Created: 10/31/2006 by towsonu2003
Packages affected: firefox
Ubuntu specific Firefox search engines should be included with the new releases.
- Connect users to the ubuntu community via quick search function (e.g. Firefox connects its users to Google with the Google engine -Ubuntu should do similar)
- Let users get help in a much efficient and quicker way.
Before: towsonu2003 cannot get his p990i cell phone connected to Ubuntu. He now has to search a bunch of places one by one...
After: towsonu2003 cannot get his p990i cell phone connected to Ubuntu. He types "990i" in the search engine box, selects each ubuntu-related search engine one by one and finds quickly that this is a bug that will be fixed in Feisty (I don't have a 990i, which further demonstrates the power of this spec -I have some of the engines listed below installed).
The feature asks to write and include the following search engines:
- Package search for that specific release
- Bug search
- Spec search
- Ubuntu forum search
- Ubuntu wiki search
- Ubuntu help.ubuntu.com search
- Costumized Google Search "Google for Ubuntu" [see discussion below]
- Localized search (example: Joe installs Turkish Ubuntu, he gets ubuntu-tr forum search engine as well as all listed above)
See for Search Engines to get an Idea how to write the engines
Customized Google Engine
- Added to the above list -thanks -towsonu2003
Existing Google Co-op Search Engines for Ubuntu Sites
http://www.ubuntu-search.org - English
http://www.uboontu.com - English
http://www.ubuntu-france.org - French
Ubuntu package search
Firefox already ships with /usr/share/firefox/searchplugins/debsearch.src, which searches for packages in the current release. -MalcolmParsons2
Localised search engines could be added to the mozilla-firefox-locale-* packages. -MalcolmParsons2
Indeed. Currently, mozilla-firefox ships with search plugins like wikipedia - to make them fully usable in a localized environment, they should be locale-sensitive instead of defaulting to using English sites. -KristianRink