Kbfx 0.5 Menu Proposal Review
We will still provide the 2column construct, as implemented in KBFX 0.4.9.x. However, we want to further improve it and make it more flexible by this means:
- The first column will take plugins to display e.g.
Make visually clear the separation of Application categories and other functions/plugins
- o The menu categories o The installed volumes / usb-sticks / cameras or a button that displays it in the 2nd column o The button to open the buddies list in the 2nd column o A button to display RSS feeds in the 2nd column o Further own or 3rd party plugins o Preferred applications o Last used / most used applications o Search results
- The second column will display the elements delivered by the active plugin in the 1st column
- Subcategories are grouped at the top of the 2nd column. A click on one of them empties the elements list and fills it with the elements of the respective subcategory
I think we shouldn't use subcategories. Categories are enough. Most people don't use so many applications so as to need two levels of hierarchy
- A right click on an element will move the following elements down and insert smaller bars for calling the methods that are delivered to the element and element container, e.g.
- o Add a new element to the category o Remove the element of the category o Edit the properties of the element, e.g. Display Name, Description, Icon etc...
- The 2 columns will have their Scroll Arrows „Up“ and „Down“ at their respective top / bottom
- The user can define, whether the menu size is increased, if more elements exist than can be displayed
- o Resize until full height of the Desktop o Resize until xxx (user definition) Elements are displayed o Don't resize at all, just use scroll
However, we want to make the menu more flexible, by e.g.
- Enhancing the capabilities of the find box (beagle like?)
- Making the find box more intuitive (search button and run button, so a user can define whether he wants to have the string interpreted as command, or as search criteria)
we can use both at the same time. filter elements while the user types and execute commands if he press enter
- Giving the user the possibility to add „in-menu-panels“ to place icons on it for quick-start
- Providing the possibility, to hook further plugins on it
- Providing the possibility to resize the column widths and the button seizes for categories and Elements
- Providing the possibility to „stick“ the menu, so that it will only close after the start button is pressed another time.
- Providing the possibility to define for each of the category elements, whether their contents are displayed as buttons like before, or as a tree in the right column