|| नमस्ते ||
Hello and Welcome ! I am Vidya, an Ubuntu user and active volunteer in [http://www.ubuntu-women.org Ubuntu-Women], [http://www.linuxchix.org Linuxchix], [http://women.alioth.debian.org/ Debian-Women] and [http://dmoz.org/ DMOZ].
- IRC Nick: svaksha @irc.freenode.net
email : email@example.com
[http://www.svaksha.com Personal Weblog]
Co-wrote a [http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2005/10/msg00008.html Sanskrit (SA)] language locale with Christian Perrier (bubulle), which awaits inclusion in the Debian package : belocs-locales-data and also in package: locales (version: 2.3.5-6).
Editor at [http://dmoz.org/profiles/svaksha.html dmoz.org] for anything [http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/Distributions/Debian/Flavours/Ubuntu/ Ubuntu] and [http://dmoz.org/Science/Social_Sciences/Linguistics/Languages/Natural/Indo-European/Indo-Iranian/Indo-Aryan/Sanskrit/ Sanskrit] related.
Set-up [http://www.ubuntu-women.org Ubuntu-Women] and also admin the mailing list.
Designed and wrote the [http://www.ubuntu-women.org Ubuntu-Women.org] website.
- Ocassionally squash bugs on Malone and Ubuntu-bugzilla.
- Currently translate for the Sanskrit localisation of packages in Ubuntu for Indian languages.
Wrote the initial draft for the Indian Loco team & helped set-up Ubuntu-IN loco team.
Wiki's and Teams created
[https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-l10n-sa Ubuntu Sanskrit Translators Team]
[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWomen Ubuntu-Women] wiki
[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWomenMentors Ubuntu-Mentors] wiki
[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IndianTeam Indian Team] wiki
- Cant remember the numbers for the other bugs filed.
Ubuntu & I
Setup [https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWomen Ubuntu-Women] : Currently in the process of creating the web-site. Besides this, I admin its mailing list through which we try and create a open communication medium between people and increase the participation of women in the technical arena. To achieve this, I am trying to learn about packaging, testing and learning other technical details about Ubuntu and its relation with Debian and how they work in tandem.
Advocacy and [https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IndianTeam Ubuntu-IN] :
- To increase Ubuntu-awareness in India, I had distributed my surplus Hoary CD's to many people locally and am happy to note that mostly students used it more than engineers. I plan to distribute the Breezy CD's to local school students and schools.
Increase volunteer translators for Sanskrit. Main impediments are that its a classical language with zero commercial value resulting in low interest as its practically considered a dead language by many people.
- Action plan is := Rather than just evangelising about Ubuntu-Linux and handing out free CD's, a more focussed approach would be to target specific people (non-Linux users willing to try Ubuntu) and install/dual-boot Ubuntu for them if they cant do it themselves.
- Collect old computers and install Ubuntu and donate these to students/people/NGO's who cannot but new machines.
With the setting up of our [https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IndianTeam Ubuntu-IN] team, we plan to spread Ubuntu among local companies, Laptop and PC vendors.
- Increase the visibility by representing and promoting Ubuntu at local FLOSS events.