|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 4:||Line 4:|
| * '''Status :''' ''Ubuntu MOTU Developer'', ''Canonical Release Engineer''
* '''Project :''' Xubuntu Developer, Canonical OEM Services Custom Engineering Group
| * '''Status :''' ''Ubuntu MOTU Developer''; and ''Canonical Release Engineer''
* '''Project :''' Xubuntu Developer; and Canonical OEM Custom Engineering Solutions Group
|Line 7:||Line 7:|
|* '''O/S :''' (X)ubuntu||* '''O/S :''' Xubuntu|
|Line 54:||Line 54:|
|* Contributor to Xubuntu Desktop Guide (w/ SVN commit access)|| * Contributor to Xubuntu Desktop Guide
* Member of the Ubuntu Documentation Project Core Commiter Team
|Line 62:||Line 63:|
|* Developing LoCo Team Fredericton (NB, CA) & encouraging efforts in the rest of Atlantic Canada.|
|Line 67:||Line 67:|
| * Member of the Ubuntu developer team
* Member of the Xubuntu developer team
|Line 68:||Line 70:|
|* Member of the Ubuntu Universe SRU Approval Team|
|Line 69:||Line 72:|
| * SRU for Curl in Edgy ([[https://launchpad.net/bugs/73447|Bug #73447]])
* SRU for Mousepad in Dapper ([[https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/dapper/+source/mousepad/+bug/56161|Bug #56161]])
* Security upload for syslog-ng in Edgy, Feisty, and Gutsy ([[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/syslog-ng/+bug/183389|Bug #183389]]
|Line 88:||Line 88:|
|I hope to continue to improve Xubuntu and Ubuntu as a whole by developing custom applications, patching and packaging, giving support on irc support channels, writing wiki pages and documentation, and so much more.
* Help grow, develop, and mature the Xubuntu community;
* Help lead and develop the Xubuntu distribution;
* Contribute to upstream Xfce4.
|I'm currently applying to become a Ubuntu Core Developer. You can find my application at [[/CoreDeveloperApplication|CodySomerville/CoreDeveloperApplication]].|
Name : Cody A.W. Somerville
Status : Ubuntu MOTU Developer; and Canonical Release Engineer
Project : Xubuntu Developer; and Canonical OEM Custom Engineering Solutions Group
Location : Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
O/S : Xubuntu
Launchpad : https://launchpad.net/~cody-somerville
IRC : cody-somerville @ irc.freenode.net
I've been using Ubuntu for some time now (not quite sure how long, I'd have to go digging for that information) and I've really come to love and enjoy using Linux on the desktop and server. Even though I considered myself a very tech-savvy person before joining the Linux community, I've found Ubuntu to be exceptionally easy to use and recommend it to all my friends and family.
I love Ubuntu so much that I've decided that I want to give back to the Ubuntu community! I'm a frequent idler of #xubuntu, #xubuntu-devel, #ubuntu-ca, #ubuntu-marketing, #launchpad, #xubuntu-offtopic, #ubuntu-marketing, #ubuntu-doc, #ubuntu-mobile, #ubuntu-testing, #ubuntu-desktop, #ubuntu-motu and a number of other channels regularly. I also hope to lend some of my programming skills to help improve the Xubuntu distribution and Ubuntu as a whole. Even though I still consider myself a newbie compared to the other amazingly talented individuals in our community, I think my dedication, enthusiasm, willingness to learn, and my ever developing technical aptitude and skills could become an asset to the Ubuntu project.
In Winter 2008, I was elected by the Xubuntu community as the Xubuntu Project Leader and later approved as a Ubuntu Developer by the MOTU Council.
As of August 2008, I'm an employee of Canonical OEM Services Custom Engineering Group as a Release Engineer.
Love to ramble about CS/tech topics and don't mind lots of questions? Then I've got an ear to listen with. :]
I also consider myself to be proficient in written and spoken English but I can be a horrible speller at times.<g>
Other notable skills include leadership, organization, and the ability to quickly learn new topics.
Other distros that I have experience with include RedHat 9, Debian, DSL (my first linux distro), Slackware, Fedora Core, RHEL 3, and a few other small utility distros.
You can view the teams that I'm a member of at https://launchpad.net/~cody-somerville/+participation
Member of English (Ca) Translation Team (Translations).
Support & Bug Triage
Very frequent contributor to Xubuntu Wiki pages (Xubuntu/*)
- Contributor to Xubuntu Desktop Guide
- Member of the Ubuntu Documentation Project Core Commiter Team
Community, Advocacy, & Marketing
(Previous) Chief Editor of UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter
- Local advocacy at school and in the community (Public speaking, posters, word of mouth, etc.)
Presenter for Xubuntu session in Ubuntu Open Week event.
- #xubuntu and #xubuntu-* IRC contact and operator
Code, Packaging, & Development
- Xubuntu project leader
- Member of the Ubuntu developer team
- Member of the Xubuntu developer team
- Member of the Debian Python Packaging Team
- Member of the Ubuntu Universe SRU Approval Team
Admin & Developer of Xubuntu.org
I have contributed to the following uploads in addition to the following uploads listed at https://launchpad.net/~cody-somerville/+packages
Plans & Goals
I'm currently applying to become a Ubuntu Core Developer. You can find my application at CodySomerville/CoreDeveloperApplication.
Note: A lot of people have borrowed/used (some with explicit permissions, others none at all) my homepage "template" -- Feel free to do so. :)