Differences between revisions 26 and 231 (spanning 205 versions)
Updated the Natty Release section to Beta 1, with corresponding links
← Revision 231 as of 2018-01-15 04:06:43
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
||<tablestyle="float:right; width:40%; background:#F1F1ED; margin: 0 0 1em 1em;" style="padding:0.5em;"><<TableOfContents>>||
= Testing Lubuntu =
The third alpha of the 11.04 series is out in the wild for testing. As with all alphas and non-stable betas they are not suitable for a production environment, please take the time to read [[http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594833 | Common Questions for Testing]]
'''Ubiquity (the installer) will ask you for keyboard configuration. Be sure to say No, so you will be able to configure properly your keyboard and select your layout. Otherwise, you may not be able to use your keyboard after the reboot.'''
It is recommended that you join the [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/GettingInvolved|lubuntu mailing list]] so as to keep abreast of changes. As always, please try to use the torrent download & be a part of it. Torrent Download shares the work between several computers and should be much faster.
== Lubuntu Natty 11.04 Beta 1 Released ==
* [[https://lists.launchpad.net/lubuntu-desktop/msg03691.html | Announcement email with feature list]]
You can download from either direct download links below. But we would prefer it if you used the torrent.
* [[http://people.ubuntu.com/~gilir/lubuntu-natty-beta1.iso.torrent | Torrent Download]]
* [[http://people.ubuntu.com/~gilir/lubuntu-natty-beta1.iso | Direct Download]]
* [[http://people.ubuntu.com/~gilir/md5sum.txt | MD5 Checksum]]
== Minimal Installation and 64 Bit ==
* By using [[http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/natty/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/|32 Bit minimal]] or [[http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/natty/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/|64 Bit minimal]]. You can add the '''lubuntu-desktop''' package, or the '''lubuntu-core''' package. [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/DocumentationHelp/MinimalInstall|Minimal Install Instructions]] is where to get further details, along with a work-around for the "Unmanaged connection" bug.
== General Testing ==
* During the release cycle, things will get broken. You can really reduce these occurrences by taking the time to read [[http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1479146|Partial Upgrades]].
=== ppa-purge ===
* During the testing phase you may be asked via the mailing list to help test things by adding a test [[https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA|ppa]]. Sometimes it does not go too well and you need to reverse the changes. A great tool for this is '''ppa-purge'''. I'd advise that you install this before you need it.
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
Usage is quite simple,
sudo ppa-purge ppa:Name_of_ppa
e.g., if the ppa is test/ppa the command would be
sudo ppa-purge ppa:test/ppa
=== Known Issues ===
* In Install-only mode, the panel appear in the middle of the screen : [[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/684802|ubiquity bug 684802]]
* Start menu of the Live-CD is not correctly translated.
* Installer doesn't install correct restricted packages.
* Missing packages for modem management
=== Manual test of iso and cd ===
* Using [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/DocumentationHelp/LXTerminal| LXTerminal]] navigate to the directory with the iso file in it and issue
ls -l lubuntu-natty-beta1.iso
* It should report back a file size of '''695654400''', provided it does you can then proceed to run the md5check sum over it
* It should report back '''22566c6f31114e6063bcd34afa2bac7c''' If it does not, the download is corrupt.
* After confirming that the file has downloaded okay, you can then burn the cd (help on this can be found at [[https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto|Burning an ISO]], there is a screen cast for using xfburn at [[http://lubuntu.net/node/38 | Burning CDs/DVDs (using XFBurn)]]). Always burn at a slow speed (4X, or slower). Using [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/DocumentationHelp/LXTerminal| LXTerminal]] issue
dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2048 count=339675 |md5sum
* Again you need to have it report back '''22566c6f31114e6063bcd34afa2bac7c''' Any other result means that the cd has not burned correctly.
=== Reporting bugs ===
* You can find information on how to report bugs at [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/ReportingBugs | Reporting Bugs]]
== Specific Testing ==
=== QA tests ===
You can do more specific tests, like ones done for the Ubuntu ISO : http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/test/5090
You can also test specific programs :
* [[http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Applications/Pcmanfm | pcmanfm]]
* [[http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Applications/LXPanel | lxpanel]]
* [[http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Applications/LXSession | lxsession]]
* [[http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Applications/LXTerminal | lxterminal]]
* [[http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Applications/LXAppearance | lxappearance]]
* [[http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Applications/LXTasks | lxtask]]
* [[http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Applications/LXInput | lxinput]]
* [[http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/Applications/LXRandr | lxrandr]]
=== Performance tests ===
You can test the performance with the following programs :
* gtkperf : Test the performance of the gtk theme.
* phoronix-test-suite: General benchmarks and tests suit.
* bootchart: Test boot process.
|#refresh 0 http://phab.lubuntu.me/w/testing/|