Intrepid needs a new usplash. It is the first thing people see when they start Ubuntu, it should make an impression. It should also be consistent with the default theme, especially, for instance the progress bar (though in some of the mockups below I've rather broken this rule in order to use the some of the grey from New Wave! I tried an orange progress bar, but with the logo being so large and, well, orange, it just looked a little tooooo orange).
Anchor(ConceptArt) Concept Art
This concept highlights the way that ubuntu brings people together. First 1 person, then a second and finally a third join hands in collaboration. When they have all got together the fruits of their labour, ubuntu, appears in the middle!
The mock up below comes from a design I saw for a Hardy usplash (ref. below). I think that at the same time that the ubuntu text appears, the progress bar should appear below the logo. So that the bit of the progress bar currently taken up by the ping-pong orange racket will be replaced by the logo below (I hate ping-pong progress bars!), but there will still be a normal progress bar with 1% increments for the second half of loading which requires it.
Variation 1: Here is the usplash as you might see it (in reality I think part 1 would loop a few times before the part 2 and its progress bar actually appear).
Part 1 and 2 of splash explained: Splash part 1 (this will loop until the initial loading, in Hardy displayed by the orange ping-pong, is done). See attachment - intrepidusplashsmall.gif below. Splash part 2 (progress bar, for the part of the usplash currently done by... well, the progress bar!). See attachment - usplashprogresssmall.gif below.
Variation 2: Clockwise with orange progress bar.
Variation 3: Small, white background, no text.
Variation 4: Normal, but with white background.
This simpler concept still focuses on the unity of the ubuntu circle but, forgoes text and distracting animations for a more minimalist look.
Variation 2: With orange progress bar.
Spinning Ubuntu Logo
The ubuntu logo spins at first, then stops and a progress bar appears for main loading.
Variant: The balls spin the other way...
Concepts 1 & 3: A resurrection of this usplash design for hardy: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/usplash_for_hardy
* Love the Splash part 1 and the Concept 2.. Let's forget the linear progressbar, more roundness and sharpness! Maybe little better with the circular progressbar in orange-ubuntuish colours, if i can make a suggest!- Mariux
Thanks for the comment Mariux. The only problem I foresee with an orange progress bar is that with it being so close to the logo thats a lot of orange! NickRussell
* Concept 2 is definitely my favourite. Bringing in the circular progress bar looks very interesting. I think that the Ubuntu logo needs to be placed in it, though. - Cloudfx
* Rotating ubuntu, anyone? - Broomfighter
* Concept 2 would be nice. No, please don't place a rotating ubuntu logo. -Kido
* Concept 2, Variation 1 is very nice. I would though like to see that one with a white background and a lighter gray for the progress. I hope the circular progress will become a reality.
* Keep it small! The small logo is a really good idea to deal elegantly with a poor splash screen resolution (Concept 1,V3).
*With the orange circular progressbar now it's amazing! Weel Done! - ["Mariux"]
* To Broomfighter, I thought exactly the same thing, so I made it in flash. Hope you enjoy it. To Kido - Why not? Note that my flash files (ubuntu_usplash.swf and ubuntu_usplash_2wayspin.swf) are pure concept. They also don't perfectly rotate around the center - this is PURELY AN IDEA. I don't know how to make a usplash (I don't even know it the spin is possible), but I am keen to learn. Another idea - how about a 'configure bootloader' entry in the preferences menu of ubuntu, with multiple usplashes? This would allow a small logo if you wanted, and also a way to manage other usplashes (kubuntu, xubuntu etc.) -nuclearpidgeon-