Package Management BoF: Tuesday, 1900
Synaptic as default mechanism, not much more.
Lots of shiny new stuff either already here or on the way.
- notification area icon (icon needs work)
- based on cronjob as root for apt-get update can't ask it to update and then download
- runs update-manager or synaptic with gksudo if upgrades are available
- actually show new updates; shells out Synaptic to do the real work (downloading/installing)
- pygtk app: xdg menus translated into add/remove apps, with same structure
- uses its own .desktop files, collected at build time for Hoary
- ui argument about insta-apply vs set stuff + apply vs confirm-on-apply; consensus on instant-apply (because you usually want to only install one application in this use-case)
system settings -> software properties should go
- have this dialog as the Preferences button from g-a-i/synaptic
- fix displayed version (it's 4.10;5.04)
- make the update-intervall configurable
- add action "update" to some point in the menu
maybe there should be some decentralized way to download packages, like BitTorrent, in addition to HTTP download?