0310

For minutes of previous meetings, please see FoundationsTeam.

Present

Apologies

Agenda

  • Lightning Round
    • 2-4 sentences on current work/roadblocks
  • Outstanding actions from last meeting
  • Outstanding feature freeze exceptions
  • Farming out tasks that aren't being handled
  • Sponsorship queue

  • Any business from activity reports
  • Good news
  • AOB

Outstanding actions from last meeting

Actions from this meeting

  • [ACTION] cjwatson to spec out requirements for a better bug report script based on launchpadlib
  • [ACTION] barry to implement script

Chair for next meeting

  • cjwatson

Lightning Round

Gary Lasker

I've been working on OEM tasks from last Thu through yesterday. Now back to my Software Center todo list, bug fixing and triage, etc. (done)

Scott James Remnant

I rewrote the Plymouth VT handling code, then I rewrote the Plymouth X transition/handover code, then I rewrote bits of various plugins to make them work, then I fixed the binary to remove various race conditions, NOW FETCH ME WIL WHEATON!

Evan Dandrea

mostly ubiquity UI changes after a meeting the other day with the design team (sorry release team), looking into an apt-setup bug whereby if you have a USB disk that exposes a fake CD device, apt-setup fails. (done)

Steve Langasek

continuing work on casper plymouth support; FFes, we have them; working on the supportable-binaries spec (done)

Loic Minier

Was on travel to London; doing a lot of interviews and working on random ARM bugs. (done)

Matthias Klose

vacation last week; now working on llvm updates, preparing icedtea6-1.8 release, python updates to new subminor releases. (done)

James Westby

fixing bugs in bzr-builddeb, still need to get that synced from unstable, chasing failures, and working with LP developers on the build from branch feature. More of the same to come. (done)

Colin Watson

done: parted 2.2; grub 1.98; failed to finish console-setup/plymouth interaction fixes but had a good go at it and should be able to finish in time; blocked: nothing;

todo: partman-base fixes for advanced format drives (doing the hardware setup today); dpkg performance/correctness backports, nearly ready to go; running around like headless chicken fixing bugs for beta 1

Barry Warsaw

Several branches merged for SC ratings and reviews. Still to decide whether we're going to make it. Good discussion on canonical-tech about the url structure for r&r server. Computer Janitor dbus refactoring mostly done, waiting for review. Would love to get minor ui exception to clean the gui of unused elements. Starting implementation work for PEP 3147 today. (done)

Outstanding actions from last meeting

None

Activity reports

Barry Warsaw

Several branches merged for SC ratings and reviews. Still to decide whether we're going to make it. Good discussion on canonical-tech about the url structure for r&r server. Computer Janitor dbus refactoring mostly done, waiting for review. Would love to get minor ui exception to clean the gui of unused elements. Starting implementation work for PEP 3147 today. (done)

Colin Watson

  • Merged: parted, openssh
  • Sponsorship:
    • hostname #523588 (needs more work, bounced).
  • foundations-lucid-gfxboot-update:
    • Implemented gfxboot theme changes, as discussed with design team
      • last week. Spec now complete.
  • Sped up grub-probe filesystem queries by a factor of 10 (#425650).
  • Tried to fix console-setup's Plymouth interaction. Not quite there
    • yet. Sad :-(

  • Miscellaneous kickseed fixes (#419392, #526422).
  • Fix apt-setup CD stanza generation (#527641).
  • Various minor installer bug fixes.

Evan Dandrea

  • UI fixes to ubiquity.
    • Prevent the timezone map from making the installer window massive

by only requesting half its width and height, rather than using a complex and dodgy test to set it to a reasonably large size, given the dimensions of the desktop.

  • Only enable the scrolled view on the user setup page if the

desktop is particularly small (< 600px height)

  • Make the partitioner bars left aligned and thinner.
  • Stop the language selector from resizing every time a new item is selected.
  • Progress bar handling for the partitioning page is now handled by

the page itself. It mostly hides it for the automatic page (showing just a spinning cursor) and uses a GtkSpinner on the main window for the advanced partitioning page. Fixed the ellipsizing of progress messages on the advanced partitioning page.

  • The automatic partitioning page is now shown immediately, rather

than when its contents are ready.

  • The language page's contents is not shown until it's had its text

substituted and translated.

  • Fixed the alignment of elements on the console-setup page.
  • Moved the new live CD greeter concept into ubiquity. We now skip

the isolinux menu unless a key is pressed (thanks to Colin) and into ubiquity, which gives the option to either exit to the live CD session or continue with the install. Moved the alpha warning into this page.

  • Filed a feature freeze exception for all of this.
  • Spent a lot of time tracking down bug #532502, which was causing

the slideshow not to display. This turned out to be a security feature that Google added to Webkit and enabled by default. Fixed by disabling it for the slideshow.

Gary Lasker

Software Center

  • Finished back/forward navigation in "Get Software" section feature
  • Refactored PPAs/channel view code, it's cleaner and much easier
    • to use
  • Added support for Canonical Partners channel
  • Fixed 12 or so bugs, emphasis on fixes needed before UI freeze
  • Bug triage
  • Weekly Software Center call with mpt and mvo

General

  • OEM tasks Thursday, Friday
  • Engineering rotation allocation this week
    • 60% platform, 40% OEM

James Westby

Distributed Development

  • Much the same as last week.
  • Fixing bugs and merging branches for bzr-builddeb.
  • Chasing import failures.
  • Talking with LP developers about build-from-recipe.

Other

  • Archive admin duty.
  • Sponsoring.

Loïc Minier

Matthias Klose

Michael Vogt

Scott James Remnant

  • Six years at Canonical!
  • Further discussion about usb-modeswitch on Ubuntu lists and upstream
  • Multi-touch discussion
  • Plymouth.
    • Started to send patches upstream as I work through the issues.
    • Rewrote the entire VT code of plymouth
    • Rewrote the deactivate/X transition code
  • Debugged issue with OEM where mountall wasn't getting the filesystem
    • event out of the D-Bus socket before exiting
  • Some back/forth with Marc Tardif about generating bootcharts in the
    • Hardware Certification lab

Steve Langasek

Release management

  • Finalize the transition from motu-release to ubuntu-release
  • FFe processing

Packages

  • Upload ubuntu-dev-tools, so requestsync sends FFe requests to the right

place now

  • Fixes to bzr-email, bzr-builddeb

Misc

  • chaired foundations meeting
  • archive admin duties

FoundationsTeam/Meetings/2010/0310 (last edited 2010-03-11 16:10:04 by barry)