20080923

Revision 1 as of 2008-09-24 18:48:35

Clear message

Agenda

Items we will be discussing:

  • Review ACTION points from previous meeting.
  • Review progress made on the specification listed on the Roadmap.

  • Open Discussion.
  • Agree on next meeting date and time.

Minutes

Agree on next meeting date and time

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, June 24th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

Log

{{{[16:02] <mathiaz> #startmeeting [16:02] <MootBot> Meeting started at 10:02. The chair is mathiaz. [16:02] <MootBot> Commands Available: [TOPIC], [IDEA], [ACTION], [AGREED], [LINK], [VOTE] [16:02] * nealmcb cheers for mootbot [16:02] <mathiaz> Today's agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting [16:02] <mathiaz> Last week minutes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20080916 [16:03] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Ubuntu vm builder [16:03] <MootBot> New Topic: Ubuntu vm builder [16:03] <mathiaz> soren: how is it going ? [16:03] <soren> Good, thank you. [16:03] <soren> Smile :) [16:03] <mathiaz> soren: awesome - ready for the next phase ? [16:03] <soren> Err... I honestly don't remember what changed since last week. [16:03] <mathiaz> soren: have you written a blog post ? [16:04] <soren> Yeah. I've finally posted the blog thing, so with a bit of luck, the bug reports should start trickling in now. [16:05] <mathiaz> nijaba: what about the tutorial ? [16:05] <mathiaz> sommer: have you looked at the virtualization section update ? [16:05] <sommer> mathiaz: should be pretty much good to go [16:06] <sommer> mathiaz: after soren's blog, it needs something about xen though [16:06] <sommer> at least a wink and a nod Smile :) [16:06] <mathiaz> sommer: excellent. [16:06] <nijaba> mathiaz: I have not have time to move a lot on it while at VMworld, but I have worked a bit on VMbuilder so that missing functions that I need are now there [16:07] <mathiaz> nijaba: great - so you consider it feature equivalent to ubuntu-vm-builder ? [16:07] <mathiaz> soren: ? [16:07] <nijaba> mathiaz: I need to do a final check, but yes, I beleive it will be [16:08] <mathiaz> [ACTION] sommer to update the virtulization section with a reference to xen in vm-builder [16:08] <MootBot> ACTION received: sommer to update the virtulization section with a reference to xen in vm-builder [16:09] <soren> mathiaz: It still neeeds a few things, but it will be really soon. [16:09] <nijaba> mathiaz: Soren was also talking about providing a wrapper to uvb to call the new one seemlessly [16:09] <soren> Right. [16:10] <mathiaz> ok - anything else to add on vm-builder ? [16:11] <mathiaz> nope - let's move on [16:11] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Review ServerGuide for Intrepid [16:11] <MootBot> New Topic: Review ServerGuide for Intrepid [16:11] <mathiaz> kirkland: reviewed the RAID section ? [16:11] <sommer> yeppers [16:11] <kirkland> mathiaz: return true; [16:11] <mathiaz> Koon: what about tomcat ? [16:11] <mathiaz> sommer: and I still haven't looked at the ldap section [16:12] <Koon> section drafted, reviewed and uploaded by sommer [16:12] <mathiaz> [ACTION] mathiaz to review the ldap section of the server guide [16:12] <MootBot> ACTION received: mathiaz to review the ldap section of the server guide [16:12] * soren apologises for keeping people waiting. I had a knock on the door Sad :( [16:12] <mathiaz> sommer: anything else on the documentation front ? [16:12] <sommer> I think things are pretty much good to go [16:12] <sommer> had a question about the automatic security updates? [16:13] <sommer> does that use cron, unattended-upgrades? [16:13] <mathiaz> sommer: I think it installs unattended-upgrade [16:14] <sommer> mathiaz: I didn't see it during my testing [16:14] <mathiaz> sommer: not sure though. [16:14] <nijaba> sommer: yes it does [16:14] <mathiaz> sommer: you could ask the installer team about it [16:14] <mathiaz> sommer: or look at the code [16:15] <sommer> mathiaz: where is the code? [16:15] <mathiaz> kirkland: do you remember the name of the component in d-i ? [16:15] <nijaba> sommer: all of it is in the cron it install, IIRC [16:15] <sommer> cause I'm pretty sure I selected automatic security updates, and didn't see unattended-upgrades installed [16:15] <mathiaz> kirkland: it's the same one that deals with landscape-client [16:16] <sommer> nijaba: ah, I might be looking in the wrong place then [16:16] <nijaba> sommer: then that sounds like a non working feature [16:16] <nijaba> because I believe u-a should be installed as a result [16:17] <sommer> nijaba: that's cool, I'll update the installation section to that affect [16:17] <mathiaz> sommer: I can't find it anymore [16:17] <sommer> mathiaz: no problem I can do some digging later [16:17] <mathiaz> sommer: I'd go to #ubuntu-installer and ask about it there [16:18] <kirkland> mathiaz: pkgsel [16:18] <sommer> mathiaz: will do [16:19] <mathiaz> sommer: pkgsel [16:19] <mathiaz> kirkland: do you have branch url somewhere ? [16:19] <kirkland> mathiaz: ??? apt-get source pkgsel [16:19] <kirkland> mathiaz: bzr get http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/pkgsel/ubuntu [16:20] <mathiaz> kirkland: ah right - I'm always looking at the bzr branch Big Grin :) [16:20] <mathiaz> sommer: anyway - there is good chance you'll find the code above [16:20] <mathiaz> sommer: anything else for the documentation ? [16:21] <sommer> mathiaz: I think that's it [16:21] <kirkland> sommer: if you do find a bug, file it against pkgsel and subscribe me [16:21] <sommer> kirkland: okay [16:22] <mathiaz> [ACTION] sommer to look into the security updates part of the installer to figure out what it does exactly and document it [16:22] <MootBot> ACTION received: sommer to look into the security updates part of the installer to figure out what it does exactly and document it [16:22] <mathiaz> let's move on [16:22] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] nagios3 in main [16:22] <MootBot> New Topic: nagios3 in main [16:22] <mathiaz> Koon: ^ ? [16:23] <Koon> mathiaz: no good so far, had trouble getting a hold on archive admins. nijaba resent a mail recently [16:23] <Koon> MIR/archive-fixing work is less priority than Ffe processing at that point [16:24] <Koon> if nobody moves on the email, i'll ping them tomorrow [16:24] <mathiaz> Koon: have you checked if nagios3 was seeded somewhere ? [16:24] <Koon> mathiaz: it's not. nagios2 is still in server-ship [16:24] <mathiaz> Koon: right - so we need to fix that. [16:25] <Koon> mathiaz: in which order ? [16:25] <mathiaz> Koon: IIRC we came to the conclusion that we wouldn't need a MIR for nagios3. [16:25] <Koon> so we can just fix the seed ? [16:25] <mathiaz> Koon: well - that step 5 according to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MainInclusionProcess [16:26] <mathiaz> Koon: step 6 is when the archive admin actually does the move from universe to main [16:26] <Koon> mathiaz: ok, so someone with powerz[tm] needs to fix the seed to do s/nagios2/nagios3 [16:27] <mathiaz> Koon: ok - I can do that [16:27] <Koon> (there still is the problem with hardy but that's outside the scope of this agenda item) [16:27] <mathiaz> Koon: I think we should still file a bug explaining why nagios3 doesn't need a MIR [16:27] * mathiaz nods [16:27] <Koon> mathiaz: i can do that [16:27] <mathiaz> Koon: and point to the MIR for nagios2 [16:28] <Koon> (tomorrow) [16:28] <mathiaz> Koon: great - once done ping pitti or doko so that can approve the bug [16:28] <mathiaz> Koon: so that the archive admin can process the bug quickly [16:29] <mathiaz> Koon: once you've filed the bug I'll update the seed. [16:29] <mathiaz> [ACTION] Koon to file a bug explaining the state of nagios3, subscribe ubuntu-mir to it and get approved [16:29] <MootBot> ACTION received: Koon to file a bug explaining the state of nagios3, subscribe ubuntu-mir to it and get approved [16:29] <mathiaz> [ACTION] mathiaz to update the server-ship to use nagios3 instead of nagios2 [16:29] <MootBot> ACTION received: mathiaz to update the server-ship to use nagios3 instead of nagios2 [16:30] <mathiaz> Anything else from last week meeting ? [16:32] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Beta Freeze [16:32] <MootBot> New Topic: Beta Freeze [16:32] <mathiaz> As you may know we're preparing for the Beta release of intrepid [16:32] <mathiaz> that is schedule for Thursday next week [16:32] <mathiaz> so we'll enter Beta Freeze this thursday [16:33] <mathiaz> That means iso testing will be more than welcomed [16:34] <mathiaz> #ubuntu-testing is the place to hang out to follow the daily builds [16:34] <mathiaz> The testing team will probably use a two phase approach: [16:34] <mathiaz> with the first batch of isos produced this week used for smoke testing [16:35] <mathiaz> and then another batch of isos produced early next week [16:36] <nxvl> mathiaz: do we have bugs milestoned for beta? [16:38] <mathiaz> nxvl: yes - but I don't find the url right now [16:39] <mathiaz> nxvl: I'll ask aroung and put the url in the minutes [16:39] <nxvl> ok [16:39] <nxvl> Big Grin :) [16:39] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Open discussion [16:39] <MootBot> New Topic: Open discussion [16:40] <mathiaz> something to add ? [16:40] <zul> mathiaz: ill poke slangasek about that patch for samba 3.2.4 today [16:40] <nijaba> Server survey should be up by tomorrow [16:40] <wst> ebox is completely broken in intrepid [16:40] <wst> are there any plans to fix that? [16:40] <mathiaz> wst: have you tried to version from the ebox-dev ppa ? [16:41] <wst> no will do that [16:41] <mathiaz> nijaba: are you in touch with the marketing team ? [16:41] <mathiaz> nijaba: is the launch plan up-to-date ? [16:42] <nijaba> mathiaz: a bit, was about to send them an announce. [16:42] <mathiaz> wst: great - foolano asked for sponsoring of ebox into universe [16:42] <mathiaz> wst: IIRC he was uploading the package to a PPA [16:42] <nijaba> mathiaz: yes, the plan is up to date, AFAIK and Canonical is issuing a press release [16:43] <mathiaz> zul: great - keep in mind that Thursday is Beta Freeze [16:43] <foolano> mathiaz: yep, they are in our PPA. I have to run some automatic tests to see if there's any issue with the latest uploads [16:43] <zul> mathiaz: yep [16:43] <mathiaz> zul: but it's not a big issue if 3.2.4 gets in after Beta [16:43] <mathiaz> foolano: do you have url for the PPA ? [16:43] <zul> mathiaz: its --><-- this close [16:44] <wst> just found it launchpad.net/~ebox-unstable [16:44] <foolano> that's it [16:45] <mathiaz> wst: foolano: great - could you report if things are working correctly ? [16:45] <foolano> sure, i'm gonna run the tests right away [16:46] <mathiaz> Anything else to add ? [16:47] <wst> will try, never used ebox before actually but will see what happens [16:48] <sommer> foolano: I just started getting into the ebox code, but if there's anything I can do to help, feel free to ping me [16:50] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Agree on next meeting date and time. [16:50] <MootBot> New Topic: Agree on next meeting date and time. [16:50] <nealmcb> I finally posted minutes from the server team meeting a few weeks ago, fwiw: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20080819 [16:51] <mathiaz> nealmcb: great ! Did you send them to the ubuntu-server@ ml ? [16:51] <nealmcb> nice to see mootbot back - good to have a friend Smile :) [16:51] <nealmcb> mathiaz: time has moved on... but if you think it would be helpful [16:51] <foolano> sommer: thanks, I'm writing a new tutorial, more like a step-by-step guide [16:52] <mathiaz> nealmcb: true - at least it's on the wiki page. [16:52] <nealmcb> yup [16:52] <mathiaz> nealmcb: I may push them to the server blog though [16:52] <nealmcb> nothing seems to still be useful for a current topic. that sounds good [16:52] <nealmcb> helps to have the history anyway [16:53] * mathiaz nods [16:53] <mathiaz> [TOPIC] Agree on next meeting date and time. [16:53] <MootBot> New Topic: Agree on next meeting date and time. [16:54] <mathiaz> same time, same place, next week ? [16:54] <sommer> sure [16:54] <kirkland> mathiaz: can i add one thing? [16:54] <mathiaz> kirkland: sure [16:55] <kirkland> mathiaz: thought it might be worth mentioning that you posted a poll last week to ubuntu-server@ ML [16:55] <mathiaz> kirkland: right - I haven't set up a pool in LP [16:55] <kirkland> mathiaz: no, but you asked for feedback on the ML [16:55] <mathiaz> kirkland: but send out a request for feedback for the encrypted directory step in the installer [16:56] <mathiaz> kirkland: do you want to add something in the meeting ? [16:56] <mathiaz> kirkland: we may run out of time [16:56] <kirkland> mathiaz: oh, sorry, just "vote!" [16:56] <kirkland> Wink ;-) [16:56] <mathiaz> kirkland: It seems that discussion is still going on the ml [16:57] <kirkland> that's all [16:58] <mathiaz> great - so see you all next week [16:58] <mathiaz> same time, same place [16:58] <nealmcb> thanks! [16:58] <mathiaz> thanks for coming and happy beta testing ! [16:58] <mathiaz> #endmeeting [16:59] <MootBot> Meeting finished at 10:59. }}}