20110129

Ubuntu Youth Meeting Log from January 29'th, 2011

Topics of Discussion

Who

What

zkriesse

Start of meeting, and such

zkriesse

Welcoming message

zkriesse

Topic 1 - Project(s) Status & Completion Dates

zkriesse

Topic 2 - New Members of the Council

zkriesse

Topic 3 - New Membership Process Discussion

zkriesse

Topic 4 - Slightly New Team Process/Ideas

All Participants

Topic 5 - Any concerns, questions, or ideas? Please, bring them up!

Meeting Log

   1 Started logging meeting in #ubuntu-meeting
   2 [11:04:25] * arch_is_awesome is Laughing
   3 [11:04:45] <nisshh> can i get a headcount to see who is here then please
   4 [11:04:54] <serfus> o/
   5 [11:04:57] * phillw here
   6 [11:04:57] <Mkaysi> o/
   7 [11:05:08] <nisshh> arch_is_awesome, ?
   8 [11:05:09] <MH0> o/
   9 [11:05:09] * arch_is_awesome is ponging
  10 [11:05:13] <nisshh> cool
  11 [11:05:19] <nisshh> ok, first topic
  12 [11:05:19] <MH0> arch_is_awesome: Say "o/"
  13 [11:05:25] <skfin> o/
  14 [11:05:32] <shadeslayer> o/
  15 [11:05:33] <arch_is_awesome> Oops, I just usually use ping pong okay
  16 [11:05:36] <arch_is_awesome> o/
  17 [11:05:42] <nisshh> [TOPIC]Project(s) Status & Completion Dates
  18 [11:06:02] <nisshh> now, i dont know who is actually doing projects, anyone?
  19 [11:06:13] <shadeslayer> i'll be in and out of this channel .... so just ping me if you want something from me :P
  20 [11:06:23] <nisshh> shadeslayer, ok
  21 [11:06:35] <Kaia> o/
  22 [11:06:36] <hakimsheriff> wait i will be back
  23 [11:06:44] <MH0> I can do a few projects
  24 [11:06:50] <MH0> Just need the ideas :)
  25 [11:06:54] <nisshh> serfus, do you know?
  26 [11:07:01] <arch_is_awesome> I might reboot my computer at some point, I am having problems with peripherals
  27 [11:07:01] <MH0> I can work on that youth.ubnut.com
  28 [11:07:01] <serfus> i think AndrewMC was about to start mentoring
  29 [11:07:09] <nisshh> was he
  30 [11:07:10] <nisshh> ok
  31 [11:07:18] <MH0> serfus: Its okay
  32 [11:07:26] <skfin> nisshh: I have a project about getting planet stable and not to break every day, estimated completion date: never
  33 [11:07:30] <phillw> nisshh: the guy who was going to do the website has had to resign, there is a replacement available, but the council would need to discuss that as it does them access to my server.
  34 [11:07:46] <nisshh> skfin, ok
  35 [11:07:59] <nisshh> phillw, yep, we can talk about that later in -council then
  36 [11:08:00] <MH0> phillw: Can we pijng in -council after meeting? :)
  37 [11:08:37] <nisshh> ok, shall we move on then?
  38 [11:08:44] <MH0> nisshh: Yup
  39 [11:08:48] <nisshh> ok
  40 [11:08:49] <phillw> of course, the agreement last meeting is that I only give root access to one person.
  41 [11:09:15] <nisshh> [TOPIC]New Members of the Council
  42 [11:09:18] <nisshh> ok
  43 [11:09:27] <nisshh> as far as i know, the only changes here
  44 [11:09:34] <nisshh> are two new members
  45 [11:09:36] <arch_is_awesome> I have never gone to a meeting before.
  46 [11:09:47] <MH0> arch_is_awesome: Stay cool :)
  47 [11:09:48] <nisshh> me and MH0
  48 [11:09:57] <MH0> :)
  49 [11:09:59] <nisshh> MH0, michaelh?
  50 [11:10:12] <MH0> nisshh: Yeah Im michealH
  51 [11:10:15] <nisshh> ok
  52 [11:10:24] <serfus> i'm quite new as well
  53 [11:10:34] <nisshh> and jasono also got op in -youth
  54 [11:10:39] <nisshh> ok, and serfus :)
  55 [11:10:53] <arch_is_awesome> Quick Question - Does launchpad keep track of members?
  56 [11:10:54] <MH0> So If you need me or ryan I have no issues with people PMing me
  57 [11:10:58] <MH0> arch_is_awesome: Yes
  58 [11:11:07] <MH0> arch_is_awesome: Verified members are added
  59 [11:11:21] <nisshh> ok, moving along
  60 [11:11:33] <arch_is_awesome> One sec. what is the launchpad page?
  61 [11:11:49] <serfus> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-youth
  62 [11:11:49] <nisshh> http://launchpad.net/ubuntu-youth
  63 [11:11:51] <nisshh> i think
  64 [11:11:52] <arch_is_awesome> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-youth ?
  65 [11:11:58] <arch_is_awesome> Ahh.
  66 [11:11:58] <nisshh> thats the one yes
  67 [11:12:03] <nisshh> forgot the tilde
  68 [11:12:25] <serfus> arch_is_awesome, seems like you are already a part of the team
  69 [11:12:29] <arch_is_awesome> For some reason I am on the list....
  70 [11:12:42] <arch_is_awesome> That is what I meant.
  71 [11:12:57] <nisshh> arch_is_awesome, i think i accidently approved you the other day, before we got a chance to vote you in :)
  72 [11:13:05] <arch_is_awesome> Member since: 2010-02-16
  73 [11:13:09] <hakimsheriff> so lets vote now
  74 [11:13:14] <nisshh> oh ok
  75 [11:13:54] <nisshh> ok
  76 [11:14:09] <skfin> Is AndrewMC around?
  77 [11:14:13] <nisshh> [VOTE] Membership of arch_is_awesome
  78 [11:14:23] <serfus> skfin, no he isn't
  79 [11:14:26] <serfus> +1
  80 [11:14:28] <Mkaysi> +1
  81 [11:14:29] <Muscovy> +1
  82 [11:14:30] <nisshh> +1
  83 [11:14:33] <hakimsheriff> +1
  84 [11:14:35] <Kaia> +1
  85 [11:14:37] <skfin> +0
  86 [11:14:56] <nisshh> [ENDVOTE]
  87 [11:14:59] <nisshh> ok
  88 [11:15:06] <nisshh> welcome to the team arch_is_awesome
  89 [11:15:08] <serfus> arch_is_awesome, welcome aboard!
  90 [11:15:10] <skfin> I dont know enough about him to vote for :)
  91 [11:15:15] <skfin> Welcome anyways!
  92 [11:15:15] <hakimsheriff> Welcome!!!
  93 [11:15:18] <arch_is_awesome> Thanks.
  94 [11:15:37] <nisshh> arch_is_awesome, maybe you could tell us a bit about yourself then>
  95 [11:15:38] <nisshh> ?
  96 [11:15:49] <arch_is_awesome> Okay then,
  97 [11:15:54] <nisshh> just quickly
  98 [11:16:12] <arch_is_awesome> I usually use chakra or ubuntu linux, I know python and pyqt
  99 [11:16:23] <skfin> +1 :)
 100 [11:16:24] <arch_is_awesome> Also I am 12, live in jacksonville, FL USA
 101 [11:16:28] <phillw> arch_is_awesome: having a wiki page is always handy :)
 102 [11:16:31] <nisshh> nice
 103 [11:16:39] <nisshh> +1 to what phillw said
 104 [11:16:42] <arch_is_awesome> I am in 6th Grade
 105 [11:16:54] <arch_is_awesome> Okay, all done (for now)
 106 [11:17:00] <Kaia> arch_is_awesome: you have a launchpad page don't you?
 107 [11:17:09] <arch_is_awesome> https://launchpad.net/~stephenmac7
 108 [11:17:19] <Kaia> ^link to arch_is_awesome
 109 [11:17:21] <nisshh> phillw, do you know anything about the new team process/etc? (the next topic)
 110 [11:18:20] <nisshh> phillw, ?
 111 [11:18:23] <phillw> nisshh: we are recruiting council members, that way there should always be enough around for meetings.
 112 [11:18:35] <hakimsheriff> i want to be 1
 113 [11:18:35] <nisshh> ok
 114 [11:18:54] <nisshh> hakimsheriff, we offer, not the other way around :)
 115 [11:19:19] <hakimsheriff> okay, sorry
 116 [11:19:20] <nisshh> ok, do we have any other new members that need voting on?
 117 [11:19:22] <phillw> they must have signed the CoC and have a wiki page for them to be considered.
 118 [11:20:00] <arch_is_awesome> I have seen Zach's wiki page, I am not so sure I can write that much about myself
 119 [11:20:14] <serfus> arch_is_awesome, i will help you, don't worry :)
 120 [11:20:18] <nisshh> arch_is_awesome, it doesnt need to be that extensive
 121 [11:20:31] <nisshh> ok, moving along
 122 [11:20:34] <Mkaysi> arch_is_awesome: My wikipage is better example. It's so small. http://wiki.ubuntu.com/mkaysi
 123 [11:20:41] * pedro3005 appears
 124 [11:20:46] <arch_is_awesome> I'll take a look,
 125 [11:20:56] <nisshh> [TOPIC]Slightly New Team Process/Ideas
 126 [11:21:00] <nisshh> ok
 127 [11:21:07] <phillw> arch_is_awesome: you ought to try https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw
 128 [11:21:10] <phillw> lol
 129 [11:21:12] <nisshh> so apart from the council recruiting new members
 130 [11:21:24] <nisshh> does anyone have any idea's for the team?
 131 [11:21:54] <arch_is_awesome> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw is quite extensive :)
 132 [11:21:56] <nisshh> Mkaysi, arch_is_awesome, phillw, serfus, ?
 133 [11:22:02] <hakimsheriff> helping people getting more involved with ubuntu teams
 134 [11:22:03] <serfus> i know about the mentoring plan, tough not enough
 135 [11:22:12] <nisshh> yes
 136 [11:22:15] <MH0> Oop.. Havent been watching
 137 [11:22:21] <nisshh> serfus, we must ask zach about that :)
 138 [11:22:24] <pedro3005> well, if I may, I was discussing that in the channel recently. It seems that there's too much attention to the infrastructure of the team (i.e. bureaucracy) and not much attention to actually doing stuff
 139 [11:22:28] <arch_is_awesome> nisshh: Thinking...
 140 [11:22:39] <skfin> I will be away now on, please ping me if you guys need me->
 141 [11:22:56] <arch_is_awesome> pedro3005, I agree, that is what I was about to say... :)
 142 [11:22:59] <nisshh> pedro3005, yes, the mentoring system will change that soon, although ideas are welcome
 143 [11:23:08] <phillw> I'm pretty full with padawans at the moment, I'd like jasono to get involved to further his knowledge.
 144 [11:23:33] <nisshh> thats cool
 145 [11:23:38] <serfus> i just took arch_is_awesome as my "padawan"
 146 [11:23:48] <arch_is_awesome> About the mentoring system, how exactly is that going to work? Email, Jabber, or what?
 147 [11:24:11] <nisshh> arch_is_awesome, tbh, im not sure, its something zkreisse has been working on, i have yet to ask him about it
 148 [11:24:18] <Mkaysi> Email, Jabber or IRC.
 149 [11:24:22] <nisshh> i assume that IRC/email will be used
 150 [11:24:26] <serfus> arch_is_awesome, i will catch you up after the meeting
 151 [11:24:26] <Kaia> Can i be your padawan serfus?
 152 [11:24:27] <arch_is_awesome> query?
 153 [11:24:42] <arch_is_awesome> or in some mentoring channel?
 154 [11:24:50] <arch_is_awesome> (If it is IRC)
 155 [11:24:53] <serfus> not a channel i don't think so
 156 [11:24:54] <nisshh> arch_is_awesome, i would say, just in -youth
 157 [11:24:56] <phillw> arch_is_awesome: I finally nagged the UBT council into submission and bioterror is the 1st mentor (I quickly sold his slave to him :P )
 158 [11:25:22] <nisshh> anyone have anything else to say before we move on?
 159 [11:26:05] <serfus> guess not :P
 160 [11:26:05] <nisshh> ok
 161 [11:26:06] <arch_is_awesome> Yes, the mentoring, what is the plan (meaning how is it going to work)
 162 [11:26:27] <phillw> nisshh: can you post up the UBT link onto your wiki area?
 163 [11:26:31] <nisshh> arch_is_awesome, like i said before, i dont know the details, i will ask zach as soon as i see him though :)
 164 [11:26:44] <nisshh> phillw, what link?
 165 [11:26:46] <arch_is_awesome> Are the metors going to see what the users know and then build on that?
 166 [11:26:52] <arch_is_awesome> nisshh okay
 167 [11:27:01] <serfus> there is no a complete plan
 168 [11:27:02] <serfus> yet
 169 [11:27:10] <arch_is_awesome> Okay, moving on...
 170 [11:27:32] <nisshh> arch_is_awesome, basically, as most mentoring systems work, each mentor will be assigned one or more mentee's and then they can sort of guide them
 171 [11:27:36] <nisshh> thats all i know
 172 [11:27:48] <nisshh> righto
 173 [11:27:50] <arch_is_awesome> Okay then, that is enough.
 174 [11:28:09] <nisshh> [TOPIC]Any concerns, questions, or ideas? Please, bring them up!
 175 [11:28:20] <nisshh> ok, if anyone has any questions, go ahead
 176 [11:28:20] <MH0> nisshh: Right
 177 [11:28:21] <Mkaysi> I know that padawans are called as slaves, but they are only joking (but I think that they aren't).
 178 [11:28:31] <MH0> I want to say something
 179 [11:28:37] <nisshh> MH0, go ahead
 180 [11:28:47] <phillw> nisshh: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/
 181 [11:28:56] <nisshh> phillw, what about it?
 182 [11:29:05] <MH0> Earlier there was a spam attack outside UY, and I think us (the council) needs to defibne what to do as being as some spam links may not be nice to see
 183 [11:29:38] <MH0> We need to think of a policy to deine such a thing
 184 [11:29:48] <arch_is_awesome> I agree
 185 [11:29:49] <MH0> I think AndrewMC, had one, thoguh
 186 [11:29:55] <nisshh> but if this attack happened in channels outside of the youth teams, i dont see it as our issue?
 187 [11:29:56] <Mkaysi> MH0: evilMichealH +1 supybot with badwords (with URLs) +2
 188 [11:30:05] <nisshh> zkriesse, hey
 189 [11:30:09] <nisshh> you late
 190 [11:30:12] <nisshh> your*
 191 [11:30:12] <zkriesse> I know
 192 [11:30:17] <zkriesse> Internet troubles
 193 [11:30:19] <nisshh> zkriesse, we are on the last topic :)
 194 [11:30:23] <Mkaysi> nisshh: #ubuntu-stack was attacked by spamming.
 195 [11:30:40] <zkriesse> nisshh: Who's chairing
 196 [11:30:41] <MH0> zkriesse: Can you +Vv arch_is_awesome In UY
 197 [11:30:46] <nisshh> Mkaysi, right, which is not our channel, so i fail to see what it has to do with us
 198 [11:30:48] <MH0> zkriesse: nisshh
 199 [11:30:52] <phillw> MH0: there has been a discussion on the doc email list about spam attacks, the best way is for those who know wiki to subscribe to the pages, that way they get alerted for every change and can see the changes.
 200 [11:30:54] <Kaia> hey zkriesse
 201 [11:30:57] <serfus> i don't think we should involve bans with other channels
 202 [11:31:21] <nisshh> agreed
 203 [11:31:24] <MH0> serfus: But spam links may not be very Touth freindly esp. from spambots
 204 [11:31:29] <MH0> *youth
 205 [11:31:44] <nisshh> MH0, we only need to moderate spam in the youth channels
 206 [11:31:48] <arch_is_awesome> agreed
 207 [11:31:50] <phillw> MH0: there are so many of us admin to go around!
 208 [11:31:59] <Mkaysi> If spambots are attacking #ubuntu-stack why they couldn't attack #ubuntu-youth ?
 209 [11:32:02] <serfus> sure, but we have no sign that he will attack our channel
 210 [11:32:04] <nisshh> outside of that, its not something the youth team can really control
 211 [11:32:13] <zkriesse> They haven't, it's not our channel, if they do we'll do something
 212 [11:32:24] <nisshh> exactly
 213 [11:32:28] <MH0> Okies
 214 [11:32:29] <zkriesse> But until they do we have our own channel to maintain...plus we haven't been ASKED to help that channel
 215 [11:32:32] <MH0> Just a idea :)
 216 [11:32:54] <hakimsheriff> i agree with zkriesse
 217 [11:33:01] <Mkaysi> IDEA: Setup supybot with BadWords and add spam URL:s as badwords.
 218 [11:33:02] <MH0> I was talking about a poliy for spams outside UY to be banned inslide UY incase spambots had bad links
 219 [11:33:33] <nisshh> Mkaysi, we arent putting your bot in -youth, its way too spammy
 220 [11:33:37] <serfus> i too agree with zkriesse and nisshh
 221 [11:33:53] <arch_is_awesome> I agree with serfus
 222 [11:33:59] <nisshh> ok
 223 [11:34:01] <Mkaysi> nisshh: My bot would cause problems, and I am not talking about it.
 224 [11:34:15] <nisshh> heh
 225 [11:34:17] <nisshh> ok
 226 [11:34:23] <nisshh> anyone have any other questions?
 227 [11:34:43] <Mkaysi> nisshh: Ubot4 is supybot? Couldn't it do that? (BadWords is comes by default in supybot)
 228 [11:34:46] <nisshh> zkriesse, im charing btw
 229 [11:34:47] <zkriesse> Ok, while a team opinion is good on such a matter on spambots in other channels, ultimately somthing of that nature would be a council decision
 230 [11:34:53] <nisshh> chairing*
 231 [11:35:02] <zkriesse> nisshh: So i've noticed...I appreciate you taking charge
 232 [11:35:05] <nisshh> Mkaysi, im not familiar with the bots
 233 [11:35:20] <nisshh> zkriesse, yeah, it was either me or serfus really
 234 [11:35:35] <MH0> nisshh: And me? :P
 235 [11:35:46] <serfus> MH0, you were not here as well
 236 [11:35:48] <nisshh> oh, or MH0 :)
 237 [11:35:59] <serfus> when we have started
 238 [11:36:03] <nisshh> MH0, but you werent her at the time :)
 239 [11:36:09] <zkriesse> Really who chairs the meeting for UY is council members
 240 [11:36:12] <zkriesse> Not just anyone
 241 [11:36:21] <nisshh> yeah
 242 [11:36:29] <serfus> anyhows let's continue
 243 [11:36:53] <nisshh> ok, so if no one else has anything to add, i will end the meeting?
 244 [11:37:06] <zkriesse> Hold on
 245 [11:37:28] <zkriesse> So all topics have been covered?
 246 [11:37:31] <arch_is_awesome> zkriesse: Yes
 247 [11:37:50] <Kaia> i have nothiing to add
 248 [11:37:53] <zkriesse> Ok then
 249 [11:37:55] <nisshh> zkriesse, well, as much as could be without you here, yes
 250 [11:38:04] <zkriesse> Well then let's go through it a bit
 251 [11:38:08] <zkriesse> We've still got half an hour
 252 [11:38:21] <nisshh> sure
 253 [11:38:24] <serfus> okay
 254 [11:38:34] <zkriesse> Ok, back to first topic if you please nisshh
 255 [11:38:35] <arch_is_awesome> Need to leave for a sec.
 256 [11:38:42] <nisshh> ok
 257 [11:39:04] <zkriesse> #project status(s)
 258 [11:39:06] <nisshh> [TOPIC]Project(s) Status & Completion Dates
 259 [11:39:09] <serfus> zkriesse, we didn't have much to say about topic 1 and 2
 260 [11:39:21] <nisshh> what serfus said
 261 [11:39:23] <zkriesse> Well, I kinda wanted to know...how are they progressing
 262 [11:39:37] <zkriesse> Ok then, Topic 3 is one I do need to talk about
 263 [11:39:39] <nisshh> i dont even remember who had projects last meeting
 264 [11:39:44] <MH0> zkriesse: I have a new proposition for a project
 265 [11:39:54] <zkriesse> MH0: We'll take care of that in UY
 266 [11:40:03] <nisshh> maybe we need a projects page on the wiki zkriesse?
 267 [11:40:07] <MH0> In UYC? Its concerning the Website
 268 [11:40:18] <zkriesse> nisshh: Indeed you're very right on that
 269 [11:40:23] <nisshh> ok
 270 [11:40:44] <zkriesse> nisshh: Topic 3 if you please
 271 [11:40:47] <nisshh> [ACTION] nisshh to setup a project summary page on the wiki
 272 [11:40:51] <nisshh> sure
 273 [11:41:06] <nisshh> [TOPIC]New Membership Process Discussion
 274 [11:41:21] <nisshh> zkriesse, go ahead
 275 [11:41:32] <zkriesse> Ok, due to the UY Council growing in size, we will be having a slightly different membership process
 276 [11:41:56] <MH0> Mentorship at last? :)
 277 [11:42:11] <nisshh> Mkaysi, serfus, arch_is_awesome, you all listening?
 278 [11:42:20] <zkriesse> For a while it was simply, "Apply, check the users lp and wiki page(s) if applicable, and then choose an experienced mentor to lead said applicant"
 279 [11:42:26] <serfus> sure
 280 [11:42:28] <zkriesse> Well, skip last part
 281 [11:42:38] <zkriesse> Just find em, get them a wiki page, they're in
 282 [11:42:47] <nisshh> yep
 283 [11:42:54] <nisshh> so whats changing?
 284 [11:42:59] <hakimsheriff> dats good
 285 [11:43:06] * Mkaysi is listening.
 286 [11:43:25] <zkriesse> But, since we are getting a sizable council, we should be able to find a few more good experienced folks who are willing to help lead/mentor the inexperienced or those who wish to be mentored in a particular subject
 287 [11:43:59] <zkriesse> Not necissarily will it be the Council doing the leading but us and a few others who ask/and are approved to do so
 288 [11:44:22] <zkriesse> That make any sense?
 289 [11:44:24] <serfus> so we will get the mentoring project more sorted out
 290 [11:44:26] <serfus> that's good
 291 [11:44:31] <zkriesse> Yes indeed serfus
 292 [11:44:45] * hakimsheriff agree with zkriesse completly
 293 [11:44:55] <nisshh> zkriesse, i think once the process gets worked out, a mentoring page in the wiki would be good
 294 [11:45:05] <arch_is_awesome> Google just sent a new computer here, I forgot about it.
 295 [11:45:18] <arch_is_awesome> I will come to the next meeting.
 296 [11:45:27] <zkriesse> nisshh: I was gonna work on that..if you'd like to collaborate with me on that and the project page that'd be awesome
 297 [11:45:35] <nisshh> sure
 298 [11:45:37] <arch_is_awesome> Just need to get this to work, curiosity is killing me,
 299 [11:45:54] <serfus> arch_is_awesome, sure, i'll update you
 300 [11:46:05] <nisshh> zkriesse, have anything else to add?
 301 [11:46:06] <zkriesse> arch_is_awesome: Don't worry, there will be logs
 302 [11:46:21] <zkriesse> nisshh: For that topic? Nadah
 303 [11:46:25] <nisshh> ok
 304 [11:46:30] <nisshh> any other topic?
 305 [11:46:37] <zkriesse> And that somewhat merges into topic four so we're good!
 306 [11:46:42] <nisshh> ok
 307 [11:46:50] <zkriesse> If nobody has anything else to add feel free to end the meeting nisshh
 308 [11:46:50] <nisshh> ill end the meeting then
 309 [11:46:54] <nisshh> yep
 310 [11:46:59] <nisshh> #endmeeting
 311 Meeting ended.

UbuntuYouth/Meetings/20110129 (last edited 2011-01-29 22:04:55 by zkriesse)