20101013

Meeting page for meeting of October 13, 2010 at 23:00:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting

General Agenda Items and Proposals

Who

What

duanedesign

Changing the wiki to fit the new theme

Log

   1 [00:35] <duanedesign> #startmeeting
   2 [00:35] <MootBot> Meeting started at 18:35. The chair is duanedesign.
   3 [00:35] <MootBot> Commands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE]
   4 [00:35] <duanedesign> good day all
   5 [00:35] <MichealH-iPod> Hi duanedesign
   6 [00:35] <Mohan_chml> Hola duanedesign
   7 [00:36] <duanedesign> [TOPIC] wiki update for new theme
   8 [00:36] <MootBot> New Topic:  wiki update for new theme
   9 [00:36] <collinp> I apologize, I'll be drifting in and out for most of the meeting, as there are things happening IRL currently around me.
  10 [00:36] <duanedesign> mr cprofitt has started on redesigning our wiki to fit the new theme
  11 [00:37]  * nhandler thanks cprofitt for taking on this task
  12 [00:37] <duanedesign> the new theme , as far i know, is set to go live tom
  13 [00:37] <duanedesign> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam
  14 [00:37] <nhandler> We just need to make sure that whatever theme we go with is still usable with other wiki themes. i.e. I use a Kubuntu wiki theme
  15 [00:38] <MichealH-iPod> Yup
  16 [00:38] <duanedesign> that is a good point
  17 [00:39] <duanedesign> Saji has worked on this page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/FocusGroups/Wiki
  18 [00:39] <phillw> As non-official, we use a lubuntu header, but I've seen that the proposed one does not work.
  19 [00:39] <MichealH-iPod> I could do the Launchpadm
  20 [00:39] <duanedesign> it uses a look that is more 'nuetral'
  21 [00:40] <duanedesign> phillw: what does not work?
  22 [00:41] <phillw> it does not center, there is a bug report against it which I confirmed.
  23 [00:41] <duanedesign> ahh
  24 [00:41] <Mohan_chml> phillw: your team is working on it?
  25 [00:42] <phillw> Mohan_chml: we are not using the new ubuntu theme.
  26 [00:42] <MichealH-iPod> Phillw: it could be a syntax error/markup error?
  27 [00:42]  * phillw give me a moment to go through my logs and find the bug report, then you can see for yourselves.
  28 [00:43] <duanedesign> (a)lanbell is working on some bug fixes. His latest code is available at http://libertus.co.uk:8080/BeginnersTeam
  29 [00:43] <duanedesign> if you wanted to test our page^
  30 [00:43] <duanedesign> for example.
  31 [00:44] <duanedesign> so we should test our wiki as nhandler suggests.
  32 [00:45] <Mohan_chml> Agreed
  33 [00:45] <MichealH-iPod> Like a trial basis
  34 [00:45] <phillw> nhandler: was it you who asked me to confirm the bug?
  35 [00:46] <duanedesign> zkreisse has offered to help with this topic as well
  36 [00:47] <Mohan_chml> Our wiki FG can help at anytime :)
  37 [00:47] <duanedesign> anyone interested in working on that. Should be fairly straight forward.
  38 [00:48] <phillw> zkreisse is a good lad,. If you need art work, then I may be able to kidnap our art person on the lubuntu team.
  39 [00:48] <MichealH-iPod> Anything with Launchpad I am happy to do...
  40 [00:48] <Mohan_chml> I will help zkreisse
  41 [00:49] <duanedesign> ok great
  42 [00:50] <nhandler> phillw: I didn't ask you to confirm anything
  43 [00:50] <duanedesign> there are a couple of threads already going on the mailinglist to report your findings :)
  44 [00:52] <duanedesign> [ACTION] mohan and zkreisse will look at the new theme on various *buntu wiki to help team make a final decision
  45 [00:52] <MootBot> ACTION received:  mohan and zkreisse will look at the new theme on various *buntu wiki to help team make a final decision
  46 [00:52] <Mohan_chml> At your service =]
  47 [00:53] <duanedesign> [TOPIC] Review List Of Prospective Members In Need Of Mentor
  48 [00:53] <MootBot> New Topic:  Review List Of Prospective Members In Need Of Mentor
  49 [00:54] <duanedesign> I think silverfox is going to be helping us in the future with our mentor program. You may remember  a couple meetings ago we asked for volunteers for a Mentor Admin
  50 [00:55] <duanedesign> i think this will help us a lot to improve the quality of our mentor program.
  51 [00:55] <Mohan_chml> yes and FYI, I saw people adding their name in our wiki but when they are said to come to Our channel in IRC, they are not. We already informed all the people needing mentors to come to our channel. We have to change/add some rules that they should make their presence in #ubuntu-beginners
  52 [00:55] <nhandler> Agreed. Having someone keeping this on track will be good
  53 [00:56] <duanedesign> Mohan_chml: yes. Our sessions in -classroom have also brought an influx of users wanting to join BT. Specifically they are interested in -dev
  54 [00:57] <duanedesign> some of them have not added there name to the prospect seeking mentor list
  55 [00:58] <duanedesign> so both are good points were someone keeping on top of this will be beneficial
  56 [00:58] <duanedesign> looking at the list now
  57 [00:58] <Mohan_chml> But they are visiting -dev more and they are enquiring about development and that is a good news. Thanks to pedro3005 and other staffs
  58 [01:00] <duanedesign> yes the community at large has been very interesteed in increasing the participation of developers in Ubuntu
  59 [01:00] <duanedesign> another place the BT could really make a difference \o/
  60 [01:00] <MichealH-iPod> Yup \o/
  61 [01:00] <Mohan_chml> for sure =]
  62 [01:00] <duanedesign> the list of prospect seeking mentors is a little old
  63 [01:01] <MichealH-iPod> Just today I was thinking of a Q&A session every month or so
  64 [01:01] <MichealH-iPod> Hard questions --> -beginners
  65 [01:01] <duanedesign> those folks signed up, If i am remembering correctly, and have not really followed through
  66 [01:01] <Mohan_chml> My suggestion is, "we can send a mail(final one) to those people to come to IRC, if they are really interested"
  67 [01:02] <duanedesign> Mohan_chml: i agree, that is a good idea
  68 [01:02] <MichealH-iPod> And to see of they even signed up to the lists :P
  69 [01:03] <Mohan_chml> and we have one more applicant who didn't add his name in the page but sent a mail to our mailings list.Brandon Tomlinson with the nick thebwt
  70 [01:03] <duanedesign> also we can go through the mailing list for the last two months and try and contact those that sent hello letters and never put name on wiki
  71 [01:03] <Mohan_chml> His wiki is https://wiki.ubuntu.com/thebwt
  72 [01:04] <duanedesign> would be good for us to do this and help silverfox start with a clean slate :)
  73 [01:04] <Mohan_chml> He mentioned about BT-dev \o/
  74 [01:04]  * phillw is willing to take on a "trainee", 
  75 [01:04] <duanedesign> great
  76 [01:04] <phillw> depends if you guys wish me to do so.
  77 [01:04] <Mohan_chml> phillw: thebwt https://wiki.ubuntu.com/thebwt is there in BT now also =]
  78 [01:05] <Mohan_chml> check out his time and rock it on phillw =]
  79 [01:05] <phillw> Mohan_chml: I'd be proud to do so.
  80 [01:05] <Mohan_chml> (:
  81 [01:06] <MichealH-iPod> I currently have a mentor heh
  82 [01:07] <duanedesign> [ACTION] duanedesign will contact those on prospect seeking mentor list. Also contact community members who have sent hello letter to ML but not signed up on prospect seeking mentor list
  83 [01:07] <MootBot> ACTION received:  duanedesign will contact those on prospect seeking mentor list. Also contact community members who have sent hello letter to ML but not signed up on prospect seeking mentor list
  84 [01:07] <duanedesign> MichealH-iPod: who is that?
  85 [01:07] <phillw> I tried to contact https://wiki.ubuntu.com/kdotj but have not had a response.
  86 [01:07] <Mohan_chml> And I have a suggestion. We should identify the mentors good in programming(mentioning what they are good with) in our wiki and we can tell people to contact them
  87 [01:07] <MichealH-iPod> cprofitt
  88 [01:07] <duanedesign> MichealH-iPod: ahh good one
  89 [01:07] <duanedesign> :)
  90 [01:08] <MichealH-iPod> :)
  91 [01:08] <Mohan_chml> Okay then. we can remove kdotl from our wiki
  92 [01:08] <Mohan_chml> kdotj*
  93 [01:08] <duanedesign> the mentor/ prospect relationship is a great opportunity to make good friends. I have stayed close to all my prospects(padawans)
  94 [01:09] <Mohan_chml> Silver_Fox missed this meeting and One should be reporting him to start working on the mentors list
  95 [01:09]  * phillw can do GMT or +5 hours as my shift patterns.
  96 [01:09] <Mohan_chml> +1 duanedesign
  97 [01:10] <phillw> +1 duanedesign I still nag nhandler to death :)
  98 [01:10] <Mohan_chml> lol
  99 [01:10] <duanedesign> Mohan_chml: good idea. i did touch base with SF the other day on this but i will do so again to let SF know we are going to try and clear out the queue to offer clean slate
 100 [01:10] <Mohan_chml> phillw: we need nhandler. do not make him run away :P
 101 [01:11] <nhandler> :)
 102 [01:11] <phillw> SF has not been well, he's getting better. But like the stubborn ox he is; he did not tell anyone.
 103 [01:11] <duanedesign> :(
 104 [01:11] <Mohan_chml> :o
 105 [01:11] <duanedesign> ok moving on
 106 [01:12] <malev> I'm sorry, what is SF?
 107 [01:12] <duanedesign> [TOPIC] Request Status Update From All Mentors
 108 [01:12] <MootBot> New Topic:  Request Status Update From All Mentors
 109 [01:12] <duanedesign> malev: silverfox
 110 [01:12] <duanedesign> :)
 111 [01:12] <malev> COOL
 112 [01:12] <duanedesign> ill go first
 113 [01:13] <duanedesign> my prospects malev and km0r3 are doing great
 114 [01:14] <duanedesign> the membership process has been in a state of 'change; for a little bit now
 115 [01:14] <duanedesign> the council is working hard to finalize all membership requirments so there is no confusion
 116 [01:15] <duanedesign> i appreciatte all prospects patience during this time
 117 [01:15] <duanedesign> we are going to require all mentors to update monthly by meeting or ML to the mentor admin (silverfox)
 118 [01:15] <nhandler> But keep in mind, just because you are not an official member does not mean you are unable to participate in team activities/contribute
 119 [01:16] <duanedesign> absolutely
 120 [01:16] <Mohan_chml> +1
 121 [01:16] <malev> excelent!
 122 [01:16] <MichealH-iPod> I am not a member but look at me!
 123 [01:16] <duanedesign> anyone else with a padawan that wants to comment
 124 [01:17] <Mohan_chml> p/
 125 [01:17] <Mohan_chml> aww o/* typo :P
 126 [01:17]  * phillw has a prospective member, but not ready to propose him yet.
 127 [01:17] <duanedesign> sounds good phillw
 128 [01:18] <phillw> but that is for full ubuntu membership, not just UBT
 129 [01:18] <duanedesign> no one is up for voting
 130 [01:18] <duanedesign> right now
 131 [01:18] <Mohan_chml> My prospect JoeMavericksett is doing awesome in helping in BT as well as #ubuntu. I am making him learn about all and he is enjoying learning new stuff daily. I am putting up the schedules for him to what to learn and I am testing him how far he learnt.
 132 [01:18] <Mohan_chml> and I am also knowing new daily =]
 133 [01:19] <duanedesign> i have seen joemaverick around in -team and it has been nice getting to know him/her
 134 [01:19] <Mohan_chml> Him :)
 135 [01:19] <phillw> Mohan_chml: If he is helping, and doung it well, then he deserves membership of UBT
 136 [01:19] <duanedesign> anyone want to volunteer with Post-Meeting Tasks
 137 [01:20] <duanedesign> update team rerport, wiki with next meeting date
 138 [01:20] <phillw> duanedesign: hit me with one, and I will do it.
 139 [01:20]  * Mohan_chml hits phillw with a chair 
 140 [01:20] <duanedesign> phillw: have you done a team report before
 141 [01:20]  * phillw wiki is me :)
 142 [01:20] <duanedesign> Mohan_chml: :)
 143 [01:20] <MichealH-iPod> I could do one
 144 [01:20] <duanedesign> phillw: ok. if you have any questions me or nhandler can probably help
 145 [01:21] <phillw> yeah, I did, but a while back. For lubuntu
 146 [01:21] <duanedesign> MichealH-iPod: #
 147 [01:21] <duanedesign> Update Next meeting time on the wiki
 148 [01:21] <nhandler> Yep, I have no issue helping (just don't have time to do it myself right now)
 149 [01:21] <Mohan_chml> MichealH: you support phillw with your ideas
 150 [01:21] <duanedesign> how about that one MichealH-iPod
 151 [01:21] <Mohan_chml> MichealH-iPod: ^
 152 [01:21] <MichealH-iPod> What one?
 153 [01:21] <Mohan_chml> <duanedesign> Update Next meeting time on the wiki
 154 [01:21] <duanedesign> MichealH-iPod: just update the meeting header on wiki with date of next meeting
 155 [01:22] <MichealH-iPod> Okay
 156 [01:22] <Mohan_chml> MichealH-iPod: and help phillw in writing team report :)
 157 [01:22] <MichealH-iPod> Where do I find the header?
 158 [01:22] <duanedesign> MichealH-iPod: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/Includes/Bulletin
 159 [01:22] <MichealH-iPod> Okay
 160 [01:22] <duanedesign> i will send minutes to the ML
 161 [01:23] <duanedesign> i have to go all, sorry to stop so ubruptly
 162 [01:23] <phillw> was  it decided to remove https://wiki.ubuntu.com/kdotj from the mentoring list, sorry but I'm also on lubuntu support area.
 163 [01:23] <MichealH-iPod> When is next meeting?
 164 [01:23] <duanedesign> phillw: i think we will send a finale email. Oh wait yu did that?
 165 [01:23] <duanedesign> MichealH-iPod: second tuesday of next month
 166 [01:24] <duanedesign> #endmeeting
 167 [01:24] <MootBot> Meeting finished at 19:24.
 168 [01:24] <duanedesign> ok all i will be back in 30 minutes have a real world issue and must scoot
 169 [01:24] <MichealH-iPod> duanedesign: I can't really bring up my calendar on this so can you tell me
 170 [01:24]  * Mohan_chml takes the chair and hits phillw, when duanedesign gets off from it
 171 [01:24] <phillw> duanedesign: I have only added my self as willing mentor, not deleted anyone. I sent him an email a couple of days ago and have not had a response.
 172 [01:24] <duanedesign> MichealH-iPod: nov 9
 173 [01:25] <MichealH-iPod> Thanks
 174 [01:25] <duanedesign> see you all in #ubuntu-beginners-team
 175 [01:25] <Mohan_chml> cya duanedesign
 176 [01:25] <duanedesign> thank you for coming to the meeting!
 177 [01:30] <MichealH-iPod> Done
 178 [01:30] <MichealH-iPod> Is it okay
 179 [01:30] <MichealH-iPod> duanedesign: ^^
 180 [01:31] <Mohan_chml> MichealH-iPod: Yes okay :)
 181 [01:31] <MichealH-iPod> Thanks


CategoryBeginnersTeam

BeginnersTeam/Meetings/20101013 (last edited 2010-11-10 08:47:02 by duanedesign)