Created: 2007-04-06 by OuattaraAziz
See also: UbuntuMediaCenter
This specs concerns developers that want to make a Player module for UbuntuMediaCenter. We'll define here the interface that a player module should implement.
- Paul wants to make a Ubuntu Media Center player module using VLC. He wants to know how he should map the vlc functions to be UMC compliant. He refers to that page, writes a single files mapping the VLC functions to the define Specs, and there goes his plug in.
Please see UbuntuMediaCenter to get informations about the infrastructure of Ubuntu Media Center (Kernel + modules). The definition of that spec is mandatory to have an easy player module development for UMC.
Scope and Use Cases
- In which case will a player need to do something ?
- When receiving a message from a controller ( Play, Stop, Pause ... ) . So there should be a corresponding API for the player.
- When used by the UI ( to set view size, full screen, ... ) . So a corresponding API will be defined.
BoF agenda and discussion
- Is there an existing project to define a player specs ?
Players can be of different kinds : WebMedia Player, Video Player, Audio Player, Picture Player. Defining a Spec for each kind will be needed .
- We should also define a way for a player module to expose its capabilities (type, codecs supported, file supported)