General Agenda Items and Proposals
Show of hands to gauge attendance
Review ACTIONS from the last meeting
A POC for maintaining Lubuntu FAQ pages
Discuss continuation of Netbook Interface
Update on QA. Also will Lubuntu have a wastebin on the desktop
Proposal to create dedicated teams
Lubuntu Team Meeting
- IRC: irc.freenode.org
- Channel: #ubuntu-meeting
#title #ubuntu-meeting Meeting
Meeting started by gilir at 20:02:21 UTC. The full logs are available at http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2011/ubuntu-meeting.2011-12-21-20.02.log.txt .
- Review ACTIONS from the last meeting
- A POC for maintaining Lubuntu FAQ pages
ACTION: phillw to email amjjawad about the POC of the FAQ (gilir, 20:23:36)
- Update on QA. Also will Lubuntu have a wastebin on the desktop
- Proposal to create dedicated teams
ACTION: gilir to send the proposal of the teams to the mailing list (gilir, 20:43:15) ACTION: Discuss continuation of Netbook Interface (gilir, 20:44:01) LINK: http://holageek.com/v1/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/slingshot.png (rafaellaguna, 20:52:01)
Meeting ended at 21:03:56 UTC.
- phillw to email amjjawad about the POC of the FAQ
- gilir to send the proposal of the teams to the mailing list
- Discuss continuation of Netbook Interface
Action items, by person
- * gilir to send the proposal of the teams to the mailing list
- * phillw to email amjjawad about the POC of the FAQ
People present (lines said)
- gilir (67)
- phillw (35)
- rafaellaguna (28)
- rezbd (18)
- stephen-smally (17)
- jmarsden (11)
- Yorvyk (11)
- gastly (9)
- meetingology (6)
- moergaes (5)
- Unit193 (2)
- tp0x45 (1)
- shandy (1)
20:02:21 <gilir> #startmeeting
20:02:22 <meetingology> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired
20:02:36 <jmarsden> o/
20:02:43 <gastly> o/
20:02:43 <phillw> o/
20:02:44 <gilir> hi
20:02:48 <Yorvyk> o/
20:02:50 <LogicalDream> 'ello
20:02:51 <rezbd> 0/
20:02:58 <rezbd> o/
20:02:59 <moergaes> MÃ¶rgÃ¦s here
20:03:04 <shandy> hi
20:03:16 <Unit193> Howdy
20:03:24 <tp0x45> hi all
20:04:24 <gilir> as usual : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/IRC%20Meetings/Agenda
20:04:36 <stephen-smally> Hi
20:05:23 <gilir> Chris will not be available, so I'll skip its topics
20:05:48 <gilir> Mohi doesn't seem to be here also
20:06:12 <rezbd> I'm first time on a lubuntu meeting
20:06:28 <phillw> gilir: I'll take the section for POC for wiki FAQ agenda
20:06:29 <moergaes> Me too
20:06:43 <gilir> for new people, we will follow the agenda, if you have a question, just o/
20:06:55 <stephen-smally> The netbook interface is an interesting topic
20:06:56 <Unit193> LogicalDream: Wrong meeting
20:06:58 <rezbd> ok
20:07:26 <LogicalDream> It was one hour ago or ... ?
20:07:51 <gastly> LogicalDream, that meeting was on Tuesday (according to the wiki page)
20:08:05 <gilir> [TOPIC] Review ACTIONS from the last meeting
20:09:00 <LogicalDream> tnx gastly my mistake
20:09:22 <gastly> np
20:09:34 <gilir> I'm a bit late for the previous actions :/
20:10:03 <gilir> just, if you want to follow the updates done for the release time, the page is now up-to-date : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/ReleaseStatus/Precise
20:10:39 <gilir> I'll do the others items later this week
20:11:09 <gilir> [TOPIC] A POC for maintaining Lubuntu FAQ pages
20:11:18 <gilir> phillw, ^
20:11:44 <stephen-smally> (stupid question) o/
20:11:47 <phillw> As has been requested, so that we all know when an FAQ has been added
20:12:11 <phillw> is someone willing to be point of contact so that things are tied up.
20:12:44 <phillw> one example would be letting the guy who looks after the forum thread on Lubuntu be kept up to speed on additions?
20:13:16 <phillw> stephen-smally:
20:13:17 <moergaes> Anybody having a link to the FAQ pages?
20:13:35 <stephen-smally> nevermind, is a question to gilir
20:13:56 <jmarsden> moergaes: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/FAQ
20:14:03 <moergaes> Thanks
20:14:05 <gilir> phillw, you suggest to propose this to amjjawad ?
20:14:47 <phillw> gilir: as he has also shown interest in looking after another wiki based area, once he is off his sick bed, I think he would be happy to fulfil that role.
20:15:13 <Yorvyk> phillw: As I said on the list, I think it would help if there was a brief explanation of the role of the POC
20:15:33 <rezbd> does amjjawad not come to the meeting? or he has a different nick for IRC? he's very helpful.
20:16:00 <phillw> A point of contact is the 'delegated' person to whom queries can be directed, instead of just to the general mailing list.
20:16:56 <phillw> that person knows the other POC's to whom some thing in one area could affect, it speeds up the transferrerance of pertinent information.
20:17:19 <phillw> without flooding the mailing list.
20:17:53 <gilir> phillw, do you know someone else interesting ?
20:18:00 <jmarsden> IMO, FAQ maintenance needs a good understanding of the tech issues being answered, and of appropriate wording for the questions and their answers... are we expecting the "POC" to be "the official" FAQ maintainer? Or just some sort of human information relay?
20:18:07 <phillw> rezbd: It may be that it falls at bad time for his timezone.
20:18:31 <phillw> jmarsden: a bit of both.
20:19:00 <rezbd> phillw, I understand. it's bad time for my time zone too. 02:19 AM here right now.
20:19:06 <phillw> At present, only those subscribed to FAQ section get notified of any aedits.
20:19:21 <Yorvyk> jmarsden: thats what I was trying to get at. How much do they need to know?
20:20:24 <phillw> I would say they need to have enough knowledge to understand the exisiting FAQ's and also understand things from a n00b point of view.
20:20:42 <gilir> jmarsden, that would be nice, but maybe just a review from a dev would be suffisent for the beginning ?
20:21:13 <phillw> gilir: I'm for that, I used to send my proposed to you
20:22:20 <jmarsden> OK, as long as we are not expecting more tech depth from amjjawad than is realistic.
20:22:26 <phillw> a peer review of instructions that (may) include the use of sudo is a good idea
20:22:37 <gilir> let's propose it, and see what he thinks about it, phillw could you do it ?
20:22:53 <phillw> gilir: sure, email him.
20:23:02 <phillw> you can #action that to me.
20:23:31 <phillw> (*Sure, I will email*
20:23:36 <gilir> [ACTION] phillw to email amjjawad about the POC of the FAQ 20:23:36 * meetingology phillw to email amjjawad about the POC of the FAQ
20:23:55 <gilir> ok next
20:24:16 <gilir> [TOPIC] Update on QA. Also will Lubuntu have a wastebin on the desktop
20:24:24 <gilir> phillw, still you
20:24:48 <phillw> The QA team are busy looking at the further automation of tests in the lab.
20:25:21 <phillw> they are also re-writing some the tests to be flavour specific (e.g. we use pcmanfm)
20:26:12 <phillw> At random I chose a test that is to check that you can send something to the wastebin & delete it. Hence my question as to if Lubuntu will be putting the waste bin onto the desktop?
20:26:22 <jmarsden> phillw: Any progress on automated ISO (install) testing?
20:26:24 * jmarsden thinks that for political correctness, we have to be ecological and have a "recycling bin" not a wastebin
20:27:08 <phillw> jmarsden: yeah, they are triaging some issues as some of the recent dailies have failed due to mixture of errors on the builds and the robot that tests them.
20:27:48 <gilir> technicaly, we can't have a "real" wastebin on the desktop, just a shortcut
20:28:11 <gilir> so, you can't do a "right click => empty"
20:28:22 <phillw> the new auto system is most unlikely to be in for 12.04, we are due a session on learning about it in the New Year, anyone interested in attending, please email me & I'll ensure you are informed as to when it will be held.
20:28:41 <gastly> gilir, I thought so, pcmanfm doesn't support this afaik
20:29:08 <phillw> gilir: that is fine, as long as when I write the test it won't be obsolete by the time 12.04 launches!
20:29:20 <rezbd> phillw, didn't get it. attending in what?
20:29:40 <phillw> rezbd: a session on the new auto-testing system.
20:29:45 <Yorvyk> I have never seen a reason or justification for a waste bin on the desktop-anybody got one?
20:30:36 <moergaes> A link to a waste bin is fine with me.
20:30:50 <gastly> I personally never use the waste bin :p
20:30:50 <phillw> They are also looking to 'alter' iso testing from just "does it install" to test each app in the default install actually runs as expected. This, again, is not going to be in place for 12.04 and does require the auto-testing - or a lot of testers!
20:30:57 <gilir> Yorvyk, same opinion here
20:32:05 <phillw> there are a couple of auto-testers being discussed atm, again in January I should have some more to report back on that.
20:32:16 <rezbd> phillw, does it require high speed internet connection to attend on that auto-testing system?
20:32:32 <phillw> rezbd: nope, it is being held on IRC
20:32:40 <rezbd> oh ok
20:33:15 <phillw> my guess is that it will be on the qa channel, or in the classroom.
20:33:38 <rezbd> that's cool I'm interested
20:33:56 <gilir> I think the easiest way is to contact phillw directly if you are interesting in the topic
20:34:21 <gilir> phillw, anything else for the QA report ?
20:34:24 <phillw> for anyone who has not got my email email@example.com will land in my inbox
20:34:39 <phillw> gilir: not until we get to the teams bit, later.
20:34:56 <gilir> ok, so I will jump to this
20:35:07 <gilir> [TOPIC] Proposal to create dedicated teams
20:35:33 <gilir> something I would like to re-create is the system of team, we had in the past
20:35:40 <gilir> team/teams
20:36:08 <rezbd> phillw, it's not so difficult to get your email. I see you talk regularly in Lubuntu mailing
20:36:09 <gilir> I added my ideas on the wiki page : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Teams_New
20:36:47 <gilir> the goal is coordinate the work inside of each team
20:37:12 <gilir> for example, the artwork team is already working on the 12.04 artwork
20:37:31 <stephen-smally> i think is a good idea
20:37:44 <rezbd> sounds cool
20:37:50 <stephen-smally> but, will each team have a mailing list?
20:38:01 <phillw> gilir: I'm all for, as you know a QA/Testing team.
20:38:05 <gilir> with this, we can work inside each team, and coordinate all together during the meeting on Wednesday, or the mailing list
20:38:17 <rezbd> how many teams out there developing Lubuntu?
20:38:32 <gilir> stephen-smally, each team can do what they want for communication
20:38:43 <stephen-smally> is great
20:38:55 <rafaellaguna> sorry, I'm late!
20:39:12 <stephen-smally> so if a developer need a nice design for a stuff can ask on the artwork mailing list (or whatever)
20:39:16 <gilir> rezbd, teams are not created yet
20:39:27 <jmarsden> gilir: Do you have proposed leaders/coordinators for each of the proposed teams listed at : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Teams_New
20:39:38 <gilir> rafaellaguna, just in time, I'm talking about teams and the artwork team
20:39:40 <Yorvyk> These teams will be part of the larger general ubuntu teams?
20:39:53 <rafaellaguna> nice
20:40:11 <gilir> jmarsden, no, I think each teams should nominated a leader / coordinator
20:40:18 <gilir> but it's part of the discussion
20:40:25 <rafaellaguna> I have a question about Network session (artwork related) too
20:40:50 <gilir> Yorvyk, they can work with other ubuntu teams, but they have to organize this
20:41:43 <gilir> rafaellaguna, we can talk about it after this topic
20:41:50 <rafaellaguna> ok
20:42:28 <stephen-smally> btw, +1 for the separated teams
20:42:35 <gilir> if nobody have comment now, I can send an official proposal to the list, and open the teams
20:42:48 <jmarsden> gilir: go for it
20:42:51 <gastly> yup +1 for the teams
20:42:53 <phillw> +1
20:43:15 <gilir> [ACTION] gilir to send the proposal of the teams to the mailing list 20:43:15 * meetingology gilir to send the proposal of the teams to the mailing list
20:43:46 <gilir> ok, move to the netbook session
20:44:01 <gilir> [ACTION] Discuss continuation of Netbook Interface 20:44:01 * meetingology Discuss continuation of Netbook Interface
20:44:25 <gilir> I'll introduce this one
20:44:54 <jmarsden> gilir: what about rafaellaguna's question... ?
20:44:54 <gilir> so the netbook interface was create just to show how lxlauncher can work
20:45:27 <gilir> we did do much work about it, since the beginning
20:45:57 <rafaellaguna> Not too many interventions on this interface
20:46:05 <stephen-smally> i think lxlauncher needs heavy tweaks anyway
20:46:16 <gilir> I don't think there is so much work to keep it, it's already working
20:46:23 <rafaellaguna> I must say it's needed a complete rework
20:46:30 <rafaellaguna> not simply patching
20:46:57 <rafaellaguna> I'm not talking about the possibility of including a selectable background
20:46:57 <gilir> rafaellaguna, there is a work-in-progress to add theming support for lxlauncher
20:47:15 <gilir> but work-in-progress since more than a year :-/
20:47:22 <rafaellaguna> gilir: no, I'm focused on Lubuntu session "only"
20:47:37 <stephen-smally> basically, lxlauncher read a gtkrc file.
20:47:37 <rafaellaguna> gilir: yep, I tried, but was unsuccesful
20:47:47 <stephen-smally> but the customization is not so simple, and:
20:48:02 <stephen-smally> 1 - the tabbed interface is not comfortable
20:48:03 <gilir> rafaellaguna, of course, the classic session is the priority
20:48:31 <rafaellaguna> My idea is, if the project continues, making something similar to Elementary's Slingshot launcher
20:48:56 <rafaellaguna> KDE did something similar on the new Netbook Plasma environment
20:50:26 <rafaellaguna> can I put a link?
20:50:28 <gilir> rafaellaguna, same problem as always, do we have the manpower to do it
20:50:47 <gilir> rafaellaguna, yes, with the LINK tag
20:50:55 <rafaellaguna> well, you all know now "I am two"
20:51:16 <Yorvyk> Is there any suggestion that anybody use the netbook Interface?
20:51:28 <rafaellaguna> I mean, frankbooth is the other part of the artwork team
20:51:43 <rafaellaguna> a friend of mine loves that interface, more than classic session
20:51:45 <gilir> unless we can re-use something, which need to be lightweight, it would be difficult to change this interface
20:52:01 <rafaellaguna> http://holageek.com/v1/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/slingshot.png
20:52:46 <gilir> rafaellaguna, do you have a link to the source also ? :p
20:53:15 <rafaellaguna> of lxlauncher?
20:53:29 <gastly> rafaellaguna, that looks similar to gnome-shell
20:53:52 <gilir> rafaellaguna, no, to slingshot
20:53:58 <rafaellaguna> gastly: yes, but it's a hundred lighter
20:53:58 <stephen-smally> is hosted on launchpad (and written in vala ;-P)
20:54:08 <rezbd> it look gorgeous. rafaellaguna , what's interface is it?
20:54:13 <rafaellaguna> gilir: no, there's a team on launchpad
20:54:43 <gilir> find it : https://code.launchpad.net/~elementary-pantheon/slingshot/new-slingshot
20:54:57 <Yorvyk> It looks like a load of icons on the desktop
20:55:01 <rafaellaguna> warning: the new-slingshot is different
20:55:32 <phillw> Yorvyk: that, I believe is how they run their netbooks... very wierd
20:55:53 <rezbd> lol Yorvyk , yea for a classic deskop
20:56:14 <rafaellaguna> gilir: slingshot now is a gnome2-like menu, semitransparent, like Cinnamon (the new Gnome3 fork for Mint) will look like
20:56:34 <rafaellaguna> it's a hard work taking that and adapt to Lubuntu
20:56:47 <rafaellaguna> also, pantheon library requierements are huge!
20:58:12 <Yorvyk> I believe we need to find netbook users that like that style of interface and ask them for their views.
20:58:56 <rezbd> I really like the present desktop interface of Lubuntu. I wounder what will it look like on 12.04 !
20:58:58 <Yorvyk> 2 mins to go!
20:59:21 <rezbd> Yorvyk, I'm a netbook user.
20:59:43 <rafaellaguna> honestly, I think it's unnecessary, classic session looks fine on netbooks and also notebooks
20:59:59 <jmarsden> +1
21:00:03 <gastly> +1
21:00:12 <gilir> well, unles we have a good replacement, I suggest to keep the situation as it is now
21:00:26 <stephen-smally> yes, but anyway we shouldn't ship lxlauncher until is ready
21:00:26 <Yorvyk> +1 21:00:40 * rezbd agrees with gilir
21:00:44 <MrChrisDruif> Evening
21:00:48 <MrChrisDruif> Sorry I'm so late
21:00:49 <rafaellaguna> me agrees gilir
21:00:50 <MrChrisDruif> Couldn't come any earlier
21:01:04 <gilir> stephen-smally, well it is ready, it just can't do many things
21:01:22 <stephen-smally> graphically speaking
21:01:31 <gilir> MrChrisDruif, it's time to finish but you will be able to read the logs
21:01:58 <gilir> ok, let's finish, thanks everyone
21:02:03 <MrChrisDruif> Unless everyone has to go, then there is no reason to stop =P
21:02:05 <gilir> just a quick information to finish
21:02:21 <gilir> I would like to cancel the next meeting
21:02:23 <Yorvyk> OK bye - must dash!
21:02:34 <stephen-smally> no problem, is christmas time
21:02:40 <MrChrisDruif> Bye Yorvyk
21:02:43 <rafaellaguna> due to xmas?
21:02:59 <gilir> rafaellaguna, yes
21:03:12 <gilir> I'll had it the minutes of the meeting
21:03:23 <gastly> Good, I have exams next week xD
21:03:28 <MrChrisDruif> rafaellaguna; the in-between time of Christmas & New Years
21:03:30 <jmarsden> So next meeting Wed Jan 4 2012
21:03:37 <gilir> thanks to everyones, see you next year
21:03:50 <rafaellaguna> happy new year to everybody!
21:03:56 <gilir> #endmeeting