debhelper improvements for Python
UDS-P session notes
Standardised way to do testing? setuptools + packaging have "setup.py test"
- it would be nice if distutils would exit 0 here...
- Barry proposes a tool, pyti (GSOC project), that can introspect a package and work out how to test it.
- Barry is working with distutils SIG to get the test info into the egg-info output
- Piotr will rewrite py3multibuild soon, now that 2.7 is the only supported version, this is the priority.
- It will live in python-defaults, target 3 (primarily) and 2.7
dh_python2 in lucid:
- Some bugs seen in oneiric due to dh_python2.
- Doko proposes backporting the maverick dh_python2
- Build flags. There is a standard way of passing flags to setup.py, but this requires patching distutils / setuptools.
dh_python2 transition in oneric:
- Some patches were rejected because lucid doesn't have dh_python2 yet.
- Many patches accepted.
- Many ignored so far.
- Gtk and Gnome converted.
MIR team only accepting dh_python2.
- Python3 can support this relatively sanely.
- How to state support:
- * tox can help test across python implementations.
- pypy still moving too fast to be included, but there are PPAs
Rebuild all python packages that are still have 2.6 extensions. Build lsb with python3 again
- barry to look into getting distutils to exit 0
- slangasek to file a bug about build flags against distribute, python2.7, python3.2
- doko: dh_python2 in lucid
- doko to rebuild python packages with 2.6 extensions
- doko to port lsb again