|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 44:||Line 44:|
| * This spec depends on connman spec.
Launchpad Entry: mobile-karmic-lxde-ubuntu-desktop
Packages affected: lxde, conman
LXDE is a very lightweight and minimal desktop environment using the openbox window manager, the pcmanfm file manager, and a very select list of default applications. It is compatible with basic freedesktop standards and all needed parts are already packaged in Ubuntu today.
Lxdebuntu has been introduced as a lightweight and minimal desktop environment that works particularly well with older legacy PC hardware and devices with less than 256 megs of Ram.
LXDE fulfills a goal that currently Xubuntu, while often suggested, actually fails at, which is working well as a very lightweight desktop environment on "minimal" or very old legacy hardware. This may also be particularly relevant to the introduction of early arm and sub-netbook (such as handheld) devices which may have as little as 64 - 256 megs of ram.
Although we are not explicitly spinning a lxdebuntu distribution (that is, a live cd or usb) at this moment, the goal is to make it possible and easy for someone to do so or otherwise create a lxdebuntu root image. Hence, an explicit ubuntu-lxde seeding meta package will be created, which brings in lxde itself, along with a selection of packages that match the environment, and any ubuntu-izing artwork or default configurations that are chosen.
- A new ubuntu-lxde seed/meta-package will be created that can be used to generate a base "lxdebuntu" desktop or root images with root from scratch / livecd creation scripts.
- conman will be packaged for the ubuntu archive, or alternately wicd selected, for a lightweight connection manager.
Selection of human GTK & Ubuntu-Look for lxde and lxde apps as part of meta package install.
- It is estimated perhaps a week or two would be required to setup a seed for this, including tracking down / deciding on base applications.
Maybe a few days design (art) team & usability to review with human GTK/Icon theme for "Ubuntu-ness" consistency.
- Maybe a week to get a variant of conman updated and to work in place of network manager for user level wifi/network support.
- Minimal resolution of a LXDE device may be 800x600. GDM configuration GUI is not usable at this resolution.
- This spec depends on connman spec.
Upstream site: http://www.lxde.org/
* What is LXDE?
- LXDE is a very light desktop environment widely used in Asia with a large user community, runs fast and currently fits in 64MB memory.
- It's themable, adjustable, has a light filemanager (although horrible usability, maybe something worth investigating)
Could possibly leverage the usability team in order to ready lxde for ubuntu
* current gnome infrastructure (network manager, gnome-keyring, etc): are there any light replacements ?
- xfce just uses the existing gnome tools, runs gnome-settings-daemon and gconf
- there is a Soc project for writing a lightweight NM frontend in its early stages
- there is also a gconf like system in the works for lxde
- .xsession or similar file may be required to launch network manager, update manager, etc since LXDE doesn't load xdg startup apps
* What would it take to integrate it into Ubuntu?
- Connman was mentioned for Network management potentially
- wicd as well
- Ubuntu'ish theming
- Update Manager
- See if the configuration menu has everything the user expects
- Launchpad Integration (ie, translate this application/desktop environment)
- About Lxdebuntu(whatever) menu entry
- The filemanager (pcmanfm) needs usability review and likely having to be cut down on options in the UI
- Gnome Power manager will be massively cut down in the next release
- test lxde in context with the 2D UNR launcher
we will not build an image but a metapackage (i.e. ubuntu-lxde or ubuntu-light) should be created, so users can for example use https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RootfsFromScratch to roll an arm rootfs
- lxrandr is the display management tool used in lxde
- examine the already existing ubuntu based lxde images out there
- check if lxde tools work properly on 1024x576
- lxde testing: ogra, Dan Martin (ARM)
- missing packages: NCommander
- highvoltage will give an ubuntu'ish theme a bash (just switching to the Human GTK and icon theme already makes a *massive* difference)