The readahead lists need to be updated at regular points in the release process to ensure that they closely match a likely installed system.
The recommended points are:
- Before Beta
- Before Final Release
This way each test candidate gives the same speed impression as the final release.
- Download appropriate daily Ubuntu Desktop CD image
- Install in a vmware instance (single CPU, 256MB RAM)
- Boot installed image with "profile" kernel command-line option.
- Copy /etc/readahead/boot out and replace the debian/boot.list file in the readahead-list source package with it.
- Sed out any file with the kernel version number in it.
- Upload with suitable changelog entry.