IRCMeetingLogs20110924

Differences between revisions 5 and 6
Revision 5 as of 2011-10-20 14:32:06
Size: 20456
Editor: nlsthzn
Comment: Adding September IRC Logs
Revision 6 as of 2011-10-20 14:33:24
Size: 16869
Editor: nlsthzn
Comment:
Deletions are marked like this. Additions are marked like this.
Line 10: Line 10:
[06:02] <Uxthui> #startmeeting
[06:02] <Uxthui> Guess not.
[06:02] <Uxthui> Anyway, first things first, what are the events we're going to
organize?
[06:03] <Uxthui> Just Ubuntu and Linux is not going to suffice.
[06:04] <nlsthzn> GNU/Linux
[06:04] <rashidragon> hello
[06:04] * nlsthzn waves @ rashidragon
[06:05] <rashidragon> < this guy waves back xP
[06:06] <rashidragon> SoOoOo every 1 is here ?
[06:07] <Uxthui> Yes, welcome, rashidragon.
[06:08] <Uxthui> Well, come on, how are we going to represent free software?
[06:10] <Uxthui> A presentation is of course in order to explain free software
(I couldn't tell freeware from free software before Ubuntu).
[06:10] <Uxthui> Then what?
[06:10] <rashidragon> then burn them on CD's and throw them at people for free
xD
[06:10] <nlsthzn> Uxthui: Where will this presentation be held?
[06:10] <rashidragon> seriously i dont know =/
[06:11] * rverrips apologies for the log spam - Just switching clients from
mobile to fixed
[06:12] <rashidragon> can some 1 explain whats going on i am kinda new here >.<
[06:12] <Uxthui> nlsthzn, I'm open to suggestions. :P
[06:13] <Uxthui> Depends on what we are going to do besides the presentation.
[06:13] <jjksaji> we are discussing , what activities we need to do on software
freedom day
[06:13] <rashidragon> and that is going to be, where ?
[06:14] <jjksaji> may be could conduct a walk on mamzar beach
[06:14] <jjksaji> with T short worn
[06:14] <ragesh> wow that would b great
[06:15] <jjksaji> we will take snaps of it and post to the news paper for
coverage
[06:16] <rashidragon> @.@ wow i didnt know stuff like that happenes here in
dubai awesome count me in free sofware for ever (wisper + pirate software)
[06:16] <ragesh> this would be my first interaction with u guys, I'm excited
[06:16] <Uxthui> ragesh, there's a meet up the first Wednesday next month.
[06:17] <ragesh> yeah, so that would be before SFD
[06:18] <nlsthzn> rashidragon: why would you ever need to pirate software when
there are open source alternatives to just about anything ;)
[06:18] <Uxthui> jjksaji, well that would very well tell people that there are
people who care about the thing called /free software/, but they won't know
what is free software.
[06:18] <rashidragon> nlsthzn ur right =/
[06:18] <jjksaji> we will walk , along with us we will carry advertisment
materials and contact details
[06:19] <ragesh> is it possible to show any demo or such
[06:19] <rverrips> And to be culturally sensitive we can't explain it as "Free
as in Beer" - Need a localization for that ...
[06:19] <ragesh> lol
[06:19] <jjksaji> just give ubuntu-ae contact (meetup ) details to all who ask
, I think this is going to get attention
[06:19] <xnixan> Hi
[06:20] <Uxthui> Right, advertisement materials and contact details. We can
conduct the walk in the morning and, using the fliers, invite them to a
presentation event in the evening.
[06:20] <Uxthui> Morning, xnixan.
[06:20] * nlsthzn waves @ xnixan
[06:21] <nlsthzn> Uxthui: I think that sounds like the outlines of a pretty
solid idea
[06:21] <Uxthui> I'm all for the walk as long as it is not the only thing we do
the whole day.
[06:21] <xnixan> Morning Uxthui and many waves @ nlsthzn :)
[06:22] * nlsthzn wonders how feasable it would be to ask Jono Bacon to do a
keynote speech to kick of the evening via the interwebs...
[06:22] <Uxthui> And one more thing, only pointing to Ubuntu for contacts would
be too narrow from the general free software view.
[06:23] <Uxthui> nlsthzn, I would think he's already booked.
[06:23] <nlsthzn> Uxthui: well, he is 11 hours behind us ;)
[06:24] <Uxthui> But of course, we can have a mini-installfest in the sidelines
of the SFD.
[06:24] <nlsthzn> Installfest is hard work...
[06:24] <jjksaji> for installfest we need a location + audience
[06:24] <rashidragon> most people i know uses pirated software i guess thats
why most people dont care about free sofware + smart computer geeks 90% uses
free sofwares, most games works on windows and not linux,unix,ubuntu thats the
other resoin why people still uses windows over ubuntu altho ubuntu is so damn
awsome but the problem with the gaming companys the just make the game works
with windows as u know
[06:24] <rashidragon> about 70% of the people who uses computers dont know
nothing about it they just use chating services and gaming + browsing <what i
said wont help skip>
[06:24] <Uxthui> That's why it's /mini/.
[06:25] <ragesh> where is toki??
[06:25] <Uxthui> ragesh, that's me. :)
[06:26] <ragesh> okk, I was searching for u :)
[06:26] <nlsthzn> Just for your guys info - http://softwarefreedomday.org/
[06:27] <Uxthui> rashidragon, yes, for teenagers and young adults, games are
one of the major reasons why they won't jump ships.
[06:27] * rverrips thinks nlsthzn has a good idea regards Jono … perhaps
there's already something like that being planned for the inter webs?
=== rashidragon is now known as rashid
[06:27] <Uxthui> But as you said, there's 70% of the people who don't know
anything - we are (at least, I am) aiming to educate that 70%.
[06:28] <rashid> i tryed to do that weth my friends didnt work =/ thay made me
give up (bad friends xP)
[06:29] <ragesh> do we have high end games like Need For Speed and Counter
strike which work on linux platform??
[06:29] <Uxthui> rashid, go for the uncles and grandparents. :P
[06:29] <Uxthui> ragesh, unfortunately, we don't.
[06:30] <ragesh> how abt using free Software "wine"?
[06:30] <Uxthui> Now then, I believe we have established the two main events of
our SFD.
[06:30] <rashid> wont work for big exe files
[06:31] <rashid> those 70% are educated but still dont want to change cuz of
the stuff they can do in windows and cant in ubuntu
[06:31] <Uxthui> ragesh, that will work, but it is not perfect. And not many
people would like to switch to Ubuntu and learn to use it to play games.
[06:31] <rverrips> Ragesh (regards High-end Games) there are some good
alternatives … try alternativeto.net
[06:32] <rashid> but still u can ask people to install ubuntu beside windows at
least so thay can test it out
[06:32] <rashid> dual boot
[06:32] <rashid> or maybe installing it on a vmware
[06:33] <nlsthzn> rashid: there is very little you can do in Windows that you
can't do in Linux... also, not everyone playes games on there PC's... and even
then there is a lot of games for Linux :)
[06:34] <nlsthzn> Uxthui: so, you want to have a mini installfest and a
presentation and a walk...
[06:34] <nlsthzn> or not the installfest
[06:34] <Uxthui> Not?
[06:34] <jjksaji> I prefer not to conduct installfest
[06:34] <ragesh> no toki, people still use windows only for games and
entertainment. If linux supports games then we can see a lot of people
migrating to linux
[06:35] <jjksaji> after mamzar beach walk , we can go to other places
[06:35] <jjksaji> may be malls
[06:35] <jjksaji> we need to have T shirts and caps ordered for us
[06:35] <rashid> any 1 here owens a website ?
[06:36] <rverrips> (Just my two cents worth) - Although pushing Ubuntu as a
"free" alternative to Windows, we could perhaps focus on things folks could
already use on Windows, and may already - Like Firefox, LibreOffice, etc.
[06:36] <Uxthui> jjksaji, nlsthzn, that's fine, I only suggested that to
highlight Ubuntu as a free software.
[06:36] <rverrips> We own ubuntu.ae - Can put a sub-site on that, like
free.ubuntu.ae or something?
[06:36] <Uxthui> Or <ubuntu.ae/sfd>?
[06:37] <rashid> ubuntu.ae takes u to wiki.ubuntu.com
[06:37] <Uxthui> rashid, that's because rverrips set it up to do so.
[06:38] <nlsthzn> rverrips: yup... there is a LOT of free software out there
people are using everday... wikipedia, wordpress... so many things we can
highlight :)
[06:38] <Uxthui> Anyway, a walk all over Dubai to invite everyone to a formal
SFD event in the evening. I think we all agree on that point.
[06:38] <rashid> hmm i guess
[06:39] <rashid> company spends alot of money to use windows for there workers
[06:39] <Uxthui> The next thing I'd like to discuss is, are any of you
affiliated with other tech groups?
[06:39] <rashid> i guess atleast if company switched to ubuntu
[06:39] <rashid> it would be free from them and they can do there work on
ubuntu instead of windows witch cost $$
[06:40] <rashid> cuz company workers wont play game in there work xP and that
the only thing in my opn ubuntu i missing (games)
[06:40] <ragesh> So When will we get T-shirts?
[06:40] <Uxthui> rashid, it's not as simple.
[06:41] <rashid> nothing is simple
[06:41] <rverrips> Rashid - The "free" argument is a bit more complex. Most
companies purchase OEM licenses which in many cases would make it more
expensive to run a free OS like Ubuntu
 - When we speak "free" we're address
more the freedom that's involved with using an open source OS
[06:41] <Uxthui> jjksaji, if we register our event at the SFD we'll get free
t-shirts and stuff, will you please go ahead and register?
[06:42] <nlsthzn> Uxthui: I doubt any thing coming from them will ever reach us
here in time... now less than 3 weeks to go...
[06:42] <rashid> rverrips so u mean ubuntu wont be free for companies and will
cost more?
[06:42] <ragesh> Can I go ahead and register?
[06:43] <jjksaji> ragesh it will be great if u can register
[06:43] <ragesh> ok
[06:43] <rverrips> No, Rashid, but many companies might have to pay more for a
PC without Windows pre-installed, so the argument of cost dies ...
[06:43] <jjksaji> argesh if u can take the ownership, please go ahead
[06:44] <nlsthzn> Remember that free software has the emphasis on free like in
freedom of speech ;)
[06:44] <rashid> aha...
[06:45] <jjksaji> We can give T shirt and Cap order here in UAE
[06:47] <Uxthui> rverrips, you are registered on the Dubai LUG forum, are you
not? Can you drop them a post about SFD, and ask for their co-operation?
[06:47] <ragesh> I doubt whether we get the goodies coz on the SFD site they
have asked to register before 2nd Aug fo rthe goodies
[06:47] <nlsthzn> Well, we should still register
[06:49] <rverrips> Uxthui - Count on me to spread the word once we know what it
is ...
[06:49] <ragesh> nlsthzn: Ok
[06:50] <Uxthui> rverrips, there are two reasons why I want co-operation of
other groups.
[06:51] <Uxthui> 1. Need more people.
[06:51] <Uxthui> 2. They can do their own stuff to add to the event.
[06:52] <Uxthui> So in a way, they should tell us what it is we're going to do.
[06:54] <ragesh> Guy, what would be the expected size of our team?
[06:54] <nlsthzn> Well, already there is a number of activities that need to be
done... T-Shirts need designing and printed... venue for presentation, someone
to do presentation... oh, and I guess we will need funds for all this too...
[06:54] <Uxthui> People, these are the two reasons we need more groups involved
in this. I again ask you to invite any IT-related teams to SFD. If you can get
your organizations to join us, even better.
[06:54] <ragesh> Guys, what would be the expected size of our team?
[06:54] <rverrips> Uxthui the most (read that only) active LUG or Open Source
movement in Dubai at the moment, from what I know, is EmiratesLOCO - I doubt
anyone else is planning anying. We'd need to take the lead on this ...
[06:55] <Uxthui> rverrips, sure, if the want to participate, we schedule their
prime time. ;)
[06:55] <Uxthui> ragesh, I would say, judging from our installfest, around
twelve.
[06:56] <Uxthui> rverrips, I'll try and get Omar to negotiate with Dubai Tech
Nights as well.
[06:56] <ragesh> I'm registering for SFD, What should be our team name?
[06:57] <Uxthui> There should be some Android dev or user groups around as well.
[06:57] <Uxthui> ragesh, Ubuntu Emirates Team should suffice.
[06:57] <ragesh> Guys, should I give a higher no. than twelve or 12 is enough?
[06:58] <Uxthui> 20.
[06:58] <rverrips> +1 for saying 20
[06:59] <rverrips> Suggestion for team name is "sfd.ubuntu.ae"
[06:59] <Uxthui> Team website, you mean?
[06:59] <ragesh> no the team name for sfd
[07:00] <Uxthui> I was asking rverrips, since it looks like a URL.
[07:00] <rverrips> I am suggesting to have team-name same as url and email
std@ubuntu.ae … some might call it branding?
[07:00] <jjksaji> +1 for 20
[07:03] <jjksaji> ragesh I guess we have to give 20 users
[07:03] <ragesh> ok
[07:04] <ragesh> nlsthzn: what name would u suggest for the team??
[07:04] <nlsthzn> Team Rocket
[07:04] <nlsthzn> but that's just me :p
[07:04] <rverrips> Now if you said "Team Rocket Jump" I'd say +1 :-)
[07:04] <ragesh> std@ubuntu.ae is also good, isnt it?
[07:04] <jjksaji> Team UAE
[07:04] <ragesh> lol
[07:05] <Uxthui> I say Ubuntu Emirates!
[07:05] * nlsthzn will only be there in spirit anyhow so I couldn't care less
what the name is :)
[07:05] <Uxthui> nlsthzn, eh, you came for the installfest, why not for the SFD?
[07:06] <nlsthzn> Uxthui: because someone has to work to keep the UAE economy
going ;)
[07:06] <Uxthui> Register for a break! Register for a break on SFD right now!
[07:06] <ragesh> guys team name: std@ubuntu.ae is that ok??
[07:07] <rverrips> *blush* just realized my type - I mean SFD not sTd - That's
terrible - Apologies …
[07:07] <Uxthui> Not std, sfd!
[07:07] <nlsthzn> Epic FAIL\
[07:07] <rverrips> +10 on Epic Fail ...
[07:08] <rashid> how about UAEbuntu
[07:08] <nlsthzn> been a while since I have actually really laughed at
something happening online
[07:08] <Uxthui> rashid, NO!
[07:08] <rashid> >.<
[07:08] <ragesh> :D
[07:08] * rverrips takes a bow for epic typo fail
[07:08] <Uxthui> nlsthzn, good thing you still retain your humanity.
[07:09] <rashid> whats wronge with this Error: DocType text/plain
[07:09] <rashid> off topic xP
[07:09] <Uxthui> By the way, rverrips, imagining you bow tickles me...
[07:10] <ragesh> What is the "Team wiki page URL:"?
[07:10] <Uxthui> ragesh, let me do it, please?
[07:10] <Uxthui> :)
[07:12] <rverrips> Guys I have to go - nlsthzn / uxthui drop me a mail with the
minutes and anything you want me to do (website redirection, email creation,
etc.) - Catch ye' later ...
[07:12] <nlsthzn> rverrips: cheers
[07:12] <Uxthui> rverrips, see ya around.
[07:12] <rashid> c ya
[07:12] <rashid> to late -.-
[07:13] <jjksaji> let ragesh do it since he had taken initiative
[07:13] <ragesh> Toki, I almost finished
[07:14] <Uxthui> ragesh, well, we'll leave decorating the wiki page on the SFD
to you. :P
[07:15] <Uxthui> I'll be honest, I'm jealous cause I wasn't the one
registering. :(
[07:16] <Uxthui> Anyway, jjksaji, depending on the number of people joining us
on the walk, it might be better to have more than one routes through the busy
areas.
[07:16] <nlsthzn> Uxthui: well your the orginizer ;)
[07:16] <Uxthui> nlsthzn, all the more reason why I wanted to register!
[07:16] <ragesh> Toki, I could have given it to u if i've not gone so long with
it
[07:17] <rashid> can i ware a mask @.@ people will pay more attention
[07:17] <rashid> xP
[07:17] <Uxthui> ragesh, sorry for the trouble and thanks. Be sure to show up
at our next meet up.
[07:17] <Uxthui> rashid, we don't want people to see us as freaks. :)
[07:17] <rashid> lol sorry i am still a teen so crazy ideas may pop up any time
[07:17] <rashid> i guess i need to use pop up blocker
[07:18] <ragesh> Toki, there's no trouble we are doing for our team
[07:18] <rashid> freaks are smart people in there own way V.V
[07:18] <ragesh> Sure i'll be there at the next meetup
[07:18] <Uxthui> rashid, that's the fun of being a teenager. Keep 'em coming!
[07:18] <Uxthui> Look at me, I'm just 19 and speaking like I'm about to retire.
:P
[07:18] <rashid> lolz
[07:19] <rashid> i am 18 nehahaha i am younger
[07:19] <rashid> that means i am going to live more than you nananana
[07:19] <rashid> xP
[07:19] <rashid> jk
[07:19] <Uxthui> Now, I'm the third youngest in the group... :(
[07:19] <rashid> i ran a ubuntu server in my house
[07:19] <rashid> hosting a website
[07:20] <rashid> that way i was looking for some ubuntu group hehe and found u
guys
[07:20] <Uxthui> Welcome?
[07:20] <Uxthui> :P
[07:20] <rashid> to bad etisa(lag) blocks port 80
[07:20] <Uxthui> LOL!
[07:20] <rashid> so i had to change stuff and now the site is on port 8800
[07:21] <Uxthui> What do you use on yer desktop? Ubuntu or Windows?
[07:21] <rashid> both
[07:21] <rashid> right now ubuntu
[07:21] <rashid> i used backtrack and mint and ubuntu
[07:22] <nlsthzn> OK.. so I take it the meeting is done?
[07:22] <Uxthui> Ah, that's right...
[07:22] <rashid> and lots of other linux dist
[07:22] <Uxthui> Sorry, nlsthzn, but yes, I guess.
[07:22] <Uxthui> Since ragesh has went ahead and registered not much to discuss
for now.
[07:22] <nlsthzn> Just to clarify because I may have missed it... who is doing
what?
[07:23] <Uxthui> rashid, if ye know any other tech-group invite them.
[07:23] <rashid> (if) i knew xP
[07:24] <rashid> hmm i press some butting now my mirc is on full screen how can
i go back
[07:24] <rashid> dumb Q
[07:24] <Uxthui> nlsthzn, online on Gmail?
[07:24] <Uxthui> No one else is responding around here.
[07:25] <jjksaji> we are here
[07:25] <Uxthui> jjksaji, right, so what are we going to do about t-shirts and
fliers?
[07:25] <jjksaji> just waiting for the reposne from you
[07:25] <Uxthui> Me?
[07:26] <nlsthzn> rashid: press alt+f4
[07:26] <jjksaji> ya about T-shirts and caps , are we going to go ahead, if so
we need to order it
[07:26] <rashid> that will clode my irc
[07:27] <Uxthui> I just want to say, where are we going to order them and how
are we going to pay.
[07:27] <nlsthzn> rashid: I know, but at least it won't be full screen anymore
[07:27] <rashid> okie brb
[07:28] * nlsthzn should add sarcasm tags on his replies next time :/
[07:28] <jjksaji> first let us see who all will be contributing ,
[07:29] <jjksaji> we need to contribute for ourself
[07:30] <Uxthui> jjksaji, that will be the best method.
[07:31] <Uxthui> How soon can we get the t-shirts after making the order?
[07:31] <rashid> -.-
[07:31] <rashid> it was the f11 key an yeah it still was on full screen
anoying...
[07:32] <jjksaji> who all are there to share the expense
[07:33] <Uxthui> Everyone will pay for their own t-shirt. In that way, we'll
not waste money for extra t-shirts no one will wear.
[07:35] <jjksaji> but we need to know the no of people , before we order
[07:35] <nlsthzn> That is one expense, what about the fliers/banners?
[07:35] <nlsthzn> Then, you want to still have a venue for a presentation too ;)
[07:36] <Uxthui> Yes, we've started for the SFD too late.
[07:36] <Uxthui> I was hoping to wait for other groups to co-operate with us
before we decide on our stage.
[07:37] <Uxthui> But is waiting another week too much of a stretch?
[07:37] <nlsthzn> Well as you can see the only other group is us ;)
[07:37] <nlsthzn> I don't think it is too late for what we have planned...
[07:37] <nlsthzn> Thus far...
[07:38] <Uxthui> Well, I say we wait at least until Eid, cause Omar's got
contacts with big groups like DTN.
[07:39] <Uxthui> And he's more likely to be able to decide on the most suitable
venue.
[07:39] <nlsthzn> OK... it is your show :)
[07:40] <Uxthui> Around time to wrap up.
[07:40] <Uxthui> So at least the walk is confirmed.
[07:40] <Uxthui> ragesh, did you complete the registration?
[07:44] <Uxthui> jjksaji, I'm sorry, but we only went thus far today. Thanks
for the great walk suggestion.
[07:45] <jjksaji> Uxthui : journey starts will small steps
[07:45] <nlsthzn> Uxthui: thanks for chairing the meeting... to all the rest,
thanks for attending :)
[07:45] <Uxthui> nlsthzn, jjksaji, ragesh, rashid, that will be all for today's
meeting. Till next time.
[18:51] == iOmar [d9a4e322@gateway/web/freenode/ip.217.164.227.34] has joined
#ubuntu-ae
[18:51] -ChanServ- [#ubuntu-ae] Welcome to #ubuntu-ae. This channel is publicly
logged at irclogs.ubuntu.com. Use of this channel implies acceptance of the
terms at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/TermsOfService
[18:51] <iOmar> I am away  ... joining in 10 mins
[18:58] == rverrips [~rverrips@80.227.121.170] has joined #ubuntu-ae
[18:59] == ragesh [~Ragesh@dxb-b122616.alshamil.net.ae] has joined #ubuntu-ae
[18:59] <ragesh> hii guys
[19:02] == Uxthui [~ubuntu@92.99.220.192] has joined #ubuntu-ae
[19:04] <iOmar> Hi everybody I am in
[19:04] <Uxthui> Ditto.
[19:04] <ragesh> hii
[19:04] <iOmar> Sorry for being a bit late ...
[19:04] <iOmar> Lets get cooking
[19:05] <iOmar> So for today's meeting I did post up that I would like to
discuss with the community the future format of the monthly sessions
[19:06] <iOmar> as I have been running out of ideas and I think it would be
good for variety comming from different members
[19:06] <iOmar> I did discuss a couple days back with Toki on that briefly
[19:07] <iOmar> I would suggest the following format
[19:07] <iOmar> Divide the the monthly session into 3 parts
[19:08] <iOmar> First is a 10 mins overview of Ubuntu for newbies
[19:08] <iOmar> Second is a How to Session on an Ubuntu related topic
[19:08] <iOmar> Three is Tea, Coffee and Snacks for a social end to the night.
[19:09] <iOmar> Well thats my two cents ... for the session
[19:09] <iOmar> I would like to hear everyone's thoughts so please go ahead
[19:10] <Uxthui> I think that's a satisfactory arrangement. But what exactly do
we do in the first part?
[19:10] <ragesh> that would be a good idea
[19:11] <iOmar> The first part would be a brief intro to Ubuntu similar to the
"What in the world is Ubuntu"
[19:11] <iOmar> presentation
[19:12] <ragesh> that's really good
[19:13] <ragesh> else newbies wont understand whats goin on
[19:13] <iOmar> We can then rotate the sessions between core members who can
present How to sessions
[19:13] <Uxthui> Excellent. In support of that idea, a good how-to will
demonstrate the flexibility and prowess of Ubuntu to draw more newbies.
[19:14] <rverrips> Forgive my ignorance (maybe I was late) what are we talking
about?
[19:14] <iOmar> Hey Roy good to hear from you
[19:15] <ragesh> i remember from newbies, joseph was talkin abt free training
[19:15] <ragesh> for newbies
[19:15] <rverrips> Are Monthly sessions same as what we used to call Loco
Meetings?
[19:15] <iOmar> Well we were discussing the format of the sessions to have a
more rigid format
[19:15] <iOmar> yes ..
[19:15] <Uxthui> rverrips, yes.
[19:15] <rverrips> Ok, got it Â… sorry for the diversion - Please continue
[19:16] <iOmar> The idea is to have a 10 mins intro to Ubuntu
[19:16] <Uxthui> I'd prefer the term consistent instead of rigid. :)
[19:16] <iOmar> then a How to Session and finally a close with a social
gathering over coffee and tea
[19:16] <iOmar> consistent it is Toki ..
[19:17] <iOmar> so I would like to have people designated as speakers for the
community such as a  the likes of you Roy ..
[19:17] <iOmar> and they can have a small How to session every couple of months
which cycles between great speakers
[19:17] <rverrips> Happy to help where I can, iOmar - Any opportunity to talk
about linux and I'm there :-)
[19:18] <iOmar> GREAT!
[19:18]Â Â * rverrips I think ragesh was at the KVM presentation I did?
[19:18] <iOmar> The intro can be the same one i presented to the students at
AUS or an updated one like http://prezi.com/80mhgs_kxczb/ubuntu-overview/
[19:19] <iOmar> Ragesh?
[19:20] <iOmar> Can you suggest people from the group who you think can present
at the monthly events
[19:21] <rverrips> I think Joseph has some helpful input/presentations he
mentioned to me a while ago?
[19:21] <iOmar> Yes Jospeh is a great resource
[19:21] <rverrips> If we can track down Daniel again he had some fun stuff with
kernel hardening he mentioned Â…
[19:21] <iOmar> Daniel moved back to Canada just recently
[19:22] <ragesh> i'm sorry guys i was a lil busy
[19:22]Â Â * rverrips sighs Â… miss Daniel Â…
[19:22] <ragesh> rverrips: I was not there
[19:23]Â Â * rverrips apologies ragesh, must've been another ragesh :-)
[19:23] <ragesh> rverrips: I didnt know abt the presentation else i would have
come
[19:23] <ragesh> :)
[19:24] <iOmar> Well since now we have a great venue we can plan things in a
more concrete fashion.
[19:24] <rverrips> iOmar, as you know I haven't been to the last few meetings -
Am I correct in assuming the venue we meet at now allows for presentations and
is less of a "Ubuntu guys having Coffee" scene?
[19:24] <Uxthui> So are we gonna choose someone to do a presentation next week
or do you already have something, iOmar?
[19:25] <iOmar> Yup thats right Roy, Toki may be you'd like to volunteer .... I
would like to confess that I need help in get the group's act together in terms
of group governance
[19:25] <iOmar> and planning.
[19:26] <Uxthui> I'd love to volunteer and do a presentation, but I don't have
any good how-to on mind right now. Maybe I'll ask Ubuntu Forums for help.
[19:26] <iOmar> In this venue we have a whole auditorium with beanbag sofas all
for us.
[19:27] <rverrips> Venue sounds great - Send a thank you to whoever arranged
that - I'm trusting it doesn't cost us anything!
[19:27] <ragesh> woow that would be great
[19:27] == nlsthzn [~nlsthzn@2.51.151.188] has joined #ubuntu-ae
[19:27] == nlsthzn [~nlsthzn@2.51.151.188] has quit [Changing host]
[19:27] == nlsthzn [~nlsthzn@unaffiliated/nlsthzn] has joined #ubuntu-ae
[19:27] == mode/#ubuntu-ae [+v nlsthzn] by ChanServ
[19:27] <iOmar> It doesn't
[19:27]Â Â * nlsthzn waves hello
[19:27] <iOmar> The man the Legend has arrived
[19:27]Â Â * rverrips waves to nlsthzn - Good to see ye'
[19:27] <+nlsthzn> Sorry for being late :)
[19:27] <ragesh> hey neil
[19:28] <iOmar> Good to have you ..
[19:28] <Uxthui> Welcome, nlsthzn.
[19:28] <+nlsthzn> Thx all
[19:28] <Uxthui> Quick rundown some, nlsthzn?
[19:28] <iOmar> The venue doesnt cost us anything since we're a non-profit
[19:29] <+nlsthzn> Uxthui,  no worries... carry on :)
[19:29] <ragesh> and the organizer was iOmar right?
[19:29] <ragesh> he does all the great stuffs
[19:30] <iOmar> Maybe we can have Neil come in every couple of months to give a
presentation.
[19:30] <rverrips> +1 for seeing more of Neil
[19:30] <+nlsthzn> ;)
[19:31] <iOmar> So shall we collectively take up a month each and rotate in
terms of presentations. Joseph, Neil, Roy, Omar, Toki ?
[19:32] <Uxthui> No objections here.
[19:32] <rverrips> I'm good for a schedule - Leave to whoever is "on" that
month to work out a standin if he/she can't make it Â… gives us a long term
plan as well!
[19:33] <iOmar> Cool would anyone volunteer to devise a schedule for the
community
[19:33]Â Â * nlsthzn has not idea but it sounds good +1
[19:33] <rverrips> I'd suggest Toki setup the schedule Â… and put it on the
wiki
[19:34] <Uxthui> What sort of schedule?
[19:34] <iOmar> Well basically put the speakers name, and date and timing.
[19:34] <Uxthui> I mean to tell who's going to do the presentation next?
[19:35] <Uxthui> Ah, well, if I can find the UCW page again, I can copy it's
format. :)
[19:36] <Uxthui> Now that we're clear on that, can I ask for a change of topic?
[19:36] <+nlsthzn> Sounds good that we start using the Wiki more :)
[19:36] <Uxthui> Launchpad, and recent issues with Meetup has been on my mind.
[19:36] <Uxthui> Ditto.
[19:37] <rverrips> What issues with Meetup?  the meetup.com site, of the
actually meetings?
[19:37] <Uxthui> Site.
[19:38] <rverrips> Ok, what are the issues with meetup.com?
[19:38] <Uxthui> During the confusion with the absence of the Organizer, the
one paying for the Meetup page, mailing list did not work at all.
[19:38] <+nlsthzn> I never knew (or failed to notice) Meetup costs money... and
we have at our disposal all we need for free :)
[19:39] <iOmar> well my CC was absent ... :(
[19:39] <rverrips> +1 for not knowing before that that iOmar was our gracious
benefactor in subsidizing Meetup.com subs
[19:39] <Uxthui> Only added to the confusion, since we could not contact each
other and did not know the reason why, and what's going on.
[19:39] <iOmar> Well I'm humbled Roy its nothing ... :)
[19:40] <Uxthui> And I recently became aware that the email I sent to the
'core' members using Meetup never got to it's recipients. (the message asking
for @ubuntu.ae email)
[19:42] <iOmar> Do you mind sending it once more ..
[19:42]Â Â * nlsthzn gives a +1 for carrying meetup and other initiatives
thus far!
[19:42] <Uxthui> I was already biased against using Meetup as the primary team
page, and these issues makes it worse.
[19:42] <Uxthui> To check?
[19:42] <rverrips> I think is we "a core" we can more them to LP and keep
meetup.com for bringing folks in and arranging the meetings Â…
[19:43] <iOmar> +1
[19:43] <ragesh> +1
[19:43] <+nlsthzn> +1 (we can't just loose meetup, great place for people to
find us0
[19:44] <rverrips> +1 for not loosing meetup.com but I think we can do both LP
for core and meetup for publicity
[19:44] <iOmar> +1
[19:44] <ragesh> +1
[19:44] <Uxthui> Speaking of LP, any progress with Mr Zulfiqar?
[19:45] <Uxthui> On LP we can create subteams, so if we decide to have our
regular mailing list hosted by LP we can create a subteam for the core.
[19:45] <iOmar> Well to be frank I haven't reached out to him ... I wanted to
your thoughts on this
[19:45] <+nlsthzn> We need all things related to ubuntu-ae IMO
[19:46] <Uxthui> Honestly, I don't care if he will participate or not as long
as he is willing to give us control of the EmiratesTeam domains that we require.
[19:46] <iOmar> This brings up a question
[19:46] <Uxthui> He can be be the owner and moderator, but he has to make at
least one of the core members an admin.
[19:47] <iOmar> I have been told that the format for Ubuntu Local Teams is
based on Cities and not Countries
[19:47] <iOmar> i.e Dubai Loco , Abu Dhabi Loco etc
[19:47] <iOmar> correct me if I'm wrong
[19:47] <Uxthui> I was under the impression that applies to big countries, a la
USA, UK, Australia, etc.
[19:48] <Uxthui> For them it's like ubuntu-us-ny and the like.
[19:50] <iOmar> Roy , Neil?
[19:50] <rverrips> iOmar - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoFAQ seems to suggest it
best to keep a country wide Loco if you can Â…
[19:50] <+nlsthzn> UAE is small enough... we can't afford to splinter more :)
[19:51] <Uxthui> Ditto.
[19:51] <iOmar> Agreeable Neil
[19:51] <rverrips> In the bit of discussion I've have had (via email) with
Zulfiqar it doesn't sound like he's open to sharing
[19:51] <rverrips> +1 for not spintering
[19:51] <iOmar> +1
[19:51] <Uxthui> Can we somehow ask the FNC to make nationwide metro a reality
sooner?
[19:51] <Uxthui> :P
[19:51] <rverrips> if metro was open source it would be nationwide :-)
[19:52] <iOmar> Is there any reason which you can foresee in seeing Zulfiqar
not helping if we ask him?
[19:52] <Uxthui> Free as a beer question applies. Even if the designs and
blueprints are open-source, the materials aren't gonna magically appear.
[19:53] <+nlsthzn> on a side note the Dubai LUG seems to be gaining some
momentum... which is nice... is Zulfiqar active there too?
[19:53] <rverrips> iOmar - I can't seem him not wanting to help Â…
[19:53] <rverrips> Â… but my experience with him is that he tends to delay,
postponed, not reply Â…
[19:54] <rverrips> I'd suggest for now we remain an unofficial Loco Â…
[19:54] <rverrips> in a few months, when we've had some more event, meet ups,
etc. and have built up some more cred' we can approach the Loco council
[19:54] <iOmar> can we talk and discuss things on LP based on our current
requirements with the tools open to us as members?
[19:55] <iOmar> and not administrators?
[19:55] <+nlsthzn> rverrips, true... we are not there yet... but would be nice
to start getting the house in order as we go :)
[19:55] <rverrips> agreed, Neil, and think if we do as much as we can with what
we have, adding the last few pieces will be easier Â…
[19:56] <+nlsthzn> iOmar, launchpad really only gives us mailing lists AFAIK,
Uxthui?
[19:57] <+nlsthzn> (which we can already use :))
[19:57] <iOmar> Uxthui? rverrips?
[19:58] <Uxthui> Well yes, if we join ~EmiratesTeam now, there'll be no issues
using the mailinglist.
[19:58] <rverrips> Yes, but LP it is also the preferred/recommend method to
organize a loco Â…
[19:58] <Uxthui> But no administrative authority. (And subsequently no subteam).
[19:58] <iOmar> Time is running out .. people
[19:58] <+nlsthzn> rverrips, but I mean... what does it REALLY give us except a
place for people to join and a mailing list :)
[19:59] <ragesh> exactly
[19:59] <rverrips> nlsthzn - nothing more than you said Â…
[19:59] <rverrips> but it buys some relational credit with Toki :-)
[19:59] <Uxthui> nlsthzn, fulfill one of the official LoCo requirement.
[19:59] <ragesh> :)
[19:59] <Uxthui> rverrips, good point.
[20:00] <iOmar> Till we get critical mass thats when we'd really feel the
benefit.
[20:00] <Uxthui> And also saves us from Metup mailing list trouble.
[20:00] <+nlsthzn> Oh for sure... I think we must make work of getting it but
not let it stop us :)
[20:00] <iOmar> I would like to close on one last topic from last IRC meeting
[20:00] <Uxthui> And also saves us from Metup mailing list trouble. (which is
the foremost reason I want to us LP mailing list)
[20:01] <iOmar> Members business cards / Ubuntu marketing material
[20:02] <iOmar> I did manage to get an Ubuntu designed card here
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3016740/front.png
[20:02] <iOmar> and here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3016740/back.png
[20:02] <iOmar> front and back
[20:03] <iOmar> You can use it as a personal calling card & promote Ubuntu at
the same time

[20:03] <rverrips> I like the business cards - What are the costs?
[20:03] <+nlsthzn> wife has just yelled (again) that the food is ready and
getting cold... +1 from me for any good ideas... if not back before the end ...
cheers all...
[20:03] <iOmar> Some thing around .75 fils a card
[20:03] <rverrips> cheers neil ...
[20:04] <Uxthui> Affordable.
[20:04] <rverrips> What is the minimum order quantity?
[20:04] <Uxthui> But it's missing reference ubuntu-ae team and website.
[20:04] <iOmar> I might manage to get a low count 500 but I need to check
[20:05] <iOmar> This where we need to set things clear for the General Public,
to what site shall they be pointed to?
[20:05] <rverrips> 500 unique ones (i.e. 500xiOmar) or 500 total (i.e.
100xiOmar, 100xrverrips, 100xUxthui, etc.)
[20:05] <iOmar> I need to check possibly doable
[20:05] <iOmar> the latter
[20:06] <rverrips> I'd suggest to point them to ubuntu.ae - At the moment
that's the Wiki - If we later decide something else we can change the site
without changing the calling cards?
[20:06] <iOmar> +1 for the idea
[20:06] <Uxthui> Ditto for ubuntu.ae/
[20:07] <iOmar> but what about ubuntu.com? Which has evrything about Ubuntu?
[20:07] <iOmar> Our wiki doesnt really show much
[20:07] <Uxthui> Well, ubuntu.ae in fromnt and ubuntu.com at back?
[20:07] <rverrips> We should perhaps look at the wiki page (ubuntu.ae) and see
how can change that to either be "people looking for info on ubuntu"-friendly
or "people looking for ubuntu emirates"-friendly
[20:08] <Uxthui> Something like find us at ubuntu.ae/
[20:08] <ragesh> rverrips good idea
[20:08] <Uxthui> Something like find us at ubuntu.ae and download at ubuntu.com.
[20:08] <iOmar> Guys I need to close this last topic and move it to Meetup
discussion board.
[20:09] <iOmar> Time is up
[20:09] <rverrips> +1 for time up
[20:09] <Uxthui> Wait, wait, who's doing presentation next month?
[20:09] <ragesh> toki
[20:09] <rverrips> You mean in two weeks?  +1 for Toki
[20:09] <iOmar> +1 for Toki
[20:09] <ragesh> +1
[20:10] <Uxthui> Guess it's decided.
[20:10] <rverrips> I should be able to do November - pencil me in
[20:10] <iOmar> Thanks folks for joining another great session. Bye for now.

Minutes of Meeting EmiratesTeam/Meetings/IRCMeetingSummary20110827

This is the log of our fourth IRC meeting, held on #ubuntu-ae channel on Saterday, 27th August 2011:

[18:51] == iOmar [d9a4e322@gateway/web/freenode/ip.217.164.227.34] has joined 
#ubuntu-ae
[18:51] -ChanServ- [#ubuntu-ae] Welcome to #ubuntu-ae. This channel is publicly 
logged at irclogs.ubuntu.com. Use of this channel implies acceptance of the 
terms at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/TermsOfService
[18:51] <iOmar> I am away  ... joining in 10 mins
[18:58] == rverrips [~rverrips@80.227.121.170] has joined #ubuntu-ae
[18:59] == ragesh [~Ragesh@dxb-b122616.alshamil.net.ae] has joined #ubuntu-ae
[18:59] <ragesh> hii guys
[19:02] == Uxthui [~ubuntu@92.99.220.192] has joined #ubuntu-ae
[19:04] <iOmar> Hi everybody I am in
[19:04] <Uxthui> Ditto.
[19:04] <ragesh> hii
[19:04] <iOmar> Sorry for being a bit late ...
[19:04] <iOmar> Lets get cooking
[19:05] <iOmar> So for today's meeting I did post up that I would like to 
discuss with the community the future format of the monthly sessions
[19:06] <iOmar> as I have been running out of ideas and I think it would be 
good for variety comming from different members
[19:06] <iOmar> I did discuss a couple days back with Toki on that briefly
[19:07] <iOmar> I would suggest the following format
[19:07] <iOmar> Divide the the monthly session into 3 parts
[19:08] <iOmar> First is a 10 mins overview of Ubuntu for newbies
[19:08] <iOmar> Second is a How to Session on an Ubuntu related topic
[19:08] <iOmar> Three is Tea, Coffee and Snacks for a social end to the night.
[19:09] <iOmar> Well thats my two cents ... for the session
[19:09] <iOmar> I would like to hear everyone's thoughts so please go ahead
[19:10] <Uxthui> I think that's a satisfactory arrangement. But what exactly do 
we do in the first part?
[19:10] <ragesh> that would be a good idea
[19:11] <iOmar> The first part would be a brief intro to Ubuntu similar to the 
"What in the world is Ubuntu"
[19:11] <iOmar> presentation
[19:12] <ragesh> that's really good
[19:13] <ragesh> else newbies wont understand whats goin on
[19:13] <iOmar> We can then rotate the sessions between core members who can 
present How to sessions 
[19:13] <Uxthui> Excellent. In support of that idea, a good how-to will 
demonstrate the flexibility and prowess of Ubuntu to draw more newbies.
[19:14] <rverrips> Forgive my ignorance (maybe I was late) what are we talking 
about?
[19:14] <iOmar> Hey Roy good to hear from you
[19:15] <ragesh> i remember from newbies, joseph was talkin abt free training
[19:15] <ragesh> for newbies
[19:15] <rverrips> Are Monthly sessions same as what we used to call Loco 
Meetings?
[19:15] <iOmar> Well we were discussing the format of the sessions to have a 
more rigid format
[19:15] <iOmar> yes .. 
[19:15] <Uxthui> rverrips, yes.
[19:15] <rverrips> Ok, got it Â… sorry for the diversion - Please continue
[19:16] <iOmar> The idea is to have a 10 mins intro to Ubuntu 
[19:16] <Uxthui> I'd prefer the term consistent instead of rigid. :)
[19:16] <iOmar> then a How to Session and finally a close with a social 
gathering over coffee and tea
[19:16] <iOmar> consistent it is Toki ..
[19:17] <iOmar> so I would like to have people designated as speakers for the 
community such as a  the likes of you Roy ..
[19:17] <iOmar> and they can have a small How to session every couple of months 
which cycles between great speakers
[19:17] <rverrips> Happy to help where I can, iOmar - Any opportunity to talk 
about linux and I'm there :-)
[19:18] <iOmar> GREAT!
[19:18]Â Â * rverrips I think ragesh was at the KVM presentation I did?
[19:18] <iOmar> The intro can be the same one i presented to the students at 
AUS or an updated one like http://prezi.com/80mhgs_kxczb/ubuntu-overview/
[19:19] <iOmar> Ragesh?
[19:20] <iOmar> Can you suggest people from the group who you think can present 
at the monthly events
[19:21] <rverrips> I think Joseph has some helpful input/presentations he 
mentioned to me a while ago?
[19:21] <iOmar> Yes Jospeh is a great resource
[19:21] <rverrips> If we can track down Daniel again he had some fun stuff with 
kernel hardening he mentioned Â…
[19:21] <iOmar> Daniel moved back to Canada just recently
[19:22] <ragesh> i'm sorry guys i was a lil busy
[19:22]Â Â * rverrips sighs Â… miss Daniel Â… 
[19:22] <ragesh> rverrips: I was not there
[19:23]Â Â * rverrips apologies ragesh, must've been another ragesh :-)
[19:23] <ragesh> rverrips: I didnt know abt the presentation else i would have 
come
[19:23] <ragesh> :)
[19:24] <iOmar> Well since now we have a great venue we can plan things in a 
more concrete fashion.
[19:24] <rverrips> iOmar, as you know I haven't been to the last few meetings - 
Am I correct in assuming the venue we meet at now allows for presentations and 
is less of a "Ubuntu guys having Coffee" scene?
[19:24] <Uxthui> So are we gonna choose someone to do a presentation next week 
or do you already have something, iOmar?
[19:25] <iOmar> Yup thats right Roy, Toki may be you'd like to volunteer .... I 
would like to confess that I need help in get the group's act together in terms 
of group governance
[19:25] <iOmar> and planning.
[19:26] <Uxthui> I'd love to volunteer and do a presentation, but I don't have 
any good how-to on mind right now. Maybe I'll ask Ubuntu Forums for help.
[19:26] <iOmar> In this venue we have a whole auditorium with beanbag sofas all 
for us.
[19:27] <rverrips> Venue sounds great - Send a thank you to whoever arranged 
that - I'm trusting it doesn't cost us anything!
[19:27] <ragesh> woow that would be great
[19:27] == nlsthzn [~nlsthzn@2.51.151.188] has joined #ubuntu-ae
[19:27] == nlsthzn [~nlsthzn@2.51.151.188] has quit [Changing host]
[19:27] == nlsthzn [~nlsthzn@unaffiliated/nlsthzn] has joined #ubuntu-ae
[19:27] == mode/#ubuntu-ae [+v nlsthzn] by ChanServ
[19:27] <iOmar> It doesn't
[19:27]Â Â * nlsthzn waves hello
[19:27] <iOmar> The man the Legend has arrived
[19:27]Â Â * rverrips waves to nlsthzn - Good to see ye'
[19:27] <+nlsthzn> Sorry for being late :)
[19:27] <ragesh> hey neil
[19:28] <iOmar> Good to have you ..
[19:28] <Uxthui> Welcome, nlsthzn.
[19:28] <+nlsthzn> Thx all
[19:28] <Uxthui> Quick rundown some, nlsthzn?
[19:28] <iOmar> The venue doesnt cost us anything since we're a non-profit
[19:29] <+nlsthzn> Uxthui,  no worries... carry on :)
[19:29] <ragesh> and the organizer was iOmar right?
[19:29] <ragesh> he does all the great stuffs
[19:30] <iOmar> Maybe we can have Neil come in every couple of months to give a 
presentation.
[19:30] <rverrips> +1 for seeing more of Neil
[19:30] <+nlsthzn> ;)
[19:31] <iOmar> So shall we collectively take up a month each and rotate in 
terms of presentations. Joseph, Neil, Roy, Omar, Toki ?
[19:32] <Uxthui> No objections here.
[19:32] <rverrips> I'm good for a schedule - Leave to whoever is "on" that 
month to work out a standin if he/she can't make it Â… gives us a long term 
plan as well!
[19:33] <iOmar> Cool would anyone volunteer to devise a schedule for the 
community
[19:33]Â Â * nlsthzn has not idea but it sounds good +1
[19:33] <rverrips> I'd suggest Toki setup the schedule Â… and put it on the 
wiki
[19:34] <Uxthui> What sort of schedule?
[19:34] <iOmar> Well basically put the speakers name, and date and timing.
[19:34] <Uxthui> I mean to tell who's going to do the presentation next?
[19:35] <Uxthui> Ah, well, if I can find the UCW page again, I can copy it's 
format. :)
[19:36] <Uxthui> Now that we're clear on that, can I ask for a change of topic?
[19:36] <+nlsthzn> Sounds good that we start using the Wiki more :)
[19:36] <Uxthui> Launchpad, and recent issues with Meetup has been on my mind.
[19:36] <Uxthui> Ditto.
[19:37] <rverrips> What issues with Meetup?  the meetup.com site, of the 
actually meetings?
[19:37] <Uxthui> Site.
[19:38] <rverrips> Ok, what are the issues with meetup.com?
[19:38] <Uxthui> During the confusion with the absence of the Organizer, the 
one paying for the Meetup page, mailing list did not work at all.
[19:38] <+nlsthzn> I never knew (or failed to notice) Meetup costs money... and 
we have at our disposal all we need for free :)
[19:39] <iOmar> well my CC was absent ... :(
[19:39] <rverrips> +1 for not knowing before that that iOmar was our gracious 
benefactor in subsidizing Meetup.com subs
[19:39] <Uxthui> Only added to the confusion, since we could not contact each 
other and did not know the reason why, and what's going on.
[19:39] <iOmar> Well I'm humbled Roy its nothing ... :)
[19:40] <Uxthui> And I recently became aware that the email I sent to the 
'core' members using Meetup never got to it's recipients. (the message asking 
for @ubuntu.ae email)
[19:42] <iOmar> Do you mind sending it once more ..
[19:42]Â Â * nlsthzn gives a +1 for carrying meetup and other initiatives 
thus far!
[19:42] <Uxthui> I was already biased against using Meetup as the primary team 
page, and these issues makes it worse.
[19:42] <Uxthui> To check?
[19:42] <rverrips> I think is we "a core" we can more them to LP and keep 
meetup.com for bringing folks in and arranging the meetings Â…
[19:43] <iOmar> +1
[19:43] <ragesh> +1
[19:43] <+nlsthzn> +1 (we can't just loose meetup, great place for people to 
find us0
[19:44] <rverrips> +1 for not loosing meetup.com but I think we can do both LP 
for core and meetup for publicity
[19:44] <iOmar> +1
[19:44] <ragesh> +1
[19:44] <Uxthui> Speaking of LP, any progress with Mr Zulfiqar?
[19:45] <Uxthui> On LP we can create subteams, so if we decide to have our 
regular mailing list hosted by LP we can create a subteam for the core.
[19:45] <iOmar> Well to be frank I haven't reached out to him ... I wanted to 
your thoughts on this 
[19:45] <+nlsthzn> We need all things related to ubuntu-ae IMO
[19:46] <Uxthui> Honestly, I don't care if he will participate or not as long 
as he is willing to give us control of the EmiratesTeam domains that we require.
[19:46] <iOmar> This brings up a question
[19:46] <Uxthui> He can be be the owner and moderator, but he has to make at 
least one of the core members an admin.
[19:47] <iOmar> I have been told that the format for Ubuntu Local Teams is 
based on Cities and not Countries
[19:47] <iOmar> i.e Dubai Loco , Abu Dhabi Loco etc
[19:47] <iOmar> correct me if I'm wrong
[19:47] <Uxthui> I was under the impression that applies to big countries, a la 
USA, UK, Australia, etc.
[19:48] <Uxthui> For them it's like ubuntu-us-ny and the like.
[19:50] <iOmar> Roy , Neil?
[19:50] <rverrips> iOmar - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoFAQ seems to suggest it 
best to keep a country wide Loco if you can Â…
[19:50] <+nlsthzn> UAE is small enough... we can't afford to splinter more :)
[19:51] <Uxthui> Ditto.
[19:51] <iOmar> Agreeable Neil
[19:51] <rverrips> In the bit of discussion I've have had (via email) with 
Zulfiqar it doesn't sound like he's open to sharing
[19:51] <rverrips> +1 for not spintering
[19:51] <iOmar> +1
[19:51] <Uxthui> Can we somehow ask the FNC to make nationwide metro a reality 
sooner?
[19:51] <Uxthui> :P
[19:51] <rverrips> if metro was open source it would be nationwide :-)
[19:52] <iOmar> Is there any reason which you can foresee in seeing Zulfiqar 
not helping if we ask him?
[19:52] <Uxthui> Free as a beer question applies. Even if the designs and 
blueprints are open-source, the materials aren't gonna magically appear.
[19:53] <+nlsthzn> on a side note the Dubai LUG seems to be gaining some 
momentum... which is nice... is Zulfiqar active there too?
[19:53] <rverrips> iOmar - I can't seem him not wanting to help Â…
[19:53] <rverrips> Â… but my experience with him is that he tends to delay, 
postponed, not reply Â…
[19:54] <rverrips> I'd suggest for now we remain an unofficial Loco Â…
[19:54] <rverrips> in a few months, when we've had some more event, meet ups, 
etc. and have built up some more cred' we can approach the Loco council
[19:54] <iOmar> can we talk and discuss things on LP based on our current 
requirements with the tools open to us as members?
[19:55] <iOmar> and not administrators?
[19:55] <+nlsthzn> rverrips, true... we are not there yet... but would be nice 
to start getting the house in order as we go :)
[19:55] <rverrips> agreed, Neil, and think if we do as much as we can with what 
we have, adding the last few pieces will be easier Â…
[19:56] <+nlsthzn> iOmar, launchpad really only gives us mailing lists AFAIK, 
Uxthui?
[19:57] <+nlsthzn> (which we can already use :))
[19:57] <iOmar> Uxthui? rverrips?
[19:58] <Uxthui> Well yes, if we join ~EmiratesTeam now, there'll be no issues 
using the mailinglist.
[19:58] <rverrips> Yes, but LP it is also the preferred/recommend method to 
organize a loco Â…
[19:58] <Uxthui> But no administrative authority. (And subsequently no subteam).
[19:58] <iOmar> Time is running out .. people
[19:58] <+nlsthzn> rverrips, but I mean... what does it REALLY give us except a 
place for people to join and a mailing list :)
[19:59] <ragesh> exactly
[19:59] <rverrips> nlsthzn - nothing more than you said Â…
[19:59] <rverrips> but it buys some relational credit with Toki :-)
[19:59] <Uxthui> nlsthzn, fulfill one of the official LoCo requirement.
[19:59] <ragesh> :)
[19:59] <Uxthui> rverrips, good point.
[20:00] <iOmar> Till we get critical mass thats when we'd really feel the 
benefit.
[20:00] <Uxthui> And also saves us from Metup mailing list trouble.
[20:00] <+nlsthzn> Oh for sure... I think we must make work of getting it but 
not let it stop us :)
[20:00] <iOmar> I would like to close on one last topic from last IRC meeting
[20:00] <Uxthui> And also saves us from Metup mailing list trouble. (which is 
the foremost reason I want to us LP mailing list)
[20:01] <iOmar> Members business cards / Ubuntu marketing material
[20:02] <iOmar> I did manage to get an Ubuntu designed card here 
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3016740/front.png
[20:02] <iOmar> and here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3016740/back.png
[20:02] <iOmar> front and back 
[20:03] <iOmar> You can use it as a personal calling card & promote Ubuntu at 
the same time

[20:03] <rverrips> I like the business cards - What are the costs?
[20:03] <+nlsthzn> wife has just yelled (again) that the food is ready and 
getting cold... +1 from me for any good ideas... if not back before the end ... 
cheers all...
[20:03] <iOmar> Some thing around .75 fils a card
[20:03] <rverrips> cheers neil ...
[20:04] <Uxthui> Affordable.
[20:04] <rverrips> What is the minimum order quantity?
[20:04] <Uxthui> But it's missing reference ubuntu-ae team and website.
[20:04] <iOmar> I might manage to get a low count 500 but I need to check
[20:05] <iOmar> This where we need to set things clear for the General Public, 
to what site shall they be pointed to?
[20:05] <rverrips> 500 unique ones (i.e. 500xiOmar) or 500 total (i.e. 
100xiOmar, 100xrverrips, 100xUxthui, etc.)
[20:05] <iOmar> I need to check possibly doable
[20:05] <iOmar> the latter
[20:06] <rverrips> I'd suggest to point them to ubuntu.ae - At the moment 
that's the Wiki - If we later decide something else we can change the site 
without changing the calling cards?
[20:06] <iOmar> +1 for the idea
[20:06] <Uxthui> Ditto for ubuntu.ae/
[20:07] <iOmar> but what about ubuntu.com? Which has evrything about Ubuntu?
[20:07] <iOmar> Our wiki doesnt really show much
[20:07] <Uxthui> Well, ubuntu.ae in fromnt and ubuntu.com at back?
[20:07] <rverrips> We should perhaps look at the wiki page (ubuntu.ae) and see 
how can change that to either be "people looking for info on ubuntu"-friendly 
or "people looking for ubuntu emirates"-friendly
[20:08] <Uxthui> Something like find us at ubuntu.ae/
[20:08] <ragesh> rverrips good idea
[20:08] <Uxthui> Something like find us at ubuntu.ae and download at ubuntu.com.
[20:08] <iOmar> Guys I need to close this last topic and move it to Meetup 
discussion board. 
[20:09] <iOmar> Time is up
[20:09] <rverrips> +1 for time up
[20:09] <Uxthui> Wait, wait, who's doing presentation next month?
[20:09] <ragesh> toki
[20:09] <rverrips> You mean in two weeks?  +1 for Toki
[20:09] <iOmar> +1 for Toki
[20:09] <ragesh> +1
[20:10] <Uxthui> Guess it's decided.
[20:10] <rverrips> I should be able to do November - pencil me in
[20:10] <iOmar> Thanks folks for joining another great session. Bye for now.

EmiratesTeam/Meetings/IRCMeetingLogs20110924 (last edited 2011-10-20 14:36:16 by nlsthzn)