January 2011 Team Reports
If your team is not making team reports, see these guidelines for how to do so.
Americas Regional Membership Board
The approval results from the January 21st Americas Membership meeting are as follows:
Developer Membership Board
EMEA Regional Membership Board
- 2 Escalated issues.
- Meeting minutes
2011-01-08 (Full log)
Offtopic Guidelines: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BenjaminRubin/OfftopicGuidelines
Brief discussion on the merits of amending the IRC Guidelines
- Vote: Add the above to IRC/Guidelines under Language and Subject.
- Final result is 3 for, 0 against. 0 abstained. Total: 3
- Pici to edit the guidelines wiki
Dealing with Ubuntu IRC Problem Users: https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ASFFoXLMT-guZGhoZmZxNG1fNTYyaHB3NzNxZGM&hl=en&authkey=CNCQ__wP
Ask for discussion on the proposal to edit the current Operator Guidelines to include the above.
- nhandler to send the document to the IRC mailing list for discussion
- No new bugs
- Any other business
- ikonia brought up the idea to have the IRC Council create a set of behaviour guidelines for itself
- ikonia suggested that the IRC Council has not lived up to its charter
- To be discussed more extensively with the council and on the IRC mailing list
- tsimpson to complete the fixed agenda items
2011-01-23 (Full log)
- Attendance: nhandler, topyli, tsimpson
- There was some confusion about the meeting date. Since quorum was achieved anyway, we decided to handle one of the agenda items and then meet again at the true meeting date the following week if quorum is achieved.
- Approval of IRC/ShellPolicy
- Implement nhandler's suggestion to s/will/may/ to allow some actual human judgement in determining whether to set a ban.
- Final result is 3 for, 0 against. 0 abstained. Total: 3
- [AGREED] Approve IRC/ShellPolicy
- [ACTION] topyli to announce the approval, update wiki page to remove draft header, and add any links/factoids he feels are necessary to make the page easy to find
- [ACTION] nhandler to update fridge calendar to reflect correct dates for Sunday meeting through end of 2011
- [ACTION] nhandler to do post-meeting actions
2011-01-30 (Full log)
- Attendance: topyli, nhandler, jussi, Pici
- No new bugs
- Review of last meeting's action items:
- nhandler to update fridge calendar to reflect correct dates for Sunday meeting through end of 2011 - DONE
- topyli to announce the approval (of IRC/ShellPolicy), update wiki page to remove draft header, and add any links/factoids he feels are necessary to make the page easy to find - Approval announced. Factoid added. Should link from IRC/Guidelines to IRC/ShellPolicy. Not done, pending approval of council for change. Approved.
- [ACTION] topyli to link from guidelines to shell policy
- Time has passed and I am still unhappy with the councils performance (ikonia)
- ikonia not attending, item deferred pending his availability
- [ACTION] jussi to chair next meeting
- [ACTION] topyli to handle post-meeting items
- Meeting 2011-01-11
- Chair: Kees Cook
- Present: Martin Pitt, Matt Zimmerman, Colin Watson, Scott James Remnant
- Apologies: Mark Shuttleworth
- Guests: Allison Randal, Brian Murray, Jonathan Lange, Kate Stewart
- Action review
- Prior meeting actions were finished, based on review by Colin.
- Version template for -extras
- Settled on $upstream-0extras$YY.$MM.$serial where $YY.$MM is the Ubuntu release version number.
- Reorganizing drivers/owners/release managers permissions in Launchpad
progress being tracked at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaunchpadPermissions
- Action: mdz - Set the release manager to ubuntu-release
- Action: mdz - Review ubuntu-drivers membership and make sure it includes (only) people who need to manage blueprints
- Action: mdz - Review ubuntu-release membership
- Action: mdz - Set the owner/maintainer to techboard
- Action: mdz - announce something to ubuntu-devel-announce
- Action: bdmurray - file bug about bug supervisor not being able to set bug reporting guidelines for Ubuntu as a whole (not just packages)
Action: pitti - file bug about the fact that uploaders cannot target bugs to series (IBugNomination.CanApprove)
- Next chair: Keybuk
- Meeting 2011-01-25
- Chair: Martin Pitt
- Present: Colin Watson, Kees Cook
- Apologies: Mark Shuttleworth, Matt Zimmerman, Scott James Remnant
- Guests: Xavier Robin
- Action review
- mdz - Set the release manager to ubuntu-release: carried over
- mdz - Review ubuntu-drivers membership and make sure it includes (only) people who need to manage blueprints: carried over
- mdz - Review ubuntu-release membership: carried over
- mdz - Set the owner/maintainer to techboard: carried over
- mdz - announce something to ubuntu-devel-announce: carried over
- bdmurray - file bug about bug supervisor not being able to set bug reporting guidelines for Ubuntu as a whole (not just packages): carried over
Default ntpd configuration (104525)
Xavier already asked for X.ubuntu.pool.ntp.org to be created, and it is working.
- Provides round-robin with geolocation, and thus should provide more decentralized service on average
- The only concern is about their quality assessment, otherwise this was regarded as an improvement
- Action: Martin to check with James Troup about current quality experience of pool.ntp.org
Action: Martin to add TB as vendor contact point for http://groups.google.com/group/ntppool-vendors?pli=1
- TB will review this topic again in the next meeting once above actions are done.
- Seamonkey microrelease SRU exception
- Martin and Mark already voted +1 by mail; Kees and Colin voted +1 in meeting
Approved and added to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates/MicroReleaseExceptions
- Next chair: Scott
Ubuntu Development Teams
Xubuntu team report for January, 2011
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
- Triaged over 100 bugs this month.
Packaging, Development, & Testing
- Packaged Xfce4.8 for Natty Narwhal
- Menus in Xfce 4.8 are now editable with any menu editor that meets the freedesktop.org standards. Suggested editor is "alacarte".
Website & Marketing
- The website theme and logo were updated.
- We still need a good plymouth theme.
- We have drawn up artwork specs for Xubuntu wallpaper, and any input is welcomed.
- The new gtk and xfwm4 theme for Xubuntu is now in Natty Narwhal. It is called "greybird".
- The new panel layout including a launcher panel was added to Natty.
- The elementaryXubuntu icon theme has been updated.
- Xubuntu is using the Droid font for default, since it is a lightweight, good visibility font.
- We are striving to get more users to blog about Xubuntu. We would like to get word out of the changes being made, as well as new releases.
- The Xubuntu Community holds a regular meeting on Thursday at 19:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.
Minutes and Logs from the meetings are available at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings.
- The community meeting was held on 2011-01-13, 2011-01-20 and 2011-01-27
- The Xubuntu approved Charlie Kravetz as Project Lead
- the patch sets the default xsession to 'gnome-classic' instead of unity
- didrocks provide fantastic and comprehensive help over months - you ROCK man!
- Website Update
- Kernel development
confirmed agreement with JohnDong still stands, i.e. that Ubuntu Studio members will create package, test backports, and file bugs
- let ScottK know that bug reports should begin soon
- ScottK asked to be pinged on IRC when the first one is ready
- Mailing Lists
Ubuntu LoCo Teams
Team Meetup during LCA 2011 - Brisbane - Ubuntu-AU team tried to take advantage of having more people than usual in the one location and so some of us got together at the Pancake Manor to talk team ideas and generally socialise.
LCA 2011 - Brisbane - Ubuntu-AU stand at the LCA2011 Open day. JaredNorris did a great job of organising us all, and Canonical support led to over 250 CDs and other freebies being distributed. We were able to speak to a large number of people about Ubuntu and the existence of the -AU team (over 500 team business cards distributed!). Photos available at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam/LCA2011Brisbane/Photos
January 16th: booth at computer fair in Leuven
January 23th: booth at computer fair in Hasselt
January 30th: booth at computer fair in Ghent
- Weekly IRC meetings for coordination on January 6th, 13th, 20th and 27th in #ubuntu-be
- 100 T-shirts Ubuntu-be were ordered.
- The Ubuntu-be planet got fixed, and the website team is looking into using/integrating social media better.
- Some work was done to prepare FOSDEM of course.
- Ubuntu Hours in Waterloo, ON (Jan. 12) and Ottawa, ON (Jan. 13)
January 3rd: Interview at BTV, Barcelona local TV, about Ubuntu and the Catalan community http://www.btvnoticies.cat/2011/01/03/ubuntu-un-sistema-operatiu-sense-virus/
January 21st: visit to Vilaweb facilities in preparation for an install party.
January 26th: first visit to laBorrassa - Rural Lab facilities in preparation for Narwhal release party.
- January 29th: Ubuntu Install Party at the II ROBO.TIK days.
January 8th - Premier Samedi du Libre in Paris
This is a multi-distribution small install fest where around 60 people come to get help configuring and installing their Linux system.
- January 10th - weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting
January 12th - "Soirée du libre" in Dijon
An Ubuntu Hour like organised by Ubuntu Dijon
January 13th - Pause Ubuntu in Paris
An Ubuntu Hour like organised by Ubuntu-fr
January 15th - Permanence associative organised by Ubuntu Dijon
A place where users can find help with Ubuntu and free softwares.
- January 17th - weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting
January 20th - "Jeudi de la bidouille" in Lyon
An ubuntu-hour like organised by Ubuntu Lyon
- January 24th - weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting
January 25th - IRC ubuntu-fr LoCo Team meeting on #ubuntu-fr-meeting
Our team meeting to discuss about the last events, the future events, the evolution of our websites, and some other points. agenda, minutes.
- January 26th - meeting for the organisation of the Ubuntu Party in Paris.
- January 31th - weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting
German Kubuntu Team
- Happy 2011!
- Our forum reached 7000 members, an average of 7 new members a day, an indication of Ubuntu's popularity among new users of Linux.
We started a new project, called Ubuntu Women Hungary to support women in our community. The project's site is based on WordPress and BuddyPress and it has many social features, such as activity streams to support the community: http://women.ubuntu.hu/
- The number of registered users on ubuntu.hu has surpassed 20400
We had our monthly IRC meeting on the first Thursday of the month as usual: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HungarianTeam/IRCMeetings
We regularly updated our loco site with the latest news: http://ubuntu.hu
- We did various translation-related tasks
Regular Monthly IRC Meeting was held at 8pm Irish time on Wednesday 19th January 2011.
The Ubuntu Ireland LoCo Podcast crew released their first podcast .
On Thursday 27th of January the Limerick Ubuntu Hour took place in the Absolute Hotel at 18:00.
On Saturday 29th January we held An Evening of Bowling and Other Fun. This was a break away from our traditional pub events. Great fun was had in the Stillorgan Leisureplex. Some photos from the event can be found here & here
- Although it took some time since the original was released, 10.04.1 Japanese Remix was released.
- A team member Nobuto MURATA became a Ubuntu member.
- A team member Hideki Yamane wrote an article about Linux distributions including Ubuntu for the February issue of Software Design.
- A team member AWASHIRO Ikuya wrote an article about Ubuntu 10.10 for the March issue of ASCII.technologies.
South African Ubuntu team
Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team
- Oraganisation of the "Ubuntu User Days classroom"
Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team
- No podcasts - they are on a break
- Events - planning for the Open Source Expo in February
Have been trying to persuade pcspecialist to allow testing (I offered to travel to their factory for this) on three or four selected builds. They are considering this, but at present are reluctant. Also am looking to do something similar with NovaTech. At OpenSource Expo, Alan Cocks (I think it was Alan) said he has made some contacts there, and will pursue this. Barry Drake.
- Made contact with the manager of my local Maplins to offer an Ubuntu demonstration day or evening. The Manager phoned me back to chat, and is very interested. Maybe similar initiatives could be tried? Suggestions? Barry Drake.
United States Teams
US Teams Project
- Published next in the "The Best Wiki Pages You Didn't Know About" series of articles:
- Team meetings:
Conference Pack & 100 Ubuntu & 100 Kubuntu CDs from Canonical received
- Exhibitor pack w/ Conference badges received
- Fleshing out wiki page with items people are bringing
- Ubuntu Hours
Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team
District of Columbia Team
Florida LoCo Team
Please update with FloridaTeam/TeamReports/11/January here.
- January Meeting
New York State Team
Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team
Ubuntu Venezuela Team
Additional Ubuntu Teams
Ubuntu Accessibility Team
Ubuntu Beginners Team
Regular monthly meeting on January 11(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/Meetings/20110111) - 8 members in attendance, 37 minutes long, with cprofitt holding the chair.
Ubuntu Classroom Team
27 Jan: How to use top and similar tools to pinpoint system problems by the_hydra
29-20 Jan: Hosted 20 hours of Maverick Ubuntu User Days
30 Jan: Head Start into Ubuntu Development by coolbhavi
Ubuntu NGO Team
Ubuntu Women Team
Team meeting January 12th
Full Circle Magazine, Issue #45 with interview of Ubuntu Italy contributor Silvia Bindelli
- Received accessibility approval for Melissa Draper's new wiki/site theme
Launched project to promote female participation in the Ubuntu Developer Summit
- Of the 637 Ubuntu Members at the end of this month 5.02% are women (31 January 2011)