converted to 1.6 markup
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|== Sunday, August 26th, 2007, 7:00pm (1900) PDT ==
=== Summary ===
|Sunday, August 26th, 2007, 7:00pm (1900) PDT
== Summary ==
|Line 14:||Line 15:|
|=== Agenda ===
||== Agenda ==|
|Line 26:||Line 26:|
|=== Logs ===||== Logs ==|
Sunday, August 26th, 2007, 7:00pm (1900) PDT
- Team Map
- Case Badge Stuff
Money has been sent in, anyone that wants to help donate to the team, contact Flannel
- IRC Parties.
- Money needs to be in before the 31st or else order will be canceled.
- IRC Parties.
If you have anything else you'd like to add to the agenda, or want to make some changes, please feel free to edit it.
Hope to see you there!
19:00 < Yasumoto> alrighty, it's 7:00, so I say we get going, if everyone's alright with that? 19:01 < bmathis> im ready... Yasumoto: are you logging? 19:01 < sn9> as long as there's some going to get 19:01 < Yasumoto> yep 19:01 < cactaur4> bmathis: What Yasumoto does in the privacy of his bathroom is none of your businesss! 19:01 < groundferret> Sure. 19:01 < Yasumoto> bmathis: if you want to also, just in case, that'd be cool 19:01 < Yasumoto> cactaur4: hey! you said we'd keep that between us 19:01 < bmathis> Logging is turned on 19:02 < Yasumoto> Alright 19:02 < bmathis> Cactaur4: haha 19:02 < Yasumoto> so the agenda is: 19:02 < groundferret> ... 19:02 < sn9> non-euclidean logging? 19:02 < Yasumoto> Agenda 19:02 < Yasumoto> 1. 19:02 < Yasumoto> Team Map 19:02 < Yasumoto> 2. 19:02 < Yasumoto> Badge Stuff 19:02 < Yasumoto> * 19:02 < Yasumoto> Money needs to be in before the 31st or else order will be canceled. 19:02 < Yasumoto> 3. 19:02 < Yasumoto> Branding 19:02 < Yasumoto> 4. 19:02 < Yasumoto> IRC Parties. 19:02 < cactaur4> w00t! 19:03 < sn9> go, go, gadget-paste! 19:03 < Yasumoto> haha, yeah 19:03 < groundferret> Ok then. The team map is up. 19:03 < Yasumoto> take a look here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/07August26 19:03 < Yasumoto> if you want to follow along (with links :D ) 19:03 < Yasumoto> anyone have anything they want to say before we get started? 19:04 < bmathis> nope... lets role 19:04 < Yasumoto> sweet 19:04 < Yasumoto> so, first and foremost 19:04 < Yasumoto> we've got the Team Map 19:05 < Yasumoto> I think it's pretty important, especially considering how large California is 19:05 < AlgorthmicContro> Hmm...cool, how do I join it? 19:05 < Yasumoto> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Members 19:05 < Yasumoto> just follow the pattern, and you'll be up with everyone 19:05 < AlgorthmicContro> I know, so just edit page? 19:05 < Yasumoto> yep 19:05 < AlgorthmicContro> I see, go on 19:06 < cactaur4> I'd like to congratulate the Map people. 19:06 < sn9> why is there a member list both on the wiki and on launchpad, with no sync? 19:06 < Yasumoto> yeah, big thanks to mthaddon (who isn't here right now) for getting the google maps side of things working 19:06 < Yasumoto> sn9: once mthaddon gets the source out, we're going to see about putting everything together 19:07 < sn9> The Source? 19:07 < Yasumoto> the code he uses for making the map work 19:07 < sn9> oh 19:08 < Yasumoto> but I don't think people put their zip codes on there 19:08 < Yasumoto> and some people may not want to be put on the map 19:08 < Yasumoto> if people want to put themselves up there, it's pretty simple so far 19:09 < cactaur4> yeah, I agree 19:09 < Yasumoto> so if no one has any other questions about the map, we can move on? 19:09 < cactaur4> I'm fine. 19:09 < AlgorthmicContro> I do 19:10 < bmathis> theres always one that does ;) 19:10 < AlgorthmicContro> So If I wanted to place myself on the map, I'd write mapdetails:username||Zipcode|| ?after I put myself up on teammap? 19:11 < Yasumoto> (mapdetails:Name||ZipCode||Comment) 19:11 < adaminla> anyone here yet? 19:11 < Yasumoto> heya adaminla 19:12 < AlgorthmicContro> Yasumoto: Gotcha, thanks. 19:12 < adaminla> howdy 19:12 < Yasumoto> see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/07August26 19:12 < Yasumoto> for the agenda for tonight 19:12 < adaminla> k 19:12 < Yasumoto> AlgorthmicContro: you're good? 19:13 < Yasumoto> okay 19:13 < Yasumoto> so next we have the badges 19:13 < cactaur4> I have a feeling this is going to take up the most time. 19:14 < adaminla> I missed the last meeting. What are the badges? 19:14 < Yasumoto> so the massachusetts LoCo team 19:14 < cactaur4> adaminla: They're basically aluminum stickers that say "Powered by Ubuntu". And we have an opportunity to buy some in bulk. 19:14 < Yasumoto> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MassachusettsTeam/Projects/AluminiumCaseBadgesCase 19:15 < Yasumoto> So far we've got three people donating 19:15 < adaminla> Cool. What are the details? 19:15 < Yasumoto> we're getting 300 badges for the team 19:15 < adaminla> for how much? 19:15 < Yasumoto> which comes out to $72 19:16 < Yasumoto> we're planning on selling these for about $1 at events that we put on 19:16 < Yasumoto> which will hopefully be a good fundraiser for the team 19:16 < adaminla> cool 19:16 < sn9> there are going to be events? 19:16 < cactaur4> sn9: Hopefully, if things start looking good for us. 19:16 < Yasumoto> yeah 19:17 < Yasumoto> I think it's really going to depend on people setting things up in their area 19:17 < Yasumoto> like I want to set up a Gutsy release/install party 19:17 < adaminla> In feb there's the so cal linux gig\ 19:18 < Yasumoto> yeah, I want us to have a presence there too 19:18 < Yasumoto> so we'll see 19:18 < adaminla> how much do we have raisrd do far? 19:18 < Yasumoto> so if anyone can donate to help us out, just add yourself to the wiki and send an email to the list 19:18 < Yasumoto> bmathis is donating $20, I've got $10, and Flannel's covering the rest 19:19 < adaminla> I can put in $20 also 19:19 < cactaur4> So, are we doing the thing where we get a badge for every $1 we donate? 19:19 < Yasumoto> adaminla: that'd be really sweet :) 19:20 < bmathis> im the bestest! 19:20 < Yasumoto> cactaur4: yeah, it'll probably be something like that 19:20 < Yasumoto> bmathis: *high five* :) 19:20 < cactaur4> awesome 19:21 < AlgorthmicContro> sweet 19:21 < adaminla> how do i donate the money? 19:21 < Yasumoto> I just think it's a great example of things getting done when people just do things 19:21 < cactaur4> That's the next thing. 19:21 < Yasumoto> adaminla: I'll talk to you about that in a bit (check or mail order) 19:21 < cactaur4> Yasumoto: Oh, we have that straightened out? 19:22 < AlgorthmicContro> Yeah, could we do money orders? 19:22 < Yasumoto> cactaur4: yeah, we're going to send them in to Flannel 19:22 < Yasumoto> and then he'll send them out 19:22 < AlgorthmicContro> So to....Flannel's address? 19:22 < Yasumoto> yeah, if you want to donate, send him an email 19:22 < Yasumoto> and he'll give you his address 19:22 < cactaur4> Shouldn't we kinda put that on the wiki? It's a little important. 19:23 < Yasumoto> yeah, sorry 19:23 < Yasumoto> I'll fix it after the meeting 19:23 < cactaur4> ok, cool 19:23 < Yasumoto> (or someone can do it now :D ) 19:23 < cactaur4> I'll do it. 19:23 < Yasumoto> cactaur4++ 19:23 < Yasumoto> (does that make you cactaur5?) 19:23 < bmathis> haha 19:23 < Yasumoto> so basically 19:23 < Yasumoto> if you're interested in helping out the team, check out the wiki page 19:24 < Yasumoto> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam 19:24 < Yasumoto> scroll down to "Headlines and ToDo" 19:24 < Yasumoto> and add yourself to the list :) 19:24 < Yasumoto> any other questions about case badges? 19:25 < bmathis> nope 19:25 < cactaur4> Just to make sure, Flannel's e-mail is neal (at) busset (dot) com, correct. (Hiding because this is being logged). 19:25 < cactaur4> ? 19:25 < Yasumoto> lemme check 19:25 < Yasumoto> yeah 19:26 < Yasumoto> wait 19:26 < Yasumoto> neal (at) bussett (d0t) com 19:26 < Yasumoto> (two t's) 19:26 < cactaur4> or, I can just point it to his wiki, and people could figure it out from there 19:26 < sn9> neal, not neil? 19:27 < cactaur4> That way, his e-mail won't be on the internet more than necessary. And I won't be held responsible for any misspellings. 19:27 < cactaur4> I'll do that. 19:28 < Yasumoto> yeah, for sure 19:28 < Yasumoto> sn9: neal 19:28 < Yasumoto> okay, let's move on to branding 19:29 < Yasumoto> So a lot of teams 19:29 < Yasumoto> have really sweet logos and such 19:30 < Yasumoto> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MassachusettsTeam 19:30 < Yasumoto> is a quick example 19:30 < Yasumoto> and I really like https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArizonaTeam 19:30 < Yasumoto> I have some graphic design experience 19:31 < bmathis> we can make one that says Calibuntu 19:31 < sn9> how about a state-of-CA going through the doughnut hole of the ubuntu logo? 19:31 < Yasumoto> but that's pretty much with adobe photoshop/illustrator 19:31 < Yasumoto> and I think we have way more talented people that could make something amazing 19:31 < cactaur4> I think it would be awesome of Arnold was on it. 19:31 < Yasumoto> haha 19:31 < cactaur4> And terminating something. 19:31 < sn9> we'd need his permission for that 19:32 < cactaur4> oh, never mind then. 19:32 < Yasumoto> mm, yeah, we would 19:32 < bmathis> ill give him a call and see what he says 19:32 < Yasumoto> well if someone whips one up, I'll write the email to him :) 19:32 < Yasumoto> haha 19:32 < Yasumoto> bmathis: alright, you win :D 19:32 < cactaur4> I will too! 19:33 < Yasumoto> haha 19:33 < bmathis> schwarzy didnt answer 19:33 < Yasumoto> so this is kind of the thing where it'd be cool to have a few people whip up a few designs 19:33 < Yasumoto> even if you're not that talented, maybe sketch something out really quick 19:34 < Yasumoto> and then work with someone that knows an image editing program to make it slick 19:34 < cactaur4> Or learn how to use GIMP, either way. 19:34 < Yasumoto> yeah, exactly 19:34 < Yasumoto> and also, it might be cool to have a motto or slogan that we can use 19:34 < sn9> kubuntu people could use krita 19:35 < Yasumoto> sn9: yeah, good call 19:36 < Yasumoto> so anyways 19:36 < cactaur4> Hooray for free software! 19:37 < Yasumoto> if someone wants to start up a page on the wiki 19:37 < Yasumoto> or a thread on the forum 19:37 < Yasumoto> we can keep everything in one place 19:37 < Yasumoto> does anyone want to work on heading up our "Logo Contest!!!"? 19:37 < Yasumoto> (feel free to change the name) 19:38 < bmathis> maybe post the designs on the wiki and then a poll on the forums for the best one? 19:38 < cactaur4> makes sense 19:38 < bmathis> of course i does 19:38 < bmathis> :) 19:38 < Yasumoto> bmathis: that's a good idea 19:38 < bmathis> thanks! 19:39 < Yasumoto> I think there was some concern about spreading it out into too many places though 19:39 < AlgorthmicContro> I another hooray for bmathis 19:39 < AlgorthmicContro> :) 19:39 < Yasumoto> but it'd be a good way to display everything 19:39 < bmathis> yeah, but you cant have a poll on the wiki page and we havent merged launchpad with anything else, so it seems like a viable solution until then 19:40 < Yasumoto> bmathis: point taken 19:40 < bmathis> i rock! 19:40 < Yasumoto> haha 19:40 < Yasumoto> *high five* 19:40 < cactaur4> I roll 19:40 < bmathis> haha 19:41 < Yasumoto> so to summarize everything: 19:41 < Yasumoto> We need a logo 19:41 < Yasumoto> people'll hopefully sketch something out 19:41 < Yasumoto> (even if it has ... arnold...) 19:42 < cactaur4> ESPECIALLY if it has Arnold 19:42 < Yasumoto> yes cactaur4 ... 19:42 < cactaur4> ok, go on 19:42 < Yasumoto> and then we'll work on voting/improving a design 19:42 < Yasumoto> maybe even combining ideas from a few 19:42 < Yasumoto> and then we can do a buncha cool stuff 19:42 < cactaur4> Should the art be under a GPL? 19:43 < Yasumoto> hm 19:43 < Yasumoto> I don't really know much about licensing 19:43 < bmathis> maybe creative commons 19:43 < Yasumoto> but yeah, something like that 19:43 < cactaur4> yeah, that makes more sense. 19:44 < bmathis> im on a roll tonite 19:44 < Yasumoto> any other comments about branding? 19:44 < sn9> a barrel roll? 19:45 < bmathis> umm... any roll thats a good roll! 19:45 < bmathis> nope... movin on 19:45 < Yasumoto> cactaur4: I turn the floor over to you 19:45 < cactaur4> w00t 19:45 < Yasumoto> for the last topic on the agenda 19:45 < cactaur4> Ok, the last topic, IRC Parties! 19:46 < cactaur4> I think they'll be a good idea at spreading the community part of the LoCo team. 19:46 < sn9> irc is a limited part of the community 19:47 < cactaur4> yeah, but I think having certain parties would be good for bringing in other parts of the community for a short time. 19:47 < cactaur4> They may not be like some of us who stay on IRC for hours at a time. 19:47 < cactaur4> And we can advertise them on the forums, the wiki, wherever else. 19:47 < sn9> that does not counter irc's negative reputation 19:48 < cactaur4> sn9: Which is? 19:48 < sn9> hmm? 19:48 < cactaur4> What is IRC's negative reputation? 19:49 < Yasumoto> it's difficult to use 19:49 < Yasumoto> (one of the criticisms) 19:49 < cactaur4> well, like I'm doing right now, there's a applet which lets you connect. 19:49 < sn9> internet for $400, alex 19:49 < cactaur4> You don't have to download a whole client. 19:50 < sn9> right. i put a java chat on svlug.org, for example 19:50 < cactaur4> yeah 19:51 < cactaur4> And it'll be super casual. We could even have people stream online radio to mimic the music that goes on in a real party. 19:51 < sn9> stream over irc? 19:51 < cactaur4> well, we could put an address to it in the topic bar. 19:51 < sn9> ok... 19:52 < adaminla> xchat works well and is easy to instal lfrom Apps. add remove 19:52 < sn9> yes, but too easily confused with xchat-gnome 19:52 < cactaur4> Yeah, and some people may like IRC and choose to stay. 19:53 < cactaur4> People who never really used it before. 19:53 < sn9> people not yet on ubuntu could go to http://b0at.tx0.org/xchat 19:53 < AlgorthmicContro> cactaur4: I like the idea about mincing music 19:53 < AlgorthmicContro> party music* 19:54 < adaminla> get dowwwwn 19:54 < cactaur4> So, any questions about parties? 19:54 < adaminla> is? 19:55 < cactaur4> is what? 19:55 < adaminla> I think if we can work out how to do it it would be a good way to spread the word. 19:56 < Yasumoto> it reminds me of the #ubuntu-us meet n' greet a few weeks ago 19:57 < cactaur4> Yeah, but we'll cut out the other 49 states for now. 19:57 < Yasumoto> haha, yeah 19:57 < Yasumoto> and it might help people that may not be able to make the meetings still get involved 19:58 < cactaur4> yeah 19:58 < cactaur4> Plus, it could get your friends on IRC! 19:58 < cactaur4> and maybe even on Ubuntu! 19:58 < adaminla> are most of the folks in here tonight in so cal or no cal? 19:58 < sn9> roll call! 19:58 < bmathis> central cali 19:58 < cactaur4> So Cal 19:59 < sn9> norcal 19:59 < Yasumoto> SoCal ftw 19:59 < adaminla> Long /Beach 19:59 < sn9> if there are no more votes, the socals have it 19:59 < cactaur4> w00t! 20:00 < cactaur4> Ok, any more questions about IRC parties? 20:00 < Yasumoto> good job team!! :D 20:00 < bmathis> i think im the only one in the central valley 20:00 < Yasumoto> cactaur4: if there's anything I can do to help, lemme know 20:00 < Yasumoto> otherwise, have fun :) 20:00 < cactaur4> awesome! 20:00 < Scunizi> so cal 20:00 < Yasumoto> Scunizi: yes! 20:00 < cactaur4> Ok, gotta dash now. 20:00 < cactaur4> See you all! 20:01 < Yasumoto> kk, later cactaur4 20:01 < Yasumoto> alright guys 20:01 < Yasumoto> anyone have anything else they want to bring up? 20:01 < Yasumoto> questions/comments? 20:01 < sn9> the sky is blue 20:02 < Yasumoto> alright cool 20:02 < Yasumoto> Don't forget to add yourself to the Team Map https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Members 20:02 < Yasumoto> and if you can, it'd be awesome if you could donate for the case badges 20:02 < adaminla> so i'll send flannel an e-mail and we'll move the badge thing forwaard. 20:02 < Yasumoto> yep 20:02 < sn9> i'm already on the launchpad page, so a sync to the wiki will bing me in anyway 20:03 < Yasumoto> yeah, gotcha 20:03 < sn9> *bring 20:03 < Yasumoto> but I think we'll still need your zip code 20:03 < sn9> 94127 20:03 < Yasumoto> kk, gotcha 20:03 < Yasumoto> alright guys, thanks for coming! 20:03 < Yasumoto> the #ubuntu-california meeting is now over at 20:03