Lubuntu 13.04 is now available :
What is Lubuntu ?
Lubuntu is a flavor of Ubuntu based on the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment (LXDE), as its default GUI. The goal is to provide a very lightweight distribution, with all the advantages of the Ubuntu world (repositories, support, etc.). Lubuntu is targeted at "normal" PC and laptop users running on low-spec hardware. Such users may not know how to use command line tools, and in most cases they just don't have enough resources for all the bells and whistles of the "full-featured" mainstream distributions.
With many LXDE components, Lubuntu also uses well-known applications, such as Chromium, Openbox, Pidgin, to name a few. The Lubuntu project wiki contains more information on the project and the applications used available.
- Based on the lightweight LXDE desktop environment.
- Pcmanfm, a fast and lightweight files manager using gio/gvfs.
Openbox, the fast and extensible, default windows-manager of LXDE.
- Lightdm, using the simple GTK greeter
- Chromium, the open-source version of Google Chrome.
- ... and, of course, based on Ubuntu 13.04.
See the complete list of applications on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Applications
Improvements since Lubuntu 12.10
- New version of pcmanfm / libfm (1.1.0) including a built-in search utility.
- Artwork improvements, including new wallpapers, community wallpapers, new icons ...
Releases notes and known issues
The release notes, with a list of known problems are available on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RaringRingtail/ReleaseNotes/Lubuntu
You can find information on how to report a bug on this wiki page : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/ReportingBugs
A big thank to everyone involving in the development of this new great release : LXDE developers, Ubuntu developers, ISO testers, artwork and design people, social-network & blog writers, support & IRC keepers ... It's another success of a great team work
Website : http://lubuntu.net/
Documentation : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu
LXDE website : http://lxde.org/