slight tweak to implementation of "cleanup" feature
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 36:||Line 36:|
|Look at [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Cleanup the different categories that Wikipedia uses] and learn from them.||Look at [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Cleanup_resources#Cleanup the different categories that Wikipedia uses] and learn from them.|
Created: 13 July 2006 by ["mdke"]
Packages affected: None
This spec aims at introducing features to the documentation wiki (https://help.ubuntu.com/community) to allow greater quality assurance and to inform users about the reliability of the pages they are reading.
The documentation wiki is increasingly important for the development of documentation and in the future might conceivably be the only place that documentation for the Ubuntu project develops. It is also freely editable by anyone. As a result, quality assurance and social control is of vital importance. It is also important that the user gets a good impression of how reliable a particular document is when reading it. Completion of this specification will allow us to present the [https://help.ubuntu.com official documentation] alongside community contributions.
- Jane is looking for information about how to install a program. She finds a page contributed by a community member, but has no way of telling how reliable it is.
- Bill has found a document about using a program, but doesn't know whether it is valid for the version of Ubuntu that he is using.
- Jamie comes across a document which contains some information which doesn't work on his machine, and wants to report it to somebody.
The documentation wiki at https://help.ubuntu.com/community
See discussion [http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.moin.general/3975/focus=3975 on the MoinMoin mailing list]. A solution may be:
- Establish some concrete categories of cleanup that different pages require. Not too many, but enough to encapsulate what we need. For example:
Style - this page needs to be brought in line with the wiki's style guidelines for documentation
Review - this page needs to be reviewed by the documentation team
Update - this page needs to be updated to include information about the latest version of Ubuntu
Unsupported - this page may contain information which is not supported by the Ubuntu developers and may damage your system.
Formatting - this page needs some work to improve its formatting
Expansion - the content on this page is too brief and needs expanding
Look at [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Cleanup_resources#Cleanup the different categories that Wikipedia uses] and learn from them.
Write a macro which responds to (something similar to) [[Cleanup($category,$reason)]] where:
$category is one of the types identified above, and
$reason is a short explanation for including the page in cleanup
- The macro should automatically show a box to the user at the top of the page which includes the reason that the page has been tagged with Cleanup, how to help and how to discuss the issue with the documentation team.
We can then generate lists of pages which have been tagged with this macro by doing a [[FullSearch]] on the text used to call the macro.
- Make it clear to the user what version of Ubuntu a particular document applies to.
Write a simple macro which responds to something like [[Version(5.10,6.06)]]. The macro should show a box to the user at the top of the page which explains which versions the document applies to.
- Make it easy for users to give feedback on the wiki by expanding the use of talk pages and developing a comment box with which users can easily submit comments.
- Figure out how to add a link to the header which takes the user to the talk page of the page they are looking at
- The user should not have to create that page (problematic?)
The talk page should automatically contain the [[PageComment2]] macro, which would do nicely for inserting comments ([http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MacroMarket/PageComment2 homepage]).
- Include links in the standard page layout which allow a user to submit bugs easily.
BoF agenda and discussion
Please feel free to add comments to the ["/talk"] page.