DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT
This document describes the policy for updating cloud-init in a stable, supported release.
cloud-init is initialization software used for standing up cloud instances. It can help setup, configure, and customize an instance during boot.
In order to closely align with the MAAS product and the needs of cloud providers (e.g. AWS, Azure, GWS) cloud-init needs to be periodically updated in order to enable new features. Therefore, the following types of changes are allowed as long as the conditions outlined below are met:
- Bug fixes
- New features
In the event of a change breaking backwards compatibility, then SRU team approval will need to be obtained.
Requesting the SRU
The SRU should be done with a single process bug, instead of individual bug reports for individual bug fixes. The one bug should have the following:
The SRU should be requested per the StableReleaseUpdates documented process
- The template at the end of this document should be used and all ‘TODO’ filled out
- References to each bug fixed by the SRU should be included in the changelog and major changes called out in the SRU template, especially where changed behavior is not backwards compatible.
- For each release (e.g. trusty, xenial, etc.) that is proposed to be updated by the SRU a link to the results of integration testing of specific test cases for at least the following data sources must be provided: nocloud, lxd, ec2, azure, gce
- Any architecture specific fixes need to be noted and architecture specific test results included
- Any packaging changes (e.g. a dependency change) need to be stated
- If any manual testing occurs it should also be documented. See LP# 1588052 as an example.
Updates to cloud-init trunk go through the following process:
- Reviewed and approved by a member of the development team
- Daily integration tests on trunk
- Successful run of unit tests and style tests based on the branch
- Branch set to the committed state
The following describes the requirements for each package generated for the SRU.
For each package generated a successful completion of cloud-init integration tests, as described below, using the proposed package with no unexplained errors or failures
== Begin SRU Template == [Impact] This release sports both bug-fixes and new features and we would like to make sure all of our supported customers have access to these improvements. The notable ones are: * <TODO: Create list with LP: # included> See the changelog entry below for a full list of changes and bugs. [Test Case] The following development and SRU process was followed: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CloudinitUpdates The cloud-init team will be in charge of attaching the artifacts and console output of the appropriate run to the bug. cloud-init team members will not mark ‘verification-done’ until this has happened. [Regression Potential] In order to mitigate the regression potential, the results of the aforementioned integration tests are attached to this bug. <TODO: attach cloud-init-proposed test artifacts from tests for each release on nocloud datasource> <TODO: attach cloud-init-proposed test artifacts from tests for each release on lxd datasource> <TODO: attach cloud-init-proposed test artifacts from tests for each release on ec2 datasource> <TODO: attach cloud-init-proposed test artifacts from tests for each release on gce datasource> <TODO: attach cloud-init-proposed test artifacts from tests for each release on azure datasource> [Discussion] <TODO: other background> == End SRU Template == <TODO: Paste in change log entry>