imported from the old wiki
← Revision 3 as of 2008-08-06 16:35:33
converted to 1.6 markup
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|= FasterBootProcess =
- Background cups on startup
- Remove numerous sleeps from GDM
- Make X startup far more efficient
- Rearrange many startup points to enable GDM to come up earlier
- Arrange for many critical files to be read into the kernel's page cache before they're needed, accelerating the loading time of the related programs
- Arranged for binfmt-misc (needed for mono and related programs) to be started much later in the boot process
- Enabled the list of files we pass to readahead to be sorted by location on disk
- Cache the /dev directory so we don't have to recreate it every time.
- Make GDM's background an SVG image, rather than a PNG. It turns out that the code to resize pngs is very, very expensive in CPU time, and this slows our gdm startup hugely.
- Or cache the resized PNG so it doesn't have to be resized every boot (the GDM screen's resolution won't change very often)
- Preload many of the files needed for initial desktop startup, allowing the desktop to come up faster.
Targets of opportunity:
- Write code to enable the list of files to be readahead to be generated on individual machines.
- Make hotplug asynchronous - not sure if this is a net gain. Devices that use hotplug to load their firmware, like USB modems, really delay boot process.
Parallelize execution of init scripts (e.g. using Serel from http://www.fastboot.org or advices from this IBM article: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot.html)
From JonathanJesse Thu Apr 14 13:46:31 +0100 2005 From: Jonathan Jesse Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:46:31 +0100 Subject: Speed boot up if no network connection Message-ID: <20050414134631+0100@https://www.ubuntulinux.org>
I have a laptop and when I'm not connected to the network the boot time is terribly slow. If startup doesn't detect a network connection then thing should speed up. It should skip the time server check and other things that makes me wait forever