00:01 * skellat waits eagerly
00:01 Cheri703: Well, who all is here for the meeting?
00:02 * paultag can be here
00:03 Cheri703: Quite the turnout!
00:03 * drkokandy is here
00:03 Cheri703: ah, ok
00:03 skellat: And there was more than 48 hours notice this time!
00:03 Cheri703: Well, I'll start off with: we've recently been discussing trying to shift some focus from worrying about in-person events to having online events
00:04 Cheri703: Some discussion was had about video vs voice chat, and while I think mumble is a good idea, it would be hard to get photos of our "event" to send in
00:04 Cheri703: if it's a google hangout, we could at least do screenshots and such. With mumble, a screenshot of the signed in users isn't terribly impressive.
00:05 Cheri703: I think we'd still want to try to do ReLoCo stuff, but as far as trying to get people from larger geographical areas together, it's just not happening, so we'll go with online stuff.
00:05 Cheri703: Anyone have thoughts on that?
00:06 Cheri703: ...
00:06 Cheri703: aaaaanyone?
00:06 Cheri703: crickets
00:06 skellat: At this point I'm continuing to investigate video solutions and have not found anything satisfactory yet
00:06 drkokandy: I agree with trying to get ReLoCos together for some in-person events
00:06 Cheri703: if anyone wants to volunteer to develop an alternative to google hangouts, they're welcome to do that too
00:07 drkokandy: Because without doing some things in person we're wasting the geographic foundation of the LoCo
00:07 Cheri703: drkokandy: we need to schedule one once the temperatures are consistently above 20 degrees again...it's too stinking cold to go anywhere right now
00:07 drkokandy: that is true
00:07 Cheri703: true drkokandy, but as spread out as we are, the geographic foundation is...tenuous
00:08 skellat: I've still got Lake Effect Snow Warning going until 10 AM tomorrow. Wind chills have been hazardous to human flesh for anything but minimal time lengths of exposure.
00:08 * skellat had to go shovel out family cars before tonight's meeting
00:09 Cheri703: Oh, actually: I'll be in Cleveland the evening of 02/15 because I have to spend the night at the airport, if any ubuntu clevelanders wanted to hang out or grab dinner, I'd be game
00:09 Cheri703: I would like to do things in person, and had hopes of doing that at one time, but we seem to be getting sparser and sparser as far as people who actively participate.
00:09 Cheri703: I'd like to see some life in the mailing list/forums at some point.
00:10 skellat: We had fairly good IRC activity today
00:10 drkokandy: we've had a more active IRC than usual these past couple of weeks or so
00:10 Cheri703: yeah, but we have LOTS AND LOTS of people who are technically members of u-ohio and we have 21 signed in to chat right now
00:11 Cheri703: so...irc isn't exactly reaching the masses
00:11 skellat: No, it isn't
00:12 skellat: Then again, how many of the 400+ members actually have any connection or contact with the LoCo at large?
00:12 Cheri703: not many
00:13 Cheri703: Do we have a u-ohio g+ group? does anyone know?
00:13 drkokandy: not one that I'm a part of
00:13 skellat: I don't use G+
00:13 Cheri703: I think a lot of ubuntu folks are on g+, so probably could poke around there
00:13 skellat: We have an Identica group that paultag is the owner of
00:13 paultag: challah
00:13 paultag: Oh man
00:13 paultag: I can transfer
00:13 Cheri703: yeah...identica is....fairly dead afaik
00:13 Cheri703: ?
00:13 paultag: skellat: seeing as how you're an identica master, I'll chown to you
00:14 skellat: Identica is fairly alive Cheri703 and is still being developed
00:14 Cheri703: I've heard of a lot of people having issues with it
00:14 Cheri703: so I dunno
00:14 skellat: paultag: We'll talk about that separately as we may need Evan involved
00:14 paultag: ack
00:14 Cheri703: I think g+ is rapidly becoming a hub of ubuntu stuff
00:15 paultag: erm, hurm
00:15 paultag: skellat: http://identi.ca/group/ubuntuohio ← I'm not an admin D:
00:15 skellat: Identica is getting set to archive about 80% of the accounts as they're inactive and the data is going to go to Archive.org. The active accounts remain active.
00:15 skellat: paultag: Crap! I'll contact Evan separately so I can take control of that myself.
00:16 paultag: ack
00:17 skellat: Cheri703: I thought we had a Page on G+ back during one or the other of my abortive attempts to use the service. I wonder if we still do.
00:18 Cheri703: looks like bioselement made a page
00:18 Cheri703: I'll reach out to him
00:18 drkokandy: Oh, found one: https://plus.google.com/116070181546687340819/posts
00:19 drkokandy: here's the community: https://plus.google.com/communities/113576253272216114772
00:20 Cheri703: sent a message
00:20 Cheri703: hopefully we can get that going a bit
00:20 skellat: I've pinged Evan via Identica to see if I can take control of the group there
00:22 Cheri703: So: Goals for this next month: Try to get some online presence going, whether g+, identica, mailing list, forum, also try to get some sort of local events moving in some capacity somewhere. Mansfield will have one this coming month, if any other areas can get SOMETHING to happen, that'd be great. Even if it's a "I will be at x location at y time with my computer and able to give demos" and have like a sign on your table or something. I dunno
00:22 Cheri703: . SOMETHING that is contact with the outside world.
00:22 Cheri703: I will probably post something to the mailing list tonight just to try to get some conversation going
00:23 Cheri703: well...will probably post within the next week or so. big work thing going on so my brain is a bit...wobbly
00:23 Cheri703: anyone have any other thoughts on that?
00:23 skellat: Nope.
00:24 skellat: I'll be running the educational session next Monday at 10 PM Eastern
00:24 Cheri703: Everyone can participate in getting things going on the mailing list btw
00:24 Cheri703: awesome!
00:24 skellat: I'll be posting the slide deck to SlideShare
00:26 skellat: What metric do we want to use to measure the success of the event?
00:26 Cheri703: I think for the level of participation we usually get to events, HAVING the event is a success.
00:26 skellat: Okay
00:27 skellat: PING: Unit193 jrgifford canthus13 jacob
00:27 Cheri703: I'm serious! We haven't done something like that before, so I consider it a positive thing to be doing it at all
00:27 skellat: Alrighty
00:28 skellat: Is there anything paultag can share with us about the state of Debian efforts relative to Wheezy?
00:29 paultag: current RC bug squash rates place release at about 3 months out
00:29 paultag: if you'd like to see it sooner, fix bugs
00:29 paultag: BSP I'm helping run in Boston @ MIT this weekend
00:29 paultag: questions?
00:29 skellat: So we're looking at April instead of February then
00:29 paultag: yeah, sadly
00:30 paultag: there were some RC bugs found late in freeze
00:30 paultag: and it's set us back a bit, I think.
00:30 paultag: help is welcome, and as always I'd be glad to help anyone get involved
00:30 skellat: And for the record I'll remind folks across the LoCo that efforts to aid Debian in squashing bugs do trickle down to help Ubuntu
00:31 Cheri703: Alright, any other topics for tonight?
00:32 skellat: Any recent contacts with the LoCo Council?
00:32 Cheri703: talked with cztab: unofficially a few weeks ago
00:33 Cheri703: result of that convo was the push toward ANY activity, then working out in-person activity later
00:34 skellat: Laura Czajkowski, you mean?
00:34 * paultag chuckles
00:34 Cheri703: yeah
00:34 skellat: Alrighty
00:35 skellat: Cheri703: Could you ask Laura Czajkowski in her Launchpad-related capacity about whether or not it is possible to change the LoCo team's settings so that e-mail cannot be turned off?
00:36 Cheri703: I think that with spam and opt-in/out regulations we can't force email on anyone
00:36 skellat: Darn
00:36 skellat: Okay
00:36 skellat: I've got nothing else
00:36 Cheri703: I know that if I'd opted out of email and suddenly started getting it again, I'd be SUPER mad
00:36 Cheri703: so...yeah
00:37 Cheri703: ok. I guess that wraps things up for the meeting. I'll (as always) be idling in here, so if anyone has thoughts , feel free to toss them out!
00:38 skellat: Then we stand adjourned, I guess? Our next meeting is our educational session on Monday at 10 PM.
00:38 Cheri703: Yep. Have a good night folks!
00:40 drkokandy: sounds great! Good night all!