Meeting Minutes

IRC Log of the meeting.
Meeting minutes.


20100824 Meeting Agenda

ARM Status

  • Marvel (mvl-dove)
    • FIXED : ABI bumping and module checking errors after the branch sync'ed with LSP 5.3.2
    • MISC : Discussion of moving forward mvl-dove branch into Maverick
  • Freescale (fsl-imx51)
    • Nothing new this week
  • Texas Instruments (ti-omap)
    • MISC : lag's Panda is broken - awaiting replacement from davidm
    • MISC : Still waiting for TI to release L24.9 to us
    • FIXED : B591941 work around applied - working on correct fix
    • FIXED : B608266 GPMC was not initialized before accessing NAND
    • FIXED : B608279 now able to read the EDID from userspace
    • RESUMED : B563650 problem can be reproduced on latest 2.6.35-18 with non-UNR file system
    • ON GOING : B605488 still unable to reproduce - will test on full-build when new HW arrives
    • ON GOING : B517841 KEXEC support broken - need to backport some upstream patches to Maverick
    • ON GOING : B588243 Oops from TI's DSS driver - waiting for upstream merge the fixing patch

Release Metrics:

Release Meeting Bugs (4 bugs, 9 Blueprints)

Beta Milestoned Bugs (31 across all packages (down 1))

  • 2 linux kernel bugs (down 2)
  • 0 linux-fsl-imx51 bugs (no change)
  • 0 linux-ec2 bugs (no change)
  • 0 linux-mvl-dove bugs (no change)
  • 0 linux-ti-omap bugs (no change)
  • 0 linux-meta-ti-omap bug (no change)

Release Targeted Bugs (128 across all packages (up 4))

  • 17 linux kernel bugs (down 6)
  • 1 linux-fsl-imx51 bugs (up 1)
  • 0 linux-ec2 bugs (no change)
  • 2 linux-mvl-dove bugs (no change)
  • 1 linux-ti-omap bugs (down 1)
  • 0 linux-meta-ti-omap bug (no change)

Milestoned Features

  • 14 blueprints (Including HWE Blueprints)

Bugs with Patches Attached:119 (down 3)

Blueprint: kernel-maverick-apparmor

No change from last week

Blueprint: kernel-maverick-pv-ops-ec2-kernel

Other than that pv-grub and pv-ops are real nice

Blueprint: kernel-maverick-bug-handling

Nothing to report. Lots in the wings to be finished soon.

Status: Maverick

Our Maverick kernel is now rebased to v2.6.35.3 and uploaded as linux-2.6.35-18.24. We've also most notably dropped support for ia64 and sparc per the Tech Board decision.

Maverick Beta is Thurs Sept 2nd, ie ~1week away. Beta Freeze is this Thurs, so I'll be uploading our Beta kernel today. Also, keep in mind that Kernel Freeze is Thurs Sept 16th, ie ~3weeks away. Remember after Kernel Freeze, we transition to our SRU policy in order to apply patches to Maverick.

We are above our Beta burn down chart's trend line but below our overall trend line for the cycle. I'll be following up with individuals who have open work items to see if we can close any out.

Security & bugfix kernels - Karmic/Jaunty/Intrepid/Hardy/Others





Dapper: Kernel


Hardy: Kernel



Jaunty: Kernel


Karmic: Kernel




0/ 4

= mvl-dove




0/ 4

= fsl-imx51


= ec2




0/ 4

Lucid: Kernel




0/ 2




= mvl-dove



= fsl-imx51


= ti-omap


= ec2


New security release was done (currently trying to figure out a Hardy regression in Xen that was caused by that).

Uploads to proposed have been re-done for Karmic and Lucid. The uploads for Lucid-LBM and Lucid-mvl-dove still pending acceptance.

One regression fix from Lucid proposed have been moved into the security update as the severity was high enough.

The security update for Lucid-fsl-imx51 included all proposed patches in order to prevent any further bricking issues with babbage2.5 boards.

Incoming Bugs: Regressions

324 Maverick Bugs (up 72) 915 Lucid Bugs (up 29) Current regression stats (broken down by release):


  • 158 maverick bugs (up 32)
  • 159 lucid bugs (up 2: to be converted to regression-release)


  • 42 lucid bugs (up 7)
  • 6 karmic bugs (no change)
  • 4 jaunty bugs (no change)
  • 0 hardy bug (down 1)


  • 156 lucid bugs (up 1)
  • 38 karmic bugs (down 1)
  • 17 jaunty bugs (down 1)
  • 2 hardy bugs (no change)


  • 4 lucid bugs (up 1)
  • 1 karmic bug (no change)

Incoming Bugs: Bug day report

Today's focus is on bugs with patches. I'll be reviewing them to ensure that there is a patch actually attached. Per Pete, there will then be a review of the bugs to see if the patch has already been included or if it is sufficient to be included. This process will be getting further defined once I submit my rough plan to Pete for how to complete the review and inclusion of patches in the future. The next bug day will be next Tuesday. We will be focusing on bugs in the confirmed state and working to move them either into incomplete or triaged states. We will continue to have the Team Bug Day to address the Top 50 list as half days on Friday and Monday, as these seem to be working out very well. Reviewers, please take a look at your needs-review lists and help us keep the process moving. Please also take ownership of your bugs as you work them so we can get them fixed or otherwise off the list.

Triage Status

I'm getting pinged by the Ubuntu Studio folks who are concerned about whether the realtime kernels will be available for Maverick. I was in Oxford last week, so I don't have much on this yet. I'd be interested to hear if any of you encountered any triagers or their questions over the last week. realtime or preempt kernels that is

This will be dealt with off-line with the responsible developers.

Open Discussion or Questions

Leann will be chairing next week's IRC meeting.

KernelTeam/Meeting/2010-08-24 (last edited 2010-08-24 17:53:56 by brad-figg)