20090311

Differences between revisions 2 and 3
Revision 2 as of 2009-05-07 02:22:51
Size: 11934
Editor: 99-21-107-94
Comment:
Revision 3 as of 2009-07-01 19:19:20
Size: 10702
Editor: 99-21-107-94
Comment:
Deletions are marked like this. Additions are marked like this.
Line 11: Line 11:

[Wed Mar 11
22:59:39] <nhandler> Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/FocusGroups/Launchpad/Meetings

[Wed Mar 11 22:59:41] <Rocket2DMn> on vantrax or ajmorris huh

[Wed Mar 11 23:0:1] <nhandler> Vantrax said he had work. I haven't seen ajmorris for a while

[Wed Mar 11 23:0:41] <nhandler> I actually want to go a little out of order and start with item #2 on the agenda

[Wed Mar 11 23:0:57] <nhandler> Hi PartyBoi2

[Wed Mar 11 23:1:8] <PartyBoi2> hi guys :)

[Wed Mar 11 23:1:10] <jgoguen> haz ppl!

[Wed Mar 11 23:1:21] <jgoguen> :)

[Wed Mar 11 23:1:
37] <nhandler> I am interested in seeing what area of Launchpad people are interested in contributing to

[Wed Mar 11 23:1:58] <bodhi_zazen> meeting here ?

[Wed Mar 11 23:2:1] <nhandler> Yes

[Wed Mar 11 23:2:44] <Rocket2DMn> Ok, I guess I'll start - BUGS!

[Wed Mar 11 23:2:46] <nhandler> If you are currently active on LP, could you please mention what areas you have been contributing to. If you are not active on LP, please say what areas you are interested in learning/starting to contribute to

[Wed Mar 11 23:2:49] <jgoguen> nhandler: myself, mostly bug triaging and some poking into Answers

[Wed Mar 11 23:3:4] <jgoguen> learning to triage anyway :)

[Wed Mar 11 23:3:20] <nhandler> Has anyone tried translations?

[Wed Mar 11 23:3:36] <jgoguen> o/

[Wed Mar 11 23:3:44] <nhandler> What language?

[Wed Mar 11 23:3:50] <jgoguen> Canadian English

[Wed Mar 11 23:4:0] <nhandler> Very good

[Wed Mar 11 23:4:3] <jgoguen> I might try Canadian French too

[Wed Mar 11 23:4:13] <nhandler> I
personally spend a lot of time working with bugs that have patches

[Wed Mar 11
23:5:1] <Rocket2DMn> I tend to focus on new bugs, which means i spend a fair amount of time fiddling with development releases and crash reports

[Wed Mar 11 23:5:13] <nhandler> The reason I am asking is because I want to designate certain members as mentors.

[Wed Mar 11 23:5:19] <Rocket2DMn> on occasion i dig up really old bugs, too

[Wed Mar 11 23:5:30] <Rocket2DMn> i tend to get hate mail for the latter though

[Wed Mar 11 23:5:33] <nhandler> These mentors would help new users learn the ropes about a certain section of LP

[Wed Mar 11 23:5:45] <jgoguen> I've mostly been trying to go after older bugs, and some stuff on the hug days

[Wed Mar 11 23:5:57] <Rocket2DMn> I will probably be leading a bug triage class for the Education team

[Wed Mar 11 23:6:3] <nhandler> The mentors would also be encouraged to lead sessions through the education fg

[Wed Mar 11 23:6:17] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: Glad to hear that

[Wed Mar 11 23:7:6] <nhandler> I reserved all the LP related courses on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/FocusGroups/Education/Proposals for the FG

[Wed Mar 11 23:7:14] <nhandler> Is anyone here interested in leading a course?

[Wed Mar 11 23:7:45] <jgoguen> I'd be OK with doing Rosetta, I'm just not sure what exactly to cover and what to either leave out or for later

[Wed Mar 11 23:7:48] <nhandler> There is a proposal for how to use LP (bugs and answers) and one for how to use BZR

[Wed Mar 11 23:8:22] <nhandler> jgoguen: You can cover whatever you want. That is the great thing about leading it

[Wed Mar 11 23:8:50] <jgoguen> awesome...well then if there's a course for Rosetta I'm willing to take that

[Wed Mar 11 23:9:1] <jgoguen> staging.launchpad.net would be good for demos too

[Wed Mar 11 23:9:20] <nhandler> jgoguen: I don't think there is a proposal for that, b
ut you can go ahead and add it

[Wed Mar 11 23:9:29] <Rocket2DMn> "How to Use Launchpad" is a little vague, how much can you see about that?

[Wed Mar 11 23:9:31] <nhandler> staging.launchpad.net is nice...when it is working

[Wed Mar 11 23:10:8] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I think they just want an introduction to how to look up/report bugs and how to ask/answer questions

[Wed Mar
11 23:10:57] <nhandler> If you have any other course ideas, please talk to someone on the education fg about it. They can help you make all of the arrangements

[Wed Mar
11 23:11:10] <Rocket2DMn> nhandler, maybe it should be jsut geared toward users, not helpers/developers at all

[Wed Mar 11 23:11:23] <Rocket2DMn> kinda like ,how to use
LP to get support

[Wed Mar 11 23:11:34] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I think that would make a great course

[Wed Mar 11 23:11:40] <Rocket2DMn> so asking questions, filing bugs, following up with bugs, etc

[Wed Mar 11 23:12:1] <nhandler> Interested in leading it?

[Wed Mar 11 23:12:8] <Rocket2DMn> bug triage is a step up from that

[Wed Mar 11 23:12:17] <Rocket2DMn> ill lead triage, but somebody else can do the basic into to LP

[Wed Mar 11 23:13:14] <nhandler> 2 sessions are enough for me. Maybe Vantrax or ajmorris would be interested

[Wed Mar 11 23:13:59] <nhandler> Changing the topic, I would like to discuss the direction that this FG will go in

[Wed Mar 11 23:14:29] <nhandler> From the looks of it, we have members that have a wide range of interests on LP

[Wed Mar 11
23:14:46] <nhandler> Should we focus on a particular section of LP? Or should we cover all of it?

[Wed Mar 11 23:15:57] <Rocket2DMn> for a basic course, just provide an introduction to areas that new users would end up using - Overview (user info, joining teams), bugs (filing and searching), Answers (asking, responding)

[Wed Mar 11 23:16:16] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I'm talking about this FG, not education courses

[Wed Mar 11 23:16:29] <Rocket2DMn> ah i thought you were talking about an LP class for education

[Wed Mar 11 23:16:48] <Rocket2DMn> i think this group should just be for anything on LP

[Wed Mar 11 23:16:59] <nhandler> jgoguen: What do you think?

[Wed Mar 11 23:17:7] <jgoguen> If the people have enough experience with the various areas that collectively all of LP can be covered, then it all should be covered

[Wed Mar 11 23:17:43] <Rocket2DMn> I think the members of this FG should do what they like on LP, and can draw from other members' skills if they want to expand their knowledge base

[Wed Mar 11 23:18:49] <nhandler> What do you guys think about having mentors/leaders in this FG for the different sections of LP?

[Wed Mar 11 23:19:1] <jgoguen> Probably a good idea

[Wed Mar 11 23:19:16] <Rocket2DMn> Do we have enough people to do that?

[Wed Mar 11 23:19:35] <Rocket2DMn> I wouldn't mind making a table on the FG page to track people's skills, but I wouldn't go so far as to introduce a mentor program

[Wed Mar 11 23:19:44] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: We really don't have enough members to do much of anything. We will need to do a lot of recruiting

[Wed Mar 11 23:20:14] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: It wouldn't be a real mentor program. The mentors/leaders would be in charge of determining what direction this FG would take in their respective sections

[Wed Mar 11 23:20:34] <nhandler> They would also help teach new users the basics (which is the mentoring part)

[Wed Mar 11 23:20:51] <Rocket2DMn> nhandler, I agree, hence just having a table of skills should be enough. If somebody wants to learn something new, they just ask somebody with those skills

[Wed Mar 11 23:21:32] <Rocket2DMn> you can grade skill level with like "none, low, moderate, high, expert"

[Wed Mar 11 23:22:43] <nhandler> I'm even fine with just listing areas of interest and designating whether or not you feel you are capable of teaching new users about that area

[Wed Mar 11 23:23:12] <Rocket2DMn> I think we're after the same goal here :)

[Wed Mar 11 23:23:21] <nhandler> But before we can really do anything, we need more members

[Wed Mar 11 23:23:53] <Rocket2DMn> You want me to make that table on the LP FG page, and if you dont like it you can delete it?

[Wed Mar 11 23:24:1] <nhandler> I'll send out an email to the other members of the team on LP and try to determine if they are still interested in the team and just couldn't make the meeting, or if they have lost interest

[Wed Mar 11 23:24:12] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: Go for it :)

[Wed Mar 11 23:24:43] <nhandler> I think we should also try to pull some other BT members into the FG

[Wed Mar 11 23:24:50] <Rocket2DMn> Ok, maybe for keeping people involved, set a short expiration time on the LP fg membership, and if they prove to be dedicated, you can extend it for a longer period of time

[Wed Mar 11 23:25:20] <Rocket2DMn> LP is probably the best way to track FG members, maintaining a wiki page of members doesnt seem to work well

[Wed Mar 11 23:25:23] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I think I have the expiration currently set to 1/2 a year (like the real BT)

[Wed Mar 11 23:25:38] <Rocket2DMn> yeah, maybe something like 2 months would be better for starters :)

[Wed Mar
11 23:26:5] <nhandler> I can change that. Also, if anyone is willing to create a small icon for the LP team, that would be great

[Wed Mar 11 23:26:24] <nhandler> That way, I could easily identify FG members on LP using the Greasemonkey script

[Wed Mar 11 23:28
:9] <nhandler> Is there anything any of you guys would like to discuss?

[Wed Mar 11 23:28:36] <
Rocket2DMn> not at this time

[
Wed Mar 11 23:28:46] <nhandler> jgoguen: How about you?

[Wed Mar 11 23:28
:58] <jgoguen> nothing for me

[Wed Mar 11 23:29:11] <jgoguen
> I'm looking for the BT avatar overlay for a possible LP icon though

[
Wed Mar 11 23:29:31] <nhandler> jgoguen: I can hunt that down later

[Wed Mar 11 23:29:37] <nhandler> Ok, so the current plan is to work on recruiting new members and to get some classroom sessions going

[Wed Mar 11 23:29:5
4] <nhandler> What about meetings? When do you want to meet again?

[Wed Mar 11 23:30:9] <nhandler> I was thinking about a monthly meeting

[Wed Mar 11 23:30:30
] <Rocket2DMn> let's see where we are in a few weeks and decide if we want another meeting

[
Wed Mar 11 23:31:9] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I would prefer to get a meeting scheduled. We can always cancel it if we have no need for it

[Wed Mar 11 23:31:24] <Rocket2DMn> ok, if you want

[Wed Mar 11 23:31:38] <Rocket2DMn> This time of day works for me, Mon-Thu is best

[Wed Mar 11 23:32:5] <nhandler> I'm going to try and use Doodle to schedule this meeting

[Wed Mar 11 23:32:28] <nhandler> For those of you who haven't used it, you list a selection of dates and times. Each user can then specify what times work for them.

[Wed Mar 11 23:33:36] <nhandler> jgoguen: What days work for you
?

[Wed Mar 11 23:34:6] <Rocket2DMn> Doodle? Why not use gcal?

[Wed Mar 11
23:34:21] <jgoguen> I have class Wednesday nights from 7:00pm to 9:45pm UTC-3 but most of the time any other night is good

[Wed Mar 11 23:34:50] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: The final meeting time will go on the gcal. Doodle is to help choose the meeting date/time

[Wed Mar 11 23:35:2] <Rocket2DMn> ok, cool

[Wed Mar 11 23:36:1] <Rocket2DMn> i added that table to the page, it could probably be expanded on though (for instance, break down skills further)

[Wed Mar 11 23:36:23] <nhandler> Thanks a lot Rocket2DMn

[Wed Mar 11 23:38:5] <nhandler> If there is nothing else to discuss, I see no reason why we can't end the meeting early

[Wed Mar 11 23:38:14] <Rocket2DMn> +1

[Wed Mar 11 23:38:15] <nhandler> I'll send the Doodle link to the mailing list when I am done

[Wed Mar 11 23:38:36] <nhandler> jgoguen: Any last comments?

[Wed Mar 11 23:38:40] <Rocket2DMn> cool, thanks for organizing

[Wed Mar 11 23:38:55] <jgoguen> nope...just waiting for the Doodle link

[Wed Mar 11 23:39:40] <nhandler> http://www.doodle.com/d8qrhzzkg93s2muy

[Wed Mar 11 23:39:45] <nhandler> Ok, meeting over
{{{#!IRC
[
22:59:39] <nhandler> Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/FocusGroups/Launchpad/Meetings

[22:59:41] <Rocket2DMn> on vantrax or ajmorris huh

[23:0:1] <nhandler> Vantrax said he had work. I haven't seen ajmorris for a while

[23:0:41] <nhandler> I actually want to go a little out of order and start with item #2 on the agenda

[23:0:57] <nhandler> Hi PartyBoi2

[23:1:8] <PartyBoi2> hi guys :)

[23:1:10] <jgoguen> haz ppl!

[23:1:21] <jgoguen> :)

[
23:1:37] <nhandler> I am interested in seeing what area of Launchpad people are interested in contributing to

[23:1:58] <bodhi_zazen> meeting here ?

[23:2:1] <nhandler> Yes

[23:2:44] <Rocket2DMn> Ok, I guess I'll start - BUGS!

[23:2:46] <nhandler> If you are currently active on LP, could you please mention what areas you have been contributing to. If you are not active on LP, please say what areas you are interested in learning/starting to contribute to

[23:2:49] <jgoguen> nhandler: myself, mostly bug triaging and some poking into Answers

[23:3:4] <jgoguen> learning to triage anyway :)

[23:3:20] <nhandler> Has anyone tried translations?

[23:3:36] <jgoguen> o/

[23:3:44] <nhandler> What language?

[23:3:50] <jgoguen> Canadian English

[23:4:0] <nhandler> Very good

[23:4:3] <jgoguen> I might try Canadian French too

[23:4:
13] <nhandler> I personally spend a lot of time working with bugs that have patches

[
23:5:1] <Rocket2DMn> I tend to focus on new bugs, which means i spend a fair amount of time fiddling with development releases and crash reports

[23:5:13] <nhandler> The reason I am asking is because I want to designate certain members as mentors.

[23:5:19] <Rocket2DMn> on occasion i dig up really old bugs, too

[23:5:30] <Rocket2DMn> i tend to get hate mail for the latter though

[23:5:33] <nhandler> These mentors would help new users learn the ropes about a certain section of LP

[23:5:45] <jgoguen> I've mostly been trying to go after older bugs, and some stuff on the hug days

[23:5:57] <Rocket2DMn> I will probably be leading a bug triage class for the Education team

[23:6:3] <nhandler> The mentors would also be encouraged to lead sessions through the education fg

[23:6:17] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: Glad to hear that

[23:7:6] <nhandler> I reserved all the LP related courses on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/FocusGroups/Education/Proposals for the FG

[23:7:14] <nhandler> Is anyone here interested in leading a course?

[23:7:45] <jgoguen> I'd be OK with doing Rosetta, I'm just not sure what exactly to cover and what to either leave out or for later

[23:7:48] <nhandler> There is a proposal for how to use LP (bugs and answers) and one for how to use BZR

[23:8:22] <nhandler> jgoguen: You can cover whatever you want. That is the great thing about leading it

[23:8:50] <jgoguen> awesome...well then if there's a course for Rosetta I'm willing to take that

[23:9:1] <jgoguen> staging.launchpad.net would be good for demos too

[
23:9:20] <nhandler> jgoguen: I don't think there is a proposal for that, but you can go ahead and add it

[23:9:29] <Rocket2DMn> "How to Use Launchpad" is a little vague, how much can you see about that?

[23:9:31] <nhandler> staging.launchpad.net is nice...when it is working

[23:10:8] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I think they just want an introduction to how to look up/report bugs and how to ask/answer questions

[23:10:57] <nhandler> If you have any other course ideas, please talk to someone on the education fg about it. They can help you make all of the arrangements

[23:
11:10] <Rocket2DMn> nhandler, maybe it should be jsut geared toward users, not helpers/developers at all

[23:
11:23] <Rocket2DMn> kinda like ,how to use LP to get support

[23:
11:34] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I think that would make a great course

[
23:11:40] <Rocket2DMn> so asking questions, filing bugs, following up with bugs, etc

[23:12:1] <nhandler> Interested in leading it?

[23:12:8] <Rocket2DMn> bug triage is a step up from that

[23:12:17] <Rocket2DMn> ill lead triage, but somebody else can do the basic into to LP

[23:13:14] <nhandler> 2 sessions are enough for me. M
aybe Vantrax or ajmorris would be interested

[23:13:59] <nhandler> Changing the topic
, I would like to discuss the direction that this FG will go in

[23:14:29] <nhandler> From the looks of it, we ha
ve members that have a wide range of interests on LP

[
23:14:46] <nhandler> Should we focus on a particular section of LP? Or should we cover all of it?

[23:15:57] <Rocket2DMn> for a basic course, just provide an introduction to areas that new users would end up using - Overview (user info, joining teams), bugs (filing and searching), Answers (asking, responding)

[23:16:16] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I'm talking about this FG, not education courses

[23:16:29] <Rocket2DMn> ah i thought you were talking about an LP class for education

[23:16:48] <Rocket2DMn> i think this group should just be for anything on LP

[23:16:59] <nhandler> jgoguen: What do you think?

[23:17:7] <jgoguen> If the people have enough experience with the various areas that collectively all of LP can be covered, then it all should be covered

[23:17:43] <Rocket2DMn> I think the members of this FG should do what they like on LP, and can draw from other members' skills if they want to expand their knowledge base

[23:18:49] <nhandler> What do you guys think about having mentors/leaders in this FG for the different sections of LP?

[23:19:1] <jgoguen> Probably a good idea

[23:19:16] <Rocket2DMn> Do we have enough people to do that?

[23:19:35] <Rocket2DMn> I wouldn't mind making a table on the FG page to track people's skills, but I wouldn't go so far as to introduce a mentor program

[23:19:44] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: We really don't have enough members to do much of anything. We will need to do a lot of recruiting

[23:20:14] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: It wouldn't be a real mentor program. The mentors/leaders would be in charge of determining what direction this FG would take in their respective sections

[23:20:34] <nhandler> They would also help teach new users the basics (which is the mentoring part)

[23:20:51] <Rocket2DMn> nhandler, I agree, hence just having a table of skills should be enough. If somebody wants to learn something new, they just ask somebody with those skills

[23:21:32] <Rocket2DMn> you can grade skill level with like "none, low, moderate, high, expert"

[23:22:43] <nhandler> I'm even fine with just listing areas of interest and designating whether or not you feel you are capable of teaching new users about that area

[23:23:12] <Rocket2DMn> I think we're after the same goal here :)

[23:23:21] <nhandler> But before we can really do anything, we need more members

[23:23:53] <Rocket2DMn> You want me to make that table on the LP FG page, and if you dont like it you can delete it?

[23:24:1] <nhandler> I'll send out an email to the other members of the team on LP and try to determine if they are still interested in the team and just couldn't make the meeting, or if they have lost interest

[23:24:12] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: Go for it :)

[23:24:43] <nhandler> I think we should also try to pull some other BT members into the FG

[23:24:50] <Rocket2DMn> Ok, maybe for keeping people involved, set a short expiration time on the LP fg membership, and if they prove to be dedicated, you can extend it for a longer period of time

[23:25:20] <Rocket2DMn> LP is probably the best way to track FG members, maintaining a wiki page of members doesnt seem to work well

[23:25:23] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I think I have the expiration currently set to 1/2 a year (like the real BT)

[23:25:38] <Rocket2DMn> yeah, maybe something like 2 months would be better for starters :)

[23:26:5] <nhandler> I can change that. Also, if anyone is willing to create a small icon for the LP team, that would be great

[23:26:24] <nhandler> That way, I could easily identify FG members on LP using the Greasemonkey script

[23:28:9] <nhandler> Is there anything any of you guys would like to discuss?

[23:28:36] <Rocket2DMn> not at this time

[23:28:46] <nhandler> jgoguen: How about you?

[23:28:58] <jgoguen> nothing for me

[23:29:
11] <jgoguen> I'm looking for the BT avatar overlay for a possible LP icon though

[23:29:31] <nhandler> jgoguen: I can hunt that down later

[23:29:37] <nhandler> Ok, so the current plan is to work on recruiting new members and to get some classroom sessions going

[23:29:
54] <nhandler> What about meetings? When do you want to meet again?

[23:30:9] <nhandler> I was thinking about a monthly meeting

[23:30:30
] <Rocket2DMn> let's see where we are in a few weeks and decide if we want another meeting

[23:3
1:9] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I would prefer to get a meeting scheduled. We can always cancel it if we have no need for it

[23:31:24] <Rocket2D
Mn> ok, if you want

[23:3
1:38] <Rocket2DMn> This time of day works for me, Mon-Thu is best

[23:32
:5] <nhandler> I'm going to try and use Doodle to schedule this meeting

[23:32:28] <nhandler> For those of you who h
aven't used it, you list a selection of dates and times. Each user can then specify what times work for them.

[23:33:36] <nhandler> jgoguen:
What days work for you?

[23:3
4:6] <Rocket2DMn> Doodle? Why not use gcal?

[23:34:21] <jgoguen> I have class Wednesday nights from 7:00pm to 9:45pm UTC-3 but most of the time any other night is good

[23:34:50] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: The final meeting time will go on the gcal. Doodle is to help choose the meeting date/time

[23:35:2] <Rocket2DMn> ok, cool

[23:36:1] <Rocket2DMn> i added that table to the page, it could probably be expanded on though (for instance, break down skills further)

[23:36:23] <nhandler> Thanks a lot Rocket2DMn

[23:38:5] <nhandler> If there is nothing else to discuss, I see no reason why we can't end the meeting early

[23:38:14] <Rocket2DMn> +1

[23:38:15] <nhandler> I'll send the Doodle link to the mailing list when I am done

[23:38:36] <nhandler> jgoguen: Any last comments?

[23:38:40] <Rocket2DMn> cool, thanks for organizing

[23:38:55] <jgoguen> nope...just waiting for the Doodle link

[23:39:40] <nhandler> http://www.doodle.com/d8qrhzzkg93s2muy

[23:39:45] <nhandler> Ok, meeting over
}}}

Log of Launchpad Focus Group Meeting on 3/11/09

Meeting Agenda

Who

What

nhandler

Regular Meetings

nhandler

Areas of Interest

nhandler

Mentors

Log

   1 [22:59:39] <nhandler> Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/FocusGroups/Launchpad/Meetings
   2 
   3 [22:59:41] <Rocket2DMn> on vantrax or ajmorris huh
   4 
   5 [23:0:1] <nhandler> Vantrax said he had work. I haven't seen ajmorris for a while
   6 
   7 [23:0:41] <nhandler> I actually want to go a little out of order and start with item #2 on the agenda
   8 
   9 [23:0:57] <nhandler> Hi PartyBoi2
  10 
  11 [23:1:8] <PartyBoi2> hi guys :)
  12 
  13 [23:1:10] <jgoguen> haz ppl!
  14 
  15 [23:1:21] <jgoguen> :)
  16 
  17 [23:1:37] <nhandler> I am interested in seeing what area of Launchpad people are interested in contributing to
  18 
  19 [23:1:58] <bodhi_zazen> meeting here ?
  20 
  21 [23:2:1] <nhandler> Yes
  22 
  23 [23:2:44] <Rocket2DMn> Ok, I guess I'll start - BUGS!
  24 
  25 [23:2:46] <nhandler> If you are currently active on LP, could you please mention what areas you have been contributing to. If you are not active on LP, please say what areas you are interested in learning/starting to contribute to
  26 
  27 [23:2:49] <jgoguen> nhandler: myself, mostly bug triaging and some poking into Answers
  28 
  29 [23:3:4] <jgoguen> learning to triage anyway :)
  30 
  31 [23:3:20] <nhandler> Has anyone tried translations?
  32 
  33 [23:3:36] <jgoguen> o/
  34 
  35 [23:3:44] <nhandler> What language?
  36 
  37 [23:3:50] <jgoguen> Canadian English
  38 
  39 [23:4:0] <nhandler> Very good
  40 
  41 [23:4:3] <jgoguen> I might try Canadian French too
  42 
  43 [23:4:13] <nhandler> I personally spend a lot of time working with bugs that have patches
  44 
  45 [23:5:1] <Rocket2DMn> I tend to focus on new bugs, which means i spend a fair amount of time fiddling with development releases and crash reports
  46 
  47 [23:5:13] <nhandler> The reason I am asking is because I want to designate certain members as mentors.
  48 
  49 [23:5:19] <Rocket2DMn> on occasion i dig up really old bugs, too
  50 
  51 [23:5:30] <Rocket2DMn> i tend to get hate mail for the latter though
  52 
  53 [23:5:33] <nhandler> These mentors would help new users learn the ropes about a certain section of LP
  54 
  55 [23:5:45] <jgoguen> I've mostly been trying to go after older bugs, and some stuff on the hug days
  56 
  57 [23:5:57] <Rocket2DMn> I will probably be leading a bug triage class for the Education team
  58 
  59 [23:6:3] <nhandler> The mentors would also be encouraged to lead sessions through the education fg
  60 
  61 [23:6:17] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: Glad to hear that
  62 
  63 [23:7:6] <nhandler> I reserved all the LP related courses on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/FocusGroups/Education/Proposals for the FG
  64 
  65 [23:7:14] <nhandler> Is anyone here interested in leading a course?
  66 
  67 [23:7:45] <jgoguen> I'd be OK with doing Rosetta, I'm just not sure what exactly to cover and what to either leave out or for later
  68 
  69 [23:7:48] <nhandler> There is a proposal for how to use LP (bugs and answers) and one for how to use BZR
  70 
  71 [23:8:22] <nhandler> jgoguen: You can cover whatever you want. That is the great thing about leading it
  72 
  73 [23:8:50] <jgoguen> awesome...well then if there's a course for Rosetta I'm willing to take that
  74 
  75 [23:9:1] <jgoguen> staging.launchpad.net would be good for demos too
  76 
  77 [23:9:20] <nhandler> jgoguen: I don't think there is a proposal for that, but you can go ahead and add it
  78 
  79 [23:9:29] <Rocket2DMn> "How to Use Launchpad" is a little vague, how much can you see about that?
  80 
  81 [23:9:31] <nhandler> staging.launchpad.net is nice...when it is working
  82 
  83 [23:10:8] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I think they just want an introduction to how to look up/report bugs and how to ask/answer questions
  84 
  85 [23:10:57] <nhandler> If you have any other course ideas, please talk to someone on the education fg about it. They can help you make all of the arrangements
  86 
  87 [23:11:10] <Rocket2DMn> nhandler, maybe it should be jsut geared toward users, not helpers/developers at all
  88 
  89 [23:11:23] <Rocket2DMn> kinda like ,how to use LP to get support
  90 
  91 [23:11:34] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I think that would make a great course
  92 
  93 [23:11:40] <Rocket2DMn> so asking questions, filing bugs, following up with bugs, etc
  94 
  95 [23:12:1] <nhandler> Interested in leading it?
  96 
  97 [23:12:8] <Rocket2DMn> bug triage is a step up from that
  98 
  99 [23:12:17] <Rocket2DMn> ill lead triage, but somebody else can do the basic into to LP
 100 
 101 [23:13:14] <nhandler> 2 sessions are enough for me. Maybe Vantrax or ajmorris would be interested
 102 
 103 [23:13:59] <nhandler> Changing the topic, I would like to discuss the direction that this FG will go in
 104 
 105 [23:14:29] <nhandler> From the looks of it, we have members that have a wide range of interests on LP
 106 
 107 [23:14:46] <nhandler> Should we focus on a particular section of LP? Or should we cover all of it?
 108 
 109 [23:15:57] <Rocket2DMn> for a basic course, just provide an introduction to areas that new users would end up using - Overview (user info, joining teams), bugs (filing and searching), Answers (asking, responding)
 110 
 111 [23:16:16] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I'm talking about this FG, not education courses
 112 
 113 [23:16:29] <Rocket2DMn> ah i thought you were talking about an LP class for education
 114 
 115 [23:16:48] <Rocket2DMn> i think this group should just be for anything on LP
 116 
 117 [23:16:59] <nhandler> jgoguen: What do you think?
 118 
 119 [23:17:7] <jgoguen> If the people have enough experience with the various areas that collectively all of LP can be covered, then it all should be covered
 120 
 121 [23:17:43] <Rocket2DMn> I think the members of this FG should do what they like on LP, and can draw from other members' skills if they want to expand their knowledge base
 122 
 123 [23:18:49] <nhandler> What do you guys think about having mentors/leaders in this FG for the different sections of LP?
 124 
 125 [23:19:1] <jgoguen> Probably a good idea
 126 
 127 [23:19:16] <Rocket2DMn> Do we have enough people to do that?
 128 
 129 [23:19:35] <Rocket2DMn> I wouldn't mind making a table on the FG page to track people's skills, but I wouldn't go so far as to introduce a mentor program
 130 
 131 [23:19:44] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: We really don't have enough members to do much of anything. We will need to do a lot of recruiting
 132 
 133 [23:20:14] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: It wouldn't be a real mentor program. The mentors/leaders would be in charge of determining what direction this FG would take in their respective sections
 134 
 135 [23:20:34] <nhandler> They would also help teach new users the basics (which is the mentoring part)
 136 
 137 [23:20:51] <Rocket2DMn> nhandler, I agree, hence just having a table of skills should be enough.  If somebody wants to learn something new, they just ask somebody with those skills
 138 
 139 [23:21:32] <Rocket2DMn> you can grade skill level with like "none, low, moderate, high, expert"
 140 
 141 [23:22:43] <nhandler> I'm even fine with just listing areas of interest and designating whether or not you feel you are capable of teaching new users about that area
 142 
 143 [23:23:12] <Rocket2DMn> I think we're after the same goal here :)
 144 
 145 [23:23:21] <nhandler> But before we can really do anything, we need more members
 146 
 147 [23:23:53] <Rocket2DMn> You want me to make that table on the LP FG page, and if you dont like it you can delete it?
 148 
 149 [23:24:1] <nhandler> I'll send out an email to the other members of the team on LP and try to determine if they are still interested in the team and just couldn't make the meeting, or if they have lost interest
 150 
 151 [23:24:12] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: Go for it :)
 152 
 153 [23:24:43] <nhandler> I think we should also try to pull some other BT members into the FG
 154 
 155 [23:24:50] <Rocket2DMn> Ok, maybe for keeping people involved, set a short expiration time on the LP fg membership, and if they prove to be dedicated, you can extend it for a longer period of time
 156 
 157 [23:25:20] <Rocket2DMn> LP is probably the best way to track FG members, maintaining a wiki page of members doesnt seem to work well
 158 
 159 [23:25:23] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I think I have the expiration currently set to 1/2 a year (like the real BT)
 160 
 161 [23:25:38] <Rocket2DMn> yeah, maybe something like 2 months would be better for starters :)
 162 
 163 [23:26:5] <nhandler> I can change that. Also, if anyone is willing to create a small icon for the LP team, that would be great
 164 
 165 [23:26:24] <nhandler> That way, I could easily identify FG members on LP using the Greasemonkey script
 166 
 167 [23:28:9] <nhandler> Is there anything any of you guys would like to discuss?
 168 
 169 [23:28:36] <Rocket2DMn> not at this time
 170 
 171 [23:28:46] <nhandler> jgoguen: How about you?
 172 
 173 [23:28:58] <jgoguen> nothing for me
 174 
 175 [23:29:11] <jgoguen> I'm looking for the BT avatar overlay for a possible LP icon though
 176 
 177 [23:29:31] <nhandler> jgoguen: I can hunt that down later
 178 
 179 [23:29:37] <nhandler> Ok, so the current plan is to work on recruiting new members and to get some classroom sessions going
 180 
 181 [23:29:54] <nhandler> What about meetings? When do you want to meet again?
 182 
 183 [23:30:9] <nhandler> I was thinking about a monthly meeting
 184 
 185 [23:30:30] <Rocket2DMn> let's see where we are in a few weeks and decide if we want another meeting
 186 
 187 [23:31:9] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: I would prefer to get a meeting scheduled. We can always cancel it if we have no need for it
 188 
 189 [23:31:24] <Rocket2DMn> ok, if you want
 190 
 191 [23:31:38] <Rocket2DMn> This time of day works for me, Mon-Thu is best
 192 
 193 [23:32:5] <nhandler> I'm going to try and use Doodle to schedule this meeting
 194 
 195 [23:32:28] <nhandler> For those of you who haven't used it, you list a selection of dates and times. Each user can then specify what times work for them.
 196 
 197 [23:33:36] <nhandler> jgoguen: What days work for you?
 198 
 199 [23:34:6] <Rocket2DMn> Doodle?  Why not use gcal?
 200 
 201 [23:34:21] <jgoguen> I have class Wednesday nights from 7:00pm to 9:45pm UTC-3 but most of the time any other night is good
 202 
 203 [23:34:50] <nhandler> Rocket2DMn: The final meeting time will go on the gcal. Doodle is to help choose the meeting date/time
 204 
 205 [23:35:2] <Rocket2DMn> ok, cool
 206 
 207 [23:36:1] <Rocket2DMn> i added that table to the page, it could probably be expanded on though (for instance, break down skills further)
 208 
 209 [23:36:23] <nhandler> Thanks a lot Rocket2DMn
 210 
 211 [23:38:5] <nhandler> If there is nothing else to discuss, I see no reason why we can't end the meeting early
 212 
 213 [23:38:14] <Rocket2DMn> +1
 214 
 215 [23:38:15] <nhandler> I'll send the Doodle link to the mailing list when I am done
 216 
 217 [23:38:36] <nhandler> jgoguen: Any last comments?
 218 
 219 [23:38:40] <Rocket2DMn> cool, thanks for organizing
 220 
 221 [23:38:55] <jgoguen> nope...just waiting for the Doodle link
 222 
 223 [23:39:40] <nhandler> http://www.doodle.com/d8qrhzzkg93s2muy
 224 
 225 [23:39:45] <nhandler> Ok, meeting over


CategoryBeginnersTeam

BeginnersTeam/Meetings/LaunchpadFG/20090311 (last edited 2009-07-01 19:19:20 by 99-21-107-94)