Sunday, November 16th, 2014, 7:00pm (1900) PT

Original Agenda

  1. Add your item here

Our meetings are held every other Sunday at 7:00pm (19:00) PT / 03:00 UTC in our IRC channel, #ubuntu-us-ca on freenode. All interested people are welcome to join us. For questions or help connecting, check out the InternetRelayChat page or use the Web client linked from the Contact page.


   1 [03:00] <rww> #startmeeting
   2 [03:00] <darthrobot> Meeting started Mon Nov 17 03:00:15 2014 UTC.  The chair is rww. Information about MeetBot at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.
   3 [03:00] <darthrobot> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired
   4 [03:00] <rww> #topic Roll call
   5 [03:00] <rww> Raise your hands in the air
   6 [03:00] <rww> like you just don't care?
   7 [03:00] <rww> o/
   8 [03:00] <DonkeyHotei> [Sun 2014-11-16 05:04:05 PM PST] <DonkeyHotei> o/
   9 [03:00] <nhaines> _o/
  10 [03:00] <ianorlin> o/
  11 [03:00] <eps> o|
  12 [03:00] <elky> o/
  13 [03:01] <ianorlin> wait but I am left handed does that mean I should go \o
  14 [03:01] <DonkeyHotei> ô
  15 [03:02] <rww> woohoo, people
  16 [03:02] <elky> ianorlin: you should try use your offhand as much as possible so it stays strong :P
  17 [03:02] <rww> alrighty, I'm going to take the topics in reverse chronological order because why not
  18 [03:02] <rww> #topic Next meeting date
  19 [03:02] <rww> Next meeting is scheduled for November 30th right now, which is on the Sunday of Thanksgiving week.
  20 [03:02] <rww> I guess that's sub-optimal. Shall I suggest on the mailing list that we skip/postpone that one?
  21 [03:03] <rww> (and if so, which of skip/postpone)
  22 [03:03] <ianorlin> postpone
  23 [03:03] <elky> skip
  24 [03:03] <DonkeyHotei> maybe the previous sunday?
  25 [03:03] <elky> the last few agendas have been so busy and all </s>
  26 [03:03] <eps> skip until Dec. 14
  27 [03:04] <rww> ianorlin: until the 7th I guess?
  28 [03:04] <ianorlin> yes
  29 [03:04] <nhaines> Skip.
  30 [03:05] <DonkeyHotei> 3 skips so far
  31 [03:06] <rww> If we postpone, it's 7th and 21st. if we skip, it's 14th and 28th
  32 [03:06]  * rww ponders
  33 [03:06] <rww> or 7th and 14th I guess
  34 [03:06] <DonkeyHotei> 21st is close to christmas, 28th is close to new year's
  35 [03:07] <rww> I'll email the mailing list about meetings in december in general, and try to get consensus by the 23rd. Does that work for everyone?
  36 [03:07] <ianorlin> yes
  37 [03:07] <elky> yep
  38 [03:07] <DonkeyHotei> "
  39 [03:08] <eps> abstain
  40 [03:08] <rww> #action rww to email ML tonight about December meetings, decision by 23rd
  41 [03:08] <darthrobot> ACTION: rww to email ML tonight about December meetings, decision by 23rd
  42 [03:08] <nhaines> Sounds good to me.
  43 [03:08] <rww> #topic 2015 leadership election reminder
  44 [03:09] <rww> This is pretty much just a note that we have an election coming up. Based on the timing last year, there should be a nomination period in December and election in January.
  45 [03:09] <rww> jyo did it last year, but I'm not running this year and am fine with doing it instead. Whatever works.
  46 [03:09] <rww> Anyone have any election-related comments?
  47 [03:10] <DonkeyHotei> great because jyo is hereby nominated
  48 [03:10] <rww> I forget whether nominations are self-nominations or not.
  49 [03:10] <nhaines> I approve of elections in general.
  50 [03:11] <DonkeyHotei> i believe both are acceptable
  51 [03:11] <rww> yeah, looks like non-self was fine last year and jyo checked in with nominees before election to see if they actually want to run
  52 [03:12] <rww> however, the nomination period isn't open yet, so hold that thought until it is ;)
  53 [03:12] <rww> anyone have any questions/comments/concerns about that whole process?
  54 [03:12]  * ianorlin doesn't
  55 [03:14] <rww> alrighty, moving onwards
  56 [03:14] <rww> #topic SCaLE
  57 [03:15] <rww> #link http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale13x
  58 [03:15] <darthrobot> Title: [SCALE 13x | scale13x]
  59 [03:15] <nhaines> I also approve of SCaLE in general.
  60 [03:15] <DonkeyHotei> nhaines: you gonna do ubucon again?
  61 [03:15] <rww> Looks like it's scheduled for February 19-22, 2015 this year, at Hilton LAX (again).
  62 [03:16] <rww> If anyone's interested in presenting at SCaLE itself, see https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/cfp and submit a proposal by the 10th
  63 [03:16] <darthrobot> Title: [Call for Papers | SCALE 13x]
  64 [03:16] <rww> Who's planning on going so far? (I'm not, busy at work around then.)
  65 [03:16] <eps> I hope most of you have already made arrangements. Affordable travel and accommodations are going to disappear soon, if they haven't already. Cheap seats on Megabus are already sold out.
  66 [03:17] <nhaines> I'm planning to be there.  I'll take charge of the booth this year.
  67 [03:18] <DonkeyHotei> affordable accommodations never *completely* sold out before, just needed an extra drive
  68 [03:18] <eps> We need a discount code for regular attendees and the usual packet for workers.
  69 [03:18] <rww> nhaines: do you want to coordinate with the SCaLE folks to get the booth registered and such?
  70 [03:18] <nhaines> Ooh, tht's a good idea.  Yeah, I'll handle that this year and get the discount code and stuff.
  71 [03:19] <eps> This year looks different ... the usual overflow hotels are horrendously expensive, suggesting there's another major event on those dates.
  72 [03:19] <nhaines> eps: that all comes together with the packet.
  73 [03:19] <rww> nhaines: ta. CC: the leadership folks on emails so we know status please :)
  74 [03:20] <ianorlin> I am
  75 [03:20] <eps> Note that SCaLE has expanded to four days.
  76 [03:20] <rww> also, I notice that since action can't be taken on non-agendized items, I'll be emailing the list asking for input before making that decision "official"
  77 [03:20] <rww> so hold off about a week
  78 [03:20] <rww> #action rww to email list about SCaLE, recommending voluntelling nhaines to coordinate booth work
  79 [03:20] <darthrobot> ACTION: rww to email list about SCaLE, recommending voluntelling nhaines to coordinate booth work
  80 [03:20] <nhaines> Sounds good to me.
  81 [03:20] <eps> Put SCaLE discussion on the next agenda.
  82 [03:21] <rww> #action rww to add SCaLE to the next meeting agenda when he makes the next meeting agenda tonight
  83 [03:21] <darthrobot> ACTION: rww to add SCaLE to the next meeting agenda when he makes the next meeting agenda tonight
  84 [03:21] <rww> (I'll date it for the 30th, until we decide what date to move it to)
  85 [03:23] <rww> Any other SCaLE comments/questions/discussion?
  86 [03:23] <DonkeyHotei> look for accommodations in the Monterey Park area?
  87 [03:24] <eps> DonkeyHotei: that's a bit of a commute
  88 [03:24] <DonkeyHotei> yep
  89 [03:24] <ianorlin> my commute is from Torrance
  90 [03:24] <ianorlin> at my parents house
  91 [03:25] <DonkeyHotei> torrance is closer
  92 [03:28] <rww> if anyone needs to do rideshare and such, that'd be something to bring up in here pretty shortly
  93 [03:28] <rww> anyways, next topic
  94 [03:28] <rww> #topic Event ideas
  95 [03:28] <DonkeyHotei> personally i can't afford to attend at all without free room & board atm, but if i did, my car seats 5 total
  96 [03:29] <eps> nhaines: Do you approve of events in general?
  97 [03:30] <DonkeyHotei> i approve of NorCal events in particular
  98 [03:31] <nhaines> eps: indeed I do!
  99 [03:31]  * eps does too
 100 [03:32] <rww> any ideas for them? :3
 101 [03:32] <nhaines> Every so often OCLUG talks about the old Linux Day events they used to host at Microcenter.
 102 [03:32] <nhaines> It might be fun to do that sort of thing.
 103 [03:33] <rww> what's a Linux Day?
 104 [03:34] <nhaines> They set up a table inside or in front of Microcenter with Linux on them and showed it off, gave out discs, and probably recommended some systems that were compatible.
 105 [03:34] <ianorlin> ah nice
 106 [03:34] <DonkeyHotei> NorCal no longer has a Microcenter
 107 [03:34] <eps> DonkeyHotei: whaaa?
 108 [03:34] <ianorlin> except I might lose money from spending it
 109 [03:35] <DonkeyHotei> eps: they closed a couple years back
 110 [03:35] <DonkeyHotei> 2010 i think
 111 [03:35] <eps> Darn. Looks like just Tustin now.
 112 [03:36] <nhaines> Oh, bummer.
 113 [03:36] <DonkeyHotei> they didn't even tell the employees not to show up for work at the time
 114 [03:38] <eps> Well, I guess we'll have to find another place to warn people about Bay Trail-based hardware.
 115 [03:38] <nhaines> Anyway, it might be fun to organize these kinds of events at smaller computer shops.  I'm going to try and gather information from those who ran the last ones.
 116 [03:39] <DonkeyHotei> there are smaller computer shops?
 117 [03:40] <nhaines> yes.  When you look at all computer shops, they are of various sizes.
 118 [03:42] <rww> as far as tabling goes, there's also farmers markets and other community gathering type stuff
 119 [03:44] <nhaines> That's true.  I've pondered the idea of exhibiting at swap meets or farmers markets.
 120 [03:46] <rww> #topic Any Other Business
 121 [03:46] <rww> anything else anyone would like to cover tonight?
 122 [03:46]  * DonkeyHotei puts a lid on it
 123 [03:47] <nhaines> I'm good for now.
 124 [03:47]  * eps moves for adjournment
 125 [03:48] <rww> and I think everyone else wandered off
 126 [03:48] <nhaines> I approve of adjourment in general.
 127 [03:48]  * rww bans meeting hammer
 128 [03:48] <rww> #endmeeting
 129 [03:48] <darthrobot> Meeting ended Mon Nov 17 03:48:55 2014 UTC.
 130 [03:48] <darthrobot> Minutes:        http://ihas.5cat.com/~darthrobot/ubuntu-us-ca/2014/ubuntu-us-ca.2014-11-17-03.00.moin.txt

CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/14November16 (last edited 2014-11-17 04:35:47 by rww)