General Agenda Items and Proposals
Show of hands to gauge attendance
Review ACTIONS from the last meeting
Reporting minutes of meeting to Ubuntu News
Basic user documentation all in one place, with index
Discuss ARM ISO for Lubuntu
Addition of progress report on QA area
Lubuntu Team Meeting
- IRC: irc.freenode.org
- Channel: #ubuntu-meeting
#title #ubuntu-meeting Meeting
Meeting started by gilir at 20:07:23 UTC. The full logs are available at http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2011/ubuntu-meeting.2011-11-30-20.07.log.txt .
- Show of hands to gauge attendance
- Review ACTIONS from the last meeting
- Discuss ARM ISO for Lubuntu
ACTION: Send a mail about ARM ISO on the mailing list (gilir, 20:20:22)
- Addition of progress report on QA area
ACTION: Keep an eye on the next QA meeting for the specific Lubuntu part (gilir, 20:32:04)
- Various news on Lubuntu devs
- Reporting minutes of meeting to Ubuntu News
ACTION: Yorvyk to contact Ubuntu News (gilir, 20:44:39)
- Basic user documentation all in one place, with index
ACTION: Start to work on an index wiki page for help (like https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/ubuntu-help/index.html) (gilir, 21:00:50)
Meeting ended at 21:03:00 UTC.
- Send a mail about ARM ISO on the mailing list
- Keep an eye on the next QA meeting for the specific Lubuntu part
- Yorvyk to contact Ubuntu News
Start to work on an index wiki page for help (like https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/ubuntu-help/index.html)
Action items, by person
- * Yorvyk to contact Ubuntu News
- * Send a mail about ARM ISO on the mailing list
- * Keep an eye on the next QA meeting for the specific Lubuntu part
* Start to work on an index wiki page for help (like https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/ubuntu-help/index.html)
People present (lines said)
- gilir (66)
- phillw (30)
- wxl (27)
- Yorvyk (21)
- jmarsden|work (16)
- stephen-smally (12)
- meetingology (7)
- david_j_r (7)
- Unit193 (2)
- Yorvyk_ (1)
20:07:23 <gilir> #startmeeting
20:07:23 <meetingology> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired
20:07:42 <gilir> Agenda is available here : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/IRC%20Meetings/Agenda
20:08:13 <gilir> [TOPIC] Show of hands to gauge attendance 20:08:24 * wxl shows both hands
20:08:25 <gilir> o/
20:08:31 <wxl> \o/
20:08:42 <jmarsden|work> o/
20:08:46 <gilir> Yorvyk, here ? 20:08:49 * phillw present 20:09:04 * Unit193
20:09:08 <david_j_r> o) (numpty user - lurking)
20:09:33 <stephen-smally> o/
20:10:13 <gilir> [TOPIC] Review ACTIONS from the last meeting
20:10:35 <gilir> quick review of last week actions
20:10:54 <gilir> people still comment on the website page
20:11:14 <gilir> I hope to have enough information for next week to decide something
20:11:39 <wxl> from what i read briefly on the mailing list it sounds like the splinter group we had is now working with mario and they're working on a new proposal. sounds like it's happening
20:11:54 <gilir> Alpha 1 ISO testing, if you want to help : http://18.104.22.168/
20:12:40 <wxl> on that subject julien said he will endeavour to get ppc to be included in the next round of testing
20:12:41 <gilir> and work in progress for lxscreenshot
20:14:28 <gilir> it seems that Yorvyk is not here, so I let his items for now
20:14:47 <gilir> [TOPIC] Discuss ARM ISO for Lubuntu
20:14:53 <phillw> speak of the devil
20:15:04 <stephen-smally> oh, i would like ARM isos
20:15:27 <wxl> i could see if i could get it going on my palm pre
20:15:43 <gilir> well the problem is to have hardware + people who want to test ISOs during the cycle
20:16:00 <stephen-smally> i would like to put in on the RaspBerty PI, i will buy it during christmas
20:16:07 <stephen-smally> *RaspBerry Pi
20:16:12 <gilir> some volunteers ?
20:16:24 <jmarsden|work> gilir: Does ARM mean ARMv7 and later? Note the very low cost Rasperry Pi board will be out in December but it uses ARMv6, the project is more or less giving up on Lubuntu because Ubuntu does not officially do ARMv6...
20:16:48 <gilir> jmarsden|work, it will be the same than Ubuntu
20:17:05 <jmarsden|work> OK, so stephen-smally ... note you won't be able to run Lubuntu on a Rasperry Pi.
20:17:23 <stephen-smally> damn, that's why i'm switching to arch XD
20:17:50 <wxl> the pre has an armv7
20:17:56 <wxl> i'd be into giving it a shot
20:18:39 <gilir> well, maybe for the short term, sending a mail to the mailing list explaning the situation
20:19:22 <gilir> I'm not sure there are enough people to test + debug problems on ARM for lubuntu currently
20:19:37 <stephen-smally> agree
20:19:43 <gilir> and +1 arch is probably enough for this cycle
20:20:09 <jmarsden|work> gilir: I tend to agree; Rasperbby Pi support would get us more (I'd buy a board or two) ... but I'm not buying a $200 board just to test ARMv7.
20:20:22 <gilir> [ACTION] Send a mail about ARM ISO on the mailing list 20:20:22 * meetingology Send a mail about ARM ISO on the mailing list
20:20:37 <gilir> ok let's go the next topic
20:20:42 <wxl> agree.. i think arm is going to be increasingly important, but it's not a huge hot button right now
20:21:06 <gilir> [TOPIC] Addition of progress report on QA area
20:21:16 <stephen-smally> o/ question
20:21:22 <gilir> phillw, it's yours
20:21:43 <phillw> it was mooted and pretty much agreed at the QA meeting that an update of the progress be linked to the QA wiki area.
20:22:03 <phillw> I was kinda hoping gilir will be doing the weekly emails this cycle?
20:22:47 <phillw> Lunbuntu got 43% sign off for pre-alpha1 testing (not too bad... Ubuntu only got 57%).
20:22:53 <gilir> phillw, what do you mean by a weekly email ? about QA ?
20:22:59 <gilir> ah the ISO testing ?
20:23:00 <jmarsden|work> phillw: Isn't seeing the work item updates in the blueprints acceptable to QA? Why create another document?
20:23:19 <phillw> gilir: an update as to any bugs solved / known etc in a digest format.
20:23:47 <phillw> jmarsden|work: they have are adding sections for Xubuntu & Lubuntu.
20:24:10 <gilir> phillw, do you have a link ? for an example ?
20:24:14 <phillw> It is to encourage testers to try and test more areas.
20:24:23 <jmarsden|work> +1 for link/example
20:24:36 <phillw> gilir: it was only agreed 2 hours ago, it is to be set up. 20:25:43 * gilir look at the log
20:25:48 <jmarsden|work> phillw: Is there one for "big brother" Ubuntu already? Or was *that* only agreed 2 hours ago too?
20:25:53 <phillw> (17:09:49) gema: #action gema to add lubuntu and Xubuntu testing updates to the agenda
20:26:16 <phillw> they will as part of that add a section to QA area for both flavours.
20:27:04 <jmarsden|work> phillw: Is there a section like it for Unity-based Ubuntu already, and if so, link please?
20:27:32 <gilir> phillw, that means we need to do a status of bug fixed for this meeting ?
20:27:33 <phillw> I suggested that we use the update that gilir issues to keep the QA team up to date, they also asked that I cc it to the qa mailing list.
20:28:01 <phillw> It is early days, they are bringing in new stuff for this cycle,
20:29:04 <jmarsden|work> So we're being asked to do something for which there is no example or template? Hmmm.
20:29:09 <phillw> for those interested in testing then the meeting logs are at http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2011/ubuntu-meeting.2011-11-30-17.00.moin.txt
20:29:36 <phillw> jmarsden|work: there are templates, they were discussed, but mainly it is about getting the pre-milestones 100% tested.
20:29:50 <wxl> oh man well i'm glad i didn't start testing
20:30:44 <gilir> phillw, ok, I propose that we will look at the next meeting to see what's going for this
20:31:14 <phillw> gilir: fine by me, it was news to me, there is quite a lot going on
20:31:22 <gilir> I'm not sure I understand what we need to do right now, or the benefice for us
20:32:04 <gilir> [ACTION] Keep an eye on the next QA meeting for the specific Lubuntu part 20:32:04 * meetingology Keep an eye on the next QA meeting for the specific Lubuntu part
20:32:32 <wxl> whine i wanna start testing NOW
20:32:49 <jmarsden|work> wxl: Go ahead, this doesn't stop you
20:33:01 <jmarsden|work> (well, maybe wat until this meeting is over!)
20:33:08 <gilir> still no Yorvyk
20:33:08 <phillw> wxl: ping me after the meeting, I will send you the links for the QA tests.
20:33:29 <gilir> [TOPIC] Various news on Lubuntu devs
20:33:33 <wxl> thx phillw
20:33:49 <gilir> ok just a quick summarize of the recent news
20:34:46 <Yorvyk_> Hello
20:34:47 <gilir> I started to work on the session manager, there will be some change after the Alpha 1 on this
20:35:53 <gilir> work also was done on Lxscreenshot, which should be already useable
20:36:02 <gilir> Yorvyk_, ah
20:36:22 <gilir> Yorvyk_, ready for your items ?
20:36:30 <stephen-smally> confirm about lxscreenshot, is very simple, but should be ok for most of the users
20:36:57 <Yorvyk> Can anybody hear me
20:37:04 <phillw> Yorvyklod and clear
20:37:10 <phillw> *loud*
20:37:17 <wxl> lxscreenshot works, but i wish there was more to it.. i'd rather use scrot at this point
20:37:23 <gilir> stephen-smally, I plan to include it in lxde git tree, so after you shoudl prepare an official release
20:37:24 <Yorvyk> \o/ at last!
20:37:50 <gilir> wxl, you can ping stephen-smally about the features you want
20:38:13 <stephen-smally> yes, i'm anyway looking for screen selection.
20:38:22 <gilir> stephen-smally, also, I'll try to work on lsc, to get a release ready for the next week
20:38:41 <gilir> at least, translation import is working now
20:38:47 <stephen-smally> gilir: we tested it a lot in these days and it seems to be stable
20:39:28 <stephen-smally> but the po files aren't builded
20:39:34 <gilir> stephen-smally, yes, I think it's time to release something
20:40:18 <gilir> stephen-smally, look at the last revision, you should have .po files now
20:40:26 <stephen-smally> ohoh, found a bug now, time to solve it
20:40:49 <gilir> Yorvyk, are you with us now ?
20:41:00 <Yorvyk> Yes, I think so
20:41:10 <gilir> ok, moving to your items
20:41:22 <gilir> [TOPIC] Reporting minutes of meeting to Ubuntu News
20:42:18 <gilir> Yorvyk, ^
20:42:28 <Yorvyk> I thought it may be a good idea to do a quick report of the meetings
20:43:00 <gilir> do you think we have enough interesting topics for them ?
20:43:10 <Yorvyk> as it may get more interest and a wider audiance
20:43:27 * gilir is not sure it's the case
20:43:41 <Yorvyk> Why not?
20:43:48 <gilir> Yorvyk, maybe you can contact them, to see if there are interested ?
20:44:03 <Yorvyk> I will
20:44:39 <gilir> [ACTION] Yorvyk to contact Ubuntu News 20:44:39 * meetingology Yorvyk to contact Ubuntu News
20:45:04 <Yorvyk> Other news outlets appear to use Ubuntu News for their articles
20:45:46 <gilir> well, if they are OK, I don't see any problems about this
20:45:58 <Yorvyk> By the way - this meeting wasn't on the fridge calander
20:46:29 <wxl> Yorvyk: it was
20:46:30 <phillw> Yorvyk: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendars/
20:46:34 <phillw> it was
20:46:36 <wxl> but you had to use the "agenda" view to see it
20:46:44 <Yorvyk> Ah!
20:46:45 <wxl> or weekly probably would have worked
20:46:51 <wxl> month view truncated the list
20:47:00 <gilir> too many meetings
20:47:00 <wxl> not sure why there were no scrollbars
20:47:34 <Unit193> I have that calendar added to my list of GCalendars, that's another way to see it
20:47:35 <phillw> I'll look at trying to squeeze it into the topic on the two chennels
20:48:09 <Yorvyk> OK, next
20:48:16 <david_j_r> I'm at fridge calendar, and not seeing it in _any_ view :?
20:48:22 <gilir> [TOPIC] Basic user documentation all in one place, with index
20:49:28 <Yorvyk> This hads been mentioned to me a few people
20:50:03 <Yorvyk> I'm not quite sure what they want - and nor are they Ithink.
20:50:03 <gilir> Yorvyk, it's about the wiki pages on help.ubuntu.com ?
20:50:16 <jmarsden|work> Yorvyk: What is "Basic User Documentation"? man pages???
20:50:44 <Yorvyk> People seem to have problems with the wiki
20:51:39 <gilir> what kind of problems ?
20:51:43 <Yorvyk> I think what people are trying to ask me for is a basic set of howtos for each application.
20:51:45 <jmarsden|work> Yorvyk: Do you have a clear definition of what "Basic User Documentation" means? Otherwise, we can't put it in one place...
20:53:02 <jmarsden|work> Yorvyk: Each application? That's thousands of apps...
20:53:04 <phillw> Yorvyk: I know that mario popped a site map on to help navigation
20:53:22 <Yorvyk> I don't and it is hard work trying to get people to explain what they want. I've asked for examples from them. I thought I'd bring it up to see if anybody had any ideas
20:54:16 <phillw> oops, soz, he updated the links. but there is a site map, not too sure what else we can do given the limitations of wiki?
20:54:19 <Yorvyk> I think the problem with the Wiki is that people aren't sure what terms to uses to find what they want.
20:54:37 <david_j_r> I'm just a newcomer to Lubuntu, but it's my future. I could would appreciate a list of the L* apps - e
20:54:48 <david_j_r> i.e., the Lubuntu/LXDE specific ones.
20:54:52 <david_j_r> Maybe already there?
20:55:03 <wxl> yeha maybe we could just have a "help with apps" page
20:55:06 <wxl> with all the lists
20:55:34 <david_j_r> The "index" may be the key here.
20:55:41 <phillw> I see no reason that such a thing could not be put on the FAQ/Guides area?
20:56:09 <gilir> something more like this : https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/ubuntu-help/index.html ?
20:56:22 <wxl> i agree phillw
20:56:46 <wxl> i like gilir
20:56:47 <phillw> gilir: looks good
20:57:00 <david_j_r> oooh - that's nice!
20:57:02 <wxl> as long as it can be edited just the same as the wiki
20:57:10 <phillw> it is a wiki apge :P
20:57:13 <Yorvyk> I think that's what they're looking for
20:57:19 <gilir> we need someone to do it :p
20:57:32 <wxl> why don't we start with a simple list?
20:57:38 <wxl> i mean crap i could start that
20:57:43 <Yorvyk> I'll point a couple of them at that page and ask them if that's what they want. 20:58:07 * phillw runs into corner.... Yeah... i'll put into my list, please give me a week after someone provides me a complete list of L* programmes!
20:58:20 <jmarsden|work> phillw: for now, you can get a quick list of lx* packages by doing dpkg-query -W lx\* in a terminal window
20:58:26 <gilir> Yorvyk, good idea, maybe you can start a prototype later
20:58:32 <wxl> i can do it phillw
20:58:51 <phillw> wxl: by all means, go for it. I'll help you if you get stuck.
20:59:21 <gilir> wxl, can I put an action for you about this ?
20:59:24 <Yorvyk> The people I'm talking to don't like/understand mailing list or forums
20:59:29 <phillw> jmarsden|work: I killed my VM's ... can't run Lubuntu atm :'(
20:59:31 <wxl> sure gilir
20:59:51 <jmarsden|work> phillw: Ah... OK, email me your VM problem.
21:00:50 <gilir> [ACTION] Start to work on an index wiki page for help (like https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/ubuntu-help/index.html)
21:00:50 * meetingology Start to work on an index wiki page for help (like https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/ubuntu-help/index.html)
21:01:36 <gilir> ok, I think it's time to end the meeting
21:01:50 <Yorvyk> OK
21:01:59 <gilir> no emergency for this week ?
21:02:42 <gilir> oh, and if you don't know what to do tonight : http://22.214.171.124/
21:02:58 <wxl> hhehehe
21:03:00 <gilir> #endmeeting