Please check the status of this specification in Launchpad before editing it. If it is Approved, contact the Assignee or another knowledgeable person before making changes.
Launchpad Entry: hardy-kernel-version
Packages affected: linux-source
Decision on whether to use 2.6.24 or 2.6.23 for Hardy 8.04 LTS release. Decision will be based on:
- Features in 2.6.23 that may be too new or unstable for use in an LTS.
- Features in 2.6.24 ""
- Features in 2.6.24 that are desirable enough to warrant its usage even given other undesirable features/bugs.
- What other distributions are using (gives us more effort to long term support)
UbuntuMobile concerns (ABI bumps, third-party module support)
Changes in upstream
2.6.23 changes - http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_23
Reasons for 2.6.24:
- Full mac80211 stack being merged
- SDIO merge, required for lpia
- Lots of wireless drivers being merged: 3945/4965
- b43 driver (replaces bcm43xx) sucks less
- Dynamic tick support for x86_64
- Follows our past kernel version selection
Reasons for 2.6.23:
- We like physical abuse
- More time to stabilize
- Less of a moving target for MID/Mobile
- Easier to get Xen/RealTime type patches into kernel build sooner
- Easier for third-party module vendors to start developing/testing for 8.04
Booting your computer
That 2.6.24 will be released in time for us to stabilize. Based on past release schedules, we expect 2.6.24 to be released mid to late Jan. Latest expectation is around start of Feb.
Using 2.6.23, the kernel source would be immediately based on released source. Using 2.6.24, we would follow upstream as we have before, rebasing on a scheduled basis.
We ought to have one of every wireless chipset that is supported in main line kernel.
- - Try to use Rutgers' infrastructure for wireless testing? (Luis Rodriguez?)
Release schedule depends on this decision.
BoF agenda and discussion
Use this section to take notes during the BoF; if you keep it in the approved spec, use it for summarising what was discussed and note any options that were rejected.