Ubuntu NC LoCo Team IRC Meeting - July 15, 2010
- Team advocacy - What is the team doing to get the word out?
- Offered support to CharLUG for an Installfest they are planning in 6 wks to 2 mos.
- Have commitment for Ubuntu Live CDs from Amber.
- No word from CharLUG on date, yet.
-- john-johnghormley 2010-06-02 19:49:53
- Progress Report
- Discuss a new meeting time, and maybe changing the frequency to have more productive meetings less often. (holstein)
- Discuss starting a 'meeting chair group' of members that can chair the meetings in rotation. (holstein)
- Review member positions and the job requirements/responsibilities in order to discuss filling open positions. (holstein)
A new advocacy opportunity with the Kramden Institute; please see this forum post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1507978
Reminder about next Meeting
- Date, Time, reminder that everyone can add to agenda, and link to agenda Location
Meeting opened by _marx_ at 22:58
<internalkernel> I had some way of entering bash commands in pidgin... but I forgot
<_marx_> hi all, chime in if you are here for the meeting.
<_marx_> the bot does a head count
<_marx_> yah, holstein made it
<_marx_> [topic] team facebook page
team facebook page
<_marx_> all attempts have been made to contact this guy
<holstein> i friended the guy
<holstein> no word
<_marx_> heard anything
<holstein> jcg2 was trying hard as well
<_marx_> i sent the logo to his launchpad addresses
<holstein> i guess we just stay on it
<holstein> whoever has a facebook account and wants to bother him
<Garagegoblin> can do, what is the name?
<akgraner> hey all sorry I'm late!
<_marx_> Garagegoblin: i think you can find it on the agenda page
<_marx_> hi akgraner
<holstein> this is the guy http://www.facebook.com/mighmos
<Garagegoblin> thanks holstein
<_marx_> track some more and he has a launchpad id as well
<holstein> i think jcg messaged him there
<_marx_> i did
<_marx_> as well
<holstein> lets just all try to contact him
<akgraner> well if we can't get it we can just start a new one with Ubuntu NC LoCo Team
<holstein> and nicely
<Garagegoblin> hahaha, so we are trying to get access to the page from him?
<akgraner> and make sure 4 or 5 people on the team have sdmin
<holstein> and yeah, we can always just make a new one like akgraner says
<akgraner> admin even
<holstein> give it til next meeting?
<holstein> then somebody make a new one?
<_marx_> i like that
<Garagegoblin> I would think that is plenty of time
<akgraner> nods we've spent 6 months on this already
<holstein> yeah, its been a while too
<_marx_> several have tried to contact hime
<akgraner> I did as well
<_marx_> k mootbot
<holstein> well, you want to just go ahead on a new one then?
<akgraner> we did invite him to join the team and not just we want access right?
<holstein> i just friended him
<holstein> and that was my plan
<holstein> if i had contact
<akgraner> holstein, yeah - go that route and ask him to become an active member to help get the word out etc
<holstein> a cordial inclusive thank-you for starting the FB page
<Garagegoblin> good good
<_marx_> [action] one more month on the facebook guy
one more month on the facebook guy
<akgraner> then if nothing by the next meeting - let's just fork it and start a new one
<internalkernel> yeah... fork it...
<internalkernel> and him too
<_marx_> in one month right?
<akgraner> (geek humor I'm getting it )
<holstein> _marx_: not yet
<akgraner> _marx_, yep
<internalkernel> you need to watch more IT Crowd akgraner
<holstein> we can discuss all that
<holstein> if its set for a month already, thats cool
<_marx_> [topic]Charlug installfest
<_marx_> John isn't here so I'm closing it for this month
<akgraner> yeah - I haven't heard anything about a date
<akgraner> +1 on closing it - until we get more information it can always be added back
<_marx_> new items
<_marx_> i'm going to jump here to Garagegoblin on the Kramden Institute
<_marx_> [topic] new advocacy opp w/Kramden
new advocacy opp w/Kramden
<akgraner> that's the refurb computers with Ubuntu on it right?
<Garagegoblin> half right
<_marx_> well they've been doing winders
<akgraner> that's right
<holstein> where are they?
<Garagegoblin> I am a member of the Kramden Institute (www.kramden.org) management team
<holstein> Garagegoblin: OH
<Garagegoblin> We are located in Durham, NC
<holstein> +1 for not using windows
<holstein> what can we do Garagegoblin ?
<holstein> do you want a demonstration or something like that?
<holstein> something formal at the institute?
<_marx_> my apologies, no cue Garagegoblin
<Garagegoblin> We have just decided that we are going to start a small side group to start exploring the opportunities gained from using Ubuntu
<holstein> or ubuntu with LXDE or XFCE
<holstein> something that can really sing on an old p3
<Garagegoblin> We are more interested in Edubuntu for the software since these computers go out to students k -12
<holstein> i think a lot of that stuff could and should be revamped to be easily used in lubuntu
<holstein> or xubuntu
<Garagegoblin> I would love to see a full implimentation at some point, but we will have to start slow
<akgraner> Garagegoblin, I've been working with a group in Minnesota who gives refurb computers with Ubuntu on it to military families who's service person is deployed
<holstein> but, lucid really is rather light-weight
<Garagegoblin> very nice akgraner, we also did laptops to kids of Ft. Bragg
<akgraner> Garagegoblin, yep exactly
<holstein> so, what can we do as a team for you Garagegoblin ?
<_marx_> so what were the reservations of senoir management?
holstein is in asheville
<holstein> but anything i can do to help out, let me know
<_marx_> hey magedragon25
<Garagegoblin> Well, we give unlimited tech support to our students
<akgraner> Garagegoblin, can you and I touch base next week - I'd like to pass some information to you about some folks at Fot bragg - I have a meeting with some of the MWR folks
<Garagegoblin> ok yea akgraner
<holstein> hey magedragon25
<holstein> you made it
<akgraner> Garagegoblin, thanks!
<akgraner> magedragon25, hey!!
<Garagegoblin> and so we are going to start a pilot program to see what issues basic users that are used to windows may run into while they are getting used to it
<magedragon25> hey all
<_marx_> Garagegoblin: once these machines are out there do they have internet connections
<Garagegoblin> We would like to start collecting from the millions of great how-to's on the web and start a nice collection to be able to give to the students, if they don't have internet at home
<Garagegoblin> no not all sadly
<akgraner> Garagegoblin, awesome! Look at the ubuntu manual project
<akgraner> Garagegoblin, http://ubuntumanual.org/
<Garagegoblin> we are also going to start looking into doing a server/thin client program we would be able to offer to schools that need computer labs they can't get funding for
<holstein> i think it should be offered as an equal alternative
<Garagegoblin> and churches, also that need computer labs
<holstein> i treid to do that at a church not to long ago
<Garagegoblin> right, and that is what we are first going to start with
<holstein> and it just didnt seem right for them
<akgraner> Garagegoblin, holstein has migrated a church/school in the weaverville area
<Garagegoblin> the option of Ubuntu PC's
<holstein> they didnt 'get it'
<Garagegoblin> hahaha, that is one huge concern
<holstein> they spent a lot of money that they didnt have on a windows outfit
<_marx_> what's to "get"
<Garagegoblin> the learning curve for the parents will be much bigger than the kids most times
<holstein> that will be obsolete in a couple years
<holstein> and just as bad off as what they replaced
<holstein> but whatever
<Garagegoblin> hahaha I understand holstein
<holstein> i hope it serves them well
<Garagegoblin> all we can do is try
<Garagegoblin> One major thing that I want to see, is for us to offer training for these machines
<Garagegoblin> We need to first train our volunteers, and then have and help them train the end users
<_marx_> so Garagegoblin what can we do to help?
<holstein> sounds like a great project Garagegoblin
<holstein> why dont you blast the list if we can do anything
<holstein> and you and akgraner talk soon
<holstein> and i can talk to you sometime about what i did at a local church
<Garagegoblin> Thanks, well from the group, anyone local I would love to try to get involved in what we are doing, the more people comfortable with Ubuntu as a volunteer at Kramden the better
<holstein> and hopefully, you can be cranking out refurbed ubuntu boxes in the near future
<akgraner> Garagegoblin, let's come up with some action items that we can do as a team to help you all get started
<holstein> Garagegoblin: whatever i can do from asheville, count me in
<holstein> if you need a support IRC channel or something
<holstein> we can talk about it
<akgraner> as the team is loaded with talent that covers all areas of the Community and OS
<holstein> its tough since the end user probably doesnt have internet
<holstein> be do-able
<_marx_> well contacts in rdu area
<akgraner> I don't mind driving to RDU once a month as long as I know in advance
<Garagegoblin> Well I admit to saying this is still in its infancy but I am glad to get involved with you guys, and appreciate all the support I can get from this team as well
<holstein> akgraner: i would try and go too
<holstein> schedule permitting
<holstein> Garagegoblin: maybe we could get some facetime with the others?
<_marx_> ideas can become action items
<holstein> maybe some of us could come in a couple months?
<holstein> whoever wants to
<Garagegoblin> That would be really cool
<holstein> well, lets do that then
<Garagegoblin> maybe a training session for our management team and volunteers and a nice sitdown as well
<holstein> lets talk next meeting about an acutal date somewhere down the road
<holstein> Garagegoblin: and you can kick that around on your end
<Garagegoblin> yea absolutely
<Garagegoblin> We are going to start the planning of the pilot program to test how many issues, we can solve ahead of time with documentation and training
<_marx_> [topic] new meeting day and time
new meeting day and time
<holstein> what do you think guys?
<_marx_> bad transition
<holstein> do we want to move the meetings?
<_marx_> i made a survey
<_marx_> any week day is good for me
<holstein> cool _marx_
<Garagegoblin> I agree
<holstein> i brought this up
<internalkernel> most days are good for me as well...
<holstein> seems like thurday evendins are not happening
<holstein> for some reason
<akgraner> Tuesday and Thursdays are horrible for me
<holstein> evenings are bad for me
<internalkernel> I think there were some other people that also said they had problems making Thursday night
<holstein> but my off times are not going ot work for you guys
<_marx_> jcg is one
<holstein> monday at 2pm
<holstein> that would be ideal for me
<Garagegoblin> Monday would be fine with me
<holstein> and thats not going to work for anyone here
<_marx_> dang musicians
<akgraner> during the day is perfect for me - but I know other people work so i get why it needs to be after 5
<holstein> so, i will deal with whatever you guys come up with
<internalkernel> should we do a survey monkey for this?
<_marx_> got one
<akgraner> another one??
<internalkernel> push it out to the mailing list, include a forum post as well...
<_marx_> haven't posted it yet
<internalkernel> oh - sorry missed the first few
<holstein> _marx_: yeah, do that
<akgraner> _marx_, you have one right?
<holstein> i really just wanted to see what you guys thought about the idea in general
<akgraner> or do you want me to recycle the one I used beofre?
<akgraner> before even
<holstein> _marx_: does it address the other issue
<holstein> meeting once a month?
<_marx_> well one question should i add a question geographic region of the state
<akgraner> dang I need to get may nails done - I can't type they are just too long grrrrr
<Garagegoblin> personally I think you are not going to be able to accommodate everyone, so pick a couple days and a times and let us chose from there
<akgraner> _marx_, for what purpose - we are all same time zone???
<holstein> and the logs are always there
<akgraner> I say only list Mon, Wed Friday
<akgraner> and 3-7pm
<_marx_> akgraner: i think mine is pretty close to what you did before
<akgraner> b/c if you give Tues Thurs then people will chose those
<_marx_> should i add a regional question?
<akgraner> and the most active people can't make it those days
<holstein> for security?
<_marx_> welcome Garagegoblin
<akgraner> I mean if people want to list where they are from they can - but not sure what we would gain from having it on the survey
<_marx_> regional groups
<akgraner> as people are on LP and can list where they are from there if they want
<internalkernel> we barely have enough for one group...
<akgraner> we really need to encourage people to join LP
<akgraner> as that is the only real means of tracking members
<internalkernel> maybe when we have more people, if we have regional groups - then it's going to be me and holstein hanging out...
<holstein> yeah, and i dont really like internalkernel *that* much
<_marx_> well the regional idea, it's a big state
<Garagegoblin> ok I am going to ask the dumb question...what is LP??
<akgraner> I think we have the infrastructure in place for when we get groups in all areas
<internalkernel> well not like *THAT* anyways,,, ehhh, holstein
<Garagegoblin> oh duh
<internalkernel> so, for starters.. we're talking about mon, wed, or fri 3-7pm
<akgraner> Garagegoblin, we all are at some time - there are no bad questions I should have spelled it out - sorry about that
holstein is glad your here Garagegoblin
<internalkernel> I like the way Mr. Garrison in South Park responds to that
<internalkernel> there are no stupid questions... only...
<internalkernel> Ill save it for an logged channel - so meeting times!
<internalkernel> an /un/logged/ channel
<Garagegoblin> good call internalkernel
<internalkernel> date? was that an invitation?
<_marx_> last call
<internalkernel> meeting times - what's the last word on this?
<holstein> we're going to have a poll
<_marx_> survey posting
<internalkernel> sounds good... awesome... more surveys.
<akgraner> internalkernel, see link above :-P
<internalkernel> we are starting to resemble congress...
<_marx_> without the salaries
<Garagegoblin> more red tape, we NEED more red tape!!!
<holstein> does this cover the meetin frequency?
<internalkernel> Garagegoblin: I agree, I think perhaps a survey to determine the questions on the next survey would be appropriate
<internalkernel> holstein: I think it does
<_marx_> [topic] meeting chair rotation
meeting chair rotation
<Garagegoblin> left to right
<akgraner> Garagegoblin, more cowbell!!!
<holstein> yeah, i guess we really cant do that though right?
<holstein> with Mootbot-UK
<holstein> which means your stuck with it _marx_
<_marx_> the bot won't care
<holstein> unless we can work out a way to do it
<holstein> what i had in mind
<holstein> was whoever wants to chair meetings
<_marx_> no anyone can start a meeting w/moot
<holstein> just say 'i want to chair meetings
<holstein> and then we start rotating
<holstein> if we meet once a month
<holstein> and there are 6 of those folks
<_marx_> you want the next one holstein
<holstein> then thats only twice a year
<holstein> _marx_: sure
<holstein> but i have to see when it is
<_marx_> minor detail
<internalkernel> survey anyone?
<akgraner> I know there is talk for mootbot to be able to handle multiple chairs in the future
<holstein> could we just ask that question on the mailing list
<akgraner> lets just sign up for them
<akgraner> stick a table on the meeting page
<holstein> and just put a list up on the wiki
<akgraner> we can add the dates for the year once the new day and time is decided
<holstein> and if your next and cant do it
<holstein> you just work it out
<holstein> trade or whatever
<holstein> do we need somebody to put that emil together?
<holstein> and post the folks?
<akgraner> holstein, can you do that
<internalkernel> survey says!
<holstein> i will
<internalkernel> sorry couldn't resist that one
<akgraner> once it goes to the list - I an repost it to forums
<holstein> lets all try and talk soon
<holstein> about the survey
<_marx_> [action] marx post survey to mailing list and forum
marx post survey to mailing list and forum
<holstein> it would be nice to know the meeting day before the email
<holstein> i think
<Garagegoblin> I voted already
<_marx_> no prob
holstein is going ot stuff the ballot box
Meeting closed at 23:58
- one more month on the facebook guy
- marx post survey to mailing list and forum