This Ubuntu Ireland Team IRC meeting will be held at 8pm Irish time on Wednesday 18th May 2011, on #ubuntu-ie on FreeNode. Everyone is welcome to attend and to add topics to the agenda (below)
Review of previous action items
Standing agenda item
Ubuntu Hours, Yes/No, if Yes then How?
Meeting started by ebel at 14:06 14:07:04 LINK ebel https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/IRCMeetings/2011-05-18 14:09:40 Topic: Review of previous action items 14:13:53 Topic: June Geeknic 14:19:02 Topic: Ubuntu Hours, Yes/No, if Yes then How? 14:29:42 Topic: LoCo Reapproval 14:30:28 LINK ebel https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/loco-contacts/2011-May/005315.html 14:31:29 LINK ebel https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoCouncil/LoCoTeamReApproval 14:45:51 AGREED ebel we will all try to help our reapproval for it 14:52:07 ACTION ebel tog, dublin meetup 2pm saturday for hackathon to work on reapproval page 14:53:15 Topic: ubuntu cds from tdr112 15:03:21 Topic: AOB? 15:12:06 AGREED ebel next irc meeting 15th june 2011 Meeting ended at 15:12.
Any Other Business
The following topics were raised in the meeting
Started logging meeting in #ubuntu-ie [14:06:42] <ebel> if you're here please say PRESENT so we know who's here please [14:06:45] <ebel> PRESENT [14:06:50] <infoturtle> PRESENT [14:06:50] <imgarysmith> present [14:06:53] <moylan> PRESENT [14:07:04] <ebel> [link] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/IRCMeetings/2011-05-18 [14:07:57] <ebel> airundo can't be here, he has a family emergency [14:08:07] <infoturtle> oh no :c [14:08:41] <infoturtle> hope it's nothing serious [14:09:24] <ebel> but he gave me some notes for his topic items [14:09:32] <ebel> he said it wasn't that serious [14:09:40] <ebel> [topic] Review of previous action items [14:11:03] <ebel> from aiorando: [14:11:05] <ebel> there was only 1 action item last month. [14:11:05] <ebel> April was a quiet meeting [14:11:05] <ebel> The action was "infoturtle to set up events on the wiki and LoCo Dir for the Natty Narwhal Release Party" [14:11:05] <ebel> These events were created and on the website also :) [14:11:05] <ebel> The release party was a lot of fun. Great chat. Low turn out though. [14:11:07] <ebel> As a general idea, unless there are compelling reasons I don't think we should hold release parties on weekdays in the future. [14:11:10] <ebel> Thoughts anyone? [14:11:56] <infoturtle> fri/sat night are more appealing [14:12:02] <moylan> agree. however the notice for the event was a little confusing. it said the trinity hotel in big letter at 8 and jimmy chungs buried in the text of the notice. [14:12:23] <moylan> it was wort a try for the weekday though. [14:12:29] <moylan> *worth [14:12:41] <ebel> yep [14:12:59] <ebel> live and learn [14:13:11] <infoturtle> my fault I beleive, sorry about that [14:13:42] <ebel> ah well [14:13:48] <ebel> next section [14:13:53] <ebel> [TOPIC] June Geeknic [14:13:53] <ebel> We agreed to have a geeknic both in June and August of thies year duriung our February meeting. [14:13:53] <ebel> In part, this was an attempt to get away from the cold, wet May and September geeknics of recent years. [14:13:53] <ebel> I sent an e-mail to the mailing list about this at the end of April to get the ball rolloing. [14:13:53] <ebel> The idea of a 11 Jun 11 geeknic in Limerick in conjunction with the 3DCamp takling place at UL on that day has gained a lot of support. [14:13:54] <ebel> Does anyone know if the 3DCamp guys are OK with this? [14:13:56] <ebel> I proposed Limerick as the location for this geeknic on the mailing list and I received no negative feedback. [14:13:59] <ebel> Can we agree on UL Limerick as the venue for a Geeknic on 11 jun 11? [14:14:01] <ebel> Infoturtle, tdr112 can you guys liaise with UL to make sure all is OK for this? [14:14:14] <infoturtle> we have a meeting about it next week at the UH [14:14:51] <infoturtle> it's going to leave things short but people aggreed on the date to be the 26th to talk about it [14:15:24] <ebel> cool [14:15:40] <infoturtle> so for now nothing else can be said on the matter [14:15:43] <ebel> cool [14:15:49] <ebel> well keep us infomed :) [14:15:53] <infoturtle> will do! [14:15:54] <ebel> thanks [14:15:55] <tdr112> hello [14:16:48] <ebel> 'lo [14:16:51] <tdr112> they fine with it [14:17:08] <ebel> cool [14:17:15] <tdr112> but i think who ever is taking point on this should talk to them and keep them uyp to date [14:17:35] <tdr112> and hammer out the details with them [14:17:50] <ebel> infoturtle: that would be you, right? [14:18:01] <infoturtle> like I said there's next weeks meeting and then I can let everone know when I come home from it [14:18:08] <ebel> ah yes [14:18:12] <infoturtle> :D [14:18:23] <infoturtle> sorry if that sounded narky, didn't intend that [14:18:40] * ebel is on a phone call aswell so not paying 100% attention! :P [14:18:54] <ebel> another one from airurando [TOPIC] Ubuntu Hours, Yes/No, if Yes then How? [14:18:56] * infoturtle playing poker tournament [14:19:02] <ebel> [TOPIC] Ubuntu Hours, Yes/No, if Yes then How? [14:19:12] <ebel> I suppose there are 2 UHs is Ireland and they should be dealth with seperately. [14:19:12] <ebel> There has been a lot of discussion concerning the usefulness and continuation of UH Dublin over recent months. [14:19:12] <ebel> Some hold the view that it is a similar event that clashes with the broader Linux PoTD event. [14:19:12] <ebel> I don't agree fully with this, My understanding of UH it that should provide an open environment where anyone can come and chat/learn about Ubuntu. [14:19:12] <ebel> I see PoTD as an opportunity for Geeks to Geek out. [14:19:16] <ebel> However, I do acknowledge that, on the surface, holding UH Dublin on an evening in a pub is similar enough to PoTD to cause concern. [14:19:19] <ebel> To me, the more worrying concern about UH Dublin is that attendance has been poor and dropping off. [14:19:21] <ebel> Rarely have we seen new faces at the event over the last 6 months. [14:19:23] <ebel> I am not sure why this is. [14:19:25] <ebel> bad promotion? [14:19:27] <ebel> lack of public interest? [14:19:29] <ebel> UH is not interesting enough? [14:19:31] <ebel> wrong time and place? [14:19:33] <ebel> loads of possibilities and probabilities. [14:19:35] <ebel> During one of the many discussions about UH Dublin slashtom suggested we change from a pub to a coffee shop. [14:19:38] <ebel> slashtom also suggested we change to a weekend morning/afternoon. [14:19:40] <ebel> moylan suggested that perhaps monthly is too frequently for us. [14:19:42] <ebel> If memory serves moylan thought sometime on a Sunday would be best. [14:19:46] <ebel> maybe we should hold it every 2 months or quarterly? [14:19:48] <ebel> What do folks think? [14:19:50] <ebel> Drop it or change format? [14:19:52] <ebel> I like what slashtom and moylan had to say on this. [14:19:54] <ebel> I suggest Saturday morning/early afternoon (11ish) in a big city centre coffee shop every second or third month. [14:19:57] <ebel> Is there anyone here to discuss UH Limerick? [14:19:59] <ebel> Limerick one is a separate discussion I reckon. [14:20:01] <ebel> (all this is from airurando, not me :P ) [14:20:12] <moylan> airuando and i were talking about holding it more in a location were you can bring a laptop and try/show the os. [14:20:27] <ebel> i like the idea of a saturday thing [14:20:36] <ebel> let's try something new! lunchtime ubuntu hour! [14:20:48] <infoturtle> oooooooooo [14:20:49] <moylan> just need to find a quiet central location to do it. [14:20:52] <infoturtle> that sound fun! [14:20:58] <imgarysmith> i agree with a satuday at lunch time, or even 3pm say [14:21:03] <ebel> some café? [14:21:58] <airurando> hi everyone, sorry I'm late [14:22:08] <infoturtle> not to worry [14:22:09] <moylan> all well? [14:22:09] <ebel> hi airurando, no apology needed! [14:22:14] <tdr112> i would like to drop it every month , i think we will leave it up to people to call one if they like to [14:22:14] <infoturtle> just discussing the UH's [14:22:35] <airurando> moylan thanks yeah [14:22:39] <airurando> ah?Uk [14:22:40] <tdr112> ie i call one thins sunday at x time in someplace [14:22:44] <imgarysmith> quarterly sounds good to me [14:22:56] <airurando> *UH [14:23:14] <moylan> makes it more of an event [14:25:04] <ebel> cool [14:25:54] <ebel> so 2 proposals: monthly lunchtime weekend, or ad-hoc... [14:26:20] <airurando> third quarterly weekend [14:26:27] <infoturtle> ^^ [14:26:34] <ebel> yes [14:26:38] <tdr112> lets not set it in stone [14:26:51] <infoturtle> I think that idea floats well but I don't attend these so.... [14:27:01] <ebel> i'd suggest ad-hoc at first to see what happens. [14:27:07] <moylan> agree [14:27:11] <airurando> I agree with trd112 but I don't want it to drift into oblivion [14:27:19] <ebel> requiring someone to 'call'/'organise' it might spur people [14:27:37] <ebel> (which might increase participation) [14:27:48] <airurando> sounds like a plan [14:28:05] <airurando> vote or agree? [14:28:16] * ebel is tempted to table this topic for the moment and move to the re-approval topic [14:28:23] <ebel> before we get all distracted and tired... [14:28:41] * infoturtle quite distracted as it stands [14:28:58] <airurando> leave it as tdr112 suggested [14:29:08] <ebel> (well to postpone this topic for the moment) [14:29:27] <airurando> OK [14:29:32] <ebel> (we'll come back to it later) [14:29:41] <ebel> Limerick one is a separate discussion I reckon. [14:29:42] <ebel> [TOPIC] LoCo Reapproval [14:29:42] <ebel> This is closing in fast on us. Need to get the reapproval page son up soon. [14:29:42] <ebel> Has ebel gotten the e-mail yet? [14:29:51] <ebel> yes I have got an email about reapproval [14:30:06] <ebel> I've been subscribed to a private bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-locoteams/+bug/784671 about it [14:30:07] <lubotu3> Error: Launchpad(https://launchpad.net) bug 784671 not found [14:30:24] <ebel> this is a message on the loco-contacts about re-approvals: [14:30:28] <ebel> [link] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/loco-contacts/2011-May/005315.html [14:30:39] <ebel> (there are a few relevant replies) [14:30:59] <ebel> Looks like they really want team reports and we all owe thanks to tdr112 for looking after that! [14:31:01] <ebel> good man! [14:31:20] <infoturtle> koodoo's sir! [14:31:25] <airurando> yes indeed [14:31:29] <ebel> [link] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoCouncil/LoCoTeamReApproval [14:31:35] <ebel> this is stuff we need to do [14:31:44] <tdr112> well it my not big deal and a thanks should go out to airurando for doing it last month when i was busy [14:32:08] <airurando> twas nothing [14:32:18] <airurando> just filling a small gap [14:32:28] <ebel> cheers! [14:32:38] <ebel> I started working on a reaproval page [14:32:53] <infoturtle> wait [14:33:02] <infoturtle> what have we to do for reaprovial? [14:33:21] <ebel> (however i have not yet fully read/digested that stuff from loco-council) [14:33:41] <ebel> (as you know we get the CDs & Banner cause we're an approved loco, so we should keep this up) [14:33:45] <imgarysmith> sorry guys, gtg for a few [14:34:19] <infoturtle> I understand why, but whatmust we do to get it? [14:34:26] <infoturtle> the aproval [14:34:28] <czajkowski> just prove we';re active [14:34:30] <czajkowski> do stuff [14:34:33] <czajkowski> for Ubuntu [14:34:39] <czajkowski> not a lug [14:34:45] <ebel> 'ello czajkowski [14:34:46] <infoturtle> ah! [14:34:55] <czajkowski> but something that promotes Ubuntu like ubuntu hours, geeknicks, meetings [14:34:59] <czajkowski> active community [14:35:00] <czajkowski> ebel: aloha [14:35:40] <tdr112> hey cztab [14:35:40] <airurando> our current method of CD distribution is a good plus I reckon. [14:35:50] <czajkowski> airurando: aye [14:36:04] <infoturtle> dropped some down to miLKlabs last night [14:36:13] <czajkowski> great [14:36:31] <ebel> czajkowski started of this page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/IrishTeamReApprovalApplication [14:36:43] <ebel> and i added some stuff w.r.t. why we should get reapproved [14:36:55] <ebel> trying to point out things we said we'd do that we did do, and things we kept doing [14:37:11] <ebel> we shall have to look at this again in light of the guidelines from the loco-council [14:37:25] <ebel> AFAIK there is no date for our reapproval meeting [14:37:45] <czajkowski> there is no date as such [14:37:47] <airurando> I think links to the events and meetings wiki pages are required [14:37:49] <ebel> It should be on european time, and would be helpful if we could get as many people there as possible [14:37:52] <czajkowski> but we'd love to get them in sooner [14:37:56] <czajkowski> rather than in october [14:38:05] <ebel> partially to 'cheerlead' and also to prove that it's not just one person [14:38:17] * airurando will be there [14:38:28] <czajkowski> I'll also be there to cheer lead on [14:38:33] <airurando> whenever it is [14:38:41] <czajkowski> and not voting as a member of the council [14:39:01] <infoturtle> I can be there too [14:39:05] <ebel> czajkowski: i shall order a fresh kitten to your house if we don't get it :P [14:39:14] <czajkowski> lol [14:39:18] <airurando> facts and figures would be good [14:39:19] <czajkowski> be nice [14:39:20] <infoturtle> on the topic anyone want some kittens?# [14:39:25] <czajkowski> I'll also go over the application [14:39:40] <airurando> team members then and now [14:39:47] <ebel> we should flesh out the reapproval application and add links for our events & things [14:39:53] <airurando> mailing list subscribers then and not [14:40:08] <ebel> correct me if i'm wrong czajkowski, but proof esp. photos helps our case a lot, right? [14:40:41] <ebel> i.e. "Here's ubuntu-ie at this release party", "Here we are doing this". "This is the mailing list announcment for that bug jam", "here's a list of all our team reports" etc. [14:40:50] <czajkowski> ebel: yes [14:40:54] <airurando> our participation in Global Jams [14:41:02] <airurando> 2 venues last time [14:41:04] <czajkowski> PHOTOS make us happy [14:41:17] <czajkowski> team reports which we;re damn good at [14:41:35] <airurando> links to photos appear on the wiki events pages [14:41:39] <moylan> central location for those photos? i have some from various events that could thrown up. [14:41:54] <airurando> moylan: pic.ie [14:42:00] <airurando> ahhh pix.ie [14:42:11] <moylan> tickety boo. i'll hunt them out and stick em up. [14:42:12] <infoturtle> there'll be a few at the Limerick UH next week, I'll exploit that for a few pics [14:42:37] <airurando> moylan I shall send you on the login details [14:42:41] <moylan> ta [14:43:01] <moylan> firstname.lastname@example.org if you want email [14:43:40] <ebel> cool [14:43:48] <ebel> so we all need to work at all the parts of it [14:43:53] <ebel> find/upload photos [14:44:03] <ebel> edit that wiki page with links to stuff [14:44:17] <airurando> particularly for events that have none yet. [14:44:18] <moylan> may take a while. between computers at the mo so data is slightly scattered. [14:44:36] <czajkowski> well when folks are happy mail me and I can go over it [14:44:40] <czajkowski> or nab me here [14:44:43] <czajkowski> it wont take long [14:44:51] <czajkowski> few hours really [14:44:55] <ebel> yeo [14:45:03] <czajkowski> and we can submit ours sooner rather than later [14:45:07] <ebel> *yep [14:45:42] <airurando> moylan: see pm [14:45:47] <tdr112> how about we have a meet up for it [14:45:51] <ebel> [agreed] we will all try to help our reapproval for it [14:45:52] <tdr112> this weekend ? [14:46:08] <tdr112> anyone irc or in person [14:46:11] <ebel> tdr112: like a hack-day? [14:46:19] <czajkowski> I am [14:46:23] <airurando> tdr112 all going well at home I'm game [14:46:27] <tdr112> yepto get all the info together we need [14:46:28] <czajkowski> all day saturday [14:46:32] <infoturtle> I can do IRC but can't afford a trip to Dublin [14:46:57] <tdr112> ok this weekend sat or sun [14:47:02] * ebel agrees in principal, but doubts he'll be up for much at the weekend [14:47:11] * ebel is knackered from trip away etc. [14:47:30] <moylan> voip for those who can't make a physical meeting? [14:47:47] <tdr112> well if anyone wants to do it in person they can meet me in tog and the rest of you we can chat on irc [14:48:04] <tdr112> moylan: dont know about voip , [14:48:35] <moylan> not really sure it works well. i've tried rpg when my health is iffy but others may have had more success. [14:49:00] <tdr112> how does Sat sound from say 2pm ? [14:49:22] <airurando> sounds fine [14:49:48] <czajkowski> ok [14:50:13] <moylan> i'll try and make it to tog. [14:50:33] <tdr112> ok i will be in tog for it and email the list with the details [14:50:54] <tdr112> moylan: its been a while , come on down [14:51:08] <ebel> ok [14:51:08] <tdr112> and open invite to anyone else [14:51:33] <tdr112> can someone tell the bot that action [14:52:00] <airurando> ebel? [14:52:07] <ebel> [action] tog, dublin meetup 2pm saturday for hackathon to work on reapproval page [14:53:03] <ebel> cool [14:53:15] <ebel> [topic] ubuntu cds from tdr112 [14:53:44] <tdr112> airurando: can you give us a run down of the great work you did [14:53:50] <tdr112> with thecds [14:53:53] <tdr112> cds [14:54:32] <airurando> With the end of the academic year looming speed of dispatch was critical. [14:54:32] <airurando> Only NUIG kindly asked not to receive CDs because they did not feel it would be the best use of those CDs. [14:54:32] <airurando> UCD still haven't gotten back to me. [14:54:32] <airurando> All else dispatched via post with a special hand delivery to infoturtle for distribution at Milklabs and the June Geeknic. [14:54:33] <airurando> 40 or so Desktop CDs remain with x Server and y Kubuntu. I would reckon up to 20 for UCD [14:55:16] <tdr112> airurando: i got the tog ones , opening them now [14:55:46] <tdr112> so of these 40 left , what do we want to do with them [14:55:58] <tdr112> or 20 left [14:56:06] <tdr112> any ideas [14:56:33] <czajkowski> the limerick learning hub ? [14:56:40] <infoturtle> a gaint disco ball is about the only thing I can think of other that UH and stuff [14:56:47] <infoturtle> oh good idea! [14:56:58] <infoturtle> could walk over there soon [14:57:16] <czajkowski> I could also blog it [14:57:21] <czajkowski> if someone wants to send me details [14:57:27] <czajkowski> will go on planet Ubuntu [14:57:35] <czajkowski> and will get word out to irish readers more... [14:58:04] <infoturtle> well what details are needed, just the number of cd's is it? [14:58:13] <czajkowski> who to contact [14:58:18] <czajkowski> and how to get one off the team [14:58:25] <airurando> I'll e-mail czajkowski [14:58:32] <czajkowski> ok [14:58:43] <airurando> I've sent a few out to individuals as well [14:58:49] <ebel> ok [14:58:58] <airurando> and I'm sending a couple to a school tomorrow [14:59:14] <airurando> so I think a trickle for the remaining ones might be good. [14:59:17] <infoturtle> email@example.com if you want people to get in contact with me about some [14:59:22] <airurando> Individual requests [14:59:22] <czajkowski> kep some for the geeknic ? [14:59:25] <czajkowski> for 3dcamp [14:59:30] <infoturtle> have some here for it [14:59:31] <airurando> done [14:59:35] <czajkowski> coolio [14:59:48] <airurando> hand delivered czajkowski [15:00:07] <infoturtle> well you used a car aswell... [15:00:07] <czajkowski> :) [15:00:19] <airurando> some for milklabs gone down also and nexus cork [15:00:40] <czajkowski> maybe mail ILUG and CLUG ? [15:00:43] <czajkowski> not sure [15:00:45] <czajkowski> up to ye [15:01:08] <airurando> I've used microblogging with some success [15:01:17] <czajkowski> airurando: good stuff [15:01:29] <czajkowski> wh=ich reminds me I've 2 AOBs :D [15:01:40] <airurando> Would ILUG be a good audience? [15:01:41] <infoturtle> I've info send out too but with little intrest [15:02:06] <infoturtle> what's an AOB? [15:02:24] <czajkowski> might be someone on there who might actually want a live cd [15:02:25] <airurando> any other business [15:02:28] <czajkowski> to have to show to others? [15:02:30] <czajkowski> dunnno [15:02:34] <czajkowski> infoturtle: any other business [15:02:44] <ebel> ok, we done with cds? [15:02:49] <airurando> I'll e-mail ILUG so [15:03:18] <ebel> ok [15:03:21] <ebel> [topic] AOB? [15:03:24] <tdr112> i will do a post on the tog blog about getting them and link to the ubuntu-ie site [15:03:49] <tdr112> so did i miss it or is someone taking point on the 3dcamp thing [15:04:19] <infoturtle> I'll relay info from the meeting next week [15:04:26] <infoturtle> on the matter [15:04:32] <tdr112> ah ok good stuff [15:04:48] <czajkowski> 2 things [15:05:48] <czajkowski> 1) more ubuntu member - would love to see tdr112 and airurando go for it [15:05:51] <czajkowski> means more blog posting [15:06:06] <infoturtle> I was going to ask for links on how to go for it [15:06:11] <czajkowski> 2) if anyone wants info of events or about events blogged tell me I;ll do it on mine [15:06:29] <ebel> cool [15:07:04] <tdr112> well i am going to get my wiki page in order next week and then apply [15:07:19] <ebel> cool! good luck. [15:07:28] * ebel shall have to write a testimonial [15:07:59] * airurando is still shy but some day definitely [15:08:05] <infoturtle> how do you get set up for it? [15:09:03] <ebel> infoturtle: create a wikipage explaining why you should get it [15:09:14] <ebel> there's a list of meetings, then put your name down. [15:09:34] <ebel> twould be great to have more ubuntu members,. [15:09:34] <airurando> infoturtle see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership [15:09:54] <infoturtle> fantastic! thanks! [15:10:18] <ebel> any other topics? [15:10:45] <airurando> next meeting [15:11:19] <airurando> 15 Jun 11. [15:11:31] <ebel> sounds good [15:11:59] <tdr112> sounds grand [15:12:06] <ebel> [agreed] next irc meeting 15th june 2011 [15:12:28] <airurando> thats all from me [15:12:39] <moylan> works for me, great meeting! [15:12:45] <ebel> cool [15:12:49] <ebel> #endmeeting Meeting ended.