ReApproval Application 2017 for Japanese LoCo Team (ubuntu-jp)
Date - 22 June 2017
Team Contact - Jun Kobayashi
Membership - 12 active core members and tens of volunteers as of 22 June 2017.
Mailing List - ubuntu-jp on lists.ubuntu.com with 2722 members as of 19 July 2011.
IRC - #ubuntu-jp on Freenode
Launchpad Page - https://launchpad.net/~japaneseteam
Web Site - http://www.ubuntulinux.jp
Web Forum - https://forums.ubuntulinux.jp
Wiki Site - https://wiki.ubuntulinux.jp
Spread Ubuntu in Japan - Increase the number of Japanese users involved in the Ubuntu community.
- Continue to organize regional meetings.
- Attend local FLOSS conferences four or more times per year.
- Write articles on local magazines and web sites.
- Advise more companies which plan to use Ubuntu for business.
- Hold a release party.
IRC Meetings - Continue to organise ondemand IRC meetings.
Make Ubuntu better for Japanese users - Translate more applications, improve Japanese display and input support, and work to build up and provide a better Japanese language environment.
- Maintain jp.archive.ubuntu.com to make Japanese users update their ubuntu system comfortably.
- Continue to create and distribute Japanese Remix Desktop DVD images which supports Japanese lang packs even in live session.
- and continue efforts to reduce differencies between Official Imange and Japanese Remix
Better relation ships with other FOSS communities - Expand cooperative ties with other Ubuntu and FOSS comunities.
- Maintain cooperation with Debian JP Project.
Deepen exchanges with other FLOSS communities including LibreOffice, etc.
Deepen exchanges with Ubuntu users in other countries
Encourage more of the Japanese LoCo Team members to become Ubuntu Members.
Experiences from 16 July 2015 to 22 June 2017.
Meetings - We organized events for Ubuntu users.
Conference Attendance - We have held and attended following conferences.
Open Source Conference 2015 Kansai@Kyoto; booth participation
Open Source Conference 2015 Tokyo/Fall; booth participation
Open Source Conference 2016 Tokyo/Spring; booth participation
Open Source Conference 2016 Gunma; booth participation
Open Source Conference 2016 Hokkaido; booth participation
Open Source Conference 2016 Okinawa; booth participation
Open Source Conference 2016 Kyoto; booth participation
Open Source Conference 2016 Tokyo/Fall; booth participation
Open Source Conference 2016 Hiroshima; booth participation
Open Source Conference 2017 Tokyo/Spring; booth participation
Meetings with organizations - We have talked about Ubuntu with some companies which are considering using Ubuntu for their business.
Ondemand IRC Meeting - We organize meetings in #ubuntu-jp on irc.freenode.net every Tuesday (13:00 UTC / 22:00 JST).
Ubuntu Kaizen Project - We manage the Ubuntu Kaizen Project to handle bugs submitted in Japanese.
Japanese Ubuntu articles - We have written articles for following papers and online local magazines
Ubuntu Weekly Recipe / weekly
- Serialized in 476 articles as of 22 June 2017. (from July 2015: around +100 articles)
Ubuntu Weekly Topics / weekly
- Serialized in around 450 articles as of 22 June 2017 (from July 2015: around +100 articles).
"Ubuntu Monthly Report" SoftwareDesign - has been serialized since May 2010, and continues today. (from July 2015: +24 articles)
"Software Design"(May 2016) About Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- "The Advantage of Ubuntu" by Mizuno Hajime
- "Changes of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS" by Mitsuya Shibata
- "The comparisons of flavours" by Ikuya Awashiro
- "Juju, MAAS and LXD; Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS" by Fumihito Yoshida
"All About Ubuntu 16.04 LTS" Nikkei Linux 2016/05 written by Ubuntu Japanese Team
"Software Design"(Aug 2016) About apt packaging system written by Mitsuya Shibata
Japanese Ubuntu Books - Our member wrote some books in Japanese. You can purchase in Japanese book stores and/or amazon.co.jp.
Japanese Remix CDs/DVDs - We create and distribute Japanese Remix Desktop DVDs for each release of Ubuntu.
- For all releases, we translated release note:
Archive/Release mirrors - We maintain archive mirrors in Japan with help of some organizations.