Please check the status of this specification in Launchpad before editing it. If it is Approved, contact the Assignee or another knowledgeable person before making changes.
Launchpad Entry: LiveCDCreator
This spec proposes a set of tools and graphical user interface to create and maintain custom Ubuntu LiveCDs.
Currently we do not have an acceptable way for end users to create Ubuntu LiveCDs. LiveCD customization based on the existing Ubuntu LiveCD requires a user capable of installing Gentoo or LFS for the first time using only online resources; many users either do not have the skill level or the interest to put that much effort into creating a custom LiveCD.
There are several.
- The Ubuntu development team should use the proposed LiveCD creation tools to create the official LiveCDs; if they don't, then the tools obviously do not carry the appropriate level of robustness for their task.
- Alice wants to create a LiveCD from Ubuntu containing Thunderbird instead of Evolution.
- Bob wants to custom configure the default Ubuntu installation. He configures a LiveCD as needed with custom programs and a default configuration, and also includes the Ubiquity installer.
- Smith wants to create a programming course for his students to study from. He guts Ubuntu and adds a load of programming tools to a new LiveCD.
Our scope includes all manner of LiveCD creation. LiveCD tools should provide a robust enough environment for the Ubuntu developers to generate the official CDs from them. Required functionality includes:
- Creating LiveCDs based on templates, such as "bare minimum" installing ubuntu-minimal
- Selects repositories
- Selects default packages
- Adjusting the packages on the LiveCD by adding or removing through a Synaptic-like interface
- Adding files directly to the LiveCD just before finalizing
- Modifying the default X11 environment
- Execute a GNOME, KDE, or XFCE log-in in Xnest
Save the home directory as the /etc/skel
- Saving and updating LiveCD templates
Save the package list, /etc/skel, and additional files
- Update by adjusting repositories and performing upgrades or dist-upgrades
- Adding the Ubiquity installer
Python program maybe.