|Slideshow ^ |< << Slide 43 of 79 >> >||
"Kith Intrepid" is a theme based "Kith" (Hardy), the lightweight cousin of the "Union" theme. The goal of the theme is not to set new art precedence, but merely go with "what looks good and would be functional"
Currently the theme plan is to use the same buttons from the themes in the reference links, and enable the outer "Window Halo" with Emerald. The window frames for non-compiz machines would be similar to the original Kith theme, with no need for emerald.
Due to it's similarities to Kith, Kin Intrepid will be updated in this wiki. Kin is essentially a more flashy version of Kith. Update 1: Live emerald theme is finished.
This screenshot is inaccurate as it uses clearlooks, but it's a close(er) example of what I want it to look like. I GIMP'd the image to include what the glow around the buttons looks like, and it's exactly what it looks like if you've tried the Kith theme (only with minor corrections for the Kin theme).
Downloads to come as portions are completed.
The theme is now once again underway; I needed hardware and a net connection, I now have both. The Kith theme will be built and released somewhat in the order below:
- Build a theme pieced together from other themes similar to the goal of kith. There will be minimal original artwork other than the wallpaper, Murinne will be the widget engine.
- Build an emerald theme via Pixmaps, and do colour corrections on the GTK to match.
- Fine tune the GTK to be closer to the goal.
- If possible, begin work on an Emerald "Kith" Engine to replace the Pixmap version.
- Polish the theme with several builds fixing bugs, making tweaks, etc.
After completion of "Kith",
- Work on building the window "Underbuttons", probably code-borrowing from the title buttons to execute programmable compiz-commands.
- Colour Varieties
Some information about the themes progress will be placed here as it's completed. Currently, a Murrine theme has been configured - although basic and somewhat run-of-the-mill, its working. The emerald theme is en-route, and so far a good portion of the frame is ready.
Polish is already going into elements; the buttons on the windowframes for example have a glow that appears to be from a light source underneath the window, with elements such as the outer-halo frame still covering the light. Care has been taken to ensure noting looks rough-around-the-edges, with small modifications to every frame element as I go for the smoothest theme.
An experiment with dark panels is on the table too, it looks classy being set as the panel background, but has yet to be integrated. A screenshot will be posted with the full theme package later this week when I finish tweaking the emerald and Murrine themes.
Image by Ken Vermette
Currently, Kith development is well underway, and the emerald theme is near completion. At this point, the button glows are still being tweaked, and in the GTK some colour tweaks are necessary aswell. Work on the panels has yet to start, however due to engine limitations the panels will not have the orange wireframe.
Theme files will be posted sometime during the weekend.
There are no GTK themes available as of yet, the theme so far is only within concept stages. The theme goals mirror the original Union project:
- Be extremely clean with minimal clutter; Avoid information overflow.
- Use sharp graphics and smooth gradients; Make the theme clear-cut yet gentle.
- Showcase a unique visual identity; People know Ubuntu when they see it.
- Look solid, yet lightweight; People hate flimsy feeling windows and being weighed down.
- Demonstrate the cutting edge without overstepping; Use as much technology we have, use very little we don't.
- Display the graphical prowess of Linux; Some people still think we only have command-line.
The styles of the above pictures are a difference in the minimize, maximize and close buttons
Revision .02 Studio Style
Version .01 :: SVG Source :: Image by Ken Vermette
Version .01 :: SVG Source :: Image by Ken Vermette
Themes Origional Union Theme
- For images, use a low resolution picture in the wiki page. It should be no taller than 240 pixels. If you need to upload higher resolutions, please upload them as an attachment and link to them from the page.
There are two tools located at Artwork/Documentation/Software/Wiki_Scripts to help you with this
Use attachment:thumbnail.png and [attachment:file.png linkname]
Use @SIG@ to leave your signature at the end of your comment. New comments should be placed at the bottom of the feedback.
- Great! I Like it. Although I have some minor criticisms,only that some parts (such as the Close, Maximize and Minimize buttons) could use slightly darker colours to make them easier to see, especially for people who don't have perfect vision.
- I will tweak the contrast of several elements for better readability, thank you.
- Kver3, You've made yet another theme. Is this partly designed off the Union theme? Thanks and good luck,
-- Lmessenger 2008-06-07 03:52:40
- Union was the base for the origional Kith theme, although it will not inherit the impossible dropdowns, the theme will have bold orange, brown, or piano black highlights.
Wow, I really like the maximize & minimize buttons, however I think we can't have just orange for the theme, maybe add in some white where the window sbackgorund is (ie. on the screenshot, surrounding the ubuntu logo). -/- Rugby471
Revision .02 wallpaper is pretty nice but the theme has waaay too much orange. Try and contrast it with some light grey or white!-- Brettalton 2008-06-18 22:27:58
- I want to make several colour variations of the theme, so a few wallpapers will be in order, consider it done.
Fantastic design, very clear-cut and functionalist. I would love to see this implemented, even though I find the wallpaper quite harsh in contrast with the minimalistic theme and window decoration. -- jegHegy 2023-01-31 13:17:38
- a wallpaper sans ibex will be made, and there will be a wall with a less prominent ibex aswell.
- Thank you to everyone for the excellent ideas and input, work will recommence soon on the theme, and a true working Kith theme will be part of this. It could be 2 weeks before I am running again though - so relax and keep the good stuff comin!
- Im not a huge fan of the theme. However I really do like the artsy wallpaper. Good work on that! -- Sportman1280
- Wonderful theme. Very clean, and good contrast with darker panels. The Human icons look too glossy for this theme though.
- The Kin Intrepid Revision 0.01 looks very well, I like it. Good Work!