21:18] <akgraner> rww, +1
  57 [21:18] <akgraner> ok date to get this in place by?
  58 [21:19] <akgraner> 1 month from now?
  59 [21:19] <akgraner> end of April?
  60 [21:19] <pleia2> I think interested folks should discuss technical details offline and come up with a timeline
  61 [21:19] <pleia2> er, out of meeting :)
  62 [21:19] <akgraner> +1
  63 [21:19] <etali> +1
  64 [21:19] <akgraner> pleia2, can you send something to mailing list?
  65 [21:20] <pleia2> akgraner: sure thing
  66 [21:20] <akgraner> [ACTION] - pleia2 to send information on New Wordpress UW Blog establishment
  67 [21:20] <Mootbot-UK> ACTION received:  - pleia2 to send information on New Wordpress UW Blog establishment
  68 [21:20] <akgraner> thanks pleia2  :-)
  69 [21:21] <akgraner> ok moving on  - I moved Election ahead of -M goals
  70 [21:21] <akgraner> [TOPIC] - OPEN ITEM -UW PROJECT LEADER ELECTIONS - UW Project Team Election of Leader(s)
  71 [21:21] <akgraner> [LINK] -https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2010-March/002578.html
  72 [21:21] <Mootbot-UK> New Topic:  - OPEN ITEM -UW PROJECT LEADER ELECTIONS - UW Project Team Election of Leader(s)
  73 [21:21] <Mootbot-UK> LINK received:  -https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2010-March/002578.html
  74 [21:21] <akgraner> Did everyone get a chance to read the proposed details that was sent to the mailing list?
  75 [21:22] <akgraner> if so any thoughts?
  76 [21:22] <akgraner> or do I need to go over the proposal details?
  77 [21:22] <pleia2> it all sounded good to me
  78 [21:23] <akgraner> so anyone have objections for just forgoing one leader and just voting for 3 co-leaders in the elections?
  79 [21:24] <Pendulum> nope
  80 [21:24] <akgraner> that way we can have a great cross-section of the team - hopefully leaders in different time zones  - and with different skill sets and interests
  81 [21:24]  * pleia2 nods
  82 [21:25] <althara> I think that's a great idea
  83 [21:25] <akgraner> ok I'll get the wiki updated and get the schedule announced
  84 [21:26] <akgraner> [ACTION] - akgraner to get the wiki updated and get the schedule announced for upcoming elections
  85 [21:26] <Mootbot-UK> ACTION received:  - akgraner to get the wiki updated and get the schedule announced for upcoming elections
  86 [21:26] <akgraner> [TOPIC]  - OPEN ITEM - UDS-M BLUEPRINTS AND OBJECTIVES - Blueprints/goals for UDS-M.  Review of UDS-L Blueprint identify what still needs to be done.  Start discussion of goals for -M.  Suggested Goals for -M (Added to agenda for this meeting to start the conversation about goals for -M.  Blueprint to be finalized and in LP on or before April 17th)
  87 [21:26] <akgraner> [LINK]  - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2010-March/002569.html
  88 [21:26] <Mootbot-UK> New Topic:   - OPEN ITEM - UDS-M BLUEPRINTS AND OBJECTIVES - Blueprints/goals for UDS-M.  Review of UDS-L Blueprint identify what still needs to be done.  Start discussion of goals for -M.  Suggested Goals for -M (Added to agenda for this meeting to start the conversation about goals for -M.  Blueprint to be finalized and in LP on or before April 17th)
  89 [21:26] <Mootbot-UK> LINK received:   - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2010-March/002569.html
  90 [21:27] <akgraner> again info on this topic went to mailing list - hopefully everyone had a chance to ready this as well - if not I have pasted the link above
  91 [21:28] <pleia2> looks good to me
  92 [21:28] <akgraner> UDS-M is around the corner and to make sure all those who want to be involved in the goals for the next cycle can be we have a list of suggestions
  93 [21:29] <pleia2> I think we do want to have some solid goals attached to some of these things though
  94 [21:29] <pleia2> the first three are a bit "encourage people to" and so don't really have goals
  95 [21:29] <akgraner> the list is pretty long and while we accomplished all the goals for the -L cycle, I would hesitate to add them all to the Blueprint we can also add more as we finish whats on them
  96 [21:30] <akgraner> so any thoughts on which 3?
  97 [21:30] <akgraner> to start with
  98 [21:30] <pleia2> 4-6 are my favorites
  99 [21:31] <akgraner> I agree the 1st 3 are just a matter of setting things up tracking them and encouraging people
 100 [21:31] <althara> Area 3, 4, 6/7 are my favorites
 101 [21:31] <akgraner> let me post the ideas in here
 102 [21:32] <althara> and I think 5 is important because hte website is a bit stale
 103 [21:32] <pleia2> althara: me too
 104 [21:32] <etali> 5 matches well with the blog stuff discussed earlier too.
 105 [21:32] <pleia2> I kind of wince when I link people to it these days :)
 106 [21:32] <akgraner> the are exactly like the mailing list numbers but for sake of getting them in the meeting I'll post the ones from the agenda and link to the mailing list in the notes
 107 [21:33] <etali> Was the mentoring thing one of the goals? (My net connection is acting up and the link won't open so can't look :( )
 108 [21:33] <pleia2> etali: yep
 109 [21:33] <althara> etali: #4 is the mentoring thing
 110 [21:33] <akgraner> [IDEA] - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M - Enrollment  - (UW Project on LP, mailing list, and forum participation)
 111 [21:33] <Mootbot-UK> IDEA received:  - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M - Enrollment  - (UW Project on LP, mailing list, and forum participation)
 112 [21:33] <etali> Thanks!  #4 gets my vote then.
 113 [21:33] <akgraner> [IDEA] - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M -Online Team Activity- (Wiki, Website, Blogging, Mailing list discussions, Forum Discussions, LoCo teams, Ubuntu weeks)
 114 [21:33] <Mootbot-UK> IDEA received:  - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M -Online Team Activity- (Wiki, Website, Blogging, Mailing list discussions, Forum Discussions, LoCo teams, Ubuntu weeks)
 115 [21:33] <akgraner> IDEA] - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M - Resources - marketing (ie poster, business cards, fliers)
 116 [21:34] <akgraner> [IDEA] - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M - Knowledge Base - review and see what else if anything is needed
 117 [21:34] <Mootbot-UK> IDEA received:  - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M - Knowledge Base - review and see what else if anything is needed
 118 [21:34] <akgraner> [IDEA] - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M - Community Activity/Event Participation - (Conferences, LUG, LoCo, Camps, Fests etc)
 119 [21:34] <Mootbot-UK> IDEA received:  - OPEN ITEM - Measurable Goals for UDS-M - Community Activity/Event Participation - (Conferences, LUG, LoCo, Camps, Fests etc)
 120 [21:34] <akgraner> [TOPIC] - OPEN ITEM - MENTORING PROGRAM - Reviving the http://ubuntu-women.org/mentoring.html . Why? Ubuntu has many training programs and yet some folks forget that its sometimes harder to ask silly questions and learn with a room full of strangers on irc. Some points to consider:
 121 [21:34] <Mootbot-UK> New Topic:  - OPEN ITEM - MENTORING PROGRAM - Reviving the http://ubuntu-women.org/mentoring.html . Why? Ubuntu has many training programs and yet some folks forget that its sometimes harder to ask silly questions and learn with a room full of strangers on irc. Some points to consider:
 122 [21:35] <akgraner> oops I have Mentoring as seperate topic :-)
 123 [21:35] <akgraner> so for UDS - Mentoring Program, Website and ?
 124 [21:35] <akgraner> well blueprint for the -M cycle goals for the project
 125 [21:36] <pleia2> logo?
 126 [21:36] <pleia2> the t-shirt idea is neat and fun, but I think it needs to wait for the logo
 127 [21:36] <althara> agreed
 128 [21:36] <akgraner> agreed
 129 [21:36] <pleia2> and a site redesign with old logo.. :\
 130 [21:36]  * maco likes the old logo
 131 [21:36] <althara> also agreed
 132 [21:36] <pleia2> I love the old logo
 133 [21:36] <akgraner> so old logo new color theme maybe
 134 [21:37] <althara> I agree
 135 [21:37] <pleia2> maybe a discussion is in order about this, does it actually need refreshing with the new branding?
 136 [21:37] <akgraner> use the new orange color and the Aubergine for the words maybe
 137 [21:37] <akgraner> I like it the Logo
 138 [21:38] <akgraner> however I <3 purple er Aubergine - so would love to see words in purple :-)  but that is just me
 139 [21:38] <althara> just so we are all up to date. ARe the official ubuntu colors changing?
 140 [21:38] <akgraner> and in new font
 141 [21:38] <akk> I'm confused about the new colors -- the page everyone was showing showed about 6 new ubuntu color themes
 142 [21:39] <pleia2> althara: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand
 143 [21:39] <akk> some orange, some purple
 144 [21:39] <maco> althara: yes, eggplant and orangy
 145 [21:39] <akgraner> according to what I read on Marks blog the circle of friends is going to be the thing that stays the same
 146 [21:39] <maco> akk: the theme is a mix of them together
 147 [21:39] <maco> akk: mark explained that they use more purple on more corporate stuff and more orange on more community stuff
 148 [21:39] <akgraner> and that orange will represent community and purple will represent Canonical
 149 [21:39] <maco> akk: but always both are there
 150 [21:40] <akgraner> so if you see more purple - the it's corporate
 151 [21:40] <akgraner> is you see more orange it's community
 152 [21:40] <akk> None of the logos on that page seem to have purple -- they're all the baby-aspirin orange.
 153 [21:40] <akk> Or a slightly darker orange.
 154 [21:40] <maco> hahahah baby aspirin orange
 155 [21:41] <pleia2> the brainstorm logo is purple, the splash screen at the bottom is purple
 156 [21:41] <akk> Wow, that splash screen at the bottom looks off-black to me.
 157 [21:42] <pleia2> brainstorm is dark, but the splash screen is definitely purple on my screen
 158 [21:42] <akgraner> [LINK] - sabdfl 's post on the new theme - http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/308
 159 [21:42] <Mootbot-UK> LINK received:  - sabdfl 's post on the new theme - http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/308
 160 [21:43] <akk> yep, if I use gimp's color picker and boost Value I can see the hue is purple -- but the screen sure doesn't look it here.
 161 [21:43] <akgraner> I should clarify what I said on "official" publications, banners etc - that is how I understood the colors were going to be used
 162 [21:44] <akgraner> Change the logo or no?  - I like it :-) but would like to incorporate new font if nothing else (when the font is ready that is)
 163 [21:44] <althara> I think just changing the font is good
 164 [21:45] <pleia2> me too
 165 [21:45] <althara> With the range of colors that the new theme is we could spend months debating on what to change things to
 166 [21:45] <akgraner> so - mentoring, website, logo - and then we can add stuff as needed to blue print from the list of suggestions on mailing list?
 167 [21:46] <pleia2> +1
 168 [21:46] <althara> +1
 169 [21:46] <akk> +1 on changing the font.
 170 [21:46] <akk> and +1 on the akgraner's suggestion too.
 171 [21:46] <akgraner> and we can have someone do a couple different ideas for the logo that we have using new color theme and see what we like then
 172 [21:47] <akgraner> [ACTION] - akgraner to add website, mentoring and logo to blueprints for -M cycle
 173 [21:47] <Mootbot-UK> ACTION received:  - akgraner to add website, mentoring and logo to blueprints for -M cycle
 174 [21:48] <akgraner> I'll leave off the names of who is doing what for now - but just get the blueprint created
 175 [21:48] <akgraner> well get those items added  - and get the roadmap for -M ready to go
 176 [21:49] <maco> akk: turn up your screen's brightness ;-)
 177 [21:49] <akgraner> is that ok with everyone?
 178 [21:49] <pleia2> souns good
 179 [21:49] <maco> +1 on the font thing too
 180 [21:50] <akgraner> ok we have about 10 mins left - any objection to moving on to new items? or any thoughts on old items before I move on?
 181 [21:51] <etali> no objections here
 182 [21:51] <akgraner> no?  ok new items
 183 [21:51] <akgraner>  [TOPIC] - New Items - Team Meeting Day and Times - Discuss results from meeting poll and set - reliable, predictable and reoccurring team meetings that alternate between 2 timezones that best meets the needs of the team.
 184 [21:51] <akgraner> [TOPIC] - New Items - Team Meeting Day and Times - Discuss results from meeting poll and set - reliable, predictable and reoccurring team meetings that alternate between 2 timezones that best meets the needs of the team.
 185 [21:51] <Mootbot-UK> New Topic:  - New Items - Team Meeting Day and Times - Discuss results from meeting poll and set - reliable, predictable and reoccurring team meetings that alternate between 2 timezones that best meets the needs of the team.
 186 [21:51] <akgraner> (oh that space kills me :-)
 187 [21:52] <akgraner> so the idea is to have 2 meetings a month so team members don't have to attend meetings at 2am or so in there time zone all the time
 188 [21:53] <akgraner> while I had the poll up - only 7 people took the time to fill it out :-(
 189 [21:53] <pleia2> yeah, it's frustrating
 190 [21:54] <pleia2> what the CC does is have one in each 12 hour chunk of the day
 191 [21:54] <akgraner> so the days that we evenly voted for were  - Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday
 192 [21:54] <etali> On paper it sounds like a great idea.  Are there enough people across the two time zones to sustain two different meetings every month?
 193 [21:54] <Pendulum> I'll admit that I didn't fill out the poll and that's partially because with the time change I currently don't know what's up and since we're in the middle of people changing times, I *really* wasn't sure how it would work out longer term
 194 [21:54] <pleia2> so like 11UTC and 21UTC
 195 [21:55] <pleia2> etali: yeah, that's been the problem in the past
 196 [21:55] <akgraner> etali, I dunno to be honest - it's something to try and see if it works out if not we can just go back to how we have it now
 197 [21:55] <Pendulum> pleia2: the CC way makes sense to me
 198 [21:56] <hypa7ia> i didn't bother with the poll because i don't think a poll is fair in this case
 199 [21:56] <hypa7ia> we're mostly in NA
 200 [21:56] <hypa7ia> a poll will always be skewed towards that
 201 [21:56] <etali> My vote goes for trying it.  If it works out, knowing the meeting is always on a Wednesday or whatever would be great.  Much easier to keep track of than the doodle polls.
 202 [21:56] <akgraner> hypa7ia, hmm - I didn't even think of it that way  - good point
 203 [21:56] <pleia2> I probably will show up even if it's at 2AM, so the poll doesn't matter a ton to me either
 204 [21:57] <akk> Doesn't it make some sense to skew it toward the most members? (No offense to the minority ones, and we indeed should have some meetings in other timezones.)
 205 [21:57] <akgraner> so from the poll  - it was 2200 UTC and 0200, 0300, and 0400 UTC
 206 [21:58] <akgraner> but again it was only 7 people  - and thank you to all those who filled it out btw :-)
 207 [21:58] <akgraner> ok so two mins left - wow time flies :-)
 208 [21:58] <pleia2> maybe see how 2200 and 1200 work?
 209 [21:58] <akgraner> haha that's what I was going to say
 210 [21:59] <rww> If I remember correctly, I didn't end up filling that survey out because I'm available at very different times on different days, and the poll didn't let me specify that.
 211 [21:59] <akgraner> to 2nd and 4th thursdays
 212 [21:59] <akgraner> an 1200 and 2200UTC
 213 [21:59] <akk> rww: I had that problem too, and avoided timeslots that would have been okay on some days.
 214 [22:01] <akgraner> [ACTION] set future UW Meetings for 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month  - 2nd Thurs 1200UTC, 4th Thurs 2200UTC
 215 [22:01] <akgraner> does that sound ok to everyone
 216 [22:01] <Mootbot-UK> ACTION received:  set future UW Meetings for 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month  - 2nd Thurs 1200UTC, 4th Thurs 2200UTC
 217 [22:01] <etali> sounds good to me

AlanBell/mootbot (last edited 2011-08-15 20:35:31 by alanbell)