Differences between revisions 5 and 6
added raw logs
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 6:||Line 6:|
|* Pretty self-explanatory.|
|Line 7:||Line 8:|
| * We'll probably prep about 200 CDs. We had around 120 given out last year.
* Edubuntu proved to be extremely popular.
|Line 8:||Line 11:|
|* We don't know if we need extras, or if last year's will suffice.|
|Line 9:||Line 13:|
| * Now with advertising for the LoCo!
* Maybe fit a "How to get help with Ubuntu" guide on them.
|Line 10:||Line 16:|
|* Some technical updates. If you know Python, there's still stuff to do.|
|Line 11:||Line 18:|
| * We plan to have small slide shows, with maybe a couple install demos.
* Booth Layout (not in agenda)
* We hope to be in the same booth as last year (Corner booth 31)
* Cheat Sheets (also not in agenda)
* MAYBE making cheat sheets for booth workers of common facts which would prove helpful for Ubuntu and Canonical.
Sunday, January 11th, 2009, 7:00pm (1900) PST
- Six weeks!
- Pretty self-explanatory.
- CDs - While we'll have everything available, what do we want as a sensible default?
- We'll probably prep about 200 CDs. We had around 120 given out last year.
- Edubuntu proved to be extremely popular.
- Business cards -- Do we need more? (depends on how we do sleeves)
- We don't know if we need extras, or if last year's will suffice.
- CD Sleeves? -- What to package CDs in
Now with advertising for the LoCo!
- Maybe fit a "How to get help with Ubuntu" guide on them.
- buntustand status update
- Some technical updates. If you know Python, there's still stuff to do.
- Presentations (at our booth)
- We plan to have small slide shows, with maybe a couple install demos.
- Booth Layout (not in agenda)
- We hope to be in the same booth as last year (Corner booth 31)
- Cheat Sheets (also not in agenda)
- MAYBE making cheat sheets for booth workers of common facts which would prove helpful for Ubuntu and Canonical.
- Six weeks!
19:06 < Flannel> Alright. Welcome everyone to our first meeting of 2009. Hope you all had a wonderful holiday. 19:06 < lcafiero> +1 19:06 < AlgorithmicContr> ++ 19:06 < Flannel> Our agenda so far consists of lots of things for SCaLE. 19:07 < Flannel> Does anyone have any non-scale things to add to our agenda before we jump right in? 19:07 < Flannel> I would like to mention that our very own erichammond is now an official Ubuntu member. 19:07 < nhaines> Congratulations, Eric! :D 19:08 < Flannel> You can read all about him in this week's (well, last weeks) UWN. I'll spare you all the details, and try not to embarass him further ;) 19:09 < Flannel> So, with that. We're on to SCaLE planning. 19:09 < Flannel> SCaLE is in a short six weeks (from this weekend). It's Feb 20-22, in Los Angeles. 19:09 < Flannel> We've got a booth there, it's a lot of fun, and nhaines is even giving a presentation. 19:10 < Flannel> Our subtopics (so far) consist of the following: CD selection, Business Cards, CD Sleeves, Presentations, buntustand status update 19:11 < Flannel> We can do most of them in any order. Does anyone have any preference what we discuss first? (Or anything else to add?) 19:11 < nhaines> Booth layout? 19:11 < Flannel> Sounds good. 19:12 < Flannel> Also, before we get into details, we've got a SCaLE page here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/Scale7x 19:12 < Flannel> Which mentions all the stuff we're hoping to have (although I may have forgotten something) 19:12 < Flannel> Be sure to check it out, fill in anything you can provide (for one day, or the whole weekend), and add anything that we may have overlooked so far. 19:13 < Flannel> For those of you providing computers and stuff. We won't be leaving them at the booth overnight. 19:13 < Flannel> I'll either be taking them home with me, or we may have another resource thats only a few miles away, that we could possibly use. 19:14 < jbermudes> Flannel: should the wiki be a place to register what people intent to contribute? 19:14 < Flannel> If anyone else has concerns about volunteering stuffs, feel free to voice them. 19:14 < nhaines> jbermudes: yes 19:14 < Flannel> jbermudes: Yeah 19:15 < Flannel> And also, if you intend to help man the booth (and what times you're available) 19:15 < a1len> I would like to, but this economy is relentless. 19:16 < Flannel> Depending on how many people volunteer, we may be able to get everyone free admission to the Expo. I don't know how that's working out as far as specifics yet though. 19:16 < Flannel> and you will get a chance to peruse other booths; we won't chain you to a table. 19:16 < Flannel> nhaines: Anything I forgot about those things? 19:16 < nhaines> Last year we had name badges for everyone, too. I'll need a new printer but we can do that again. 19:17 < Flannel> Oh yeah. You'll get a spiffy nametag. 19:17 < nhaines> Everyone's welcome to hang out and help attendees, but the rule for name badges was: sign the CoC and be a member of our Launchpad team. 19:17 < nhaines> Oh yeah, and if you don't print your own, tell me so I print one. ;) 19:18 < Flannel> It's also a good chance to come out and meet the rest of the California people, and we'll likely have people able to sign keys too. 19:18 < AlgorithmicContr> I still have my name tag! 19:18 < AlgorithmicContr> ....I hope 19:18 < Flannel> Also, if anyone's actually worried about it, we'll be able to provide you with all the info you need to talk to people. 19:19 < Flannel> So, very little previous technical knowledge is necessary (if any) 19:19 < Flannel> Anyway, I think that's enough pitching... on to subtopics. 19:19 < Flannel> Lets... do presentations first. since that may influence booth layout. 19:21 < Flannel> We're considering doing some presentations at our booth at various times throughout the expo 19:21 < Flannel> Maybe three or four times during the day, we do a larger demo on something. Whether it'd be walking through an actual install, a wubi install, or something like that. 19:22 < Flannel> erichammond was interested in showing an entire Ubuntu on EC2 install 19:22 < Flannel> These would be things that you'd show to a group, we'd put them up on a big monitor or something and they'd be more substantial than just playing with demo computers. 19:22 < Flannel> Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? 19:23 < nhaines> I think this could be a good draw to our booth. 19:24 < troyready> I would agree; sounds neat 19:24 < nhaines> I also think this would be a good opportunity if anyone wants some presentation experience. 19:24 < Flannel> I worry about getting too many people, and causing a disruption in the aisles. 19:24 < Flannel> Depending on where our booth is that may not be an issue. 19:24 < Flannel> That's my only reservation though. Being a bad SCaLE citizen ;) 19:25 < nhaines> Any suggestions for topics? 19:25 < nhaines> Any volunteers? ;) 19:26 < Flannel> Maybe we ought to ask the list. I think cactaur may be interested. 19:26 < Flannel> Anyone have any comments on feasibility? 19:26 < Flannel> would *you* watch something like that? 19:27 < Flannel> Alright. Off to the list it is. 19:28 < Flannel> So, next topic. Booth layout. 19:29 < nhaines> I liked last year's layout. 19:29 < nhaines> We'll have to think of how to stage things so that the presentations don't disrupt traffic. 19:30 < Flannel> http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanhaines/2353642188/sizes/l/in/photostream/ 19:30 < nhaines> Oh yes, the public record. :) 19:30 < Flannel> That was last year's layout. (This is what the vanilla booth is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanhaines/2352795261/sizes/l/ ) 19:31 < AlgorithmicContr> Do we still have the same spot? 19:31 < nhaines> We were gunning for it but I don't know if we got it. 19:31 < Flannel> AlgorithmicContr: We're hoping to get a corner spot, I don't know if they've picked booths yet. 19:32 < jbermudes> i guess the number of presentations happening depends on if we get that corner piece 19:32 < nhaines> Maybe if we do a presentation on the red table, and still use the yellow table for casual passers-by. 19:33 < Flannel> jbermudes: We've got a lot vested in getting a corner booth. 19:34 < Flannel> nhaines: I don't think we can really settle on a layout until we know where we're going to be in the hall. 19:34 < Flannel> So, lets table that. 19:34 < nhaines> Flannel: I'll see if Joe knows. 19:35 < Flannel> Actually, 19:35 < nhaines> He's unavailable. 19:35 < Flannel> the website says booth 31 19:35 < nhaines> Oh? 19:35 < Flannel> http://scale7x.socallinuxexpo.org/dotorg/ubuntu 19:35 < Flannel> very bottom... no idea if that's stale. 19:36 < Flannel> and I have no idea where a new map is either 19:36 < AlgorithmicContr> Let's hope it isn't just old content from 6x? 19:36 < nhaines> I don't see a new map. 19:36 < Flannel> AlgorithmicContr: I don't recall seeing that announced on 6x 19:37 < AlgorithmicContr> me neither, so I'm curious too 19:37 < nhaines> AlgorithmicContr: it isn't. They were working pretty hard. 19:37 < AlgorithmicContr> oh 19:37 < nhaines> We were booth 31 last year, though. 19:39 < Flannel> nhaines: Did you get in touch with Joe? 19:40 < nhaines> Flannel: he wasn't available. 19:40 < jbermudes> Flannel: i'd be willing to do one of those presentation thingies like how it install, etc. 19:41 < Flannel> I can't see them renumbering booths, so I imagine we're in the same one. 19:43 < AlgorithmicContr> I'm also considering a presentation, but I don't have a complete idea yet 19:43 < AlgorithmicContr> maybe a how-to tutorial 19:43 < Flannel> I think the presentation thing is first going to be a list of topics, then people can volunteer to give them (with help!) 19:44 < Flannel> So, come up with topics. 19:44 < Flannel> I think that'd be the best way to do it anyway. 19:44 < Flannel> Thoughts? 19:44 < AlgorithmicContr> mostly rudimentary topics? 19:44 < AlgorithmicContr> or some advance stuff 19:44 < jbermudes> ooh! yasumoto and I could do a games under wine thing? portal and all that good stuff 19:44 < nhaines> I'd say beginning to intermediate is probably best. 19:45 < nhaines> There seemed to be a lot of beginners last year and they added a Beginner's Track this year. 19:45 < Flannel> The idea is to show people how easy Ubuntu is, 19:45 < Flannel> so, very much beginner stuff. 19:46 < Flannel> I would think. That's why I suggested wubi. Since you can try without repartitioning. 19:46 < jbermudes> maybe something that shows things that are crazy hard in windows but is a snap in ubuntu? 19:46 < Flannel> Whether the people themselves are beginning, or want to be able to suggest to their friends/whatever 19:47 < AlgorithmicContr> how about short how-to's on request? 19:47 < Flannel> AlgorithmicContr: well, we do those throughout the day. 19:47 < nhaines> Wubi's very simple, though. That might be hard to demonstrate. 19:47 < Flannel> These would be larger.. maybe 10-15 minute ones or something. I don't know. 19:47 < Flannel> Something you couldn't show [every person] who walked by as they were asking questions 19:48 < Flannel> I know one thing I found interesting last year is how much it didn't feel like we were "preaching to the choir" 19:48 < Flannel> (SCaLE does have Linux in the name, afterall) 19:48 * jbermudes imagines like when you're at a trade show and someone's trying to demo one of those fancy cooking gadgets to a crowd 19:49 < Flannel> Except they run those more or less constantly 19:49 < jbermudes> right 19:49 < Flannel> Anyway, I think yes. Maybe doing presentations on the otherwise looping slideshow monitor would be good. 19:50 < nhaines> Indeed. 19:50 < Flannel> I look forward to hearing all the wonderful ideas for topics. 19:50 < Flannel> Brainstorm, and submit (to the mailing list) all your good(and even marginal) ideas 19:50 < nhaines> I think we can look to the Ubuntu graphical tour on ubuntu.com for details. 19:50 < nhaines> Err, inspiration I mean. 19:50 < Flannel> Since even my bad ideas for topics (and I have a few horrible ones) may spur someone else to come up with a good one. 19:51 < Flannel> Since we're already an hour in, I'm going to force us to move on though. 19:51 < mib_7fb92a> how about reprints of this? http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/11/business/11ubuntu.html?em 19:51 < Flannel> nhaines: Lets do a 'stand update, since the sleeves/cards stuff can wait or move to the list entirely. 19:51 < Flannel> Oh yeah, I meant to mention that. 19:52 < Flannel> Thanks mib_7fb92a 19:52 < nhaines> That's one nice article. 19:54 < AlgorithmicContr> awesome article, thanks mib_7fb92a 19:54 < Flannel> Speaking of that, nhaines, you mentioned cheat sheets the other day. Was that for booth workers? or for handing out? 19:55 < nhaines> It was for booth workers. 19:55 < Flannel> nhaines: With what sorts of stuff on them? 19:55 < mib_7fb92a> very welcome. hard to find a more forceful , yet neutral & impartial, argument to push the procrastinator over the decision 19:55 < nhaines> So that people are more confident/informed about various topics. 19:56 < Flannel> nhaines: so, like a FAQ? or what? 19:56 < AlgorithmicContr> nhaines: I remember someone asked me what the name behind Ubuntu meant, I felt embarrassed because I couldn't coherently explain it 19:57 < AlgorithmicContr> that kind of stuff? What Ubuntu is all about? 19:57 < nhaines> Sure. 19:57 < nhaines> Flannel: more like a quick callout sheet. 19:57 < jbermudes> i guess maybe coherent explanations in case your mind goes blank and you dont want to ramble 19:57 < nhaines> As an example off the top of my head, what's new in Jaunty? 19:57 * Flannel is never shy about rambling. 19:57 < nhaines> * Faster boot times 19:58 < Flannel> Ah, and LTS vs non 19:58 < nhaines> * Integration with Web applications 19:58 < nhaines> * Per-application volume settings 19:58 < nhaines> Little things like that. 19:58 < AlgorithmicContr> Flannel could cover that! 19:58 < nhaines> We can have a Cannonical one, an Ubuntu one. 19:59 < nhaines> AlgorithmicContr: we want people to be able to say what Ubuntu means, even if they have to read it. :) 19:59 < AlgorithmicContr> Flannel: LTS vs non, I mean 19:59 < nhaines> They can also be used as study guides before the expo. 19:59 < nhaines> We should have a Free Software one... 20:00 < Flannel> Alright. 20:00 < AlgorithmicContr> and a general linux one? 20:00 < nhaines> So think of things you wish you'd known last time. I'll help write those up. 20:00 < Flannel> How do you think we should best handle their creation? 20:00 < AlgorithmicContr> Some people come into the expo not even knowing what Linux is 20:00 < Flannel> wiki page? 20:00 < nhaines> Flannel: wiki page. 20:00 < AlgorithmicContr> wiki wiki! 20:00 < nhaines> Let's have sections for each one with lists of talking points. 20:00 < jbermudes> pizza pizza! 20:00 < AlgorithmicContr> jbermudes: hehe 20:00 < Flannel> nhaines: Separate from SCaLE, under projects? 20:00 < nhaines> They can either be suggested topics or list of factoids. 20:01 < nhaines> Flannel: these are good evangelizing tools, so let's make it a seperate project. 20:01 < Flannel> sounds good. 20:01 < AlgorithmicContr> We can always use LikeTotally as a cheatsheet 20:01 < AlgorithmicContr> hehe 20:01 < Flannel> AlgorithmicContr: Most of us don't have IRC integrated into our heads 20:02 < nhaines> In the future, I can write a Python script to grok the page and create PDFs. 20:02 < AlgorithmicContr> How many people are we expecting to be in the booth? 20:02 < AlgorithmicContr> last year we had um,... 20:02 < AlgorithmicContr> 5? 20:02 < Flannel> AlgorithmicContr: At one time? 4ish I suppose. 20:02 < Flannel> actually, we could do more 20:03 < AlgorithmicContr> we had 6? 20:03 < Flannel> One nice thing about our booth setup the way it is is there's no real "in" 20:03 < Flannel> We can have people sitting outside the side with the demo computers, and some inside doing buntustand stuff, and some out front talking to people 20:04 < Flannel> nhaines: I'm sure there's a MoinMoin to LaTeX converter out there. 20:04 < AlgorithmicContr> So who's coming down to make it? 20:04 < AlgorithmicContr> Just a rough count, I'm curious 20:04 < Flannel> AlgorithmicContr: We're still six weeks away, I don't know if many people have planned that far ahead. 20:05 < AlgorithmicContr> true 20:05 < Flannel> I know cactaur was talking about sort of carpooling with me, but he wan't sure. 20:05 < Flannel> AlgorithmicContr: We'll have a spot on the wiki for sign ups. Right now... who knows. 20:07 < Flannel> Alright.... so... lets skip business cards and sleeves for now. 20:08 < nhaines> Okay/ 20:08 * AlgorithmicContr was really impressed with nhaines's business cards. 20:08 < AlgorithmicContr> I thought they were professionally printed or something 20:08 < Flannel> AlgorithmicContr: Which business cards? 20:08 < nhaines> AlgorithmicContr: are those *my* cards or the LoCo ones? 20:09 < AlgorithmicContr> um 20:09 < AlgorithmicContr> the loco ones 20:09 < Flannel> They were professionally printed. 20:09 < AlgorithmicContr> ohhhhh 20:09 < nhaines> And they weren't mine, they were Seth's. :) 20:09 < Flannel> And the question is: do we need to get more printed for this year. 20:09 < nhaines> I have about a hundred left, give or take. 20:09 < AlgorithmicContr> ohhhh 20:09 < Flannel> I think I have a full box. 20:10 < Flannel> Or, more or less. I have no idea how much is in a box. 20:10 < nhaines> I think passing them out with each CD was wondefully optimistic, but I don't really see much of a return in extra numbers in this channel or on the ML. 20:10 < Flannel> But.... depending on what we do for sleeves, we may or may not need so many. 20:10 < nhaines> So I think we could just have them out for people on the table. 20:10 < nhaines> They still go quick, and our sleeves now advertise the LoCo. 20:10 < Flannel> nhaines: If the sleeves have all the info on them already, we don't need to pass them out regularly at all, no. 20:10 < nhaines> Flannel: my thoghts exactly. 20:11 < Flannel> Alright, so... we're not skipping sleeves/cards ;) 20:11 < AlgorithmicContr> sorry to interrupt, but a presentation on how to actually get to irc and to this channel would be most helpful I think 20:11 < nhaines> AlgorithmicContr: not sure that's a presentable topic. But Pidgin does it. 20:12 < jbermudes> maybe just a flyer? 20:12 < nhaines> AlgorithmicContr: so work on it more and get back to us. :) 20:12 < jbermudes> so they can take it home and connect? 20:12 < nhaines> jbermudes: that's always a good idea. 20:12 < Flannel> maybe we could work that into the sleeve. 20:12 < jbermudes> oh! what about "how to get help with ubuntu?" 20:12 < Flannel> hmm 20:12 < jbermudes> like showcase the forums, mailinglists, etc 20:12 < Flannel> yeah, that'd be doable... and like five to a page, just slice them up. 20:12 < AlgorithmicContr> nhaines: yep, but some new commmers never used IRC or even know what it is 20:12 < Flannel> Or maybe morein depth 20:13 < Flannel> Oh, jbermudes, you meant as a presentation? 20:13 * jbermudes is just throwing stuff on the wall and seeing what sticks 20:13 < nhaines> Interestingly enough, one of the articles I just wrote overviews some ways to get Ubuntu help. Fourms and LoCo teams made the list. 20:14 < Flannel> Also, the Forums were just voted #1.... way to get help... by something 20:14 < AlgorithmicContr> sweet 20:14 < AlgorithmicContr> they were? 20:14 < nhaines> Maybe as an extension of the callout sheet project we can do one to pass out that is "how to get help with Ubuntu" 20:14 < AlgorithmicContr> Flannel: I usually resort to forums last 20:15 < Flannel> AlgorithmicContr: Linux Format Magazine, beating google: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1035701 20:15 < AlgorithmicContr> the chain goes ubuntu documents/community stuffs> irc>forums>google 20:16 < AlgorithmicContr> nhaines: that's probably what I meant, hehe 20:16 < AlgorithmicContr> as a presentation idea 20:17 < Flannel> Not so sure it'd go over as a presentation in itself. 20:17 < nhaines> We mustn't forget Launchpad Answers. 20:18 < AlgorithmicContr> that too 20:18 < Flannel> Alright, so, business cards likely won't be needing printing assuming our sleeves have some info on them (and the How to get help handouts) 20:19 < Flannel> One issue that was raised with the current origami sleeves is them laying flat. I... think I solved that issue, but it makes them take longer to fold, and theyre much more difficult to fold. 20:20 < Flannel> I haven't found an easy way to fold them so they sit flat with a CD in them. 20:20 < Flannel> Is this a big issue do you think? 20:20 < nhaines> It's hard to say. I suppose we'll see. 20:21 < Flannel> nhaines: I figure we can put them in those boxes we got from canonical, and it won't matter if theyre flat 20:21 < nhaines> I want to get something organized to produce high-quality bulk CDs. 20:21 < Flannel> and in peoples bags it certainly doesn't matter. 20:21 < Flannel> nhaines: not for SCaLe ;) 20:21 < nhaines> Flannel: nope. ;) 20:21 < nhaines> Speaking of Canonical, who's doing the conference pack thing? 20:21 < Flannel> I've got it taken care of 20:22 < Flannel> How many CDs (and therefore approximate sleeves) do you think we'll need? 20:23 * Flannel knows we've gone over last year's number before... I think it was higher than 100, but lower than 200. 20:23 < nhaines> We passed out approximately 120 last year, so I thought we were preparing for 200? 20:23 < nhaines> I didn't check the logs for the records. I also think that was not including pressed CDs. 20:23 < Flannel> Are we preparing for 200? alright. That's what I need to know. 20:23 < Flannel> I know Frys has boxes of 100 CDs for like $12 20:24 < Flannel> But, the big issue is printing sleeves. 20:24 * Flannel is rambling. 20:24 < nhaines> I know that lots of Edubuntu CDs went out. We'll have to do addons this time. 20:24 < Flannel> Oh yeah. 20:25 < Flannel> Anyway, Lets move on to our last topic for tonight, which should go quickly. 20:25 < Flannel> buntustand update. 20:25 < nhaines> There haven't been. 20:25 < nhaines> Good night, folks! 20:25 < Flannel> hahah 20:25 < jbermudes> hahahha 20:25 < Flannel> There have been since the last meeting. 20:26 < nhaines> Seriously, we have a server and client framework. 20:26 < nhaines> And we have pywodim for burning, and buntulist for ISO enumeration. 20:26 < Flannel> For those of you who don't know (abbreviated version): buntustand is an automated distributed CD burning thing we're making for SCaLe, so we can burn on the fly, and hopefully keep up with demand. 20:26 < nhaines> So other than some protocol details, we're read to go at it. 20:27 < Flannel> If anyone's interested in helping... let us know! Its python. and a lot of the dirty work has been figured out, so fun stuff is still available! 20:27 < Flannel> I think that's it. 20:27 < nhaines> Oh yeah, https://launchpad.net/buntustand is where the fun's at. 20:28 < Flannel> Alright. Thank you all for coming. Watch your inboxes for mailing list updates about an assortment of things. See you all in two weeks! 20:28 < Flannel> That's the 25th 20:28 < jbermudes> yay 20:28 < jbermudes> thanks flannel! 20:28 < nhaines> Thanks, Flannel. 20:28 < Flannel> And, if anyone wants to take a crack at fixing the sleeve sitting flat issue, by all means... do so ;)