09August16

Differences between revisions 1 and 2
Revision 1 as of 2009-08-12 05:35:30
Size: 604
Editor: ip98-165-3-120
Comment: create from template
Revision 2 as of 2009-08-18 16:25:31
Size: 21910
Editor: ip98-165-3-120
Comment: post meeting logs
Deletions are marked like this. Additions are marked like this.
Line 15: Line 15:
This will be posted after the meeting.
## Put the irc log into {{{ }}} block.
 {{{
21:01 * johnc4510 who's here for the meeting please
21:01 < johnc4510> ha
21:01 < johnc4510> thx matthewmpp
21:01 < johnc4510> +1
21:01 < johnc4510> tyche: ping
21:02 < todd> +1
21:02 < johnc4510> azteech: ping
21:02 < johnc4510> Jeff_Martin: ping
21:02 < johnc4510> slofgren: ping
21:02 < johnc4510> todd: ping
21:02 < johnc4510> lol hey todd
21:02 < johnc4510> :)
21:02 < todd> here
21:02 < johnc4510> cool
21:02 < johnc4510> i wonder where tyche is
21:03 < johnc4510> i hope paula's ok
21:03 < tyche> +1
21:03 < johnc4510> hey bud
21:03 < johnc4510> just talking about you
21:03 < johnc4510> :)
21:03 < tyche> You mean you finally decided to come out of hibernation and start the meeting?
21:03 < johnc4510> only _good_ things
21:03 < johnc4510> what
21:03 < tyche> I can read back through the logs, to, you know. Hee hee
21:04 < johnc4510> :)
21:04 < johnc4510> ok, announcements then
21:04 < johnc4510> .
21:04 < johnc4510> Karmic Alpha 4 has been released: Pre-releases of Karmic are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent breakage. Alpha 4 is the fourth in a series of milestone CD images that will be released throughout the Karmic development cycle. You can get the links to the downloads here: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/alpha4
21:04 < johnc4510> .
21:05 < johnc4510> it should be getting fairly stable by now but use at your own risl
21:05 < johnc4510> risk
21:05 < johnc4510> .
21:05 -!- paul928 [n=paul@unaffiliated/paul928] has joined #ubuntu-us-az
21:05 < johnc4510> evening paul928
21:05 < johnc4510> welcome
21:05 < matthewmpp> hi paul928
21:05 < johnc4510> hope you're feeling ok
21:05 < paul928> hello
21:05 < johnc4510> :)
21:06 < tyche> Oh, good. Yuma's arrived. Now we can start.
21:06 < tyche> Hee hee
21:06 < johnc4510> paul928: we've been thinking about you a lot lately
21:06 < johnc4510> .
21:06 < johnc4510> Another manufacturer is adding Ubuntu to it's netbook lineup. ZaReason is now offering it's Terra A20 Netbook for $349. http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16216
21:06 < johnc4510> with ubuntu 9.04 pre-installed
21:06 < johnc4510> .
21:07 < paul928> :)thinking about me?
21:07 < johnc4510> paul928: ah, sorry i was thinking paula
21:07 < johnc4510> oops
21:07 < johnc4510> but welcome
21:07 < tyche> johnc4510: I'm going to tell Paula that you thought she was a guy
21:07 < johnc4510> how's the western edge of AZ
21:07 < johnc4510> tyche: oh thx
21:08 < tyche> Nothing more than you deserve.
21:08 < johnc4510> .
21:08 < johnc4510> I received the two free books that our loco was entitled too. One is on Ubuntu Desktop and the other is on Ubuntu Server. I'm planning on using these as give aways at the ABLEcon in Phoenix. I've also sent for our conference pack from Ubuntu. This usually has some good give aways. pens, stickers.
21:08 < paul928> a bit cooler today, only 103!
21:08 < johnc4510> yeah
21:08 < johnc4510> they keep saying it's _cooler_!!!
21:08 < johnc4510> lol
21:08 < johnc4510> .
21:09 < johnc4510> ok, on to tucson installfest
21:09 < johnc4510> .
21:09 < tyche> It is cooler. It's only 96 in fountain hills
21:09 < johnc4510> We're be in Gould-Simpson, 9th floor atrium ( http://iiewww.ccit.arizona.edu/uamap/staticLarge/77.html ). We'll have access to the building from 11am to 5pm. We'll potentially have a room to do projected presentations (just
21:09 < johnc4510> a few short steps frm the atrium). Jan (pronounced John) is a student w/ the CSs dept, and will let us into Gould-Simpson at 10 am to setup. The CS Dept wants to do more InstallFests, so I conceded on the ILC rooms w/ the thought
21:09 < johnc4510> can everyone read that?
21:10 < tyche> Well, it's a bit disjointed, but it'll pass. I'll clean it up for the newsletter
21:10 < johnc4510> let me take a sec and clean it up
21:11 < [R]> GS is pretty scary though
21:11 < [R]> with all the windows and such
21:11 < johnc4510> We're be in Gould-Simpson, 9th floor atrium (http://iiewww.ccit.arizona.edu/uamap/staticLarge/77.html ). We'll have access to the building from 11am to 5pm. We'll potentially have a room to do projected presentations (just a few short steps from the atrium). Jan (pronounced John) is a student w/ the CS dept, and will let us into Gould-Simpson at 10 am to setup. The CS Dept wants to do more InstallFests, so I conceded on the ILC roo
21:11 < johnc4510> .
21:11 < tyche> While you're doing that, I should mention that I've been looking over the U of A requirements for using their logo. We're going to have to get permission to use it on the flier.
21:12 < johnc4510> great...that could take a while
21:12 < tyche> I hope not. If all else fails, I'll just use text.
21:12 < johnc4510> does this CS Dept have their own logo
21:12 < johnc4510> tyche: yeah, good idea
21:12 < tyche> Not that I've seen
21:12 < johnc4510> k
21:13 < johnc4510> well, it's suppose to be an open space on the floor, not a room
21:13 < johnc4510> with a good view
21:13 < tyche> At the present time, I'll figure on text. Then if we can get the permission I can add the big red, white and blue "A"
21:13 < johnc4510> it's on 4th ave which is a main street along the campus
21:13 < johnc4510> k
21:13 < xHans> if the cs dept doesn't have a logo, just use a lolcat picture involving a computer
21:13 -!- fuzzyvader [n=fuzzyvad@cm-24-121-5-191.lakehavasu.az.npgco.com] has left #Ubuntu-US-AZ []
21:14 < todd> will parking be a issue?
21:14 < tyche> I was thinking more of the "Hit any key" graphic.
21:14 < johnc4510> we will have access to a room with a projector if i understood right, that's just off the open space the event will be in
21:14 < johnc4510> i need to find out about parking
21:15 < [R]> there isn't really much good parking by GS, but if it's the weekend all the zone 1 lots are open
21:15 < [R]> so you can park anywhere you want basically... there are metered parking on the street GS is on
21:15 < [R]> i dont know if those are open on the weekends
21:15 < johnc4510> [R]: does that include that new covered lot right by the cross walk on 4th?
21:15 < xHans> how far is GS from the penguin ice cream place across the street from the frog?
21:15 < [R]> i dont know anything thats less than 2 years old
21:16 < [R]> xHans: not very far
21:16 < [R]> but its kinda far
21:16 < [R]> its like halfaway across campus
21:16 < xHans> [R]: too far for a post-event snack?
21:16 < johnc4510> [R]: the crosswalk is right by the laundry and also the bike shop
21:16 < johnc4510> on 4th
21:16 < [R]> xHans: dpeends on how hot it is i guess
21:16 * xHans imagines 50 geeks showing up to a small ice cream shop :)
21:16 < johnc4510> lol
21:17 < tyche> In kilts
21:17 < [R]> lol
21:17 < todd> our out of towners will need to know where to park!----meee
21:17 -!- fuzzyvader [n=fuzzyvad@cm-24-121-5-191.lakehavasu.az.npgco.com] has joined #Ubuntu-US-AZ
21:17 < xHans> tyche: perfect for walking across the street to the frog or down the street a bit to the irish pub
21:17 < johnc4510> well, i'll run by on 4th ave tomorrow and see about parking
21:17 < tyche> Yea, but I don't drink and drive
21:18 < matthewmpp> Hi fuzzyvader
21:18 < xHans> tyche: you call what you do driving??? ;-)
21:18 < fuzzyvader> hey!
21:18 < johnc4510> todd: we'll have something on parking early this wk to put in the flyer
21:18 < todd> cool
21:18 < tyche> Of course I do. I'm a professional
21:18 < johnc4510> fuzzyvader: evening and welcome
21:18 < fuzzyvader> thx!
21:18 < fuzzyvader> good evening all
21:18 < xHans> tyche: they do sell non-alcoholic stuff and there are hotels in the area
21:19 < johnc4510> the email said there would be like 4 or 5 tables, and plenty of chairs
21:19 < fuzzyvader> i'm fuzzy, aka Nathan Blakey out of Havasu i'm a total noob
21:19 < xHans> moin moin fuzzyvader
21:19 < fuzzyvader> lol
21:19 < fuzzyvader> ok
21:19 < tyche> johnc4510: fuzzyvader is new
21:19 < johnc4510> fuzzyvader: np, we're glad to have you here
21:19 < fuzzyvader> don't know what that means
21:19 < johnc4510> yeah
21:19 < fuzzyvader> thx
21:19 < fuzzyvader> tyche has been a huge help
21:19 < johnc4510> fuzzyvader: feel free to hang out here anytime
21:20 < tyche> In fact, you may need to approve him in Launchpad
21:20 < johnc4510> someones always aroundd
21:20 < johnc4510> k
21:20 < fuzzyvader> sorry i'm late
21:20 < johnc4510> np
21:20 < fuzzyvader> did i miss anything important?
21:20 < matthewmpp> fuzzyvader: moin moin is Hans way of saying Hello.
21:20 < [R]> xHans: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=4th+St&daddr=32.231808,-110.959125&hl=en&geocode=FaXK6wEdSPZi-Q%3B&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=18&sll=32.231344,-110.957907&sspn=0.002065,0.004823&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=18
21:20 < [R]> xHans: thats approximately gould-simpson to penguins
21:20 < johnc4510> also, the place is right by a wifi node so internet hookup should be good
21:20 < tyche> Nothing you can't get from the newsletter, wednesday
21:21 < fuzzyvader> ok
21:21 < johnc4510> so, what we need now is to get the flyer going
21:21 < xHans> [R]: ok, does the trolley run that route?
21:21 < johnc4510> i need to get the parking access info
21:21 < johnc4510> xHans: no
21:22 < johnc4510> it's farther north
21:22 < [R]> the trolley stops halfway down university before park
21:22 < xHans> bah, UofA makes this hard
21:22 < xHans> not near as hard as ASU makes it, but still...
21:22 < xHans> :)
21:22 < johnc4510> this place is right on 4th ave. from the freeway you exit on st. mary's and then turn left or east
21:22 < paul928> when is the installfest?
21:23 < johnc4510> 29th august
21:23 < johnc4510> sat.
21:23 < johnc4510> we have the room from 11 to 5 i think
21:23 < xHans> SE corner of Euclid and University is where the Irish pub is?
21:24 < azteech> sorry to be late ... lost track of time in a history show ....
21:24 < [R]> xHans: somewhere near there
21:24 < fuzzyvader> giggle me too
21:24 < johnc4510> so, do we want to advertise the event from 11:30 to 4:30 leaving half an hour on each side to set up and tear down?
21:24 < johnc4510> azteech: hey
21:24 < [R]> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=Lowell+St&geocode=FRPF6wEd3vRi-Q&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=32.22844,-110.955327&sspn=0.00413,0.009645&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16
21:24 < azteech> johnc4510 :)
21:24 < tyche> I understood that we'd be able to get in at 10:00
21:24 < [R]> i think that might be zone 1 parking that would be open on saturday
21:24 < xHans> johnc4510: advertise the full time, but mention no new installs after 16:00
21:25 < johnc4510> k
21:25 < Flakeparadigm> Hello. totally forgot tonight was the meeting
21:26 < azteech> will attempt to be there for the fest .. but also have other commitments that day ... if I make it, my GF will be with me ...
21:26 < fuzzyvader> lol, nobody is punctual, i'm in good company then
21:26 < fuzzyvader> I want to go
21:27 < Flakeparadigm> I'm going to try to make it
21:27 < johnc4510> [R]: that's the covered parking i was talking about i think
21:27 < fuzzyvader> if someone could clarify (tyche was patient with me earlier) fest is for noob and non lnx users... ABLEconf if for commercial...?
21:28 < johnc4510> and i had said 4th ave, but by the college it's 6th
21:28 < johnc4510> the street changes
21:28 < xHans> fuzzyvader: Installfest is for helping people of all levels, but primarily those new or unsure
21:28 < fuzzyvader> k
21:28 < johnc4510> you still exit on st mary's off the freeway
21:28 < Flakeparadigm> hey johnc4510
21:28 < johnc4510> :)
21:28 < tyche> fuzzyvader: It's not quite as clear cut as that.
21:28 < tyche> There is some crossover
21:28 < fuzzyvader> figured as much
21:28 < xHans> ABLEconf is a conference focussed on Free Software for business
21:29 < fuzzyvader> ok
21:29 < tyche> One just has to be prepared. Hee hee
21:29 < fuzzyvader> lol
21:29 < johnc4510> fuzzyvader: we do installfests for anyone
21:29 < [R]> johnc4510: there is an open lot next to the covered parking
21:29 < [R]> johnc4510: now i know what you are talking about
21:29 < johnc4510> it's a good way to promote ubuntu
21:29 < fuzzyvader> so are we sorting out details of...
21:29 < azteech> lol, tyche ... that is for the boy scouts ....
21:29 < [R]> johnc4510: i dont think that garage is open
21:29 < fuzzyvader> ?
21:29 < johnc4510> [R]: k
21:29 < johnc4510> thx
21:29 < xHans> fuzzyvader: Installfest is a generic event ( there's a monthly Installfest in Phoenix ), but ABLEconf is a specific conference
21:30 < johnc4510> [R]: you said zone 1 is open on sat?
21:30 < fuzzyvader> ok
21:30 < [R]> johnc4510: yeah, if you goto the parking and transportation website, they should have a map
21:30 < fuzzyvader> these dates and parking issues are for which?
21:30 < [R]> of all the zone 1 lots
21:30 < fuzzyvader> (i'm late my apologies)
21:30 < [R]> lemme get you a link
21:30 < johnc4510> fuzzyvader: ableconf is promoting open source computing in AZ whether it's ubuntu or another
21:30 < [R]> http://parking.arizona.edu/
21:30 < johnc4510> fuzzyvader: for the installfest in tucson
21:30 < xHans> fuzzyvader: thus far all the talk has been about the upcoming Installfest in Tucson
21:31 < fuzzyvader> gotcha thx
21:31 < johnc4510> [R]: thx for the parking info
21:31 < johnc4510> :)
21:31 < johnc4510> scott_ev: you here
21:31 < scott_ev> yes
21:32 < [R]> johnc4510: np
21:32 < matthewmpp> Good to see you again scott.
21:32 < scott_ev> hey matthewmpp
21:32 < johnc4510> scott_ev: we need to know if we can use the u of a logo to advertise on the flyer
21:33 < johnc4510> or just say the CS Dept of the u of a
21:33 < scott_ev> actually i think we should
21:33 < johnc4510> yeah but we may need permission
21:33 < scott_ev> well, but just listing the u of a cd dept would be safer
21:33 < [R]> johnc4510: i'm trying to think of who you would need to clear that through
21:33 < johnc4510> scott_ev: also, we need to know if they want flyers to hand out or put in the dept for people to take
21:34 < johnc4510> how many and where to deliver them
21:34 < johnc4510> :)
21:34 < scott_ev> ok, I'll know asap
21:34 < johnc4510> thx
21:34 < johnc4510> [R]: thx
21:34 < tyche> And do you want me to make them up full page or half page.
21:34 < scott_ev> I'd say full
21:34 < tyche> OK
21:34 < johnc4510> tyche: half pages i think...then we can cut them in half
21:35 < johnc4510> ooops
21:35 < johnc4510> ok, i guess we need to discuss that
21:35 < tyche> OK, that's got me totally confused. Hee hee
21:35 < Flakeparadigm> Wow, I just got distracted by that google maps link :P
21:35 < johnc4510> the only reason i said half was to save paper cost
21:36 < johnc4510> but it doesn't matter to me
21:36 < johnc4510> ? will we have enought info to cover a whole page tyche
21:36 < tyche> I'm not sure I could give you enough separation in half pages. I can try. It could involve a lot of cutting.
21:36 < scott_ev> true, It may really not matter
21:36 < johnc4510> tyche: ok
21:36 < scott_ev> but full pages would be easier to read
21:36 < johnc4510> then lets go whole pages then
21:37 < tyche> Oh, sure. In fact, with the address, it would be easier to do full page.
21:37 < johnc4510> k, do that then
21:37 < tyche> OK Full page it is.
21:37 < johnc4510> don't pay any attention to me LOL
21:37 < johnc4510> :)
21:37 < scott_ev> did everyone get a good look at the map I gave john?
21:37 < scott_ev> http://iiewww.ccit.arizona.edu/uamap/staticLarge/77.html
21:37 < tyche> I don't pay anything I don't have to.
21:38 < johnc4510> scott_ev: yeah i posted it
21:38 < johnc4510> thx
21:38 < scott_ev> isn't park for anyone on weekends?
21:38 < [R]> johnc4510: http://logos.arizona.edu/ have you seen that site?
21:38 < scott_ev> or is it student/faculty on weekends too?
21:38 < johnc4510> scott_ev: we're not sure but we think zone 1 lots are
21:38 < [R]> zone 1 lots are open to anyone on the weekends
21:38 < johnc4510> [R]: looking
21:39 < scott_ev> well, we can always ask jan o when we show up
21:39 < scott_ev> most of the attendees are likely to already know what the rules are
21:39 < johnc4510> [R]: thx
21:40 < johnc4510> yes, we are pushing on campus attendance
21:40 < scott_ev> so are teh CS dept
21:40 < johnc4510> but for most team members we'll need to know about parking
21:40 < scott_ev> they realy think this will help them alot
21:40 < johnc4510> and it should be in the flyer
21:40 < scott_ev> true
21:40 * slofgren hopes it goes well
21:40 < johnc4510> slofgren: evening bud
21:41 < slofgren> hey
21:41 < johnc4510> ok, i'll get the last of the items for the flyer tomorrow except the logo of U of A ( scott_ev )
21:42 < paul928> Computer Science
21:42 < paul928> Robyn Austin
21:42 < paul928> raustin@email.arizona.edu
21:42 < paul928> 626-8470
21:42 < johnc4510> thx
21:42 < johnc4510> ok, let's let xHans make his announcements
21:42 < paul928> that's the brand advocate for computer science for U of A
21:42 * matthewmpp looks to see if xHans is awake.
21:42 < scott_ev> I have a # for parking enforcement I can call tomorrow about parking
21:43 < johnc4510> paul928: thx
21:43 < xHans> matthewmpp: passed out a while ago :)
21:43 < johnc4510> lol
21:44 < johnc4510> xHans: you're up please
21:44 < johnc4510> :)
21:44 < xHans> johnc4510: ok, danke
21:44 < xHans> both Phoenix Stammtische are this week
21:44 < xHans> Tuesday in Tempe, Wednesday in Avondale
21:45 < xHans> http://www.LuftHans.com/Free_Software_Stammtisch
21:45 < xHans> Phoenix Installfest is _not_ this Saturday, it's next week
21:45 < xHans> the Installfest is the _last_ Saturday of the month
21:45 < xHans> MCC classes start in a week
21:45 < xHans> http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes
21:45 < xHans> we really need students for the shell scripting and OpenOffice.org classes
21:46 < xHans> the OpenOffice.org class is online, so can be taken from anywhere that has a network connection
21:46 < xHans> ABLEconf has a call for presentations going out this week
21:46 < xHans> we added LinuxJournal as a media sponsor
21:46 < xHans> meetings in IRC every Sunday at 20:00, the hour before the loco mtg
21:46 < xHans> http://www.ABLEconf.com/participate
21:46 < xHans> johnc4510: that's it
21:47 < johnc4510> xHans: thx for the info :)
21:47 < fuzzyvader> <----- is curious about the MCC scripting?
21:47 < johnc4510> !MCC
21:47 < ubot4> Factoid 'MCC' not found
21:48 -!- SlickMcRunFast [n=mark@ip24-255-46-64.tc.ph.cox.net] has quit ["Leaving."]
21:48 < xHans> fuzzyvader: Mesa Community College
21:48 < johnc4510> i actually don't know anything about MCC scripting fuzzyvader
21:48 < tyche> fuzzyvader: click the link. xHans is pretty good about giving out information.
21:48 < xHans> the shell scripting is not yet an online class
21:48 < johnc4510> yeah if he gave you a link it should be good
21:48 < fuzzyvader> lol bummer :( MCC = Mohave... here
21:48 < xHans> tyche: yeah, sometimes I think I give my students whiplash
21:49 < fuzzyvader> you got my all excited for a sec
21:49 < tyche> That's not information, xHans, that "attitude adjustment"
21:49 < fuzzyvader> guess i need to move
21:49 < xHans> fuzzyvader: ah, sorry about that
21:49 < fuzzyvader> it's ok
21:49 < xHans> fuzzyvader: you could still take the OOo class :)
21:49 < fuzzyvader> do tell
21:49 < fuzzyvader> ...?
21:50 < xHans> and let me know if Mojave wants a remote instructor for Linux classes
21:50 < fuzzyvader> THEY DO!
21:50 < fuzzyvader> well atleast one does
21:50 < xHans> fuzzyvader: the OOo class is online, so you can take it from anywhere, being in Arizona probably makes signing up easier
21:50 < fuzzyvader> I feel poorly represented by you phx folks, no insult intended
21:51 < xHans> http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes/BPC110.html
21:51 < fuzzyvader> link?
21:51 < fuzzyvader> thx
21:51 < matthewmpp> fuzzyvader: you could always start a LUG.
21:51 < xHans> fuzzyvader: do you know who to talk to there?
21:51 < fuzzyvader> Lnx user group, right?
21:51 < fuzzyvader> nope
21:51 < matthewmpp> yeah
21:52 < xHans> fuzzyvader: we want to help in other parts of the state
21:52 < fuzzyvader> lost in the sauce as they say
21:52 < xHans> fuzzyvader: my goal is for ABLEconf to take place in other parts of the state, I'm hoping for Prescott in January
21:52 < fuzzyvader> i would love to start one
21:52 < fuzzyvader> have many satisfied patrons :D
21:52 < johnc4510> fuzzyvader: what did you mean you felt poorly represented ????
21:52 < xHans> fuzzyvader: got a local restaurant or bar with wifi that you like?
21:53 < fuzzyvader> are you from mohave county?
21:53 < fuzzyvader> my house count?
21:53 < xHans> johnc4510: I think he meant outnumbered
21:53 < johnc4510> ah
21:53 < tyche> We've never been able to pin down where xHans is from. Neither have the police.
21:53 < tyche> Hee hee
21:53 < xHans> fuzzyvader: it can if you want
21:53 < fuzzyvader> lol
21:54 < johnc4510> ok, all thx for a great meeting...we'll get the flyers finished up the first of the wk
}}}

If you have additions to the Agenda, please post them here after confirming with JohnCrawford or CraigAEddy

Agenda

  1. Introductions
  2. Announcements
  3. TBA
  4. TBA
  5. TBA
  6. Agenda for next week

Log

  • 21:01  * johnc4510 who's here for the meeting please
    21:01 < johnc4510> ha
    21:01 < johnc4510> thx matthewmpp
    21:01 < johnc4510> +1
    21:01 < johnc4510> tyche: ping
    21:02 < todd> +1
    21:02 < johnc4510> azteech: ping
    21:02 < johnc4510> Jeff_Martin: ping
    21:02 < johnc4510> slofgren: ping
    21:02 < johnc4510> todd: ping
    21:02 < johnc4510> lol hey todd
    21:02 < johnc4510> :)
    21:02 < todd> here
    21:02 < johnc4510> cool
    21:02 < johnc4510> i wonder where tyche is
    21:03 < johnc4510> i hope paula's ok
    21:03 < tyche> +1
    21:03 < johnc4510> hey bud
    21:03 < johnc4510> just talking about you
    21:03 < johnc4510> :)
    21:03 < tyche> You mean you finally decided to come out of hibernation and start the meeting?
    21:03 < johnc4510> only _good_ things
    21:03 < johnc4510> what
    21:03 < tyche> I can read back through the logs, to, you know.  Hee hee
    21:04 < johnc4510> :)
    21:04 < johnc4510> ok, announcements then
    21:04 < johnc4510> .
    21:04 < johnc4510> Karmic Alpha 4 has been released: Pre-releases of Karmic are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent breakage. Alpha 4 is the fourth in a series of milestone CD images that will be released throughout the Karmic development cycle. You can get the links to the downloads here: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/alpha4
    21:04 < johnc4510> .
    21:05 < johnc4510> it should be getting fairly stable by now but use at your own risl
    21:05 < johnc4510> risk
    21:05 < johnc4510> .
    21:05 -!- paul928 [n=paul@unaffiliated/paul928] has joined #ubuntu-us-az
    21:05 < johnc4510> evening paul928
    21:05 < johnc4510> welcome
    21:05 < matthewmpp> hi paul928
    21:05 < johnc4510> hope you're feeling ok
    21:05 < paul928> hello
    21:05 < johnc4510> :)
    21:06 < tyche> Oh, good.  Yuma's arrived.  Now we can start.
    21:06 < tyche> Hee hee
    21:06 < johnc4510> paul928: we've been thinking about you a lot lately
    21:06 < johnc4510> .
    21:06 < johnc4510> Another manufacturer is adding Ubuntu to it's netbook lineup. ZaReason is now offering it's Terra A20 Netbook for $349. http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16216
    21:06 < johnc4510> with ubuntu 9.04 pre-installed
    21:06 < johnc4510> .
    21:07 < paul928> :)thinking about me?
    21:07 < johnc4510> paul928: ah, sorry i was thinking paula
    21:07 < johnc4510> oops
    21:07 < johnc4510> but welcome
    21:07 < tyche> johnc4510: I'm going to tell Paula that you thought she was a guy
    21:07 < johnc4510> how's the western edge of AZ
    21:07 < johnc4510> tyche: oh thx
    21:08 < tyche> Nothing more than you deserve.
    21:08 < johnc4510> .
    21:08 < johnc4510> I received the two free books that our loco was entitled too. One is on Ubuntu Desktop and the other is on Ubuntu Server. I'm planning on using these as give aways at the ABLEcon in Phoenix. I've also sent for our conference pack from Ubuntu. This usually has some good give aways. pens, stickers.
    21:08 < paul928> a bit cooler today, only 103!
    21:08 < johnc4510> yeah
    21:08 < johnc4510> they keep saying it's _cooler_!!!
    21:08 < johnc4510> lol
    21:08 < johnc4510> .
    21:09 < johnc4510> ok, on to tucson installfest
    21:09 < johnc4510> .
    21:09 < tyche> It is cooler.  It's only 96 in fountain hills
    21:09 < johnc4510> We're be in Gould-Simpson, 9th floor atrium (                                                              http://iiewww.ccit.arizona.edu/uamap/staticLarge/77.html ).  We'll have access to the                      building from 11am to 5pm.  We'll potentially have a room to do projected presentations (just
    21:09 < johnc4510>  a few short steps frm the atrium).  Jan (pronounced John) is a student w/ the CSs dept, and                will let us into Gould-Simpson at 10 am to setup. The CS Dept wants to do more InstallFests,               so I conceded on the ILC rooms w/ the thought
    21:09 < johnc4510> can everyone read that?
    21:10 < tyche> Well, it's a bit disjointed, but it'll pass.  I'll clean it up for the newsletter
    21:10 < johnc4510> let me take a sec and clean it up
    21:11 < [R]> GS is pretty scary though
    21:11 < [R]> with all the windows and such
    21:11 < johnc4510> We're be in Gould-Simpson, 9th floor atrium (http://iiewww.ccit.arizona.edu/uamap/staticLarge/77.html ).  We'll have access to the building from 11am to 5pm.  We'll potentially have a room to do projected presentations (just a few short steps from the atrium).  Jan (pronounced John) is a student w/ the CS dept, and will let us into Gould-Simpson at 10 am to setup. The CS Dept wants to do more InstallFests,    so I conceded on the ILC roo
    21:11 < johnc4510> .
    21:11 < tyche> While you're doing that, I should mention that I've been looking over the U of A requirements for using their logo.  We're going to have to get permission to use it on the flier.
    21:12 < johnc4510> great...that could take a while
    21:12 < tyche> I hope not.  If all else fails, I'll just use text.
    21:12 < johnc4510> does this CS Dept have their own logo
    21:12 < johnc4510> tyche: yeah, good idea
    21:12 < tyche> Not that I've seen
    21:12 < johnc4510> k
    21:13 < johnc4510> well, it's suppose to be an open space on the floor, not a room
    21:13 < johnc4510> with a good view
    21:13 < tyche> At the present time, I'll figure on text.  Then if we can get the permission I can add the big red, white and blue "A"
    21:13 < johnc4510> it's on 4th ave which is a main street along the campus
    21:13 < johnc4510> k
    21:13 < xHans> if the cs dept doesn't have a logo, just use a lolcat picture involving a computer
    21:13 -!- fuzzyvader [n=fuzzyvad@cm-24-121-5-191.lakehavasu.az.npgco.com] has left #Ubuntu-US-AZ []
    21:14 < todd> will parking be a issue?
    21:14 < tyche> I was thinking more of the "Hit any key" graphic.
    21:14 < johnc4510> we will have access to a room with a projector if i understood right, that's just off the open space the event will be in
    21:14 < johnc4510> i need to find out about parking
    21:15 < [R]> there isn't really much good parking by GS, but if it's the weekend all the zone 1 lots are open
    21:15 < [R]> so you can park anywhere you want basically... there are metered parking on the street GS is on
    21:15 < [R]> i dont know if those are open on the weekends
    21:15 < johnc4510> [R]: does that include that new covered lot right by the cross walk on 4th?
    21:15 < xHans> how far is GS from the penguin ice cream place across the street from the frog?
    21:15 < [R]> i dont know anything thats less than 2 years old
    21:16 < [R]> xHans: not very far
    21:16 < [R]> but its kinda far
    21:16 < [R]> its like halfaway across campus
    21:16 < xHans> [R]: too far for a post-event snack?
    21:16 < johnc4510> [R]: the crosswalk is right by the laundry and also the bike shop
    21:16 < johnc4510> on 4th
    21:16 < [R]> xHans: dpeends on how hot it is i guess
    21:16  * xHans imagines 50 geeks showing up to a small ice cream shop :)
    21:16 < johnc4510> lol
    21:17 < tyche> In kilts
    21:17 < [R]> lol
    21:17 < todd> our out of towners will need to know where to park!----meee
    21:17 -!- fuzzyvader [n=fuzzyvad@cm-24-121-5-191.lakehavasu.az.npgco.com] has joined #Ubuntu-US-AZ
    21:17 < xHans> tyche: perfect for walking across the street to the frog or down the street a bit to the irish pub
    21:17 < johnc4510> well, i'll run by on 4th ave tomorrow and see about parking
    21:17 < tyche> Yea, but I don't drink and drive
    21:18 < matthewmpp> Hi fuzzyvader
    21:18 < xHans> tyche: you call what you do driving???  ;-)
    21:18 < fuzzyvader> hey!
    21:18 < johnc4510> todd: we'll have something on parking early this wk to put in the flyer
    21:18 < todd> cool
    21:18 < tyche> Of course I do.  I'm a professional
    21:18 < johnc4510> fuzzyvader: evening and welcome
    21:18 < fuzzyvader> thx!
    21:18 < fuzzyvader> good evening all
    21:18 < xHans> tyche: they do sell non-alcoholic stuff and there are hotels in the area
    21:19 < johnc4510> the email said there would be like 4 or 5 tables, and plenty of chairs
    21:19 < fuzzyvader> i'm fuzzy, aka Nathan Blakey out of Havasu i'm a total noob
    21:19 < xHans> moin moin fuzzyvader
    21:19 < fuzzyvader> lol
    21:19 < fuzzyvader> ok
    21:19 < tyche> johnc4510: fuzzyvader is new
    21:19 < johnc4510> fuzzyvader: np, we're glad to have you here
    21:19 < fuzzyvader> don't know what that means
    21:19 < johnc4510> yeah
    21:19 < fuzzyvader> thx
    21:19 < fuzzyvader> tyche has been a huge help
    21:19 < johnc4510> fuzzyvader: feel free to hang out here anytime
    21:20 < tyche> In fact, you may need to approve him in Launchpad
    21:20 < johnc4510> someones always aroundd
    21:20 < johnc4510> k
    21:20 < fuzzyvader> sorry i'm late
    21:20 < johnc4510> np
    21:20 < fuzzyvader> did i miss anything important?
    21:20 < matthewmpp> fuzzyvader: moin moin is Hans way of saying Hello.
    21:20 < [R]> xHans: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=4th+St&daddr=32.231808,-110.959125&hl=en&geocode=FaXK6wEdSPZi-Q%3B&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=18&sll=32.231344,-110.957907&sspn=0.002065,0.004823&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=18
    21:20 < [R]> xHans: thats approximately gould-simpson to penguins
    21:20 < johnc4510> also, the place is right by a wifi node so internet hookup should be good
    21:20 < tyche> Nothing you can't get from the newsletter, wednesday
    21:21 < fuzzyvader> ok
    21:21 < johnc4510> so, what we need now is to get the flyer going
    21:21 < xHans> [R]: ok, does the trolley run that route?
    21:21 < johnc4510> i need to get the parking access info
    21:21 < johnc4510> xHans: no
    21:22 < johnc4510> it's farther north
    21:22 < [R]> the trolley stops halfway down university before park
    21:22 < xHans> bah, UofA makes this hard
    21:22 < xHans> not near as hard as ASU makes it, but still...
    21:22 < xHans> :)
    21:22 < johnc4510> this place is right on 4th ave. from the freeway you exit on st. mary's and then turn left or east
    21:22 < paul928> when is the installfest?
    21:23 < johnc4510> 29th august
    21:23 < johnc4510> sat.
    21:23 < johnc4510> we have the room from 11 to 5 i think
    21:23 < xHans> SE corner of Euclid and University is where the Irish pub is?
    21:24 < azteech> sorry to be late ... lost track of time in a history show ....
    21:24 < [R]> xHans: somewhere near there
    21:24 < fuzzyvader> giggle me too
    21:24 < johnc4510> so, do we want to advertise the event from 11:30 to 4:30 leaving half an hour on each side to set up and tear down?
    21:24 < johnc4510> azteech: hey
    21:24 < [R]> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=Lowell+St&geocode=FRPF6wEd3vRi-Q&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=32.22844,-110.955327&sspn=0.00413,0.009645&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16
    21:24 < azteech> johnc4510 :)
    21:24 < tyche> I understood that we'd be able to get in at 10:00
    21:24 < [R]> i think that might be zone 1 parking that would be open on saturday
    21:24 < xHans> johnc4510: advertise the full time, but mention no new installs after 16:00
    21:25 < johnc4510> k
    21:25 < Flakeparadigm> Hello.  totally forgot tonight was the meeting
    21:26 < azteech> will attempt to be there for the fest .. but also have other commitments that day ... if I make it, my GF will be with me ...
    21:26 < fuzzyvader> lol, nobody is punctual, i'm in good company then
    21:26 < fuzzyvader> I want to go
    21:27 < Flakeparadigm> I'm going to try to make it
    21:27 < johnc4510> [R]: that's the covered parking i was talking about i think
    21:27 < fuzzyvader> if someone could clarify (tyche was patient with me earlier) fest is for noob and non lnx users... ABLEconf if for commercial...?
    21:28 < johnc4510> and i had said 4th ave, but by the college it's 6th
    21:28 < johnc4510> the street changes
    21:28 < xHans> fuzzyvader: Installfest is for helping people of all levels, but primarily those new or unsure
    21:28 < fuzzyvader> k
    21:28 < johnc4510> you still exit on st mary's off the freeway
    21:28 < Flakeparadigm> hey johnc4510
    21:28 < johnc4510> :)
    21:28 < tyche> fuzzyvader: It's not quite as clear cut as that.
    21:28 < tyche> There is some crossover
    21:28 < fuzzyvader> figured as much
    21:28 < xHans> ABLEconf is a conference focussed on Free Software for business
    21:29 < fuzzyvader> ok
    21:29 < tyche> One just has to be prepared.  Hee hee
    21:29 < fuzzyvader> lol
    21:29 < johnc4510> fuzzyvader: we do installfests for anyone
    21:29 < [R]> johnc4510: there is an open lot next to the covered parking
    21:29 < [R]> johnc4510: now i know what you are talking about
    21:29 < johnc4510> it's a good way to promote ubuntu
    21:29 < fuzzyvader> so are we sorting out details of...
    21:29 < azteech> lol, tyche ... that is for the boy scouts ....
    21:29 < [R]> johnc4510: i dont think that garage is open
    21:29 < fuzzyvader> ?
    21:29 < johnc4510> [R]: k
    21:29 < johnc4510> thx
    21:29 < xHans> fuzzyvader: Installfest is a generic event ( there's a monthly Installfest in Phoenix ), but ABLEconf is a specific conference
    21:30 < johnc4510> [R]: you said zone 1 is open on sat?
    21:30 < fuzzyvader> ok
    21:30 < [R]> johnc4510: yeah, if you goto the parking and transportation website, they should have a map
    21:30 < fuzzyvader> these dates and parking issues are for which?
    21:30 < [R]> of all the zone 1 lots
    21:30 < fuzzyvader> (i'm late my apologies)
    21:30 < [R]> lemme get you a link
    21:30 < johnc4510> fuzzyvader: ableconf is promoting open source computing in AZ whether it's ubuntu or another
    21:30 < [R]> http://parking.arizona.edu/
    21:30 < johnc4510> fuzzyvader: for the installfest in tucson
    21:30 < xHans> fuzzyvader: thus far all the talk has been about the upcoming Installfest in Tucson
    21:31 < fuzzyvader> gotcha thx
    21:31 < johnc4510> [R]: thx for the parking info
    21:31 < johnc4510> :)
    21:31 < johnc4510> scott_ev: you here
    21:31 < scott_ev> yes
    21:32 < [R]> johnc4510: np
    21:32 < matthewmpp> Good to see you again scott.
    21:32 < scott_ev> hey matthewmpp
    21:32 < johnc4510> scott_ev: we need to know if we can use the u of a logo to advertise on the flyer
    21:33 < johnc4510> or just say the CS Dept of the u of a
    21:33 < scott_ev> actually i think we should
    21:33 < johnc4510> yeah but we may need permission
    21:33 < scott_ev> well, but just listing the u of a cd dept would be safer
    21:33 < [R]> johnc4510: i'm trying to think of who you would need to clear that through
    21:33 < johnc4510> scott_ev: also, we need to know if they want flyers to hand out or put in the dept for people to take
    21:34 < johnc4510> how many and where to deliver them
    21:34 < johnc4510> :)
    21:34 < scott_ev> ok, I'll know asap
    21:34 < johnc4510> thx
    21:34 < johnc4510> [R]: thx
    21:34 < tyche> And do you want me to make them up full page or half page.
    21:34 < scott_ev> I'd say full
    21:34 < tyche> OK
    21:34 < johnc4510> tyche: half pages i think...then we can cut them in half
    21:35 < johnc4510> ooops
    21:35 < johnc4510> ok, i guess we need to discuss that
    21:35 < tyche> OK, that's got me totally confused.  Hee hee
    21:35 < Flakeparadigm> Wow, I just got distracted by that google maps link :P
    21:35 < johnc4510> the only reason i said half was to save paper cost
    21:36 < johnc4510> but it doesn't matter to me
    21:36 < johnc4510> ? will we have enought info to cover a whole page tyche
    21:36 < tyche> I'm not sure I could give you enough separation in half pages.  I can try.  It could involve a lot of cutting.
    21:36 < scott_ev> true, It may really not matter
    21:36 < johnc4510> tyche: ok
    21:36 < scott_ev> but full pages would be easier to read
    21:36 < johnc4510> then lets go whole pages then
    21:37 < tyche> Oh, sure.  In fact, with the address, it would be easier to do full page.
    21:37 < johnc4510> k, do that then
    21:37 < tyche> OK Full page it is.
    21:37 < johnc4510> don't pay any attention to me LOL
    21:37 < johnc4510> :)
    21:37 < scott_ev> did everyone get a good look at the map I gave john?
    21:37 < scott_ev> http://iiewww.ccit.arizona.edu/uamap/staticLarge/77.html
    21:37 < tyche> I don't pay anything I don't have to.
    21:38 < johnc4510> scott_ev: yeah i posted it
    21:38 < johnc4510> thx
    21:38 < scott_ev> isn't park for anyone on weekends?
    21:38 < [R]> johnc4510: http://logos.arizona.edu/ have you seen that site?
    21:38 < scott_ev> or is it student/faculty on weekends too?
    21:38 < johnc4510> scott_ev: we're not sure but we think zone 1 lots are
    21:38 < [R]> zone 1 lots are open to anyone on the weekends
    21:38 < johnc4510> [R]: looking
    21:39 < scott_ev> well, we can always ask jan o when we show up
    21:39 < scott_ev> most of the attendees are likely to already know what the rules are
    21:39 < johnc4510> [R]: thx
    21:40 < johnc4510> yes, we are pushing on campus attendance
    21:40 < scott_ev> so are teh CS dept
    21:40 < johnc4510> but for most team members we'll need to know about parking
    21:40 < scott_ev> they realy think this will help them alot
    21:40 < johnc4510> and it should be in the flyer
    21:40 < scott_ev> true
    21:40  * slofgren hopes it goes well
    21:40 < johnc4510> slofgren: evening bud
    21:41 < slofgren> hey
    21:41 < johnc4510> ok, i'll get the last of the items for the flyer tomorrow except the logo of U of A ( scott_ev )
    21:42 < paul928> Computer Science
    21:42 < paul928> Robyn Austin
    21:42 < paul928> raustin@email.arizona.edu
    21:42 < paul928> 626-8470
    21:42 < johnc4510> thx
    21:42 < johnc4510> ok, let's let xHans make his announcements
    21:42 < paul928> that's the brand advocate for computer science for U of A
    21:42  * matthewmpp looks to see if xHans is awake.
    21:42 < scott_ev> I have a # for parking enforcement I can call  tomorrow about parking
    21:43 < johnc4510> paul928: thx
    21:43 < xHans> matthewmpp: passed out a while ago :)
    21:43 < johnc4510> lol
    21:44 < johnc4510> xHans: you're up please
    21:44 < johnc4510> :)
    21:44 < xHans> johnc4510: ok, danke
    21:44 < xHans> both Phoenix Stammtische are this week
    21:44 < xHans> Tuesday in Tempe, Wednesday in Avondale
    21:45 < xHans> http://www.LuftHans.com/Free_Software_Stammtisch
    21:45 < xHans> Phoenix Installfest is _not_ this Saturday, it's next week
    21:45 < xHans> the Installfest is the _last_ Saturday of the month
    21:45 < xHans> MCC classes start in a week
    21:45 < xHans> http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes
    21:45 < xHans> we really need students for the shell scripting and OpenOffice.org classes
    21:46 < xHans> the OpenOffice.org class is online, so can be taken from anywhere that has a network connection
    21:46 < xHans> ABLEconf has a call for presentations going out this week
    21:46 < xHans> we added LinuxJournal as a media sponsor
    21:46 < xHans> meetings in IRC every Sunday at 20:00, the hour before the loco mtg
    21:46 < xHans> http://www.ABLEconf.com/participate
    21:46 < xHans> johnc4510: that's it
    21:47 < johnc4510> xHans: thx for the info :)
    21:47 < fuzzyvader> <----- is curious about the MCC scripting?
    21:47 < johnc4510> !MCC
    21:47 < ubot4> Factoid 'MCC' not found
    21:48 -!- SlickMcRunFast [n=mark@ip24-255-46-64.tc.ph.cox.net] has quit ["Leaving."]
    21:48 < xHans> fuzzyvader: Mesa Community College
    21:48 < johnc4510> i actually don't know anything about MCC scripting fuzzyvader
    21:48 < tyche> fuzzyvader: click the link.  xHans is pretty good about giving out information.
    21:48 < xHans> the shell scripting is not yet an online class
    21:48 < johnc4510> yeah if he gave you a link it should be good
    21:48 < fuzzyvader> lol bummer :( MCC = Mohave... here
    21:48 < xHans> tyche: yeah, sometimes I think I give my students whiplash
    21:49 < fuzzyvader> you got my all excited for a sec
    21:49 < tyche> That's not information, xHans, that "attitude adjustment"
    21:49 < fuzzyvader> guess i need to move
    21:49 < xHans> fuzzyvader: ah, sorry about that
    21:49 < fuzzyvader> it's ok
    21:49 < xHans> fuzzyvader: you could still take the OOo class :)
    21:49 < fuzzyvader> do tell
    21:49 < fuzzyvader> ...?
    21:50 < xHans> and let me know if Mojave wants a remote instructor for Linux classes
    21:50 < fuzzyvader> THEY DO!
    21:50 < fuzzyvader>  well atleast one does
    21:50 < xHans> fuzzyvader: the OOo class is online, so you can take it from anywhere, being in Arizona probably makes signing up easier
    21:50 < fuzzyvader> I feel poorly represented by you phx folks, no insult intended
    21:51 < xHans> http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes/BPC110.html
    21:51 < fuzzyvader> link?
    21:51 < fuzzyvader> thx
    21:51 < matthewmpp> fuzzyvader: you could always start a LUG.
    21:51 < xHans> fuzzyvader: do you know who to talk to there?
    21:51 < fuzzyvader> Lnx user group, right?
    21:51 < fuzzyvader> nope
    21:51 < matthewmpp> yeah
    21:52 < xHans> fuzzyvader: we want to help in other parts of the state
    21:52 < fuzzyvader> lost in the sauce as they say
    21:52 < xHans> fuzzyvader: my goal is for ABLEconf to take place in other parts of the state, I'm hoping for Prescott in January
    21:52 < fuzzyvader> i would love to start one
    21:52 < fuzzyvader> have many satisfied patrons :D
    21:52 < johnc4510> fuzzyvader: what did you mean you felt poorly represented ????
    21:52 < xHans> fuzzyvader: got a local restaurant or bar with wifi that you like?
    21:53 < fuzzyvader> are you from mohave county?
    21:53 < fuzzyvader> my house count?
    21:53 < xHans> johnc4510: I think he meant outnumbered
    21:53 < johnc4510> ah
    21:53 < tyche> We've never been able to pin down where xHans is from.  Neither have the police.
    21:53 < tyche> Hee hee
    21:53 < xHans> fuzzyvader: it can if you want
    21:53 < fuzzyvader> lol
    21:54 < johnc4510> ok, all thx for a great meeting...we'll get the flyers finished up the first of the wk


Parent pages: ArizonaTeam/Meetings ArizonaTeam


CategoryArizonaTeam

ArizonaTeam/Meetings/09August16 (last edited 2009-08-18 16:25:31 by ip98-165-3-120)