Sunday, January 29th, 2012, 7:00pm (1900) PT
SCALE10x wrap-up -- lyz 2012-01-29 18:17:58
If you have anything else you'd like to add to the agenda, or want to make some changes, please feel free to edit it. Please include an explanation of your item if it's not immediately apparent. Agenda items added within 24 hours of the start of the meeting may be postponed until the next meeting. Adding your item well in advance helps everyone collaborate and avoids last minute surprises.
Our meetings are held for about 60 minutes every other Sunday at 7:00pm (19:00) PST / 03:00 UTC in our IRC channel, #ubuntu-us-ca on freenode. All interested people are welcome to join us. For questions or help connecting, check out the InternetRelayChat page or use the Web client linked from the Contact page.
1 [03:01] <pleia2> who all is here for the meeting? :) 2 [03:01] <Ttech> Obviously me. 3 [03:01] <jtatum> o/ 4 [03:01] <pleia2> Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/12January29 5 [03:01] <Ttech> Your newest Ubuntu member. 6 [03:01] <Darkwing> yo 7 [03:01] * Ttech hides 8 [03:01] * eps nods 9 [03:02] <Darkwing> woot 10 [03:02] <pleia2> welcome Ttech :) 11 [03:02] * philipballew is here 12 [03:02] <pleia2> so our only agenda item: SCALE10x wrap-up 13 [03:02] <pleia2> Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pleia2/sets/72157629015857079/ 14 [03:02] <pleia2> my blog post: http://princessleia.com/journal/?p=5660 15 [03:03] <pleia2> philipballew's blog post: http://philipballew.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/fun-at-scale10x/ 16 [03:03] <Ttech> I have photos too. :/ 17 [03:03] <pleia2> awesome weekend \o/ 18 [03:03] <pleia2> Ttech: share! 19 [03:03] <pleia2> (for meeting logs :)) 20 [03:03] <Darkwing> it looked good. sorry i wasnt there at booth more 21 [03:03] <pleia2> Darkwing: thanks for bringing along all the booth stuff, the raffle was very fun :) 22 [03:04] <Ttech> My photos! http://j.mp/yaS1RC 23 [03:04] <akk> For the record, I agree on SCALE's awesomeness. :) 24 [03:04] <Darkwing> sweet! ill talk to oreally again for next year 25 [03:04] * philipballew still has free tshirts to wear 26 [03:04] <Ttech> I second akk statement. 27 [03:04] <Darkwing> lol 28 [03:05] <Ttech> philipballew, Still got tuxy? 29 [03:05] <pleia2> we gave out about 450 Ubuntu CDs, and 40 or so of Server and Kubuntu 30 [03:05] <Darkwing> phil, you made out on the t shirts 31 [03:05] <philipballew> sittin right above me 32 [03:05] <pleia2> so next year we'll definitely ask Canonical again for a shipment just for the conference :) 33 [03:05] <philipballew> total tshirt count was 24 34 [03:05] <Darkwing> yup 35 [03:05] <pleia2> anything we could have done better? 36 [03:06] <Ttech> Not sure, it was a pretty crazy booth 37 [03:06] <Ttech> but perhaps more updated stickers and magazines? (if you can manage that) 38 [03:06] <pleia2> yeah, we were pretty non-stop busy 39 [03:06] <Darkwing> bigger room for ubucon 40 [03:06] <eps> +1 41 [03:06] <pleia2> more stickers would be good, I think we had 20 sheets and even cut up into 3 pieces they went fast 42 [03:06] <philipballew> we could have got more peoples information maybe like by scanning them? 43 [03:07] <pleia2> we got updated magazines from the Ubuntu User folks later in the conference 44 [03:07] <pleia2> (we wanted to get rid of the old ones early on, that's why we had them :)) 45 [03:07] <Ttech> You guys don't even need to crazy QR scanners they had, just a cell phone or web cam. 46 [03:07] <jtatum> Wow 47 [03:07] <Darkwing> i think a better booth build would be good 48 [03:08] <pleia2> "better booth build"? 49 [03:08] <Darkwing> that table is wayyyyyy too full 50 [03:08] <Darkwing> more table space, 51 [03:08] <Darkwing> ill draft up a couple ideas 52 [03:08] <pleia2> cool 53 [03:09] <Ttech> I don't know if they allow it, but maybe two tables? 54 [03:09] <Darkwing> ill see what i can pull. :) 55 [03:09] <philipballew> The table had the right amount of stuff on it I felt, but Maybe a few ideas would never hurt 56 [03:09] <Ttech> If you guys snagged a second table - you could have people helping at one and the regular booth at the other 57 [03:10] <Ttech> It might really expand the horizon for Ubuntu + Ubuntu CA 58 [03:10] <Ttech> If you guys don't mind. I mean personally that is fun for me, but I'm not technically a member of either ubuntu or ubuntu ca (yet) 59 [03:10] <Darkwing> i have some crazy ideas 60 [03:10] <pleia2> I think we'd have to get some more volunteers if we did more debugging at the table 61 [03:10] <eps> Who chooses our location? Unlike most of the room, our entire row wasn't particularly well lit. I almost wish we had a bunch of LED tea lights. 62 [03:10] <pleia2> eps: we're assigned a spot by scale staff 63 [03:10] <Darkwing> eps ill see if i can fix that for next year 64 [03:11] <pleia2> I was really tired at the end of the weekend, only managed to get to a handful of talks, and we didn't offer debugging this year 65 [03:11] <Darkwing> i was drained after that too lol 66 [03:12] <pleia2> haha, did you sleep at all? :) 67 [03:12] <Darkwing> 4 hours for the weekend. thurs - mon 68 [03:12] <Darkwing> :D 69 [03:13] <pleia2> well, it was a great weekend, thanks to everyone who helped out at the booth, I think jbermudes was there more than anyone :) 70 [03:13] <Darkwing> aye 71 [03:13] <pleia2> anyone have anything else to discuss meeting-wise? announcements? thoughts? 72 [03:14] <Darkwing> one thing 73 [03:14] <pleia2> shoot 74 [03:14] <Darkwing> our state is hosting uds in may 75 [03:14] <jyo> Is it too early to think about UDS hap..exactly 76 [03:14] <Ttech> pleia2, If you need help next year, let me know btw. 77 [03:14] <pleia2> Ubuntu Developer Summit: http://uds.ubuntu.com/ 78 [03:14] <Darkwing> normally the loco has an event 79 [03:15] <eps> Any deadlines we need to be aware of? 80 [03:15] * philipballew reads 81 [03:15] <Darkwing> pizza night, movie night 82 [03:15] * Ttech reads as well 83 [03:15] <pleia2> eps: only if you intend to apply for travel and hotel sponsorship 84 [03:15] <Darkwing> we need to have a plan in place by march 10th 85 [03:15] <pleia2> details about that here: http://www.jonobacon.org/2012/01/27/ubuntu-developer-summit-sponsorship-now-open-3/ 86 [03:15] <Ttech> pleia2, You can get a sponsorship for that? 87 [03:15] <eps> Riiiight. They can pay for my BART ticket. ;-) 88 [03:15] <Darkwing> lol 89 [03:15] <Ttech> ah you read me mind 90 [03:15] <philipballew> get me some of that Oakland! 91 [03:15] <pleia2> Darkwing: march 10th? 92 [03:16] <jtatum> Publish helpful area maps and such? 93 [03:16] <philipballew> I can help with event planning pleia2. Just tell me what to do 94 [03:16] <Darkwing> yup. its so we can plan it for printing with uds 95 [03:16] <pleia2> wednesday night of UDS is usually a pretty free one 96 [03:16] <pleia2> Darkwing: printing with uds..? 97 [03:17] <philipballew> take them into the city? 98 [03:17] <Darkwing> on the badges again. 99 [03:17] <pleia2> Monday, Tuesday and Friday are busy, Thursday is team dinners 100 [03:17] <pleia2> Darkwing: ah, ok 101 [03:17] <Ttech> do you guys do logging for these meetings? I swore I saw it somewhere. 102 [03:17] <Darkwing> this way we have our plans setup. 103 [03:17] <pleia2> it can be as simple as "Ubuntu California Explore SF Night" ;) 104 [03:18] <pleia2> Ttech: yes, all channel logs are at irclogs.ubuntu.com and we put them on our meetings page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings 105 [03:18] <philipballew> We'll just need to find places with good late hours 106 [03:18] <pleia2> Darkwing: want to create a wiki page under Projects/ and start gathering some ideas? 107 [03:18] <Darkwing> anyway. ill post something to the ml and yes, ill do that too. 108 [03:18] <eps> Ubuntify Oakland! 109 [03:18] <pleia2> great, thanks :) 110 [03:19] <Ttech> that sounds like a party 111 [03:19] <Darkwing> yup yup 112 [03:19] <philipballew> paint the streets purple and orange!!! 113 [03:19] <pleia2> Linaro Connect is coming up soon: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us-ca/2012-January/001878.html 114 [03:19] <pleia2> they used to have it alongside UDS, but they've split it off 115 [03:19] <pleia2> it'll be in Redwood City Feb 6-10 116 [03:19] <Darkwing> it got too crazy 117 [03:19] <pleia2> I've been talking to some of the Ubuntu folks coming into town, they may want to do dinner :) 118 [03:20] <pleia2> I'll send a mail to the list when we have some more timing ieas 119 [03:20] <pleia2> ideas 120 [03:20] <pleia2> also have an SF Ubuntu Hour coming up on the 8th: http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-california/1514/detail/ 121 [03:20] <Darkwing> anyway, thats was my two bits for this meeting 122 [03:20] <eps> Is there a backup location in case The Roastery isn't available? 123 [03:21] <jyo> BA Debian dinner this month afterwards? 124 [03:21] <pleia2> eps: they put up a sign saying the closing at 6PM hours are only through January 30th 125 [03:21] <pleia2> so we should be good 126 [03:21] <pleia2> jyo: yep! 127 [03:22] <Darkwing> aaaaand, im off 128 [03:22] <pleia2> I think we can wrap up then 129 [03:22] * Darkwing waves 130 [03:22] <pleia2> thanks everyone :) 131 [03:22] * Ttech wobbles 132 [03:23] * philipballew dances 133 [03:23] <jtatum> Thanks all