imported from the old wiki
remove double title
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|= RosettaFAQ =
= Rosetta Frequently Asked Questions =
|Line 9:||Line 5:|
This page collects and answers some frequent questions about the web translating interface [http://launchpad.ubuntu.com/rosetta/+about Rosetta]. For further information, consult the [http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/rosetta-users Rosetta mailing list].
attachment:IconsPage/IconNote.png There are some features that have not yet been implemented in Rosetta. To find out what they are, and to make more suggestions, please read and comment on this page: RosettaWishList
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Rosetta Open/Free Software?
- No, Rosetta is not Open or Free Software at the moment. Rosetta will probably become open source somewhere in the future but we don't have a date.
- I want to translate the upstream project Foo. Can I use Rosetta?
Yes, if you want to translate and upstream project with Rosetta, go to https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/rosetta and look for it. You will be able to translate it from there. If your language is not translated at all, please check in the project's website that there isn't a translation for your language already.
- I don't see the upstream project in Rosetta, how can I import it?
- make sure the upcoming release is registered in Launchpad (add product, add series, add release).
Send by email the URL for the .pot AND ALL PO FILES to email@example.com. This means we can import not just one language, but the complete state of upstream, and it greatly improves the way we can work with upstream.
- Rosetta asked me for plural forms information. What info do you need?
The plural form information is to handle correctly the plurals in your language. You can read more about it [http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_chapter/gettext_10.html#SEC150 here]. As a summary, the rules we need to define are related with the number of objects/things/persons you are talking about, for instance, in English we have:
- 0 items
- 1 item
- 2 items
- 3 items
- n item(s)
- How the plural forms affect Rosetta?
- If you get a message to translate with plural forms, you will get as much entries fields as plural forms defined for your language so you should be aware of your plural form expression and fill the fields as needed.
I am translating an Ubuntu documentation piece in Rosetta (such as aboutubuntu, releasenotes, and quickguide). I come across some strange looking strings such as &convention or <example>. Should I translate them?
- No, these strings should not be translated but should be left as they are!