2009-05-05

Differences between revisions 13 and 15 (spanning 2 versions)
Revision 13 as of 2009-05-05 16:14:38
Size: 7875
Editor: f054051048
Comment:
Revision 15 as of 2009-05-05 16:33:05
Size: 8183
Editor: awe
Comment: Fixed spelling of my last name.
Deletions are marked like this. Additions are marked like this.
Line 8: Line 8:
 * Tony Epsy (awe)  * Tony Espy (awe)
Line 80: Line 80:
 * Dealing with Malayalam translations in Rosetta. The Malayalam
translators requested to revert all translated string back to upstream
(Packaged).
 * Discussion with Jeroen Vermeulen about the Malayalam translations and
rolling back to upstream translations in general.
 * Preparing talk for AllHands

For minutes of previous meetings, please see DesktopTeam/Meeting.

Present

  • Rick Spencer (rickspencer3) - chair
  • Alexander Sack (asac)
  • Tony Espy (awe)
  • Bryce Harrington (bryce)
  • Chris Cheney (calc)
  • Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
  • Ken VanDine (kenvandine)

  • Martin Pitt (pitti)
  • Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
  • Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter)

Apologies

  • Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje) - Vacation

  • Robert Ancell (robert_ancell) - Out of timezone

Agenda

  • Outstanding actions from last meeting
  • Welcome awe
  • UDS
  • GUADEC
  • Triaging versus Bug Fixing/Closing in Karmic
  • Review activity reports
  • Any other business

Outstanding actions from last meeting

  • ACTION: rickspencer3 to get definitive list of who has talks at all hands to double check that everyone who has one is prepared
    • Result: have pinged a couple of people, but haven't gotten such a list yet, will carry over

Actions from this meeting

Welcome awe

Tony is joining the desktop team 80% of his time for the Karmic cycle. To start off he will be working with asac to identify some interesting NM related work, and to engage in the UDS process.

UDS

  • Are blueprints all submitted?
  • pitti and rickspencer3 will review, sort, prioritize, etc... by eod Thur

GUADEC

Need a definitive list of who is going, and when. Also, do you have papers to present.

who

when

what

rickspencer3

core days

talk

robert_ancel

lightning talk

kenvandine

Mon - Thur

talk

seb128

core days

Triaging versus Bug Fixing/Closing in Karmic

  • Pain is felt across the team, clear that the current balance is not right.
  • We should have a UDS session for this, so won't do problem solving in team meeting.
  • How to move forward must be a *team* decision, with shared principles. Though each product area has special needs, so implementation may look different for everyone.
  • We should take bold action in Karmic, not got for a 10% or 20% increase in productivity, but 1000%.

Activity reports

Alexander Sack (asac)

  • Mozilla:
    • mozilla backports
    • yet another firefox security update
    • fix mozilla build failure in karmic that was uncovered by gcc 4.4
    • investigate daily bot + launchpad/soyuz issues; discussed with cprov and identified why latest launchpad doesn't handle lots of uploads in one batch properly anymore (LP: #371640)
    • mentor mozillateam members about how to maintain daily bzr branches to get more eyes caring for those builds
    • work with Jazzva on fixing prism trunk builds
  • NetworkManager:

    • network-manager bug triage; evaluating fixes for jaunty SRU
    • finding root-cause for weird dbus permission issues for some PPP/VPN users in jaunty; discussed and found potential fix for that with upstream - LP: #371291 (PPP) + LP: #360818 (VPN)
    • finished network-manager 0.7.1 hardy backports for NetworkManager and got verification from community that this works

  • Misc:
    • started to gather input from other teams on browser/network needs
    • more thoughts on karmic tasks

Arne Goetje (ArneGoetje)

  • Dealing with Malayalam translations in Rosetta. The Malayalam

translators requested to revert all translated string back to upstream (Packaged).

  • Discussion with Jeroen Vermeulen about the Malayalam translations and

rolling back to upstream translations in general.

Bryce Harrington (bryce)

  • Sponsored: -intel (LP: #371544), mesa (LP: #368049), -ati
  • Karmic merges: fglrx-installer, -ati, -nv
  • Wrote a getting started page for Ubuntu-X
  • Started drafting a KMS howto:
  • Focused most of week into solving X.org freeze bug.
    • A suitable workaround was found and currently in testing.
  • Addressing various concerns about -intel performance.
    • (Needs backports of kernel patches by kernel team.)
  • Triaging, upstreaming UXA bugs. Wrote LPL script to report on
    • current status of UXA bugs in lp and fdo.

Chris Cheney (calc)

  • Working on OOo 3.1.0 packaging. Almost done for all: hardy/intrepid/jaunty/karmic
  • Had the following packages synced for OOo 3.1.0 - icu, flute-openoffice.org, libbase-openoffice.org, libfonts-openoffice.org, libformula-openoffice.org, liblayout-openoffice.org, libloader-openoffice.org, librepository-openoffice.org, libserializer-openoffice.org, libxml-openoffice.org, pentaho-reporting-flow-engine-openoffice.org
  • Weekly OOo Release Status Meeting - OOo 3.1.0 final later this week
  • Weekly desktop team meeting
  • Meeting with Michael Frey about new position
  • Lots of OOo bug triage

Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)

done:

  • Merges, cmake, kdelibs, kde4libs, qt4, pkg-kde-tools, kdepimlibs,

kdebase*

  • Pondered, discussed and registered UDS specs
  • wrote and discussed MIR for xmlrpc-c
  • filled in preformance review and for colleague
  • oversaw KDE 4.2.3 packaging for jaunty by ninjas

todo:

  • more merges
  • KDE 4.3 beta packaging

Ken VanDine (kenvandine)

Done:
  • Upgraded to Karmic
  • U1 testing, bug reporting and debugging
  • Reviewed libindicator API docs
  • Worked with the OLS team to define acceptance criteria for U1 in Karmic
  • Message indicator session for Ubuntu Open Week
  • UDS Karmic planning

Working on:
  • U1 testing, bug reporting and debugging
  • Continue to work on acceptance criteria for U1 in Karmic
  • Ayatana planning for Karmic

Martin Pitt (pitti)

Just a four-day week, Friday was a national holiday.

Currently open stable/milestoned bugs:

  • 334446 (Remove gnome-pilot from the default ubuntu install): simple to do, needs some discussion though

Done:

  • Tons of SRU processing
  • Various bug fixes in apport, f-spot, hal, hal-info
  • Prepared two blueprints for UDS karmic
  • Updated gnome-power-manager (mega-merge), now using DeviceKit-Powre

  • Packaged devicekit-disks, gnome-disk-utility, libatasmart
  • Packaged gvfs with devicekit support, in ubuntu-desktop PPA; some things don't work yet, but by and large looking good
  • Heavy testing of U1, filed some bugs
  • upgraded to Karmic and -intel 2.7.0 video driver, filed major bug upstream, update my other reported bugs against -intel

Merges:

  • Done: grep, mcrypt, po-debconf, ttf-tmuni, asciidoc, backuppc, gconf, gnome-mount, gthumb, gzip, latex-beamer, libdv, nis, pbuilder, tzdata
  • Outstanding: gthumb (merged, but f****ng autotools breakage), texlive-extra (no time yet)

Sponsoring:

  • Uploaded: alacarte, ekiga, f-spot, gnome-themes, lintian
  • Reviewed, needs fixing: libmtp, dbus-python, tomboy

Sebastien Bacher (seb128)

  • lot of desktop bugs triage after jaunty
  • archive admin work, initial karmic autosync run, manual syncing and

NEW queue cleaning

  • started on desktop merges for karmic: desktop-file-utils gedit

gtkhtml rhythmbox gnome-media gftp libxml++ poppler libxklavier nautilus gnome-pkg-tools libgnome rarian

  • some desktop bugs fix in karmic and sru uploads to jaunty
  • listed desktop components and who is working on what
  • booked flights for dxteam sprint

Till Kamppeter (tkamppeter)

Robert Ancell (robert_ancell)

  • General triaging
  • Accepted to do lightning speech at GUADEC: Practical Part-Time Refactoring (gcalctool)
  • Preparing blueprint for UDS: Compiz bug management
  • 352041 - Ekiga crash when no accounts configured/working - Jaunty SRU

  • 181553 - Some Totem/Rhythmbox playlist newline formats not supported - My patch applied upstream, will SRU

  • 368252 - Totem browser plugin not working with Apple HD trailers - fixed upstream, will SRU

  • 343707 - Rhythmbox tries to find plugin for corrupt files - candidate patch, will SRU

  • Updating packages for Karmic


CategoryDesktopTeam

Back to DesktopTeam.

DesktopTeam/Meeting/2009-05-05 (last edited 2009-05-06 01:36:50 by rick-rickspencer3)