November 2010 Team Reports


If your team is not making team reports, see these guidelines for how to do so.

Ubuntu Governance

Americas Regional Membership Board

No applicants were present at the meeting on 2010-11-18

Community Council

Developer Membership Board

Developer Membership Board meeting 2010-11-08 19:00 UTC

  • Chair: Stéphane Graber
  • Present: Benjamin Drung, Cody Somerville, Colin Watson, Emmet Hikory, Michael Bienia
  • Absent: Soren Hansen
  • Action review:
  • Administrative Matters
    • Review Marco Rodrigues participation in Ubuntu Development
      • [ACTION] persia to ask the CC for assistance regarding Marco's request for unban
  • PerPackageUploader Applications

  • MOTU Applications
  • Next meeting
    • Date: November 22nd 2010, 12:00 UTC
    • Chair: Emmet Hikory

Meeting Log

EMEA Regional Membership Board

Forum Council

IRC Council

  • Team Report
    • Locobots replaced with Ubuntulog (in conjunction with LC and canonical sysadmins)
    • Finalised Member approval process and sent to CC for approval
    • Call for new ops for #ubuntu, #ubuntu-offtopic and #ubuntu-ops
    • Call for IRCC nominations
    • Removal of bans without comments
    • Reviewed and worked on shell host ban draft document (not yet completed)
    • Liased with freenode about ways to improve the network (continuing work)
    • Bantracker access added for #ubuntu-women ops
    • 2 Escalated items
  • Meeting Minutes
    • Meeting, 13th November 2010
      • Meeting cancelled because of lack of quorum.
    • Meeting, 28th November 2010
      • Logs available at

      • TOPIC: -offtopic 'support' discussion policy
        • ACTION: Pici to write a proposal for offtopic support and mail to the list for comments
      • TOPIC: Ubuntu IRC name space over crowded and managed to different standards beyond that of the Ubuntu IRC principles.
        • ACTION received: ikonia to draft a set of basic guidelines for channel creation
      • TOPIC: Ubuntu operator recruitment process a waste of time, impractical and not required (

        • VOTE: clarify the process for op applications and remove the wiki page requirement.
          • RESULT: 4 for, 0 against, 0 abstained. Total: 4
      • TOPIC:  Creation of a #ubuntu-ops-backstage channel.
        • AGREED received: Take this proposal to the ubuntu-irc list

LoCo Council

  • We had a LoCo Council meeting on November 16th. Topics discussed:

    • LoCo Team {re}approvals

      • Ubuntu-SE - not approved
      • Ubuntu-VN - not approved

Technical Board

  • Meeting 2010-11-02
    • Chair: Kees Cook
    • Present: Martin Pitt, Matt Zimmerman, Colin Watson, Mark Shuttleworth
    • Apologies: Scott James Remnant
    • Guests: Emmet Hikory
    • Action review
      • Colin to ensure that documentation on nature of archive makes it into process docs, and ensure that ARB legality checks are synchronised with those of ubuntu-archive. carry over

      • Matt to follow up with Brian on 174375 DONE

    • Dynamic "per package upload permissions" for Debian Developers
      • Supported in theory, formal proposal desired, since the details will be the hard part.
    • Micro release exception request for Chromium
      • Approved and documented.
    • Quarterly Brainstorm review
      • [ACTION] Matt to write up Quarterly Brainstorm review and send to TB mailing list.
    • TB meeting moved to 1500 UTC
    • Next chair: sabdfl
  • Meeting 2010-11-16
    • Chair: Martin Pitt
    • Present: Colin Watson, Kees Cook, Scott James Remnant
    • Guests: Scott Kitterman, Allison Randall, John Lenton, Eric Casteleijn
    • Action review
      • Colin to ensure that documentation on nature of archive makes it into process docs, and ensure that ARB legality checks are synchronised with those of ubuntu-archive. DONE

      • Matt to write up Quarterly Brainstorm review and send to TB mailing list. DONE

    • KDE micro version update exception
    • couchdb on lucid: backport 1.0

      • UbuntuOne cloud servers got updated to couchdb 1.0 to handle the load and SSL

      • According to README and James Westby, the 0.10 -> 1.0 upgrade needs to be done manually for the system wide instance

      • Impact on per-user couchdbs to be clarified
      • API is said to not have changed "much", but any change will break existing couchdb applications, and thus needs to be clarified and evaluated
      • will cause problems with shared home directories and clients with mixed 1.0/0.1 packages
      • To be investigated by U1 team: introduce couchdb-1.0 package into lucid; what other packages need to be changed, what's the impact?
      • To be re-discussed at next meeting with more information on the wiki page
    • ARB exception proposal

      • Public python libraries shouldn't be a matter for these packages
      • Private libraries could be kept in the app dir by setting sys.path
        • Can quickly templates be updated in lucid to automatically add the application dir to sys.path?
        • Non-quickly apps would have a requirement to set this up by themselves; is that practical?
      • .pyc files are not a must, so we could ship maverick packages without them
      • general opinion was that making an exception for desktop files only would be okay
      • Some discussion whether using a vendor prefix in /opt would make sense
    • Next chair: sabdfl (carried over)
  • Meeting 2010-11-30
    • Log:

    • Chair: Matt Zimmerman
    • Other members present: Martin Pitt
    • Guests: Allison Randall, John Lenton, Eric Casteleijn, Rick Spencer, Stuart Langridge, Emmet Hikory
    • Action review
      • KDE microversion SRU docs - done
    • couchdb lucid backport SRU - John Lenton

      • Continuation from the previous meeting
      • We enumerated options for the Ubuntu One team to restore lost functionality in Ubuntu 10.04 resulting from the CouchDB 1.0 server-side update. The options supported by the TB members present were:
        • option 1: parallel package couchdb 1.0, update desktopcouch to use it, and release via SRU exception
        • option 3: update couchdb to 1.0 in backports, superseding 0.1 in lucid
        • option 4: do nothing, focus on natty, move on
      • The U1 team will decide which option to pursue based on available resources and business considerations
    • ARB exception proposal - Allison Randal

      • Continuation from the previous meeting
      • Allison's proposal was supported by the TB members present:
        • Allow .desktop files to be installed outside /opt.
        • In Natty, we'll modify Quickly, cdbs, python-support, and related packages o support installation in /opt.
        • For Maverick, accept that .pyc files and version symlinks won't be generated for Python libraries.
        • For Maverick, ARB will perform manual package fixes on proposed applications, to install in /opt and load libraries from /opt.
        • Binaries only in /opt (no exceptions for Maverick), will not be in $PATH.
        • Official install location is /opt/ (with version number? i.e. "/opt/")

Ubuntu Development Teams

Reviewers Team

Xubuntu Team

Xubuntu team report for November, 2010

Bug Triage

  • Still squashing bugs. This will be an on-going process.

Packaging, Development, & Testing

  • Inclusion of Xfce 4.7.x (future 4.8) is being worked on in natty.

Website & Marketing


  • We still need a good plymouth theme.
  • Charlie is working with the Ubuntu Artwork Team to draw a specification for xubuntu artwork in Natty Narwhal.
  • ochosi is working on updating the faenza icon theme to include all icons.
  • ochosi is updating the bluebird theme to create greybird for possible inclusion in Natty Narwhal.
  • Xubuntu needs an Artwork Lead. Contact us per if interested or email


  • We are striving to get more users to blog about Xubuntu. We would like to keep word out of the changes being made, as well as new releases.
  • We are attempting to submit new articles to Ubuntu Weekly News at least once a month about Xubuntu.
  • A community meeting was held on 2010-11-18. It was decided that meetings will be held weekly through December on Thursdays.
  • A community meeting was held on 2010-11-25.
  • Minutes and logs from the meetings are available at

  • Xubuntu needs to nominate and vote for a permanent Project Lead. Nominations are explained in


Ubuntu Studio

Ubuntu LoCo Teams

Argentina Team

Asturian Team

Australian Team

Belgian Team

Cameroonian Team

Canadian Team

Catalan Team

  • November 1st: LoCo meeting about last minute praparations for Maverick release party.

  • November 5th: JosepGallart spoke about Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat and the release party on Catalan radio program l'Extraradi from Com Ràdio.

  • November 6th: Maverick Release Party at CTUG venue in Granollers, near Barcelona. Pictures 1 Pictures 2

  • November 11th: JosepGallart spoke about Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat and the release party on a Balearic radio program from SOM Ràdio.

  • November 16th: LoCo meeting about sensation from Maverick release party and thing to improve next party.

  • November 20th: Maverick Release Party at Ca Revolta venue in València.

Chilean Team

Ubuntu Colombia

Danish Team

Ecuador Team

French Team

  • November news :
  • November 5th to 7th - Ubuntu Party in Paris - conferences, workshops, classes, demonstrations, webradio, streaming video, installs - 150 benevolents, 3000 visitors, report

  • November 9th - IRC meeting in #ubuntu-fr-meeting channel on Freenode for the debriefing of the Ubuntu Party in Paris friday, an education oriented day. minutes.

  • November 10th - weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting
  • November 13th - Install Party in Brives-la-Gaillarde - conferences, installs - 80 visitors, report

  • November 15th - weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting
  • November 15th - Rendez-vous Ubuntu in Paris, it's a flash ubuntu hour organised in the afternoon for the evening, 6 people show up, not bad.
  • November 16th - Install Party Maverick in Lille
  • November 17th - Install Party in Paris 8 university
  • November 20th - Install Party in Marseille - conferences, installs
  • November 20th - Ubuntu Party in Toulouse - conferences, installs, workshop - 700 visitors
  • November 20th - Maverick Party in Bordeaux - conferences, demonstrations, webradio, installs - 60 visitors, report

  • November 22th - weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting
  • November 27th - Debriefing Ubuntu Party in Paris - starting to organize the next. report

  • November 29th - weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting
  • November 30th - IRC meeting in #ubuntu-fr-meeting channel on Freenode of the association Ubuntu-fr. agenda, minutes

German Kubuntu Team

Greek Team

  • Four new moderators chosen for the forum by the members. Congrats and keep up the good work!
  • Ubuntistas, community's magazine, issue 10 is out! You can check it out (in Greek) here. Congratulations to the members who man the magazine's team!

  • Our team's planet is up and running at

Honduras Team

Hungarian Team

  • Presenting at the Infoera Conference (a conference for ITC teachers) at Füzesgyarmat about Ubuntu (November 26): Photos

  • The number of registered users on has surpassed 19700
  • We had our monthly IRC meeting on the first Thursday of the month as usual:

  • We regularly updated our loco site with the latest news:

  • We did various translation-related tasks

Ubuntu Ireland

  • Members of our loco, gave out Ubuntu cds at the Business Value of Open Source on the 16 November. Write up here

  • Regular Monthly IRC Meeting was held at 8pm Irish time on Wednesday 17th November 2010.

  • On Wednesday 24th of November the Dublin Ubuntu Hour took place at 19:00 in the Trinity Capital Hotel.

  • On Thursday 25th of November the Limerick Ubuntu Hour took place in the Absolute Hotel at 18:00.

  • Members of our loco, are giving a hand running a Christmas quiz. next month. Planing is under way.

  • Members of our loco made a more interactive facebook page, Ubuntu-ie.

Ubuntu Israel

  • We helped spread the word of Open source software and ubuntu on the open source day in Israel.
  • We had a booth on the biggest sci-fi convention in Israel, the Icon. In this event we gave over 200 Ubuntu CDs, sold Ubunchu comics and earned 500₪ (about 100 Euro) of donations.
  • We have started to push all the part of publishing Ubuntu, so we have printed Ubuntu fliers and Credit cards. for that we have also got a donation from "Hamkor" association for having a rollup for our booths.
  • we have started planning our Ubuntu 10.10 Release party Smile :)

Japanese Team

Korean Team

Nicaraguan Team

  • 06 Nov:
    • POSOL Ep.16 released by Team POSOL (Leandro Gomez, Jose Ernesto Davila, Norman Garcia and Marcelo Gutierrez).

  • 15 Nov:
  • 16 Nov:
    • Team members participated meetting with CCEN

  • 20-21 Nov:
    • "Digital Technoogy for civil society" workshop in Santiago de Chile. Norman Garcia gave a workshop about digital security for NGO´s and a talk about Ubuntu.

  • 22 Nov:
    • POSOL Ep.17 released by Team POSOL (Leandro Gomez, Jose Ernesto Davila, Norman Garcia and Marcelo Gutierrez).

  • 30 Nov:

Norwegian team

Philippine Team

Quebec Team

Romanian Team

Russian Team

Serbian Team

South African Ubuntu team

Swiss Team

Ubuntu Tunisian LoCo Team

Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team

United States Teams

US Teams Project

Ubuntu California

Team meetings:

Ubuntu Hours:


Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team

District of Columbia Team

Florida LoCo Team

  • Team Meeting held in #ubuntu-us-fl November 16th.

Iowa Team

New York State Team


  • 20101106 6pm - 9pm NY State Ubuntu LoCo Launch Events Combined Launch Events

  • 20101106 6pm - 9pm NY State Ubuntu LoCo Finger Lakes Launch and Holiday Party Barnes and Noble @ RIT

  • 20101106 6pm - 9pm NY State Ubuntu LoCo New York City Area NYU Stern

  • 20101106 6pm - 9pm NY State Ubuntu LoCo Central New York Syracuse

  • 20101120 12pm - 4pm cws, deejoe and cprofitt will co-sponsor a Linux Workshop with Interlock Rochester
  • 20101120 9am - 4pm cprofitt will hold a hands-on lab for educators at NYSCATE 2010 Hands-on Lab



Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team

Ohio Team

Pennsylvania Team

Virginia Team

Washington Team

Ubuntu Venezuela Team

Zimbabwe Team

Additional Ubuntu Teams

Ubuntu Accessibility Team

Accessibility Team Report for November 2010

Ubuntu Beginners Team

Ubuntu Classroom Team

Ubuntu NGO Team

Ubuntu Women

TeamReports/November2010 (last edited 2010-12-03 17:43:34 by alderaan)