Revision 1 as of 2012-09-12 02:35:39
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 223:||Line 223:|
|=== Ubuntu Women ===||=== Ubuntu Women Project ===
* Team Meeting [[http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/20120814|August 14th]]
* [[https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2012-August/003591.html|Announced that Ubuntu Developer Summit applications had opened]] and updated the [[http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/UDS|UDS]] page accordingly
* Jessica Ledbetter set up and announced [[https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2012-August/003607.html|Ubuntu Women Project 2012-2013 Leadership Elections Poll]]
August 2012 Team Reports
If your team is not making team reports, see these guidelines for how to do so.
2012-08-02 Meeting (log):
LoCo Council catch up
- Things are going pretty well, trying to find ways of working together, seems a lot of them have a bunch of stuff going on lately in their personal lives
- Had had over 34 to do this cycle, they're down to 15
- Many teams come to meetings for reapproval and others due to timezone difference and language come via email, working out well
One issue seen a lot is team leaders not communicating information from the LoCo Council and other LoCo news down to the rest of their team
- Some continued issues with CDs, including teams having and communicating when there are issues, and confusion about who can request them (team contact vs team leader(s)) but this is improving
A lot of LoCo teams are doing really great work
- Recommended encouraging these teams to be more proactive about sharing their success with the broader community
LoCo Council to see about getting "guest posts from successful teams" on their blog regularly
- Council could do better at taking swifter action on some of the trickier issues they've worked with, "we have ideas and plans, and then we dont seem to be able to push past the discussion to make a decison as we have lots of opinions" - considered making a better effort at having some regular hangouts in spite of time zone issues
- Updates from the CC
The forums council brought to our attention the needed upgrade to 4.x of the forums software, so czajkowski followed up on the ticket and things are moving forward, it's now tossed out to the community to help write the SSO plugin: http://www.jorgecastro.org/2012/07/31/ubuntu-forums-needs-single-sign-on-again/
- The upgrade is required for new spam prevention tools, forums staff are working hard manually managing spam right now, so help is appreciated!
- The CoC rewrite is still pending, when dholbach comes back from vacation he'll merge in some changes we discussed and we'll do another call to the community for final feedback once we've gone through it again
2012-08-16 Meeting (log):
- Ubuntu Membership Board GMT+ catch up
- The new split of the boards is working pretty well to both get good time coverage, and avoid meetings without quorum
Outstanding concern about users in Myanmar who are unable to sign the CoC (thus not eligible for membership), still waiting on detailed response from user so Launchpad folks can find a solution, see here
- There's also sometimes an issue of people not realizing that significant and sustained contributions are required for membership, some think it's a step you take to get permission to contribute
Documentation on Membership is quite clear, but suggested ways this could be simplified (or a simplified version created and linked to more detail) so people are more inclined to read it
- Action: czajkowski to look into into getting the /Membership wiki page translated
- Action: Membership board to look into writing simplified membership page
- Code of Conduct review
Action: YokoZar to push new branch of CoC update based on latest Etherpad, fix grammar
- Confirmed that a the branch will be shared in public
- Issue of Ubuntu Membership being tied to Ubuntu upload rights, particularly in the case of per-package uploads (PPUs) was brought up again
Action: YokoZar to email DMB ~ membership not being required for PPU rights (formerly beuno's action item from July)
- Ubuntu Membership Board GMT+ catch up
Developer Membership Board
Meeting started by Laney at 14:01:21 UTC.
- Review of action items
- micahg to document the zentyal packageset (Laney, 14:03:19). This is still outstanding.
- micahg to ping beuno regarding CC discussion on whether upload rights should confer membership (Laney, 14:03:35). Scott Ritchie started this discussion with the DMB in private. All DMB members are to respond and we are to make a decision outselves.
- stgraber to clean up coredev/motu duplicate package set rights (Laney, 14:05:51). Done.
- remove scott from ubuntu-core-dev until he signs the CoC (Laney, 14:06:49). For clarity, this refers to Scott James Remnant. Done, with a note that if he decides to sign the CoC then he will be readmitted.
- Laney (tumbleweed) to contact the uploaders of unused packagesets (Laney, 14:07:15). Sugar done, schooltool carried. There was a short discussion about other packagesets; see the below action items.
ACTION: laney to delete network-manager packageset (Laney, 14:09:08)
ACTION: laney to contact menesis about schooltool packageset (Laney, 14:09:17)
ACTION: laney to contact TB to see if netbook/unr/mobile packagesets are still needed (Laney, 14:09:29). Done: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/technical-board/2012-August/001363.html
- Per-Package Uploader application: Keng-Yu Lin.
LINK: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Keng-YuLin/PPU (Laney, 14:10:41). ACTION: stgraber to add ppu for lexical to fwts (Laney, 14:55:48)
This application was discussed and voted on. The outcome was:
- Grant Keng-Yu Lin PPU to fwts
- For: 5 Against: 0 Abstained: 0
Members voting for: Laney tumbleweed barry bdrung micahg. Keng-Yu Lin's PPU application for fwts is approved.
- Next chair
ACTION: next chair cody-somerville (tumbleweed) (Laney, 14:58:00)
The meeting ended at 14:58:03 UTC.
- laney to delete network-manager packageset
- laney to contact menesis about schooltool packageset
- laney to contact TB to see if netbook/unr/mobile packagesets are still needed
- stgraber to add ppu for lexical to fwts
- next chair cody-somerville (tumbleweed)
People present (lines said)
- Laney (70)
- kengyu (24)
- meetingology (19)
- micahg (17)
- tumbleweed (13)
- bdrung (9)
- barry (6)
- ScottK (3)
- stgraber (0)
- cody-somerville (0)
14:01:21 <Laney> #startmeeting
14:01:21 <meetingology> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired
14:01:34 <Laney> who's here?
14:01:38 <micahg> o/
14:01:46 <tumbleweed> o/ 14:01:47 * bdrung is here, but ill.
14:01:51 <barry> o/
14:02:23 <Laney> is the agenda current?
14:02:38 * Laney is looking at http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2012/ubuntu-meeting.2012-08-13-19.09.html and seeing things not on there
14:03:04 <micahg> Laney: it is now
14:03:10 <Laney> heh
14:03:11 <Laney> #topic Review of action items
14:03:19 <Laney> #subtopic micahg to document the zentyal packageset
14:03:21 <Laney> pending?
14:03:24 <micahg> yeah
14:03:35 <Laney> #subtopic micahg to ping beuno regarding CC discussion on whether upload rights should confer membership
14:03:47 <Laney> done - yokozar started it
14:04:12 <Laney> we got some +1s - should be able to finish with this before the next meeting?
14:04:21 <tumbleweed> sounds likely
14:04:28 <Laney> ok
14:04:39 <micahg> yeah, if everyone could please respond (DMB members, myself included)
14:04:47 <Laney> will someone get the CC to decide?
14:04:49 <Laney> I'll +1
14:05:16 <micahg> well, the idea was we (DMB) decide and the CC only acts if we're deadlocked
14:05:30 <Laney> oh, so we can just go ahead
14:05:31 <micahg> AIUI at least
14:05:31 <barry> doesn't sound like we're deadlocked
14:05:33 <Laney> sounds good
14:05:51 <Laney> #subtopic stgraber to clean up coredev/motu duplicate package set rights
14:06:02 <micahg> I think this was done as well
14:06:17 <Laney> I also believe that to be the case
14:06:27 <Laney> #subtopic stgraber to clean up coredev/motu duplicate package set rights
14:06:34 <Laney> that's scott remnant fyi
14:06:38 <Laney> oops
14:06:49 <Laney> #subtopic remove scott from ubuntu-core-dev until he signs the CoC
14:06:56 <Laney> & also done
14:07:15 <Laney> #subtopic Laney (tumbleweed) to contact the uploaders of unused packagesets
14:07:24 <Laney> I just pinged Luke about sugar
14:07:32 <Laney> http://people.canonical.com/~stgraber/package_sets/quantal/ which other ones are a concern?
14:07:50 <tumbleweed> is unr used?
14:07:52 <ScottK> Which Scott?
14:07:55 <Laney> I propose to contact the TB as owners to get rid of unr/netbook(/mobile?)
14:08:00 <tumbleweed> ScottK: not you
14:08:03 <ScottK> OK.
14:08:03 <Laney> 27/08 15:06:34 <Laney> that's scott remnant fyi
14:08:07 <micahg> ScottK: keybuk
14:08:25 <ScottK> tumbleweed provided the critical part of the answer to my question.
14:08:43 <Laney> cyphermox just said in #-desktop that networkmanager is unused
14:09:03 <micahg> Laney: schooltool and mobile
14:09:08 <Laney> #action laney to delete network-manager packageset 14:09:08 * meetingology laney to delete network-manager packageset
14:09:17 <Laney> #action laney to contact menesis about schooltool packageset 14:09:17 * meetingology laney to contact menesis about schooltool packageset
14:09:29 <Laney> #action laney to contact TB to see if netbook/unr/mobile packagesets are still needed 14:09:29 * meetingology laney to contact TB to see if netbook/unr/mobile packagesets are still needed
14:09:33 <Laney> ok?
14:09:39 <micahg> sounds good
14:10:33 <Laney> #topic Per-Package Uploader application: Keng-Yu Lin
14:10:41 <Laney> #link https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Keng-YuLin/PPU
14:10:53 <Laney> kengyu: Hey, that's you
14:11:03 <kengyu> hello all. /wave
14:11:10 <Laney> kengyu: Can you introduce yourself and your application please?
14:11:50 <kengyu> I am a Canonical employee; I work in the Hardware Enablement team, we are responsible for the Ubuntu preloads for OEMs.
14:12:20 <kengyu> I am from Taipei, Taiwan, and am also a Ubuntu user for long time.
14:12:44 <kengyu> I am applying the PPU for fwts...
14:13:20 <Laney> Can you quickly explain for the laymen here what fwts is about?
14:13:55 <kengyu> because it is part of HWE team's project, and we offer the software for a various uses (certification, OEM, UEFI plugfest, etc).
14:14:50 <kengyu> it's suite of tests focusing on BIOS (or firmware in others words) and UEFI hardware (we are still working on this).
14:15:25 <bdrung> kengyu: what does fwts stand for?
14:15:51 <kengyu> "FirmWare Test Suite"
14:16:45 <kengyu> the current tests fwts has in documented in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Reference/fwts
14:18:05 <micahg> kengyu: I noticed in https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fwts/0.24.21 you switched from dh-autoreconf to autoreconf, could you please explain why that was done?
14:19:27 <kengyu> it's just because that Lucid does not have dh-autoreconf and Lucid was the LTS at that time, so I decided to keep the latest code working on Lucid.
14:22:41 <micahg> kengyu: were you aware that dh-autoreconf did more than just the configure step?
14:24:15 <micahg> kengyu: also, since I assume you weren't uploading to the archive, dh-autoreconf was available in lucid-backports
14:27:56 <kengyu> micahg, I think dh-autoreconf does not cleaning work. But my original intention was not to "revert" the use of dh-autoreconf and use hand-made 'autoreconf' commands in debian/rules...
14:29:15 <kengyu> I added the dh-autoreconf support in a previous patch. But had another one to use autoreconf because of Lucid support.
14:29:24 <micahg> kengyu: right, which would be fine, but there are two parts and I only saw the configure part in that changelog
14:29:45 <micahg> s/changelog/diff/
14:30:30 <kengyu> micahg, it's good to know that it is in Lucid-backports. at the time I just noticed the build failure in the PPA.
14:31:42 <micahg> kengyu: right, the more important part though is only implementing a partial manual rule in its place
14:33:20 <kengyu> micahg, Yes, thanks for this. This will be something I will work on.
14:33:28 <Laney> thanks
14:33:33 <Laney> does anybody have any other questions?
14:33:51 <tumbleweed> sure
14:33:56 <tumbleweed> kengyu: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=hwe/fwts.git;a=commitdiff;h=ca9a4ac791265e0e4e945c2472aee6650b078d7d
14:34:09 <tumbleweed> does that mean it's ging to get upstream releases soon?
14:34:15 <tumbleweed> *going
14:36:05 <kengyu> tumbleweed, it's the plan. at least releasing as a tarball eases the pain for packaging for other distros (we've seen bug reported from gentoo too).
14:36:17 <tumbleweed> yeah
14:36:24 <tumbleweed> can we expect to see it in Debian, too, then?
14:37:29 <kengyu> I have that as my plan. But it takes some more time before issuing the ITP. the ACPICA code (is in fwts) from Intel has some legal/copyright issue.
14:37:58 <kengyu> there will be some more discussion I expect. 14:38:05 * tumbleweed looks forward to that at some point
14:39:34 <Laney> kengyu: Quick question about the Ubuntu release cycle
14:39:49 <Laney> kengyu: Do you know what Feature Freeze is and how it would impact any uploads of fwts you might perform?
14:40:32 <kengyu> Laney, yes, after that freeze any upload will require the FFE.
14:41:34 <Laney> kengyu: Where can you find out whethere we are in feature (or any other) freeze?
14:41:53 <Laney> also, it's not quite 'any' upload â€” only ones which contain new features (i.e. aren't purely bug fix)
14:42:31 <kengyu> from wiki.ubuntu.com there is a schedule table.
14:42:58 <kengyu> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetzal/ReleaseSchedule
14:43:42 <Laney> kengyu: thanks, that's it from me
14:43:45 <Laney> bdrung: go
14:44:35 <bdrung> kengyu: fwts will fail to build twice in the row once you switch to the "3.0 (quilt)" source format
14:45:42 <kengyu> bdrung, really! I did not notice that.
14:46:02 <bdrung> kengyu: the source package content changes after one build: http://paste.debian.net/185847/
14:46:26 <Laney> that's what micahg was getting at with the autoreconf questions
14:46:44 <bdrung> kengyu: there might be no difference if you use the same autotools version
14:47:39 <kengyu> brendand, ok, I will look at this. there should be more cleaning.
14:47:57 <Laney> it's what dh_autoreconf_clean would do for you if you used that
14:48:12 <bdrung> kengyu: do you check the lintian report including experimental before the upload? lintian found some typos in the source.
14:50:19 <kengyu> bdrung, no, I did check the lintian error/warning. But I just check the ones from pbuilder-dist...
14:50:57 <bdrung> kengyu: lintian has experimental and pedentic tags that are useful to check, too
14:51:32 <Laney> running out of time, let's move on
14:51:34 <Laney> barry: got anything to ask?
14:51:42 <kengyu> bdrung, this is nice to know. I will check it next time.
14:51:47 <barry> Laney: no, my questions have already been asked by others
14:51:51 <Laney> thanks
14:51:52 <Laney> anyone else?
14:52:20 <bdrung> nothing important
14:52:33 <Laney> education can continue elsewhere afterwards
14:52:54 <Laney> #vote Grant Keng-Yu Lin PPU to fwts
14:52:54 <meetingology> Please vote on: Grant Keng-Yu Lin PPU to fwts
14:52:54 <meetingology> Public votes can be registered by saying +1, +0 or -1 in channel, (private votes don't work yet, but when they do it will be by messaging the channel followed by +1/-1/+0 to me)
14:53:08 <Laney> #voters bdrung Laney barry micahg tumbleweed stgraber cody-somerville
14:53:08 <meetingology> Current voters: Laney barry bdrung cody-somerville micahg stgraber tumbleweed
14:53:31 <tumbleweed> +1
14:53:31 <meetingology> +1 received from tumbleweed
14:53:38 <barry> +1
14:53:38 <meetingology> +1 received from barry
14:53:46 <bdrung> +1
14:53:46 <meetingology> +1 received from bdrung
14:53:58 <Laney> +1 good endorsements, good review process upstream
14:53:58 <meetingology> +1 good endorsements, good review process upstream received from Laney 14:54:34 * Laney peers at micahg
14:54:40 <micahg> +1, would love to see this in Debian soon
14:54:40 <meetingology> +1, would love to see this in Debian soon received from micahg
14:55:09 <Laney> #endvote
14:55:09 <meetingology> Voting ended on: Grant Keng-Yu Lin PPU to fwts
14:55:09 <meetingology> Votes for:5 Votes against:0 Abstentions:0
14:55:09 <meetingology> Motion carried
14:55:16 <Laney> congratulations!
14:55:41 <kengyu> thanks.
14:55:48 <Laney> #action stgraber to add ppu for lexical to fwts 14:55:48 * meetingology stgraber to add ppu for lexical to fwts
14:55:54 <Laney> #topic AOB
14:56:47 <Laney> silence is good
14:56:52 <Laney> #topic next chair
14:57:01 <Laney> who is it?
14:57:03 <Laney> I lost track
14:57:08 <barry> cody-somerville
14:57:44 <Laney> or?
14:57:46 <tumbleweed> probably me, in practice
14:57:51 <Laney> ok
14:57:52 <barry> i think so
14:58:00 <Laney> #action next chair cody-somerville (tumbleweed) 14:58:00 * meetingology next chair cody-somerville (tumbleweed)
14:58:02 <Laney> cheers
14:58:03 <Laney> #endmeeting
Ubuntu Development Teams
Ubuntu LoCo Teams
3 Aug 2012 - UbuntuHour Kitchener
15 Aug 2012 - Ubuntu-ca IRC Meeting
15 Aug 2012 - UbuntuHour Waterloo
The wiki has been modified: logging in now requires Launchpad. This changes the usernames, requiring some adaptions to the ACL's and homepages. It is now almost completely done.
Foundation Support Ubuntu-NL
- An meeting in real life is being planned;
- New t-shirts have been ordered;
- The foundation is looking into branded mugs.
German Kubuntu Team
Report of August 2012
- Ubuntu Greece received a copy of the book "The Official Ubuntu Book (7th Ed.)" as a sponsorship of Prentice Hall
See all team's reports here
Team members have talked about Ubuntu related events on "Let's go to Ubuntu-DoJo".
Ubuntu Monthly Report: New features of LibreOffice 3.6
- Ubuntu Weekly Topcis
- Ubuntu Weekly Recipe
Ubuntu Hour in Bijelo Polje: we visited IT company WinWin.
- We started planning a Blog type website for promoting FLOSS
* Preparation for new lectures in Belgrade hacklab and trough Serbia.
* Belgrade SUN Festival civil society and activism.
* ReAprovall meeting.
* On Saturday 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th August Administration team meeting was held.
South African Ubuntu team
Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team
- Preparation for celebration of Free Software “SFD Tunisia 2012″ in cooperation with the "Monastir Science Palace ".
Photo album : http://ubuntu.nizarus.org/SFD-Tunisia-2012?page=8
Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team
United States Teams
US Teams Project
- Team Meetings
- Ubuntu Hours
Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team
District of Columbia Team
Florida LoCo Team
New York State Team
No Report This Month
Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team
* Event: This month's Madison Ubuntu Hour was August 18. This event is on the third Saturday of each month, and is hosted by Madison LUG. The next Madison Ubuntu Hour will be September 15.
* Monthly Meeting: There was no monthly meeting on IRC this month.
Ubuntu Venezuela Team
Additional Ubuntu Teams
Ubuntu Accessibility Team
Ubuntu Beginners Team
Ubuntu Classroom Team
Ubuntu NGO Team
Ubuntu Women Project
Team Meeting August 14th
Announced that Ubuntu Developer Summit applications had opened and updated the UDS page accordingly
Jessica Ledbetter set up and announced Ubuntu Women Project 2012-2013 Leadership Elections Poll