For minutes of previous meetings, please see FoundationsTeam.
RobbieWilliamson - chair
Status Updates on Karmic Deliverables
- Alpha 4
Cloud Setup in Installer - Defer to Alpha 5?
Grub2 as Default - Done, but still needs some cleanup work:
- Blinking cursor
- The flashes of text that still happen
Possible zero delay work
Installer Support for ISCSI - Done
Install Updates on Shutdown - Deferred to Alpha 5/6 (need to confirm when mvo returns)
More Robust Python Packaging - Defered to Alpha 5/6 (need to confirm when mvo returns)
- Missing Milestones
- Alpha 4
- Sponsorship queue
- Missing Objectives from
- Good news
Outstanding actions from last meeting
Actions from this meeting
Robbie to update the team release status wiki for Karmic deliverables [Done]
DebConf; trip report to follow separately.
- Karmic sprint.
- Restored dmraid support to parted (#392246).
- Merged: grub-installer, partman-base, partman-partitioning
- Feature work:
- Merged all patches upstream, with help from Max Vozeler.
- Wrote partman-iscsi.
- Fixed up several bugs in open-iscsi, e.g. #306678.
- Integrated iSCSI target login with "no disks found" installer UI.
- Dropped much of old open-iscsi installer integration, superseded by the above.
- Stopped requiring iscsi=true.
- Preseeding partially working but still needs some attention for Kickstart to be viable.
- Adjusted initramfs-tools to load virtio_net, making KVM testing easier.
- Hoovered up initramfs-tools patch to fix ip= (LP: #364626).
- Made sure network devices are always included in initramfs if booting with / on iSCSI.
- Arranged to retry initramfs network configuration for a while until it works.
- Added hidden timeout support, used by default; update installer to match. (Some bugs caused by this, as the upgrade process could be smoother.)
- Adjusted menu theme.
Some work on visually-smooth GRUB->kernel transition, though turns out to be tricky due to kernel-side issues (see https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2009-August/006773.html).
- Designed new Avahi-based scheme for cloud installation.
- Added udebs to avahi.
- Added Eucalyptus tasks.
- Sent batch of developer interview mails.
- Fixed console-setup #392218 (/etc/default/console-setup ignored on boot), which turned out to be a busybox bug (gzip missing in initramfs).
- Nightmare ia32-libs update (#277069, #305860, #389510, #393503).
- Made hw-detect stop installing acpi, acpid, and acpi-support-base if acpi is available.
- Made kernel-wedge's error behaviour a bit more helpful, at Tim's request (#410221).
- Wrote a debhelper addon for germinate, massively simplifying all the
- -meta packaging.
- iso-codes #409410.
- system-config-kickstart #409261, #409270, #409352, #409368, #409554.
- pax #406858.
- Technical Board meeting (chaired).
- Attended Debconf9. Liased, leveraged, synergized, and so on with a number Debian people. Gave a talk and BOF on piuparts (with Holger Levsen). Cooked up a bug exchange format proposal with Don Armstrong.
- Attended karmic sprint. Participated in some (e)glibc bug fixing, did some further zsync and debdelta research. Discussed these things with Launchpad team and Colin Watson. cdimage.ubuntu.com now generates .zsync files for ISO images (zsync seems to use much less bandwidth than rsync), and I have a strategy for Packages files and .deb downloads. Launchpad-dev indicates they might have at least Packages.zsync files generated in September.
- Prototyped a way to show kernel oops messages in a compact form that can be decoded by OCR or such, for times when the whole message can't be visible.
- Platform sprint
- Implemented "merge-package" bzr command, see lp:~al-maisan/bzr-builddeb/merge-package
- Started adding tests and polishing the branch for review.
Scott James Remnant