← Revision 9 as of 2011-09-16 14:19:05
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 40:||Line 40:|
|This should not have any impact on the release notes.||New features implemented this cycle:
* wmi: check for known GUIDs
* s3power: check power loss during suspend.
* Add unique IDs for failed tests messages.
* s3/s4 device quiescence checking.
* Bootable ISO image (non-desktop, so works for server checking)
* tested against thousands of bug reports
* stability - many bug fixes.
* fully document tool: [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Reference/fwts|https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Reference/fwts]]
|Line 44:||Line 53:|
|Need to extend the test suite to cater for new uEFI firmware.
== Assumptions ==
== Design ==
You can have subsections that better describe specific parts of the issue.
|Need to extend the test suite to cater for new UEFI firmware.|
|Line 56:||Line 59:|
|== Unresolved issues ==||== Unresolved issues (as of 16/09/2011) ==|
|Line 58:||Line 61:|
|This should highlight any issues that should be addressed in further specifications, and not problems with the specification itself; since any specification with problems cannot be approved.||The original plan was to port the fwts framework to UEFI and plug in UEFI specific tests. However, we now see that the BITS project may be a good platform to get a grub2 UEFI bootable image to plug in UEFI specific protocol tests. This has been postponed for Oneiric and should be re-visitied for Oneiric+1.|
Launchpad Entry: hwe-o-fwts-enhancements
While the first 10 months of development of the Firmware Test Suite provided a reasonable first-cut of the tool, there are some short comings and features need to be enhanced to make the tool even better at identifying BIOS/firmware issues.
Items for discussion:
- Ways to get greater adoption of fwts - what can we do better?
- Deficiencies and issues with current version
- Features that need including.
Some work items were not included in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty which have been postponed to 11.10:
Create a basic BIOS tracking working/broken features against vendor, version Identify ACPI errors in the kernel log and report them via apport.
And some feature requests for 11.10 are as follows:
- Better UEFI support.
- Improved SMBIOS checking.
- Catching IRQ mis-routing issues.
- Automated kernel error message extraction to help keep klog test in sync with kernel.
- Need to target fwts on the server side, so build bootable image without the need for a desktop.
- Dump/validate EFI_SYSTEM_TABLE (signature 0x5453595320494249)
And for discussion:
Integration/Usage with checkbox like test tools and general QA usage
Identifying BIOS/ACPI/UEFI issues recorded in LaunchPad and constructing tests to check for these.
New features implemented this cycle:
- wmi: check for known GUIDs
- s3power: check power loss during suspend.
- Add unique IDs for failed tests messages.
- s3/s4 device quiescence checking.
- Bootable ISO image (non-desktop, so works for server checking)
- tested against thousands of bug reports
- stability - many bug fixes.
fully document tool: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Reference/fwts
Need to extend the test suite to cater for new UEFI firmware.
This section should describe a plan of action (the "how") to implement the changes discussed. Could include subsections like:
Unresolved issues (as of 16/09/2011)
The original plan was to port the fwts framework to UEFI and plug in UEFI specific tests. However, we now see that the BITS project may be a good platform to get a grub2 UEFI bootable image to plug in UEFI specific protocol tests. This has been postponed for Oneiric and should be re-visitied for Oneiric+1.
BoF agenda and discussion
Use this section to take notes during the BoF; if you keep it in the approved spec, use it for summarising what was discussed and note any options that were rejected.