Hi I'm Duncan Lithgow.
I've been playing with Linux since about 2002.
First I decided Debian had the best philosophy, so I bought the set of 7 Debian CDs. I couldn't install it. A linux sys-admin from the local university came to help me, he gave up as well. I hope they've sorted out their useless installer since then!
The sys-admin gave me a Fedora Core 2 CD set, and that worked fine becasue I was patient and read eveything carefully. I would never give that to an average PC user and expect them to be able to install and configure it. I hope they've improved their installer!
Because I want to be able to recommend Linux to others I had a look at Ubuntu, and think it's the best balance between user friendliness and the GNU ethos.
Update: My Compaq Evo N150
Update: My HP Pavilion dv8220ea
- Work on a new template or a better system generally
Community Ubuntu Documentation
- Separate Ubuntu from its variants in the community docs
- Find out how to lock some page content so we can have static contant
- Rationalize the Category system.
- Finish another section of the 'Find software by menu location'.
- Make a simple rationalized map of all CUD
- Finish the find software by '*' page
- Can there be a 'find software by question' page? Maybe use Launchpad FAQ or the Questions lists Matt sent me.
- Write blue print for usage survey to improve structure of the documentation both online and offline
Cut'n'paste bugs texts
Thanks for your bug report, it's a bit out of date now and might have even been fixed. Could you please try the latest version of Ubuntu and update this bug? See http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu
Thanks for your bug report, it's a bit out of date now and might have even been fixed. Could you please try the latest live CD version of Ubuntu and update this bug? CD images of today's build of Ubuntu are here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/current/
Thanks for reporting this bug. I am closing this bug report as it lacks the information asked for earlier, so no-one can investigate the problem further. But please reopen it if you can give us the missing information. Feel free to keep submitting other bug reports. I've marked this bug as 'Invalid'.
Thanks for this bug report, it seems to have helped fix the problem. On my install of Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) this bug no longer exists! Please reopen this bug if you still have this problem, and keep the bug reports coming in. I'm marking this bug as 'Fix Released'.
Blueprints and specs
Specs to follow up: https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/welcome-window https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/automated-localization-download (should be removed) https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/localization-preferences (link to my bug report)