← Revision 74 as of 2013-01-30 01:37:29
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|||<tablestyle="float:right; font-size: 0.9em; width:40%; background:#F1F1ED; margin: 0 0 1em 1em;" style="padding:0.5em;">'''Contents'''[[BR]][[TableOfContents]]||||= Cody A.W. Somerville =|
|Line 3:||Line 3:|
| * '''Name :''' Cody A.W. Somerville
* '''Status :''' ''Ubuntu Member''.
* '''Project :''' Xubuntu Developer
* '''Location :''' Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
* '''O/S :''' Ubuntu w/Xfce4 (''Xubuntu'')
* '''E-mail :''' firstname.lastname@example.org
* '''Launchpad :''' https://launchpad.net/people/cody-somerville
* '''IRC :''' ''cody-somerville'' @ irc.freenode.net
|'''Location :''' Ottawa, ON, Canada|
|Line 12:||Line 5:|
|attachment:CodySomerville-ubuntu-user2.png||'''Launchpad :''' https://launchpad.net/~cody-somerville|
|Line 14:||Line 7:|
|== About me ==||'''IRC :''' ''cody-somerville'' @ irc.freenode.net|
|Line 16:||Line 9:|
|I've been using Ubuntu for some time now (not quite sure how long, I'd have to go digging for that information) and I've really come to love and enjoy using Linux on the desktop and server. Even though I considered myself a very tech-savvy person before joining the Linux community, I've found Ubuntu to be exceptionally easy to use and recommend it to all my friends and family.||=== About me ===|
|Line 18:||Line 11:|
|I love Ubuntu so much that I've decided that I want to give back to the Ubuntu community! I'm a frequent idler of #xubuntu, #xubuntu-devel, #ubuntu-ca, #ubuntu-marketing, #launchpad, #xubuntu-offtopic, #ubuntu-marketing, #ubuntu-doc and #ubuntu-motu regularly. I also hope to lend some of my programming skills to help improve the Xubuntu distribution and Ubuntu as a whole. Even though I still consider myself a ''newbie'' compared to the other amazingly talented individuals in our community, I think my dedication, enthusiasm, willingness to learn, and my ever developing technical aptitude and skills could become an asset to the Ubuntu project.||I'm an Ubuntu Core Developer since 2009, member of the Ubuntu Developer Membership board, and former project leader for the Xubuntu flavour of Ubuntu.|
|Line 20:||Line 13:|
|== Skill Set ==||Previously an employee of Canonical, I designed and implemented the image building, software package repository management, and release infrastructure used by the Professional Engineering and Services group to deliver Ubuntu pre-installed on eight-to-ten million devices in 2011.|
|Line 22:||Line 15:|
|Line 24:||Line 17:|
|Love to ramble about CS/tech topics and don't mind lots of questions? Then I've got an ear to listen with. :]||I'm always happy to lend a hand or help anyway I can. If you're interested in any of the projects I'm involved in or think I'd be interested in one of yours, please feel free to contact me.|
|Line 26:||Line 19:|
|I also consider myself to be proficient in written and spoken English but I can be a horrible speller at times. <g>||=== Areas of Contributions ===|
|Line 28:||Line 21:|
|Other notable skills include leadership, organization, and the ability to quickly learn new topics.
Other distros that I have experience with include RedHat 9, Debian, DSL (my first linux distro), Slackware, Fedora Core, and a few other small utility distros.
== My Contributions ==
=== Team Membership ===
You can view the teams that I'm a member of at https://launchpad.net/~cody-somerville/+participation
=== Translation/Localization ===
* Member of English (Ca) Translation Team ([https://translations.launchpad.net/people/cody-somerville/+translations Translations]).
=== Support & Bug Triage ===
* Tech support on #xubuntu on irc.freenode.net
* Regular [https://launchpad.net/people/cody-somerville/+karma bug triaging] on launchpad and [https://launchpad.net/people/cody-somerville/+reportedbugs bug reporting].
=== Documentation ===
* Very frequent contributor to Xubuntu Wiki pages ([:Xubuntu/]*)
* Contributor to Xubuntu Desktop Guide (w/ SVN commit access)
=== Community, Advocacy, & Marketing ===
* (Previous) Chief Editor of UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter
* Local advocacy at school and in the community (Public speaking, posters, word of mouth, etc.)
* Presenter for Xubuntu session in [:UbuntuOpenWeek:Ubuntu Open Week] event.
* #xubuntu and #xubuntu-* IRC contact and operator
* Developing LoCo Team Fredericton (NB, CA)
=== Code, Packaging, & Development ===
* Xubuntu project leader
* Member of the Debian Python Packaging Team
* Admin & Developer of [http://Xubuntu.org Xubuntu.org]
* SRU for Curl in Edgy ([https://launchpad.net/bugs/73447 Bug #73447])
* SRU for Mousepad in Dapper ([https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/dapper/+source/mousepad/+bug/56161 Bug #56161])
* Security upload for syslog-ng in Edgy, Feisty, and Gutsy ([https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/syslog-ng/+bug/183389 Bug #183389]
I have contributed to the following uploads in addition to the following uploads listed at https://launchpad.net/~cody-somerville/+packages
* https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/atl2/2.0.3-3 (See [https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/atl2/+bug/190342 Bug #190342]).
== Plans & Goals ==
I hope to continue to improve Xubuntu and Ubuntu as a whole by developing custom applications, patching and packaging, giving support on irc support channels, writing wiki pages and documentation, and so much more.
Some things I'd like to accomplish in the future include:
* Making day-to-day desktop operations easy and fully functional in comparison to other popular operating systems and then some.
* Developing the Xubuntu community.
* Contributing upstream to Xfce4 & Thunar.
* Improving the Xubuntu desktop experience through researching common custom or helpful modification to default settings.
* Continuing maintenance and development of Xubuntu wiki pages and website.
* Developing custom solutions and contributing to upstream applications to help make the Xubuntu (and Ubuntu) distribution ''well rounded''.
* And so much much more...
'''Note''': ''A lot of people have borrowed/used (some with explicit permissions, others none at all) my homepage "template" -- Feel free to do so. :)''
| * Ubuntu Core Developer and MOTU
* Image building infrastructure
* Member of Ubuntu Developer Membership board
* Member of the Ubuntu Documentation Project Core Commiter Team
* Former Xubuntu Project Lead and Developer - developed the Xubuntu project strategy document
* Former Chief Editor of UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter
* Former member of the Ubuntu Universe SRU Approval Team
Cody A.W. Somerville
Location : Ottawa, ON, Canada
Launchpad : https://launchpad.net/~cody-somerville
IRC : cody-somerville @ irc.freenode.net
I'm an Ubuntu Core Developer since 2009, member of the Ubuntu Developer Membership board, and former project leader for the Xubuntu flavour of Ubuntu.
Previously an employee of Canonical, I designed and implemented the image building, software package repository management, and release infrastructure used by the Professional Engineering and Services group to deliver Ubuntu pre-installed on eight-to-ten million devices in 2011.
I'm now an engineer in Hewlett-Packard's Office of Corporate Strategy and Technology doing fun cloud R&D stuff
I'm always happy to lend a hand or help anyway I can. If you're interested in any of the projects I'm involved in or think I'd be interested in one of yours, please feel free to contact me.
Areas of Contributions
- Ubuntu Core Developer and MOTU
- Image building infrastructure
- Member of Ubuntu Developer Membership board
- Member of the Ubuntu Documentation Project Core Commiter Team
- Former Xubuntu Project Lead and Developer - developed the Xubuntu project strategy document
Former Chief Editor of UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter
- Former member of the Ubuntu Universe SRU Approval Team