Mt Airy Learning Tree Computer Volunteer Group LTSP Project
Team Members (please add your name)
[https://launchpad.net/~kejava Kevin Valentine]
[https://launchpad.net/~jedijf Jim Fisher] Contact # (215) 317-1522
[https://launchpad.net/~randyg Randy Gold]
Currently 'On-hold' while new rooms are being set up
- To establish a fully functional Linux Terminal Server 'Classroom' style working DEMO
- Train the MALT Computer Volunteer Group how to operate and administer the LTSP.
- Conduct Monthly meetings on the LAST WEDNESDAY of EVERY MONTH.
- Take on 'Other Projects' as requested by the Volunteer Group.
Location and Information
New Home: 6757 Greene St Philadelphia, PA 19119
[http://maps.google.com/maps?q=6757+Greene+St,+Philadelphia,+PA Map to NEW location ] BR
Current Project Status: BR
The volunteers were walked through the Ubuntu installation process. Halfway through an LTSP demonstration was provided.
Allow them to explore freely from 7:15 to 8:30 and take questions from 8:30 to 9:00.
The volunteers will EACH pick a task that they currently perform with another OS and complete the same task with Ubuntu. Examples include presentations, drawing, graphics, instant messaging, photo and audio editing.
The numerous ways to find help for Ubuntu will be explored and utilized by participants.
The Build-a-Computer Workshop students would like us to instruct/oversee their installation of a dual boot system featuring Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon.
The MALT participants will be shown how to utilize the various IRC clients available in Ubuntu. Channels that offer HELP and ASSISTANCE will be featured.
1. Install DSL to Compact Flash for use with CF to IDE adapter.BR 2. Test this installation on two of the laptops.BR 3. Verify that the spreadsheet works well with Gnumeric application.BR 4. If 1-3 are good, purchase 6 CF cards and adapters from Microcenter and eBay, respectively.BR 5. Install to rest of laptops at next meeting with MALT CVG classroom on 1/30/2008.BR