Provide more details
add launchpad URL
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 9:||Line 9:|
|* Launchpad: https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/belocs-locales|
- Malone bug:
- Packages affected: locales, langpacks
- BoF sessions: none yet
In order to server our user communities better, we need to be more responsive and proactive with localisation updates. There are two solutions proposed here:
1) Switch to using the belochs locales packages.
2) Use the belochs locales packages to seed Rosetta, and generate all localisation information from Rosetta.
Getting locale changes into upstream glibc is unnecessarily hard. The glibc maintainer (correctly) requires proof of the correctness of a change before it's included, but the onus of demonstrating that change falls to the glibc package maintainers. The package maintainers are frequently not qualified to provide this proof, and cannot answer upstreams questions to the needed degree of satisfaction. The glibc upstream maintainer also has a well deserved reputation for being difficult to approach with changes.
* Agloolik lives in Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada and has been using Rosetta to do translations, but wants his gnome calendar to correctly use Sunday as the first day of the week.
* Locales / Belocs-locales packaging
See also BreezyFirefoxStartPageTranslation.
Data preservation and migration